Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

eBay / CraigsList finds - "Are you looking for one of these!?" Part II

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.
View Poll Results: ...
a
100.00%
b
100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

eBay / CraigsList finds - "Are you looking for one of these!?" Part II

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-16, 05:39 PM
CuttersRidge

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
I contacted this seller, the notorious "Schwinderella", 20 minutes after the bike went up on CL. It was listed at $200 then. I told him I would like to come take a look at it tonight, and if I liked it, pay his asking price.

Then I went to lunch. When I came back a half hour later, the price had bloated to $260.

Now, the 531-tubed Tom Kellogg signature Ross is going to some lucky soul for $275. That seller told me he knew he could start a bidding war, but decided to honor his original asking price. According to Andrew Muzi of Yellow-Jersey, Ishiwata 022 tubing indicates that the tubeset for an average 54-56cm frame weighs 2.2 kilograms. One would surmise that the 024 version, which I've seen called "ultra-strong", weighs in at 2.4 kilos for the same size tubeset.

I have a 531 frame in 56cm here, and it weighs just a tick over 4 lbs, so less than 2 kilos. So obviously the 531 tubing is lighter, and by most accounts I've read and heard, superior. All of which is a long way of saying that I was a buyer for this Ross Aristocrat at $200, but not so much at $260.
I was reading about the different "ISHIWATA" tubes, it sounds like the lower the number, the better.. but don't quote me on that.

----------

DETEL Legend 4000 built in Green Bay Wi!

The Detel Legend 4000 is in Very Good Shape, Everything moves as it should. These bikes are hard to come by as they where only built for a Very Short Time! So if interested let me know. Serious Buyers Only Please. I am Asking $200 for the bike.
You will need to email or text to set up a time to look at the bike.

Details: Detel Bikes were made in the USA for less than a year in 1985 in Green Bay, Wisconsin. They went out of business about seven months after production began when they did not have the cash promised to start up, or as some say, an investor backed out. Once the company went out of business the bikes were mostly given away as bonuses by companies selling autos or appliances, although quite a few were sold in real bicycle stores. They have been found with Ohio bicycle store labels on them. Only two models were made, the higher-end Marathon (Ishiwata 022) and the more standard Legend (Ishiwata 024). There was also a numeric designation (either 6000 or 4000) added to the model name to indicate the grade of the componentry.

---------------------

So, this is a Detel Legend; Marathon having better tubing, I'm not sure I have seen a Marathon.

Last edited by CuttersRidge; 11-01-16 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-01-16, 05:42 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Liked 2,238 Times in 1,215 Posts
Seller should include a picture of the rusty seatstay if it is bad enough that he thinks it needs replacing. Rest of the bike looks nice.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/5855864106.html

Campagnolo parts - $600 (Waltham)

I have a Vintage Fausto Coppi with a problem. This frame has rust on the left seat stay. I believe this can be repaired by a skilled frame builder, but we've decided to sell the bike as is. The steel frame is Columbus Genius. Gruppo is Campagnolo Record 9-speed, although the crankset is Chorus (53/39). Hubs are Campy Record; hand built wheels with blue rims. The headset is Campy. Carbon fiber fork and levers. The only thing not included with this bike are the pedals seen in the photo. The bike is about 20 years old and has obviously had some parts upgrades over time. Beautiful bike, beautiful ride. Let me know if you have questions.

I'm not interested in breaking up the bike and selling the components separately. This is an "all or nothing" deal.

Fausto Coppi by Masciaghi, 54cm
Old 11-01-16, 05:44 PM
CuttersRidge

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
Same guy offering the $500 tires.

New Old Stock MONGOOSE Two Six tires

Not my type of seller...
This must be a misprint, $50 probably, I've visited his "recycler" website, in general, I think recyclers may up their products by $25-$75 dollars.

schwinnderella's Bike Shop

-------------------------------------------------------------

There are plenty of other places in the TC to look for bikes, I know the thrift stores use to get good (decent) bikes with regularity, now, I'm not so sure.

One can also post a "wanted", there's a few good deals that have totally escaped me,; I'm not an active buyer at that but maybe again, some day.
Old 11-01-16, 05:46 PM
CuttersRidge

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Seller should include a picture of the rusty seatstay if it is bad enough that he thinks it needs replacing. Rest of the bike looks nice.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/5855864106.html

Campagnolo parts - $600 (Waltham)

I have a Vintage Fausto Coppi with a problem. This frame has rust on the left seat stay. I believe this can be repaired by a skilled frame builder, but we've decided to sell the bike as is. The steel frame is Columbus Genius. Gruppo is Campagnolo Record 9-speed, although the crankset is Chorus (53/39). Hubs are Campy Record; hand built wheels with blue rims. The headset is Campy. Carbon fiber fork and levers. The only thing not included with this bike are the pedals seen in the photo. The bike is about 20 years old and has obviously had some parts upgrades over time. Beautiful bike, beautiful ride. Let me know if you have questions.

I'm not interested in breaking up the bike and selling the components separately. This is an "all or nothing" deal.

Fausto Coppi by Masciaghi, 54cm
Very nice, Seller says the left chain stay has a rust problem.
Old 11-01-16, 06:02 PM
CuttersRidge

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Boston CL, some folks might like this, $80. Providence, R.I. actually, could be a real deal, Columbus tubing.

https://providence.craigslist.org/bop/5855030813.html

-----------
https://capecod.craigslist.org/bik/5853861664.html

Vintage KTM bicycle for adult with height about 5' to 5'10". Wheel set is 700x32C size. Shimano Positron derailleur, Shimano "Light Touch" shifters. Built in Austria, I believe (and crank is printed "France"). Lovely wrapped handlebars. Bell. Reflectors. Spring-loaded rear rack. Red L/XL helmet included.

----------

Phillips Roadbike (but Raleigh made? I can't help but think it looks heavy, Phillips did make some decent roadbikes in the 1950s under their own marque. ), still very unique:
https://capecod.craigslist.org/bik/5850998912.html

Tall 1960s Phillips road bike from England with some French parts. Cables need attention. Only$75
Old 11-01-16, 06:12 PM
CuttersRidge

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Again, I'm not there, here are some interesting Peugeots, very vintage, seller claims not sold in US, looks like found in a "bike junk yard" for lack of a better term. May be very unique. The man's bike takes 650 wheels it says.
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/5835110953.html

-----------

Chicago area, Raleigh Record Mixte, $90.

Vintage Raleigh woman's commuter /Roadbike VGC!
Old 11-01-16, 07:47 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Liked 1,721 Times in 613 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
Same guy offering the $500 tires.

New Old Stock MONGOOSE Two Six tires

Not my type of seller...
Well, I may have to temper my criticism here. I've just met this seller, and he really is just another guy who really likes bikes. When I got home from work, I called him again to find out about the price increase, and he told me flat out that he didn't do his homework on this one, and once he did, priced it accordingly.

So he asked me what bikes I have that I might be willing to trade, and I told him about my home-made Specialized Rockhopper - turned Curbhopper Cargo Bike:

It no longer has the front basket on it. The porteur rack is more useful without it. But I don't use it anywhere near as much as I intended to.

Long story short: I loaded up this bike and went over there, we chatted for about forty minutes, test rode each other's bikes, and did the trade. This really is a very nice Ross, possibly top of the range at the time it came out. It's even lighter than I expected, and rides very smoothly. The Shimano 600 is the nicest non-indexed drivetrain I have used, which says more about my limited experience than it does about that groupset.

But now I've got my high-end Ross, and it only cost me a bike I don't use very much. I'll post photos when I get a chance. Finally, a happy ending!
Old 11-01-16, 10:31 PM
Dougbloch 

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Nishiki Linear Time Trial "Funny Bike"

You don't see these pop up too often but you can find plenty of discussion on them here and elsewhere. Made from Tange 2 steel with Shimano 105 components. I bet I could flip it for more on eBay if I was one of those guys...

Vintage Nishiki Linear Time Trial Road Bike

Vintage time trial funny bike for sale! This bike will surely turn heads. It has shimano 105 components, brown laser seat by San Marco. 700c rear wheel and 24 inch front wheel. Tires are a little flat but hold air. It does have some rust due to age and can use a minor tune up.
Old 11-01-16, 10:34 PM
Dougbloch 

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
52cm Late 70's Alan built Guerciotti Frame Set - $250

Nice looking frame here!

52cm Late 70's Alan built Guerciotti Frame Set

Up for sale is a late 70's Alan built Guerciotti. Frame dimensions are 52cm c-c seat tube, 52cm c-c top tube and 60cm c-c downtube. The frame set comes with frame, fork, headset and seatpost. Campagnolo bottom bracket and wheelset are not included in the sale. Price is firm at $250
Old 11-01-16, 11:21 PM
artclone

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Suberbe, '92 (German) Centurion Equipe, '85 Schwinn Peloton, 1983ish Zunow Road Racer project, '69 Squanch Super Tourer, 1980 Bianchi Super Corsa, '82 Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, '89 Miyata 914 project, 1982ish Bianchi Rallye

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dougbloch
Nice looking frame here!

52cm Late 70's Alan built Guerciotti Frame Set

Up for sale is a late 70's Alan built Guerciotti. Frame dimensions are 52cm c-c seat tube, 52cm c-c top tube and 60cm c-c downtube. The frame set comes with frame, fork, headset and seatpost. Campagnolo bottom bracket and wheelset are not included in the sale. Price is firm at $250
Just saw this too. Love the details. Glued (bonded) aluminum? Wonder how it rides.
Old 11-01-16, 11:23 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1989 OS Schwinn Paramount

Liked 2,105 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0yef
Can't find it maybe a trick not a treat...
Aye, it most likely be hidin' from ya. Here it be.

Same price etc etc. I got a response to my serial number (which I gave them) and got a non-specific "it's close-ish" type of answer. Dang it this thing needs rescuing.
Old 11-02-16, 03:59 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Liked 277 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Dougbloch
You don't see these pop up too often but you can find plenty of discussion on them here and elsewhere. Made from Tange 2 steel with Shimano 105 components. I bet I could flip it for more on eBay if I was one of those guys...

Vintage Nishiki Linear Time Trial Road Bike

Vintage time trial funny bike for sale! This bike will surely turn heads. It has shimano 105 components, brown laser seat by San Marco. 700c rear wheel and 24 inch front wheel. Tires are a little flat but hold air. It does have some rust due to age and can use a minor tune up.
Rust isn't due to age, it's due to neglect.
Old 11-02-16, 05:55 AM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Well, I may have to temper my criticism here. I've just met this seller, and he really is just another guy who really likes bikes.

But now I've got my high-end Ross, and it only cost me a bike I don't use very much. I'll post photos when I get a chance. Finally, a happy ending!
Happy that it worked out for you. Most of that guys stuff seems reasonably priced, but once in a while he swings for the bleachers (for whatever reason).

Biggest reason I retain slight skepticism is due to the volume of inventory and wondering where it comes from as well as how much quality time and parts are invested before listing. Some of the other local flippers use duct tape for rim tape and tire boots, so I would probably need the same conversation time with the seller to get as confident about a purchase. Chalking up your experience in the plus column for him though, he sometimes finds good stuff and obviously passed the Ross along to you at a fair price ultimately.
Old 11-02-16, 06:37 AM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Liked 221 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by MetinUz
It's a Ron Cooper. Nice find.
Sweet. How can you tell? From the lugs?
Old 11-02-16, 08:12 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 355 Times in 178 Posts
Well, I may have to temper my criticism here. I've just met this seller, and he really is just another guy who really likes bikes. When I got home from work, I called him again to find out about the price increase, and he told me flat out that he didn't do his homework on this one, and once he did, priced it accordingly.

So he asked me what bikes I have that I might be willing to trade, and I told him about my home-made Specialized Rockhopper - turned Curbhopper Cargo Bike:

It no longer has the front basket on it. The porteur rack is more useful without it. But I don't use it anywhere near as much as I intended to.

Long story short: I loaded up this bike and went over there, we chatted for about forty minutes, test rode each other's bikes, and did the trade. This really is a very nice Ross, possibly top of the range at the time it came out. It's even lighter than I expected, and rides very smoothly. The Shimano 600 is the nicest non-indexed drivetrain I have used, which says more about my limited experience than it does about that groupset.

I'm glad you got one you liked...

As I recall the aristocrat was the predecessor of the ross signature line, and was only around for a year or so. I believe it was Ross's first effort to compete at a lighter weight class. Ishiwata tubing is very well regarded...the 0019 was, I think, the lightest tubeset of its time. The 0024 is more like tange 2 in weight/thickness. There were a lot of 531 variants around, so comparing is problematic.
Old 11-02-16, 08:20 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Liked 1,721 Times in 613 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I'm glad you got one you liked...

As I recall the aristocrat was the predecessor of the ross signature line, and was only around for a year or so. I believe it was Ross's first effort to compete at a lighter weight class. Ishiwata tubing is very well regarded...the 0019 was, I think, the lightest tubeset of its time. The 0024 is more like tange 2 in weight/thickness. There were a lot of 531 variants around, so comparing is problematic.
Yeah, I guess that being a British bike fan kind of biased me in favor of the Reynolds product. The more reading I do on this supports your assertion that they all have similar traits, and basically you get what you pay for. Andrew Muzi says that the finish on the Ishiwata raw tubing was better than the Columbus, in his experience. The more I look into this frame building subject, the more fascinating it gets.
Old 11-02-16, 08:25 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I think you'll find that it's what a builder does with a tubeset rather than inherent qualities of the tubing. The reason the 531 Ross was so special is because it's one of the VERY few TK built frames out there (he stopped actually building in 83' or so). An EXTREMELY rare custom TK built frame. Many of the TK built customs were ishiwata in fact. Some SL. The 531 might have been by request. It wasn't special because of the tubing. There are a ton of 531 frames around...hell, Sears sold one.

TK designed the 294 and 292, but, to my knowledge, he didn't build them. I believe Jim redcay designed the later MTB's...I'm not sure who made them. Probably Jim, Jeff duser and another guy or two. The bill Boston build tree is my favorite, and kellogg is, to me, with Ritchey as most important US builders.

There are really only two bikes I regret missing out on...one was an ishiwata TK Ross from about 5 years ago.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 11-02-16 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-02-16, 08:30 AM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
There are really only two bikes I regret missing out on...one was an ishiwata TK Ross from about 5 years ago.
Only two?
Old 11-02-16, 08:35 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by TimmyT
Only two?
I'm a humble guy

Actually three:

A wood rimmed frejus at $500 which I didn't know enough about at the time to snag.
The Ross.
A pink lotus super aero pro...but I did eventually get one (unfortunately not pink).

DQ...you might enjoy this thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...oss-bikes.html

A scion of the Ross family chimes in and it's very interesting stuff.

Ross was a big deal near me because it was Allentown. When I was of that age, people had moved on from De Rosa/Colnago lust and a TK designed Merlin was THE most lusted for bike no one I knew could afford. One guy let me ride his at the NE airport training races once...it made my Spwcialized Sirrus seem like a Flexy POS.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 11-02-16 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-02-16, 09:33 AM
Dougbloch 

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
1970s Bob Jackson with full Campy

1970s Campagnolo Equipped Road Bike

Fully equipped Bob Jackson in excellent condition!

Selling part of my soul with this lovely vintage bike.

56 CM, Columbus frame and fork, all components neuvo record.
Old 11-02-16, 09:35 AM
Dougbloch 

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Mondia Special with Campy

Here's a somewhat rare bird.

Vintage Mondia Special *campagnolo

Classic Mondia for sale. Very nice lugged steel frame with Reynolds 531 tubing. Made in Switzerland. Campy components and Mafac brakes. Wheels are campy laced to Mavic MA40s. Call or text for more info, thanks.
Old 11-02-16, 09:36 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Liked 619 Times in 281 Posts
Vintage Elswick Bicycle - Made in England - $550

Looks to be in great condition. I don't really know where Elswicks stand in the pantheon of English bikes; I wouldn't pay $550 for it, but perhaps someone knows more than I about this:

https://salem.craigslist.org/bik/5855516185.html
Old 11-02-16, 09:36 AM
Dougbloch 

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
1973 Raleigh Competition

1973 Raleigh Competition 57cm Vintage Road Bike Original

Very nice original 1973 Raleigh Competition, Reynolds 531 double butted lugged steel. Frame is 57-cm center to center on the seat tube, top tube is 57-cm center to center. Original black, all the original decals. Original Normandy high-flange red label tubular wheelset. TA double cranks, Huret Jubilee derailleurs, Suntour barcons, GB stem/bars, Avocet saddle. Nice clean original 40-year old bike, no dents, no crashes, in storage for the last 20 years. Original sewups, so you'll want to put on new tires. $475 firm.
Old 11-02-16, 09:38 AM
Dougbloch 

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
1968 Raleigh Carlton Super Course

So many nice vintage bikes close to me on CL! More nice pics if you click the ad link.

58cm 1968 Raleigh Carlton Super Course w Reynolds 531

This may well be the classic vintage bike that you have looking for.
It looks and rides swell.
The bike is all original. Reynolds 531 CroMoly steel frame & forks
Brooks saddle
Forged GB stem
Wheel set has high flange hubs laced to aluminum Weinman rims w double butted spokes. It even has the original metal valve stem caps. The brake hoods are in great shape, no evidence of crashing, no dents, no dings, no rust. All original cables and housings.
The chrome is shiny and the paint is still lustrous although some of the original stickers have long since peeled off. Replacements are readily available on line. Come check out this piece of cycling history. L'Eorica anyone?
Old 11-02-16, 10:03 AM
CuttersRidge

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm glad you got that bike DQrider, it looks like a real winner!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.