Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-16, 10:25 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I'm off and have my feet up. Gotta go slow to go fast.
Old 02-22-16, 10:57 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Day off today...6 hours this weekend and my legs are feeling it.
Old 02-22-16, 11:49 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
When's the last time you did an LT test, these numbers don't make any sense.
Originally Posted by gsteinb
way to give 128%!

:/
Probably lives in West Quoddy Head, Maine!!
Old 02-22-16, 12:05 PM
grolby

Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
That sounds damn promising!
Well, February is the month of promise. We'll see if that promise delivers in May and June! (And July, and September, October, November, December and January - this is gonna be a loooooong season).
Old 02-22-16, 12:42 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,109 Times in 1,418 Posts
Anaerobic capacity work this morning. I know this is a weakness of mine so it was very satisfying to hit all my wattage targets.
Old 02-22-16, 07:04 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
Probably lives in West Quoddy Head, Maine!!
Well done.
Old 02-23-16, 09:06 AM
lupy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Not sure where to post this, but interesting data on HR changes seen this year only. I have been collecting HR data on my kid for going on 10 years now. This year his TT effort has his HR several BPM below last year, and the year before... I think it is the rowing. His max remains about the same (for 10 years) when rowing, but we have not seen it on the bike this year, or close. While this supports the case HR is variable and not to be trusted, it does not seem to vary within the season. I'm thinking this means the focus should be on adding mass and less aerobic on the bike. The endurance piece is still to be dealt with and that tends to offset gains in mass.

What type of rowing does he do or would you recommend for the lay person? If I went to the gym and got on one of those rowing machines would that be effective? I have time that I can spend at the gym, but not on my bike because of life. Should I do z2 go all out etc? Let me know if my question makes sense or not.
Old 02-23-16, 09:19 AM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
90' on the rollers+fg commuting as hard as I could with traffic/lights/etc. honestly i think it's a much better workout to just do a longer roller ride, but my car is broken so it's either bike or carpool.

did an 8*30" set on the rollers. weird workout, tbh. in part because i've done so little AWC work in my day that I've got a lot to learn about how to go that hard, in part because 6:20AM is a weird time to turn yourself inside out, and in part because i had the resistance setting too low for the first one and managed to spin out my biggest gear. as TKP warned though the 2' recovery is death. lots of progress to make with these.

Last edited by mike868y; 02-23-16 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-23-16, 09:27 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

I find the first 4 or 5 hurt but aren't terrible. After that the pain is worse than any other workout, 30 seconds might as well be 30 hours. If/when you get a power meter, it's a great way to generate absurd east coast NP numbers.
Old 02-23-16, 10:16 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
A bit of a different "Moody Tuesday" today. Instead of hitting the steep hill for all the intervals, I did a few on the gradual ascent toward the hill.

I'm doing Chico this weekend, but it's not a target and I haven't been able to fit in aerobar work. So I did a couple IAB efforts and one in the drops to see where power is.

IAB 5' is ~65 watts lower than climbing. Drops is only 25 watts lower. Both yielded the same speed at ~17 mph. I guess IAB is worth 40 watts even at low speeds. Crazy.
Old 02-23-16, 10:23 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Liked 372 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by lupy
What type of rowing does he do or would you recommend for the lay person? If I went to the gym and got on one of those rowing machines would that be effective? I have time that I can spend at the gym, but not on my bike because of life. Should I do z2 go all out etc? Let me know if my question makes sense or not.
To repeat I'm sharing my observations only. I'm not a coach but I am a groupie, so I do see a lot of this stuff. I know USA cycling coaches say it is a good idea as long as it does not conflict with cycling.

So my view FWIW...
Join a club.
If there is no club then I have no recommendation per-sey, but I'll ramble a bit and you can maybe get something from it.
For enhancing cycling - Yes - go "all out". Do 500m ~ 1:30 ish, 2K the competition distance ~ 7 min ish. The zone 2 stuff should be done in the sport you consider the priority. So for cycling - do Z2 on the bike.
Rowing, like cycling is mostly an adult/older adult sport. You will develop a slightly bigger upper body (back and shoulders) than most cycling requires and the knee bends are deeper. There are good on-line video programs using machines (Google Xeno Muller - we used to ride with him and his wife pre Olympic medal).
I think machines take a bunch of mental focus similar to swimming laps. My wife and son are that type, I am not. If you can use it for zone 2 more power to you, but as it uses more body it also takes more cardio. So a HR that might be burning the legs in cycling won't be burning anything in rowing. It is more whole body exhaustion. I would use rowing for peaking HR rather than building muscle - so zone 4+.

Son is in a club and they workout on the machines in the clubhouse and then also on the water. He sweeps (one oar) in an 8 man and 4 man and skulls (one oar each hand) in a 2 man. The Concept II is the machine. NEWPORT SEA BASE ROWING

Last edited by Doge; 02-23-16 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-23-16, 10:37 AM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I find the first 4 or 5 hurt but aren't terrible. After that the pain is worse than any other workout, 30 seconds might as well be 30 hours. If/when you get a power meter, it's a great way to generate absurd east coast NP numbers.
yeah i had a similar experience. a PM is on my tax refund list but i'm having car problems again so I may have to reprioritize.
Old 02-23-16, 10:40 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
i had the resistance setting too low for the first one and managed to spin out my biggest gear.

level 0?

I typically use 0 for recovery
1 for up to 300 watts, though I can hit 400 at a pretty workable cadence for short efforts.
2 for most intervals
I only use 3 for all out sprints.
Old 02-23-16, 10:44 AM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i think i was on 1 for the first interval (this is where i usually do my threshold work) and bumped it to 2 for the rest. i'm weak.
Old 02-23-16, 11:09 AM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday 1.5 hr Z2, stomach bug timing not good, have two road races this weekend. Another 1.5hr Z2 today
Old 02-23-16, 12:40 PM
lupy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To repeat I'm sharing my observations only. I'm not a coach but I am a groupie, so I do see a lot of this stuff. I know USA cycling coaches say it is a good idea as long as it does not conflict with cycling.

So my view FWIW...
Join a club.
If there is no club then I have no recommendation per-sey, but I'll ramble a bit and you can maybe get something from it.
For enhancing cycling - Yes - go "all out". Do 500m ~ 1:30 ish, 2K the competition distance ~ 7 min ish. The zone 2 stuff should be done in the sport you consider the priority. So for cycling - do Z2 on the bike.
Rowing, like cycling is mostly an adult/older adult sport. You will develop a slightly bigger upper body (back and shoulders) than most cycling requires and the knee bends are deeper. There are good on-line video programs using machines (Google Xeno Muller - we used to ride with him and his wife pre Olympic medal).
I think machines take a bunch of mental focus similar to swimming laps. My wife and son are that type, I am not. If you can use it for zone 2 more power to you, but as it uses more body it also takes more cardio. So a HR that might be burning the legs in cycling won't be burning anything in rowing. It is more whole body exhaustion. I would use rowing for peaking HR rather than building muscle - so zone 4+.

Son is in a club and they workout on the machines in the clubhouse and then also on the water. He sweeps (one oar) in an 8 man and 4 man and skulls (one oar each hand) in a 2 man. The Concept II is the machine. NEWPORT SEA BASE ROWING

Thanks. I'm just looking for other ways to work on my endurance while I condition my butt (and my mind) to sitting on the bike longer. I can also take my son to play in the kids area at the gym for a bit while I hit the rowing machine for some variety. I understand its not as good as cycling per se, but I don't plan on substituting but supplementing.
Old 02-23-16, 12:56 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by lupy
Thanks. I'm just looking for other ways to work on my endurance while I condition my butt (and my mind) to sitting on the bike longer. I can also take my son to play in the kids area at the gym for a bit while I hit the rowing machine for some variety. I understand its not as good as cycling per se, but I don't plan on substituting but supplementing.
Aerobics - yes, endurance sounds like you don't have much choice. I can't say it is better than running on the treadmill. I use it a bit in the gym to warm up, but I always go too hard and get fried. At the highest aerobic levels it is better than cycling because you cannot get your breathing and HR that high without a lot of leg pain - and then you still can't. I would suggest viewing some video for technique.
Old 02-23-16, 03:34 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Group ride this morning and some solo. My second ride on the new madone frame. I like it, besides the color! I am used to having power (my quarq is on my sworks) so it's weird to look down and see a blank space on my Garmin screen. I might look around the local forums for a PM.
Old 02-23-16, 05:23 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bummer. I just sold my SRAM SRM.
Old 02-23-16, 07:13 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

2.5hrs ~124bpm z1 derpin on the trainer.

Not junk miles!

Last edited by TheKillerPenguin; 02-23-16 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-23-16, 07:25 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Currently sitting in bed drinking a beer, nursing a cold.
Old 02-23-16, 11:20 PM
abhirama

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Ridley Fenix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of resistance should one use for this kind (z4-5) of stuff? Asking because I am not sure if rowing machines (we also have a concept 2 at the gym I occasionally go to) vary the distance with resistance.
Old 02-23-16, 11:31 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by abhirama
What kind of resistance should one use for this kind (z4-5) of stuff? Asking because I am not sure if rowing machines (we also have a concept 2 at the gym I occasionally go to) vary the distance with resistance.
My son sets on 7 but you can adjust the fan settings (resistance), but do whatever is comfortable. Just like cycling some do max power at 90 and some 100. It is a ergo-meter, so it measures what you do. Use 500m splits time. So... see how fast you can do 500m. It does depend on your weight. I like trying to hit 1,000W (I have not yet) by just sprinting 10 strokes. Although I think that is a good way to hurt your back, just I'm stupid that way. Do this in a gym and you will get lots of attention.
Poke around here: World IRC Qualifying Times | Concept2

Last edited by Doge; 02-23-16 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-23-16, 11:53 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My son sets on 7 but you can adjust the fan settings (resistance), but do whatever is comfortable. Just like cycling some do max power at 90 and some 100. It is a ergo-meter, so it measures what you do. Use 500m splits time. So... see how fast you can do 500m. It does depend on your weight. I like trying to hit 1,000W (I have not yet) by just sprinting 10 strokes. Although I think that is a good way to hurt your back, just I'm stupid that way. Do this in a gym and you will get lots of attention.
Poke around here: World IRC Qualifying Times | Concept2
Did that once ... puked shortly afterward as a result.
Old 02-23-16, 11:58 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by hack
Did that once ... puked shortly afterward as a result.
Are you confirming it is a good cardio / z4+ workout?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.