Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What do endurance bikes accomplish for you?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What do endurance bikes accomplish for you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-23, 08:02 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4575 Post(s)
Liked 1,721 Times in 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Here's an example: 2 road bikes. Same manufacturer, same year.

Race bike:

Sport Touring Bike:

Oh, I suppose you COULD race the Classique, but then, you could race a Hybrid if you were so inclined. But that's not what it was built for, whereas the Supreme above it was built to race.
Well, that's just a money thing - saying an entry level road bike isn't good enough to race.
Old 12-21-23, 08:08 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by Eric F
Same with most bike categories. Not all "race" bikes are exactly the same, either. Delineations between bike types can generally be made fairly easily when comparing the range of bikes of one brand (although much of it may be found in the marketing), but when you start comparing bikes of other brands, those lines can get blurry pretty quickly.

IMO, it's not necessary that bikes need to fit into rigid boxes where each type of bike must have the same set of defining features, expressed exactly the same way. We are served better by having more options than fewer.
They don't have to be the same, but we don't really have formal road race bikes categories like we have categories like endurance or gravel. Sure, we can call a bike "climbing" or "aero" or "crit", but we don't get too wrapped up in that stuff because they aren't really mutually exclusive - a road bike can be aero, light and fast handling.
Old 12-21-23, 08:14 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by bbbean
You are assuming you know better than a lot of riders what the "best choice" would be for them, despite them selecting some other bike?
No. I'm saying that a lot of riders don't actually know why they needed a feature like "stiff bottom bracket", but they get the impression that the engineering that went into them is valuable and that they should value it.

That doesn't mean that endurance bike features are bad. I would happily recommend a good endurance bike for the right cyclist. But I'm not addressing consumers - I'm having a conversation with thoughtful insiders who are aware of more aspects of cycle design than what's featured in an ad.
Old 12-21-23, 08:25 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
In an attempt to be helpful ... I put together a geometry comparison of the regular Domane SLR vs the Domane RSL in a size 56cm frame. The Trek Domane is one example of a specific model offered in an endurance geometry and a race geometry. Same name, two very different bikes. The RSL (race shop limited) is the race bike used by Lidl-Trek in some of the UCI cobble races. The SLR is the endurance version, the one that is more familiar to the general public and the one referenced earlier in this thread.

The SLR has a stack height in the realm of a beach cruiser , while the RSL is pretty long and low.

Cool post!

Interesting how the RSL ends up with about the same wheelbase because it shaves off about 1cm with a degree of steeper head tube angle, then puts it back with more rake. And what is the magic formula for a cobble race bike? Low trail for stability on rough ground.
Old 12-21-23, 08:35 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I deleted a lot of posts. There were some infraction-worthy posts in there, and some of you are close to being banned temporarily or permanently. We can discuss subjects like this without insults.
Honestly, why bother deleting the posts if there is no consequences to violating either the spirit or rules of the forum? Leave them up for all to admire.
Old 12-21-23, 08:42 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 961 Posts
I don't know about endurance. But, this thread has persistence.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 12-21-23, 09:55 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10555 Post(s)
Liked 12,148 Times in 6,218 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Except that's not the reality. Like "alloy" implies aluminum, if you say road bike without any more information you are talking about a race type bike. Otherwise, you use a modifier like "touring" or "flat bar". And you can argue all you want, but you know very well that you can say road bike and people will not be confused what kind of bike that is. Because if you wanted a touring bike, you would have said that.

Like alloy, road bike is both a type and a general heading.

I see my error was having taken you seriously.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-21-23, 10:05 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by genejockey

I see my error was having taken you seriously.
Thank you for adding yet another childish insult to a thread full of them. Anonymity is your friend. Bye.
Old 12-21-23, 10:20 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11056 Post(s)
Liked 7,607 Times in 4,244 Posts
Except that's not the reality. Like "alloy" implies aluminum, if you say road bike without any more information you are talking about a race type bike. Otherwise, you use a modifier like "touring" or "flat bar". And you can argue all you want, but you know very well that you can say road bike and people will not be confused what kind of bike that is. Because if you wanted a touring bike, you would have said that.

Like alloy, road bike is both a type and a general heading.
This definition of 'road bike' is hardly universal.

Amongst an A group ride, sure I could see 'road bike' consistently meaning 'race bike'.
But most everyone else? Most of those peasants will say 'road bike' when referring to their endurance road bike because it's absurd to say 'endurance road bike'. It likely doesn't matter to most whether or not they identify their bike in the specific category that the brand marketed it.

A road bike is a bike that typically has drop bars, typically has 32mm or narrower tires, and typically puts the rider in a more aggressive position compared to hybrids and other more upright bikes.
There are a lot of generalizations in that definition because there are a lot of exceptions.
A bike that was designed for CX but has 28mm slick tires and miniV brakes? - road bike.
A bike that was designed for a less aggressive position compared to the brand's race model? - road bike.
A bike that was designed for gravel but runs 28mm tires and a 2x with an 11-28 cassette? - road bike.

Nobody with an mtb and a road bike should be like 'honey, the box is in the garage next to my endurance bike' because that's dumb. They just say 'road bike' to differentiate that bike from the mtb.

Same for mtb- when someone at work says 'I saw a mountain bike on your rack in the parking lot- cool', does anyone respond with 'oh, you mean my downcountey hardtail.'?? Sure hope not.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-21-23, 10:25 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2674 Post(s)
Liked 5,902 Times in 3,031 Posts
Getting away from the drama… what my endurance bike did for me today was a 3 mile 980’ gravel climb. Would not do it on my race bike.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-21-23, 10:25 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
This definition of 'road bike' is hardly universal.

Amongst an A group ride, sure I could see 'road bike' consistently meaning 'race bike'.
But most everyone else? Most of those peasants will say 'road bike' when referring to their endurance road bike because it's absurd to say 'endurance road bike'. It likely doesn't matter to most whether or not they identify their bike in the specific category that the brand marketed it.

A road bike is a bike that typically has drop bars, typically has 32mm or narrower tires, and typically puts the rider in a more aggressive position compared to hybrids and other more upright bikes.
There are a lot of generalizations in that definition because there are a lot of exceptions.
A bike that was designed for CX but has 28mm slick tires and miniV brakes? - road bike.
A bike that was designed for a less aggressive position compared to the brand's race model? - road bike.
A bike that was designed for gravel but runs 28mm tires and a 2x with an 11-28 cassette? - road bike.

Nobody with an mtb and a road bike should be like 'honey, the box is in the garage next to my endurance bike' because that's dumb. They just say 'road bike' to differentiate that bike from the mtb.

Same for mtb- when someone at work says 'I saw a mountain bike on your rack in the parking lot- cool', does anyone respond with 'oh, you mean my downcountey hardtail.'?? Sure hope not.
I'm ignoring you. Stop quoting me, please.
Old 12-21-23, 10:28 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by rsbob
Getting away from the drama… what my endurance bike did for me today was a 3 mile 980’ gravel climb. Would not do it on my race bike.
Why not? You can put gravel tires on any them. I worked with a guy who did a big gravel race on his Dogma.
Old 12-21-23, 10:39 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2674 Post(s)
Liked 5,902 Times in 3,031 Posts
Why not? You can put gravel tires on any them. I worked with a guy who did a big gravel race on his Dogma.
not going to bite, Go argue with someone else.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-21-23, 10:40 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by rsbob
not going to bite, Go argue with someone else.
Than get off my thread if you can't politely discuss the topic. Is this just the Road subforum that is so toxic?
Old 12-21-23, 10:47 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5057 Post(s)
Liked 8,333 Times in 3,934 Posts
They don't have to be the same, but we don't really have formal road race bikes categories like we have categories like endurance or gravel. Sure, we can call a bike "climbing" or "aero" or "crit", but we don't get too wrapped up in that stuff because they aren't really mutually exclusive - a road bike can be aero, light and fast handling.
I don’t quite agree. We have definitely seen manufacturers with race bikes sub-categorized and marketed for different optimizations. For example, Canyon’s Aeroad vs. Ultimate, where aero features come at the cost of extra weight. That said, there seems to be a push by some manufacturers towards homogenizing the race category with one bike to rule them all - light and aero.

As for gravel, there are definitely different sub-categories. Canyon again provides an example with the Grizl vs. Grail. Gravel “race” bike features have common variations from “adventure” bike features (actual marketing terms may vary).

IMO, manufacturers are responding to the way people want to ride.
Old 12-21-23, 10:50 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Than get off my thread if you can't politely discuss the topic. Is this just the Road subforum that is so toxic?
This is not your thread. Being the OP does not give you any authority.
Old 12-21-23, 10:57 PM
Kontact

I don’t quite agree. We have definitely seen manufacturers with race bikes sub-categorized and marketed for different optimizations. For example, Canyon’s Aeroad vs. Ultimate, where aero features come at the cost of extra weight. That said, there seems to be a push by some manufacturers towards homogenizing the race category with one bike to rule them all - light and aero.

As for gravel, there are definitely different sub-categories. Canyon again provides an example with the Grizl vs. Grail. Gravel “race” bike features have common variations from “adventure” bike features (actual marketing terms may vary).

IMO, manufacturers are responding to the way people want to ride.
You said you disagree, than say what I did - that a bike can be a combination of all the various categories. That's very different than defining something by how it is mutually exclusive from another kind of bike.

This is not your thread. Being the OP does not give you any authority.
Thanks. Why no lecture for all the insulting posters? Are you part time forum police?
Old 12-21-23, 11:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Being able to do a “big gravel race” on a road bike with gravel tires doesn’t mean he faced the same level of terrain challenges as rsbob did on his recent ride. The gravel races I’ve done - including the well-known Belgian Waffle Ride in CA - have been less technically demanding than local trails I regularly ride on my gravel bike. Many of those same local trails are often included in my MTB rides, but I would never consider for my road bike, regardless of tires.
Old 12-21-23, 11:16 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

You said you disagree, than say what I did - that a bike can be a combination of all the various categories. That's very different than defining something by how it is mutually exclusive from another kind of bike.
A single bike can do lots of things if you want it to. I’m talking about refinements that offer marginal gains in specific areas. For some people those refinements matter.

It strikes me that you’re trying wanting to find more rigid boundaries between categories than actually exist.
Old 12-21-23, 11:16 PM
Kontact

Being able to do a “big gravel race” on a road bike with gravel tires doesn’t mean he faced the same level of terrain challenges as rsbob did on his recent ride. The gravel races I’ve done - including the well-known Belgian Waffle Ride in CA - have been less technically demanding than local trails I regularly ride on my gravel bike. Many of those same local trails are often included in my MTB rides, but I would never consider for my road bike, regardless of tires.
Then I'm confused. As repeatedly discussed, endurance bikes are for road use, and are not gravel bikes. Are you saying that endurance bikes make better gravel bikes than road bikes do?
Old 12-21-23, 11:20 PM
Kontact

A single bike can do lots of things if you want it to. I’m talking about refinements that offer marginal gains in specific areas. For some people those refinements matter.

It strikes me that you’re trying wanting to find more rigid boundaries between categories than actually exist.
No, I'm just pointing out the difference between defining something by what it has going for it and defining something by what negative qualities it lacks.

I'm not the one that coined the term endurance bike and made it a category. People have been making road bikes with endurancy qualities for a very long time without needing to draw a line.

Last edited by Kontact; 12-21-23 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-21-23, 11:43 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Then I'm confused. As repeatedly discussed, endurance bikes are for road use, and are not gravel bikes. Are you saying that endurance bikes make better gravel bikes than road bikes do?
I don’t think you’re confused at all.

Yes, I am…but this is just my opinion. The typical features that are found on an “endurance” road bike lean towards the “gravel” spectrum more than “race” bikes do. This includes rider position, steering dynamics, and tire clearance. Tire clearance being the biggest factor.

FWIW, I have not said that an “endurance” bike is exclusively for the road. Likewise, I don’t think a “gravel” bike is exclusively for the dirt. Both are slices from the wide spectrum of bicycles, and very often, those slices overlap. How each rider uses their bike(s) may vary significantly from another rider due to preferences and/or skills.
Old 12-21-23, 11:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11056 Post(s)
Liked 7,607 Times in 4,244 Posts
Ignore me then. My post was not improper. I did not insult you and I responded to a comment with genuine thought and context.
This thread, like all threads, is read and contributed to by the community. You may not want to read my comments, that's cool. It others may want to read my comments. Further, others may find benefit to my many detailed responses with actual data that helps show differences and similarities between road bike categories. Even further than that, others may find value in my actual examples which show how a taller person may fit on a brand's endurance bike while not fitting on the brand's race bike, this helping them see there is justifiable benefit in the endurance bike.

Quit complaining about a post that is respectful and informative and ignore me if you want to ignore me.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-21-23, 11:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10555 Post(s)
Liked 12,148 Times in 6,218 Posts
Clearly, you aren't.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-21-23, 11:52 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

No, I'm just pointing out the difference between defining something by what it has going for it and defining something by what negative qualities it lacks.

I'm not the one that coined the term endurance bike and made it a category. People have been making road bikes with endurancy qualities for a very long time without needing to draw a line.
The “line” is from the marketing department. The “line” is also not in a consistent place (based on frame dimensions) from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.