Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-16, 04:00 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Has anyone had any issues using 10-speed chainrings on an 11-speed system? Lennard Zinn says there should be no problem but was curious if there's been any real-world issues here.

I am actually interested in this also.
I have dura ace SRM with rival rest. I was throwing around upgrading to electronic shifting on the race bike, but I don't want to replace SRM.
Old 07-05-16, 04:43 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
i don't think they changed the chainring teeth between 10 and 11. in fact, I've heard that 11 speed chains work better on 10 speed drive trains than 10 speed chains, in terms of shifting
Old 07-05-16, 07:40 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
this probably isn't helpful but i ran the opposite setup (11s chainring, 10s drivetrain) and it worked fine.
Old 07-05-16, 10:20 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
I am actually interested in this also.
I have dura ace SRM with rival rest. I was throwing around upgrading to electronic shifting on the race bike, but I don't want to replace SRM.
it's a non-issue. you won't have to replace any rings/power meter.
Old 07-05-16, 10:24 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsk
How do you guys transport multiple bikes including a TT bike with rear disc? For a single bike I've always just put it in the back seat with the front wheel in the trunk, but adding a second bike poses a problem. I'm considering a tray-style hitch-mount rack to put on my wife's SUV for traveling to stage races, but some of the more popular options (Thule T2 Pro, Kuat NV 2.0) don't work with a disc wheel since they are designed to run a strap through the rim of the rear wheel.

Reading through some discussions on the topic at slowtwitch, some recommend racks that use an arm over broth the front and rear wheels, such as 1up USA or Inno. Others say it's too risky with the disc wheel, put a training wheel on for transport. I guess my question is how much wind is the wheel going to catch at highway speeds if it's mostly sheltered by the SUV? I guess it's worth mentioning my disc is HED Jet+, so we're talking fairing/cover, not solid CF.

The training wheel seems like the safe/obvious option, but would be a PITA: having to bring an extra wheel in addition to race spares for the road bike, plus swapping the wheel and handling the chain, etc. But the biggest hassle is that the Jet+ barely fits my TT frame even with 23mm tires; the wheel has to be perfectly aligned in the horizontal drop-outs to avoid tire-rub when getting out of the saddle, and getting it right can take a bit of trial and error. I'd rather not have to be messing with that right before a TT is about to start if I can avoid it.
get the 1up. i've had it for 6+ years. works with every bike i've ever thrown on it......and depth road wheel (including disc), lefty forks, my kid's 20" then 24" and now 24plus bike, and my wife's new bike with 3.0 tires.

(3.0 turns out to be the maximum width in 'stock' configuration, but with a spacer kit you can fit up to 5" tires -- and, yes, i know some folks that actually have bikes with 5" tires that weigh more than their frame.)

love the modular aspect.

everyone who loads a bike onto my rack comments on how great it is, and that includes owner of pretty much every other rack.

highly recommended.
Old 07-05-16, 10:27 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
would you ditch srm for the shimano PM? doubt i would
i am always curious about any new power meter, and for sure i'd be happy to try it out if given one for free or at low cost. however, i've had enough experience with power to no longer want to be a retail tester.

many years ago i wanted to believe the hype of the new kid on the block and happily paid my money. i came to realize the value in a mature product design.

i hope the shimano meter is accurate, reliable and reasonably priced. i hope their is continued downward pressure on the market (i'd like to see ACCURATE and RELIABLE power democratized).

we'll see what happens with this one. it's not coming for basically another year.
Old 07-05-16, 10:53 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
i don't think they changed the chainring teeth between 10 and 11. in fact, I've heard that 11 speed chains work better on 10 speed drive trains than 10 speed chains, in terms of shifting
Originally Posted by mike868y
this probably isn't helpful but i ran the opposite setup (11s chainring, 10s drivetrain) and it worked fine.
Originally Posted by tetonrider
it's a non-issue. you won't have to replace any rings/power meter.
Kool, thanks. I guess I'll start looking for good deals on electronic shifters, and decide shimano vs sram.
Should I start a thread in Road Cycling?
Old 07-05-16, 11:20 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
you know I always wondered whether sram front shifting would be better with shimano chainrings. it probably will be. but how will it compare with shimano front derailleurs?
Old 07-05-16, 11:25 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get the 1up. i've had it for 6+ years. works with every bike i've ever thrown on it......and depth road wheel (including disc), lefty forks, my kid's 20" then 24" and now 24plus bike, and my wife's new bike with 3.0 tires.

(3.0 turns out to be the maximum width in 'stock' configuration, but with a spacer kit you can fit up to 5" tires -- and, yes, i know some folks that actually have bikes with 5" tires that weigh more than their frame.)

love the modular aspect.

everyone who loads a bike onto my rack comments on how great it is, and that includes owner of pretty much every other rack.

highly recommended.
Thanks for the feedback. So you feel the disc wheel is OK on the rack at highway speeds?

I had initially ruled out the 1up in favor of the Inno because several reviews mentioned the lack of security, but I see they now offer a hitch lock that works with the current models, as well as a way to lock the wheels in place.
Old 07-05-16, 11:27 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsk
Thanks for the feedback. So you feel the disc wheel is OK on the rack at highway speeds?

I had initially ruled out the 1up in favor of the Inno because several reviews mentioned the lack of security, but I see they now offer a hitch lock that works with the current models, as well as a way to lock the wheels in place.
i tend to not travel with my disc that way, but i've done it plenty. it's at the back of the vehicle and a bit sheltered. i don't think some wind on the disc is going to do much, anyway. that just my opinion, though.

as for security....i never use anything on my 1up, but i also don't really leave it alone. someone could always have the right combo of wrenches to essentially open up the rack/remove struts/whatever and defeat any security. that's pretty much true with every rack i've seen. i don't really worry about it, but i also have no idea where you live/travel and how comfortable you are.
Old 07-06-16, 06:40 AM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyone try the Specialized Power (Pro or S Works) saddle? Currently using a Selle Italia SLR Max Flow. Just demo'd two of the ISM saddles, and *hate* how wide they are up front.
Old 07-06-16, 06:55 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I've got the lower-end one on my TT bike. The shape is the same, just the padding and rails are different. I really like it. It turned the TT bike from a torture rack into something I could ride for a couple of hours comfortably. A lot of guys around here have put them on their road bikes and are happy with them; I'm considering doing the same thing.

Demain, on roule!
Old 07-06-16, 08:21 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I really need a new saddle. My Specialized Toupe 135 is wearing away at the front and I'm sure it's completely worn out internally. Might have to find a good local shop and try some out.
Old 07-06-16, 08:57 AM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i tend to not travel with my disc that way, but i've done it plenty. it's at the back of the vehicle and a bit sheltered. i don't think some wind on the disc is going to do much, anyway. that just my opinion, though.

as for security....i never use anything on my 1up, but i also don't really leave it alone. someone could always have the right combo of wrenches to essentially open up the rack/remove struts/whatever and defeat any security. that's pretty much true with every rack i've seen. i don't really worry about it, but i also have no idea where you live/travel and how comfortable you are.
I agree given enough time thieves can get around almost anything. I'd like to be able to run into the store or grab a bite to eat without having to worry too much. It may also be convenient at times to leave the rack mounted when not hauling bikes, in which case the rack itself could be a target for theft. 1up used to say that the proprietary bolt head was sufficient security, and even offered free replacement if your rack was stolen. But they've discontinued that policy due to a "steep increase in thefts" and now offer a hitch lock, so I guess they came around on that issue.
Old 07-06-16, 09:47 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
I really need a new saddle. My Specialized Toupe 135 is wearing away at the front and I'm sure it's completely worn out internally. Might have to find a good local shop and try some out.
If you're thinking of keeping with the Toupe, the new style is much better built. I've got ~7k on one and there's no sagging like I experienced with the old ones.
Old 07-06-16, 09:51 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Good to know. I feel like the Toupe was comfortable for me when it was new (otherwise I'm not sure why I would've kept it). But now I get some numbness and it feels like it sags. There aren't as many comfortable places on it anymore.

I think I have a Phenom on my track bike, which is fine for the amount of time I spend on that bike. Maybe I should swap them and see if I like that.
Old 07-06-16, 10:01 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
If you're thinking of keeping with the Toupe, the new style is much better built. I've got ~7k on one and there's no sagging like I experienced with the old ones.
That tempts me to give it another try. The sagging was a huge problem for me, it actually ends up seriously aggravating my knee if my pedaling platform isn't rock solid. I do need a new saddle next season probably, and the changed the design on my current Phenom, so. Hmmm.
Old 07-06-16, 01:11 PM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am one those who switched from Toupe to Power because of the sag issue. I like it well enough. My wife rides the same width toupe (143) and hates the Power, so there's that. Net 0.

I put our spare Toupe on the TT bike and was pleasantly surprised that I wasn't split in half. People must get fearful of a firm saddle for tris because it came with this lazy boy of a Cobb saddle.
Old 07-06-16, 05:30 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Still waiting on my eTap order (order in since March). Local shop still can't get their hands on the upgrade group.
I see it "in stock" on a few websites, but I'm holding out to get my sponsored team shop discount.

Anyone else seeing it available locally or have any insider info?

Last update I got was "maybe July".
Old 07-06-16, 07:34 PM
rankin116

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried the Power from a Toupe and my ass was not a fan at all. Back on a new Toupe and really liking it, no sagging issues at all.
Old 07-06-16, 09:47 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2772 Post(s)
Liked 3,362 Times in 1,760 Posts
Most saddles I've used have been so-so at worst. I'm riding an old Flite right now, forgot how comfortable that thing was.
Old 07-07-16, 06:51 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
I tried the Power from a Toupe and my ass was not a fan at all. Back on a new Toupe and really liking it, no sagging issues at all.
Did you have to buy the Power or did someone have one you could test. I'm interested in giving it a go.

(I tried the Toupe once. I think I described it as an "Ass hatchet.")
Old 07-07-16, 06:52 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by ancker
Still waiting on my eTap order (order in since March). Local shop still can't get their hands on the upgrade group.
I see it "in stock" on a few websites, but I'm holding out to get my sponsored team shop discount.

My LBS says there is still a waiting list. I want it, but I don't want to pay for it right now.
Old 07-07-16, 07:19 AM
rankin116

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Did you have to buy the Power or did someone have one you could test. I'm interested in giving it a go.

(I tried the Toupe once. I think I described it as an "Ass hatchet.")
I bought it, but the Clean Machine has a 30 day return policy. They said it's Specialized's way of having saddle demos without needing actual demo saddles.
Old 07-07-16, 05:45 PM
tpero

Bikes: Specialized Allez E5, Specialized Crux Pro, S-Works Langster

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ancker

Don't know about local, but I ordered etap from R&A Cycles in NY a couple weeks ago and got it a few days later. Saved sales tax, might be as good as your discount

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.