Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

My twitter feed

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-10, 06:44 PM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by mcjimbosandwich
DO IT!!! You'll be doing your part in spreading the gospel of classic bars!
Yeah, I think I am. My daughter just went to sleep so I'll get it set up, just hoping the bar tape will be good for a re-wrap because I couldn't find any microtex bar tape at the local shops.

Originally Posted by hammy56
Classic bend ftw.
Certainly is in my case. I got the Ritchey Logic Curve because I wanted to give them a try after getting them for cheap, but after a few months I've had my fill.

Last edited by roadiejorge; 09-30-10 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-30-10, 07:32 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
@caloso- not sure if you saw my post, but I edited it because I thought both my champ and Hinc. stuff was the same size but when I got home I doublechecked and I was wrong...
Old 09-30-10, 07:46 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
Rewired a 4 lamp fixture that goes over my kitchen sink. New lamp sockets everywhere and really nasty wire pulls to get to them. It took 2.5 hours, lots of "Joy" to get the wires slippery, and many choice curse words in several languages but it is done. It should be good for another 22 years. I installed that thing in 1988 including running the power to the area above the sink.
Old 09-30-10, 07:47 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2772 Post(s)
Liked 3,362 Times in 1,760 Posts
I am this close (------| |------) to buying a candy-apple red Saeco edition Caad7 frameset. Should be miles better than the heavy-ass Kinesis that I am riding now (that I purchased for $150 from a BF member), which is by far the worst component of my bike lol.

I might have to splurge on a hollowgram SI crankset too.

I just recieved a good chunk of change from a Cal State grant that I was not expecting. I took out a loan and recieved a modest grant at the beginning of the semester and figured that was that. However, they intended on granting me more but didn't have the funds at the original disbursement date. Nice suprise.

I have direct deposit set up so I checked my bank balance and saw a balance that was more than a grand from what I expected to see. Hmmm....

Went to the finaid office to make sure it wasn't a mistake; it ain't. I made them email me and print me a receipt too so no one can take it back from me now.

Sweeeeeeet

Last edited by TMonk; 09-30-10 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-30-10, 08:18 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8419 Post(s)
Liked 9,330 Times in 4,584 Posts
TMonk, you live in Arcata? How's the economy/job market in the area? Lots of road riders there?
Old 09-30-10, 08:24 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mollusk
Rewired a 4 lamp fixture that goes over my kitchen sink. New lamp sockets everywhere and really nasty wire pulls to get to them. It took 2.5 hours, lots of "Joy" to get the wires slippery, and many choice curse words in several languages but it is done. It should be good for another 22 years. I installed that thing in 1988 including running the power to the area above the sink.
I knew you looked familiar!
Old 09-30-10, 08:26 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Spartacus in 35 minutes...killin time listening to John Hiatt and cookin some chicken and crueltons

Last edited by Racer Ex; 09-30-10 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-30-10, 08:26 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
TMonk, you live in Arcata? How's the economy/job market in the area? Lots of road riders there?
And do you know a photog named Brandi?
Old 09-30-10, 08:34 PM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TMonk

I just recieved a good chunk of change from a Cal State grant that I was not expecting. I took out a loan and recieved a modest grant at the beginning of the semester and figured that was that.
Nice. Getting extra financial aid doesn't happen often. Can you save it and not have to work as much?

One year I was at HSU I spent some of my financial aid on a motorcycle. But it meant that I had to work one extra evening a week, which was more of a drag on my studies than I'd expected.

What's your major?
Old 09-30-10, 08:38 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
Nice. Getting extra financial aid doesn't happen often. Can you save it and not have to work as much?

One year I was at HSU I spent some of my financial aid on a motorcycle. But it meant that I had to work one extra evening a week, which was more of a drag on my studies than I'd expected.

What's your major?
It probably also meant that you had to pick up an extra night a week to keep going out with all the girls that dug you and your motorcycle.
Old 09-30-10, 08:46 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Classic bend ftw.
I think I want to replace My Ergosums with Rotundos. Have to check the reach/drop first.
Old 09-30-10, 08:48 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Spartacus in 35 minutes...killin time listening to John Hiatt and cookin some chicken and crueltons
Oh damn! Mrs John has her shows lined up starting at 8:00 and I can't get Universal Sports in the bedroom, (no converter box).
Old 09-30-10, 08:51 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by ericm979

What's your major?
I'm a Chemistry student that is 4 units and less than 2 months from having a BS ACS certified degree. I am applying to numerous PhD programs in a few weeks. UCSB is on the top of my list (materials research department)

ATM I am working on my senior seminar (50 min powerpoint in front of faculty/senior class w 2010 research and older supporting articles). I'm into organic/organometallic solar cells, specifically the nuts and bolts of electron excitation ( from sun light) to photocurrent. I'm really enthusiastic about this stuff and have no problem spending time on every night on it until it's done.
Old 09-30-10, 08:51 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
two movies today.

City of God first, which was very, very excellent. Highly recommended.

2012 was second, which was awful. Please don't watch it. Even if you like disaster movies, don't watch it. It's bad. I kept getting pulled out of the story by the completely ridiculous stuff going on with no basis in physics.

I have no problem suspending the laws of the real world, if you set it up correctly. The Matrix, or Star Wars, or LOTR for example. Those have their own rules in the universe that they operate in.

This movie pretended to be operating in our universe, but it had way too many things that didn't make sense.
Old 09-30-10, 08:53 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Oh damn! Mrs John has her shows lined up starting at 8:00 and I can't get Universal Sports in the bedroom, (no converter box).
are you guys getting audio commentary? whatever that was on last night had only ambient background noise...

I'm a Chemistry student that is 4 units and less than 2 months from having a BS ACS certified degree. I am applying to numerous PhD programs in a few weeks. UCSB is on the top of my list (materials research department)

ATM I am working on my senior seminar (50 min powerpoint in front of faculty/senior class w 2010 research and older supporting articles). I'm into organic/organometallic solar cells, specifically the nuts and bolts of electron excitation ( from sun light) to photocurrent. I'm really enthusiastic about this stuff and have no problem spending time on every night on it until it's done.
very nice, another chemist who's a Monk fan
Old 09-30-10, 08:54 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
I knew you looked familiar!
He has way too much hair on top and way more $'s in the bank.

And not enough gray in the beard. I have one teen-aged son just starting college and another just starting HS. I should not have waited to my late 30's to have kids. Having teen-aged boys has put a lot of gray into my beard.

And I have done things on my house that he couldn't do. I replaced a load bearing column (6"x6") on my house that was rotting at the bottom and was causing "sag" to the second story with a purchase of about $50 in lumber total for the actual column member as well as all of the other things I needed to make it happen and not using any jacks (hydraulic or otherwise - I have used car jacks for things like this before , but only for much smaller loads). We had been quoted a cost of about $1K to do the job by a contractor.

Understanding that the coefficient of dynamic friction is less than the coefficient of static friction and what impulse really means (and how to apply an impulse so that the frictional force isn't impulsive as well) can lead you to methodology that works like a charm and is very cheap. And it was.
Old 09-30-10, 09:01 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

If you are interested in growing pot or becoming a forester, than there are tremendous opportunities here for you.

The only two places I can work up here as a chemist are at HSU or Northcoast analytical labs, not that I am interested in staying here anywho...

But the road cycling and racing community here is bigger than one might think. There are tons of 3's, a few 2's and a few ex-pros. Also, we are getting more and more talent every semester from the student racing/HSU cycling team crowd. My roomate last year was the first rider that we ever sent to collegiate road nats, but we lost him to Fort Lewis college in Colorado where he is currently racing against Ze on the road and the trail.

Last edited by TMonk; 09-30-10 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-30-10, 09:02 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by Flatballer
two movies today.

City of God first, which was very, very excellent. Highly recommended.

2012 was second, which was awful. Please don't watch it. Even if you like disaster movies, don't watch it. It's bad. I kept getting pulled out of the story by the completely ridiculous stuff going on with no basis in physics.

I have no problem suspending the laws of the real world, if you set it up correctly. The Matrix, or Star Wars, or LOTR for example. Those have their own rules in the universe that they operate in.

This movie pretended to be operating in our universe, but it had way too many things that didn't make sense.
You got to go into these movies with the proper mindset to enjoy them.

When I watch movies like this, I expect, even look forward to all of the faux-physical explanations that they give as an additional source of amusement.

EDIT: I concur City of God is really good.

Last edited by TMonk; 09-30-10 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-30-10, 09:03 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

And do you know a photog named Brandi?
Nein.
Old 09-30-10, 09:07 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old 09-30-10, 09:11 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk

Understanding that the coefficient of dynamic friction is less than the coefficient of static friction and what impulse really means (and how to apply an impulse so that the frictional force isn't impulsive as well) can lead you to methodology that works like a charm and is very cheap. And it was.
Does that mean you just hit the new column with a big hammer until it was where you wanted?
Old 09-30-10, 09:12 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Does that mean you just hit the new beam with a big hammer until it was where you wanted?
he hit it with the big nerd hammer.
Old 09-30-10, 09:12 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by umd
Ya it's a pretty prestigious graduate school so i'm keeping my fingers crossed but not exactly holding my breath.

I'm hoping to bank on my minority status (Mexican - 2nd generation American) and research experience there last summer.
Old 09-30-10, 09:27 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
You got to go into these movies with the proper mindset to enjoy them.

When I watch movies like this, I expect, even look forward to all of the faux-physical explanations that they give as an additional source of amusement.

EDIT: I concur City of God is really good.
If you're gonna make a campy disaster movie, then sure, I'll watch that. It might even be a cult classic, people like campy.

However, this was supposed to be legit, but it was just so, so fake, while trying to be passed off as real.
Old 09-30-10, 09:28 PM
big john

If you are interested in growing pot or becoming a forester, than there are tremendous opportunities here for you.
I'm a mechanic, actually. I am pretty sick of it, so how do I become a forester? An old friend lives in Eureka and he loves it up there.

Nice to hear there is a lively road scene.

Last edited by big john; 09-30-10 at 09:33 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.