Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Things your fellow commuters do that annoy you

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Things your fellow commuters do that annoy you

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-15, 08:31 AM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
My experience is different. Never seen anybody get confused when I ring my bell. I've had pedestrians on MUPS and sidewalks thank me for using my bell.
I've had folks thank me for announcing my passing. Never gotten a complaint about it. As a slower cyclist myself, I always appreciate when another rider lets me know they are approaching. I tend to swerve wide around obstacles and it would be a shame to have it cause an accident because someone thought it was impolite to say something as they approached.
Old 01-06-15, 08:33 AM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Your wait is over!

lol you know, maybe we were on to something as kids with the old playing card in the spokes.
Old 01-06-15, 08:56 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
Like this?

And yes, that bike IS comfortable.

Why would you assume it isn't?
10/10 would ride this on my commute on any day that ends in y.
Old 01-06-15, 09:03 AM
TenSpeedV2

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
But just think how fun and relaxing it would be passing cyclists and cars on a 50 pound, steel fendered Dutch bike! Seeing that would be the highlight of my ride.
It's even more fun on a daily commuter with no fenders, no hand brake, one gear and a ridiculous looking lower seat tube.
Old 01-06-15, 09:30 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Like this?

No assumption nessary, that bikes ergonomics and geometry would limit me to about 10 minutes of miserable riding. Drop bar, skinny tire road bikes are an automatic fail for me.
Old 01-06-15, 10:18 AM
yankeefan

Bikes: Too many to list

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like this?

That is by no means a comfortable bike. To be more specific, there is no way I would be comfortable locking that up outside in NYC for 8+ hours. Besides I can't see why anybody would commute on that. No rack mounts means you're going to be hauling a loaded backpack with your body positioned in a very aggressive aerodynamic manner. I can't imagine that being very comfortable for a 10+ mile commute.

Last edited by yankeefan; 01-06-15 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-06-15, 10:23 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,599 Times in 1,079 Posts
Like this?

I prefer a bike with pedals, lights, reflectors (bell too!) and something to carry my lunch; as well as one that I own rather than one displayed nice and shiny in an ad for fan boys to covet.

No need for a lock on that bike though since a bicycling ball and chain will never be left outdoors out of the owner's arm reach.

Light as it might be, not too comfortable to need to carry it everywhere.
Old 01-06-15, 10:46 AM
TenSpeedV2

Originally Posted by yankeefan
That is by no means a comfortable bike. To be more specific, there is no way I would be comfortable locking that up outside in NYC for 8+ hours. Besides I can't see why anybody would commute on that. No rack mounts means you're going to be hauling a loaded backpack with your body positioned in a very aggressive aerodynamic manner. I can't imagine that being very comfortable for a 10+ mile commute.
I ride something like this with less gears and bullhorns on an 8.5 mile commute each way, with that fully loaded pack on my back. Never had an issue. I have also done 50+ mile rides on it as well, again, no issue. If you can fit the bike to you, it becomes extremely comfortable.
Old 01-06-15, 10:52 AM
Jim from Boston

Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
For this bostonredsoxfan,

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I commute 14 miles one way with drop bars, and carbon fiber bike...makes me crave the ride.
I store my bike in my office, and use a backpack to carry lightweight items like extra clothes. The potholes don't bother me because here in Boston, the streets are paved with gold, and the citizens are honest and respect cyclists.
Old 01-06-15, 11:27 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
Plenty of riders commute on race bikes, quite comfortably, myself included. I know a guy who's a former state TT champ who will occasionally commute on his TT bike just to spend time getting comfortable on it. That doesn't work for everyone, but it works for him.
Old 01-06-15, 11:41 AM
yankeefan

Bikes: Too many to list

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I ride something like this with less gears and bullhorns on an 8.5 mile commute each way, with that fully loaded pack on my back. Never had an issue. I have also done 50+ mile rides on it as well, again, no issue. If you can fit the bike to you, it becomes extremely comfortable.
To each his own. I used to commute with 24 miles with a ~22lb backpack (u lock, flex cable, spare tubs & laptop alone made up half the weight) and after a couple weeks the back pain became unbearable and decided to get a bike with rack mounts. If it works for you then by all means.
Old 01-06-15, 06:23 PM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Like this?

Because it's not. That's a sporty bike, not a utility bike. It's built for sport, for speed, not comfort. Anyway, where are the fenders, where are the racks. Not really a useful commuting bike. All one needs to do is look at where commuting by bike is normal and see that the type of bike you posted is almost non existent. Yes that bike has it's use, but commuting really is not one of them.
Old 01-06-15, 06:39 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by harshbarj
Because it's not. That's a sporty bike, not a utility bike. It's built for sport, for speed, not comfort. Anyway, where are the fenders, where are the racks. Not really a useful commuting bike. All one needs to do is look at where commuting by bike is normal and see that the type of bike you posted is almost non existent. Yes that bike has it's use, but commuting really is not one of them.
Again, all that's necessary for a bike to be a commute bike is that it's ridden to work and back. Just because a bike isn't set up to commute in the manner you yourself prefer doesn't mean it isn't a useful or comfortable commute bike for someone else.
Old 01-06-15, 06:52 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,959 Times in 1,640 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Again, all that's necessary for a bike to be a commute bike is that it's ridden to work and back. Just because a bike isn't set up to commute in the manner you yourself prefer doesn't mean it isn't a useful or comfortable commute bike for someone else.
+1 ---- What defines a commuter bike is that it's used for commuting.

If we wish to debate how well it's suited to he purpose, then we have to consider the commute itself, and the preferences of the rider. What's well suited for a 2 mile in town commute for someone who needs to dress for work, is likely very different that what's best for someone riding 15 hilly miles each way, and has a place to change at work.

Likewise, with whether the commute is on well paved roads with good weather, or on dirt trails in rain (or any combination of road/trail and weather). There are more variations in commutes than there are bikes, so everyone has to ride what works out best for him.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-06-15, 06:55 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
That's entirely true, and it would be foolish to ride something one doesn't like, but its also true that at some level it becomes more about what one is willing to tolerate to make their preferences work.
Old 01-06-15, 06:57 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Liked 2,492 Times in 1,287 Posts
Like this?

It needs some platform pedals and a bell before it can be called a commuter bike.
Old 01-06-15, 07:04 PM
alan s 

Liked 190 Times in 129 Posts
It needs some platform pedals and a bell before it can be called a commuter bike.
I wouldn't commute on that unless it had electronic shifting and disc brakes.
Old 01-06-15, 07:14 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by alan s
I wouldn't commute on that unless it had electronic shifting and disc brakes.
Electronic shifting gets me so annoyed I start to shake violently and froth at the mouth and change from human into a werewolf.
Old 01-06-15, 07:50 PM
achoo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by harshbarj
"Because it's not"? "Where commuting by bike is normal"?

That doesn't even come close to answering why you assume that bike's uncomfortable. That's so off I think your answer might have boarded MH370.

Come on. Explain why you assume it's uncomfortable.
Old 01-06-15, 07:59 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

It needs some kind of pedals before it can even be called or used as a bicycle. But anybody can guess/dream that this thing is a comfortable bike with or without pedals.
Old 01-06-15, 08:03 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Sure some people can get comfortable in the wackiest positions if they can convince themselves of it.

Good luck with your comfortable commuting bike when you save up your pennies to buy it all by yourself.
Old 01-06-15, 08:08 PM
john4789

Bikes: Surly Steamroller FG, Trek 800 SS MTB, Omega Tandem Sport

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
It needs some kind of pedals before it can even be called or used as a bicycle. But anybody can guess/dream that this thing is a comfortable bike with or without pedals.
This is either a very stupid comment or a very lame "oh grandpa" joke. Hmm...
Old 01-06-15, 08:09 PM
wolfchild
Banned

To each his own. I used to commute with 24 miles with a ~22lb backpack (u lock, flex cable, spare tubs & laptop alone made up half the weight) and after a couple weeks the back pain became unbearable and decided to get a bike with rack mounts. If it works for you then by all means.
Backpacks don't cause back pain....Your unbearable back pain was most likely caused by your bike not fitting you properly or maybe you just have a very weak back and you need to strengthen your core.
Old 01-06-15, 08:16 PM
wolfchild
Banned

The problem with all these high performance racing machines is that they can't be ridden in comfort unless the person spends gobs of money on professional fitting, and even after professional fitting is done, they still have to wear a diaper and gobs of butt cream to prevent saddle sores.
Old 01-06-15, 08:26 PM
john4789

Bikes: Surly Steamroller FG, Trek 800 SS MTB, Omega Tandem Sport

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The problem with all these high performance racing machines is that they can't be ridden in comfort unless the person spends gobs of money on professional fitting, and even after professional fitting is done, they still have to wear a diaper and gobs of butt cream to prevent saddle sores.
Someone riding a bike like that for a commute is probably already riding on the weekends and has already had it fit. Their commute is just extra training. A guy passes me all the time in the summer who commutes with a teardrop helmet and racing bike. He is very fast and I assume he rides competitively on the weekends.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Likewise, with whether the commute is on well paved roads with good weather, or on dirt trails in rain (or any combination of road/trail and weather). There are more variations in commutes than there are bikes, so everyone has to ride what works out best for him.
Agree, or has multiple bikes for the conditions. I have a road bike for summer, a mountain bike for winter, a folding bike when I have to take public transportation one way, and a tandem bike when my wife and I are going to the same place. The type of bike chosen depends on the task at hand.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
here in Boston, the streets are paved with gold, and the citizens are honest and respect cyclists.
No.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.