Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.3

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.3

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-23, 12:33 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10548 Post(s)
Liked 12,129 Times in 6,210 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
so with a speeding 2,000 lb car you get minor road rash but a 3,000 lb car and you're graveyard dead. Good to know.
There are no 2000 lb cars anymore. There are damn few 3000lb cars.

SUVs are now >52% of the cars sold, and they're not only bigger and heavier than ever, the front ends are taller and more massive than ever before. The height of the front end, plus the added height to make them look "off-road-y" makes it harder for drivers to see what's in front of them, making it more likely they'll hit pedestrians or cyclists. These are the choices consumers are making, buying ever-bigger SUVs instead of sedans or station wagons, and this is the result.

EDIT: the massive, blunt front ends of current pickups and SUVs are much more damaging at lower speeds than lower, more rounded vehicle fronts. Again, these are the choices consumers are making.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-11-23, 12:37 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3285 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 1,198 Posts
seems to directly correlate with the onset mobile phone texting.
We were following a texting motorcyclist last evening. All over the road. Finally he had the good sense to pull off the road to finish his business
Old 08-11-23, 12:39 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Originally Posted by genejockey
Yikes! That sounds unsettling!
To say the least. I didn't know you could get shocked by those things.
Old 08-11-23, 12:41 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 781 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28823 Post(s)
Liked 1,888 Times in 1,342 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
We were following a texting motorcyclist last evening. All over the road. Finally he had the good sense to pull off the road to finish his business
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 08-11-23, 12:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

New study suggests today’s SUVs are more lethal to pedestrians than cars

See also...

Old 08-11-23, 12:45 PM
seedsbelize2

Around here, the majority of households don't have internet service(it costs money, like trash pick up service). So the only place they have signal is out on the road, and they use it heavily out there.
Old 08-11-23, 12:49 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10217 Post(s)
Liked 5,926 Times in 3,193 Posts

SUVs are now >52% of the cars sold, and they're not only bigger and heavier than ever, the front ends are taller and more massive than ever before. The height of the front end, plus the added height to make them look "off-road-y" makes it harder for drivers to see what's in front of them, making it more likely they'll hit pedestrians or cyclists. These are the choices consumers are making, buying ever-bigger SUVs instead of sedans or station wagons, and this is the result.

EDIT: the massive, blunt front ends of current pickups and SUVs are much more damaging at lower speeds than lower, more rounded vehicle fronts. Again, these are the choices consumers are making.
Years ago, some oncoming idiot made a left turn in front of me and I ended up, more or less intact, on his hood. That outcome would have been quite different if he had been driving an SUV.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 08-11-23, 12:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Years ago, some oncoming idiot made a left turn in front of me and I ended up, more or less intact, on his hood. That outcome would have been quite different if he had been driving an SUV.
They'd have been picking bits of you out of the grill.

Old 08-11-23, 12:55 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9664 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,507 Posts
With the advent of electric cars, the weight of sedans is even blowing up. My Taycan weighed over 5,000 pounds, and that is fairly typical of EVs.

I'm guilty of driving an off-road SUV, but it has 360 degree cameras so it is pretty hard to not see what is around you. There are also few, if any, pedestrians around here other than the morning walk types in the hood.

Not all SUVs are the same. The hood line on my wife’s hits me about 6” below the hips, while the Bronco hits me about moob height (6’ frame for reference). That’s a significant difference.

Last edited by Mojo31; 08-11-23 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-11-23, 01:06 PM
seedsbelize2

Originally Posted by Mojo31
With the advent of electric cars, the weight of sedans is even blowing up. My Taycan weighed over 5,000 pounds, and that is fairly typical of EVs.

I'm guilty of driving an off-road SUV, but it has 360 degree cameras so it is pretty hard to not see what is around you. There are also few, if any, pedestrians around here other than the morning walk types in the hood.

Not all SUVs are the same. The hood line on my wife’s hits me about 6” below the hips, while the Bronco hits me about moob height (6’ frame for reference). That’s a significant difference.
Moob? Is that like gub?
OH! I see. Or I think I do. Nevermind
Old 08-11-23, 01:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

My biggest complaint about SUVs is that they're impossible to see through. BITD, when you were driving in traffic, surrounded by sedans, coupes, and station wagons, you could see through and around them and see what the car ahead was doing. Now? Unless you're in an EVEN BIGGER SUV, you can't see around or through the SUV ahead of you, and you only have their brake lights to go by. And so, when the number of SUVs on the road increases, more people want SUVs just to achieve parity.

Old 08-11-23, 01:07 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Moob? Is that like gub?
It's what you put in a Mansiere.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-11-23, 01:12 PM
seedsbelize2

The CRV is about the biggest SUV I see around here. The MG might be a little bigger, bit very few of those. I could never see the advantage of the CRV over the Fit. Inside space is about the same. There"s ground clearance of course. And more money spent. I think the second option is the main reason. Appearances
Very few full size trucks either, but lots and lots of box trucks
Old 08-11-23, 01:14 PM
seedsbelize2

It's what you put in a Mansiere.
I figured it out. Thanks.
Old 08-11-23, 01:15 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5056 Post(s)
Liked 8,327 Times in 3,932 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
today has not gone well so far. had time for a ride before getting on a plane in an hour to go to a funeral.

15 minutes in, felt some funny heart rhythms and a bit light headed. stopped. got off the bike. continued to feel off, didn't seem like full blown VT but definitely a bad rhythm. next thing i know, surrounded by concerned bystanders, face/mouth/lungs full of dirt, extremely confused. must have passed out very briefly. i don't think i got shocked by my AICD, but the device upload and a chat with the doc will confirm that. it's been at least 5 years since i fainted or had any sustained VT. a very unwelcome surprise, and now time to head to denver for a funeral.

also i rode through some unmarked wet white paint on the road, both tires look terrible.
YIKES! I'm glad things weren't worse, but that sounds pretty scary. Good luck.
Old 08-11-23, 01:39 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8383 Post(s)
Liked 9,279 Times in 4,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31

I'd rather be around a good driver in a monster truck than a bad driver in a small car.

A few of us were riding in the local mountains after a fire and subsequent rains clogged the debris basins and flowed mud onto the roads. Dozens of dump trucks around all day. Every one of those drivers was friendly and careful and they even waved us around when they were on a 15 mph descent. Of course, we were buzzed by an idiot in a sports car and we all remarked about the contrast between the trucks and the little car.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-11-23, 01:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by big john
I'd rather be around a good driver in a monster truck than a bad driver in a small car.

A few of us were riding in the local mountains after a fire and subsequent rains clogged the debris basins and flowed mud onto the roads. Dozens of dump trucks around all day. Every one of those drivers was friendly and careful and they even waved us around when they were on a 15 mph descent. Of course, we were buzzed by an idiot in a sports car and we all remarked about the contrast between the trucks and the little car.
Okay, but it's not like the drivers of monster trucks and SUVs aren't the same ****** drivers who were ****** drivers of smaller cars 10 years ago. Plus they're more distracted than ever, AND they can't see as well.

Professional drivers are rarely the problem because they're, you know, professionals. It's all the amateurs.

Old 08-11-23, 01:54 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9664 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,507 Posts
today has not gone well so far. had time for a ride before getting on a plane in an hour to go to a funeral.

15 minutes in, felt some funny heart rhythms and a bit light headed. stopped. got off the bike. continued to feel off, didn't seem like full blown VT but definitely a bad rhythm. next thing i know, surrounded by concerned bystanders, face/mouth/lungs full of dirt, extremely confused. must have passed out very briefly. i don't think i got shocked by my AICD, but the device upload and a chat with the doc will confirm that. it's been at least 5 years since i fainted or had any sustained VT. a very unwelcome surprise, and now time to head to denver for a funeral.

also i rode through some unmarked wet white paint on the road, both tires look terrible.
Wow! You are way too young for that. Take care of yourself!
Old 08-11-23, 02:01 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8924 Post(s)
Liked 3,085 Times in 1,782 Posts

I guess I wasn't clear. that graph shows an increase in pedestrian deaths by automobiles. Nowhere does it explain why. I would assume texting is a bigger cause. I can't see the horizontal axis so who can can say. They just decided to attribute it to big bad cars.

tl;dr
show your work Axios.
Old 08-11-23, 02:03 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8383 Post(s)
Liked 9,279 Times in 4,557 Posts
Okay, but it's not like the drivers of monster trucks and SUVs aren't the same ****** drivers who were ****** drivers of smaller cars 10 years ago. Plus they're more distracted than ever, AND they can't see as well.

Professional drivers are rarely the problem because they're, you know, professionals. It's all the amateurs.
I agree with you. I just wish more people would take driving seriously and realize they could maim or kill someone.
Old 08-11-23, 02:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I guess I wasn't clear. that graph shows an increase in pedestrian deaths by automobiles. Nowhere does it explain why. I would assume texting is a bigger cause. I can't see the horizontal axis so who can can say. They just decided to attribute it to big bad cars.

tl;dr
show your work Axios.
See #3305

Old 08-11-23, 02:08 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked 1,405 Times in 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
YIKES! I'm glad things weren't worse, but that sounds pretty scary. Good luck.
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Holy cow, hope you can get that worked out!
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Scary!
Sorry to hear about this. I had a fainting spell that was heart related. It got 6 weeks of no driving and wearing a monitor. Best of luck.
Yikes! That sounds unsettling.

Safe travels!
thanks everyone. it’s been so long since i had any real “incident” from my heart condition that the impact is probably more psychological than anything else. hopefully not a sign of any disease progression and just a random thing. will have to take it easy for a bit but there’s really nothing else that can be done. higher dose of meds i suppose.

i haven’t heard back from my EP yet but i’m actually thinking i did get shocked by the AICD after i passed out.

four out of the five people who stopped to help in the 30 seconds before and after were cyclists, and everyone was just incredibly nice, even offering to ride home and get their cars with bike racks to get me and the bike home. felt bad that i put a dent in so many people’s morning ride.
Old 08-11-23, 02:16 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5056 Post(s)
Liked 8,327 Times in 3,932 Posts
thanks everyone. it’s been so long since i had any real “incident” from my heart condition that the impact is probably more psychological than anything else. hopefully not a sign of any disease progression and just a random thing. will have to take it easy for a bit but there’s really nothing else that can be done. higher dose of meds i suppose.

i haven’t heard back from my EP yet but i’m actually thinking i did get shocked by the AICD after i passed out.

four out of the five people who stopped to help in the 30 seconds before and after were cyclists, and everyone was just incredibly nice, even offering to ride home and get their cars with bike racks to get me and the bike home. felt bad that i put a dent in so many people’s morning ride.
Look at it this way...You gave those people an interesting story to tell their friends and family. It's refreshing that there are still people who give a damn about other people, even ones they don't know.
Old 08-11-23, 02:30 PM
MoAlpha
• —

I don't know anything about implantable defibrillators, but isn't shocking you when you go down sort of the point?
Old 08-11-23, 02:32 PM
MoAlpha
• —

They'd have been picking bits of you out of the grill.
Precisely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.