Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Landis drops EPO bomb on modern Pro Cycling. Lance is in the bullseye

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...
View Poll Results: Are Landis' allegations true?
Landis' allegations are likely true
61.94%
Landis' allegations are likely false
23.51%
Don't know, too early to tell
14.55%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Landis drops EPO bomb on modern Pro Cycling. Lance is in the bullseye

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-10, 01:57 PM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Bikes: Brompton S2L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
via compcyclist's twitter: If you have 20 minutes to kill, this is a nice 3yr old article. https://is.gd/chTBt

The Lemond/Landis phone conversation part is interesting.
Old 05-20-10, 02:04 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 389 Posts
Originally Posted by pearcem
I really don't see how anyone is missing the credibility issue here..
Obviously there's a huge credibility issue. However, there almost always are credibility issues in prosecuting crimes. The witnesses to crimes are often criminals themseleves, and have motives to lie. Yet people get convicted on the basis of testimony of such people all the time.

There are a number of ways to evaluate the credibility of a witness. The witness' past statements is only one of them.

Others include is the Witness' testimony consistent with the testimony of other witnesses? Yes. Is it consistent with physical evidence ? Yes.
Is the witness' testimony against their own self interest? Yes. Does the testimony contain specific verifiable details? Yes. Is it consistent with common sense? Yes

And did the witness make prior consistent statements before any motive to lie arose? This last one may be key. If he really has detailed journals referencing these people contemporaneous to the events, it would add a whole bunch of credibility to this.

So it's way too simplistic to just dismiss Landis' allegations out of hand because he's a known liar.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-20-10, 02:09 PM
$ick3nin.vend3t
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
but, but, but without the boss, will anyone even watch?
Not gonna be missing what will be the best, most dramatic Tour of 010....
Old 05-20-10, 02:09 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I liked watching Barry hit dingers. I liked watching his dad. Actually I liked watching the Willies, Mays and McCovey.

I talked to this football player who said he used steroids, in high school, in 1974. My best friend in HS was using HGH.There were no tests, no penalties for using PEDs. They work. That's why athletes use them.
Old 05-20-10, 02:12 PM
spingineer
Spinning like a gerbel

Bikes: Seven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
He got caught, plain and simple. But instead of taking the punishment (like Basso, Millar to name a few), he vehemently denies ever taking it. Now, he finally admits doing it ... how is anyone supposed to trust a guy with this track record? Oh, and he decides to announce this right when the Tour of California and Giro d'Italia is going on. What a friggin' loser.

I always thought the year he won the Tour de France was suspect. How can you lose so much time on one day, then beat the whole field by yourself by the same time margin without the aid of something? When I heard he was accused of doping, that didn't come as a surprise to me at all.

My Cycling Blog
Old 05-20-10, 02:19 PM
fly:yes/land:no
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
1) the test results aren't hearsay. Hearsay is an out of court statement offered in court to prove the truth of the matter asserted. Even after Crawford v. Washington, forensic test results aren't excluded as hearsay, as long as the expert conducting the test authenticates the results in court.

2) The test of Armstrong's 1999 sample was done following appropriate protocol. The rules at the time, however, only allowed the results of tests done later on frozen samples to be used for research, not for sanctioning purposes. So while that test can't be used to bring sanctions against Armstrong it does not alter the fact the the test was positive, and an extremely strong indicator that Armstrong used EPO around the 1999 Tour de France.
chain of custody would be pretty tough to prove imho, especially considering the sample was stored for 6 years before testing. the point is probably moot for now, as armstrong has stated that he is not pursuing legal action against landis.
Old 05-20-10, 02:19 PM
Uncle Jams Army

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Obviously there's a huge credibility issue. However, there almost always are credibility issues in prosecuting crimes. The witnesses to crimes are often criminals themseleves, and have motives to lie. Yet people get convicted on the basis of testimony of such people all the time.

There are a number of ways to evaluate the credibility of a witness. The witness' past statements is only one of them.

Others include is the Witness' testimony consistent with the testimony of other witnesses? Yes. Is it consistent with physical evidence ? Yes.
Is the witness' testimony against their own self interest? Yes. Does the testimony contain specific verifiable details? Yes. Is it consistent with common sense? Yes

And did the witness make prior consistent statements before any motive to lie arose? This last one may be key. If he really has detailed journals referencing these people contemporaneous to the events, it would add a whole bunch of credibility to this.

So it's way too simplistic to just dismiss Landis' allegations out of hand because he's a known liar.
Actually, it is quite simple to dismiss Landis' allegations. There is no way a prosecutor would attempt to prove anybody else doped based on the word of a known, psychopathic liar. You'd have to have some overwhelming physical evidence to support his testimony to even get a prosecutor to entertain indicting someone (assuming a crime had been committed here).
Old 05-20-10, 02:27 PM
ndbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure exactly why FLandis waited until now too drop this bomb. I doubt it was a sudden latent guilt. If that were it I'd wait awhile and write that come clean book when people have forgotten what a farce I've made. He does open himself up to defamation and liable suits so if it's money it's a risky bet. Perhaps he does have something other than his alleged observations to go on and the money will begin to flow to keep the evidence suppressed and all he has to do is continue to look like a lying idiot. I watched agog at Floyds performance in the 06 TDF and was really disappointed when he was accused of doping. I've always felt in my gut he was lying even though I hoped it wasn't true. The sad part about it is that I believe him now. I believe that Lance, Levi even Dave Z are dopers too. The real tragedy is that I am beginning not to care. I also believe that nearly all the top level cyclists are dopers and have been for, well, forever.

Last edited by ndbiker; 05-20-10 at 02:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-20-10, 02:28 PM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Bikes: Brompton S2L

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by *****3nin.vend3t
Yeah! The Giro's been great, eh?
Old 05-20-10, 02:28 PM
Smoked

Bikes: trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
but, but, but without the boss, will anyone even watch?
The way Versus has been F'in this thing up... doubt it..
Old 05-20-10, 02:29 PM
pearcem

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with what you are saying. Some of those are reasons why I said that unfortunately many of his allegations probably true, I was just trying to point of the problem with the mentality of, "well he cheated, so he knows the who's who of cheating, and now he came clean, so we should listen to him". He has basically made a career out of denying his involvement with this whole mess over the past few years, and with some of the statements he has made, I see this as a little bit more than a typical situation where the accuser's credibility is questionable. There is plenty of other evidence to look at that supports these claims. I personally don't see the point in believing a man who has fallen from the top and dedicated the past few years of his life to ruining his reputation very rational.
Old 05-20-10, 02:30 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
go away little boy.
Old 05-20-10, 02:30 PM
Staarkhand

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The theme in cycling, especially it seems in the last year or so, is riders getting busted and when they eventually confess to everything they talk about how many tests they passed and how they worked with doctors who had inside knowledge of how to beat testing protocols. Was it Kohl who said the biological passport could be used to help riders adjust their dosing to beat the tests? Basically they're all saying that they beat the system for years and could have continued to do so but they got unlucky or screwed up.

That's one reason I don't think it's unfair to suspect riders who have never failed a drug test. The other is, like RX points out, we catch more people through busting doctors and suppliers than we do through tests - loads of athletes, not just cyclists, are convicted/suspended without ever failing a test. And when the mountain of evidence is such as that against Lance, with 6 people saying they have first hand experience, not to mention people like Vaughters who imply as much but haven't gone on record, always has and still does surround himself with questionable people, publically hires a personal doctor to publish testing results during the off seaon and then oh btw cuts the program for 'logistical difficulties', it strays into the realm of wishful thinking to say he's always been clean just because he's never failed a drug test, oh which he has, I mean never been punished for failing a test.
Old 05-20-10, 02:32 PM
fly:yes/land:no
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OrionKhan
They said the same things about Jose Conseco. Same with CJ Hunter (Marion Jones former spouse). Neither of these people are great guys. And the defense against them was always the same. Attack their character and fall back on the "I've never failed a test" card. Funny how all of the baseball players who threatened to sue Jose never did. Years later after his book, we're coming to find out the Jose might be a crappy dude, but was right about the steroid use in baseball. And former media darling, Marion Jones, was stripped of medals and did jail time.
the reason that canseco and hunter were okay was because there was later information that emerged proving what they had said. without the mitchell report, i think canseco gets sued. without the victor conte evidence and the skipped drug test, hunter doesn't look too great. while the accusations may have led to the more intense scrutiny which ultimately sprung the trap, there has to be something more than accusations. i'm not saying that one will not show up, but there is no more tangible information about lance now than there was yesterday. if landis can produce something, okay, but i think it will take a third party bringing in some BIG information.
Old 05-20-10, 02:34 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 389 Posts
Originally Posted by Uncle Jams Army
Actually, it is quite simple to dismiss Landis' allegations. There is no way a prosecutor would attempt to prove anybody else doped based on the word of a known, psychopathic liar. You'd have to have some overwhelming physical evidence to support his testimony to even get a prosecutor to entertain indicting someone (assuming a crime had been committed here).
I'm not suggesting anyone's going to get charged with a crime.

I doubt USADA is going to do much of anything either.

I am suggesting that there is a whole lot of reason to believe that some or all of what Landis is saying is true.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-20-10, 02:35 PM
$ick3nin.vend3t
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tsuru
Yeah! The Giro's been great, eh?
Not gonna be too long now before the ToC overshadows The Giro.

botto's in full agreement.
Old 05-20-10, 02:43 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Just to point out something - Floyd is saying he started with the whole dope thing June 2002. The doping statute of limitations is 8 years. In other words next month the stuff he's experienced starts gets tossed legally. He said he wanted to get it on record before June. Which happens to be right now.

He also told Neil@Road that he didn't intend the emails to get leaked - he was requesting amnesty for all the riders involved.
https://neilbrowne.com/2010/05/landis...rivate-e-mail/.

cdr
Old 05-20-10, 02:47 PM
Bobsled

Bikes: Litespeed Classic (55cm), Specialized Tarmac Pro (56cm)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Just to point out something - Floyd is saying he started with the whole dope thing June 2002. The doping statute of limitations is 8 years. In other words next month the stuff he's experienced starts gets tossed legally. He said he wanted to get it on record before June. Which happens to be right now.

He also told Neil@Road that he didn't intend the emails to get leaked - he was requesting amnesty for all the riders involved.

cdr
See, we are all wrong. He is a good guy afterall.

Specialized Tarmac, lasts a lifetime, or until it breaks.
Old 05-20-10, 02:49 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Eh, I feel like he's unable to clear his name, knows everyone else is guilty as well, so decides to come clean and out everyone else in the sport as well. He's cycling's Canseco.

And, everyone should remember that Canseco was eventually proven correct about most everything he said. Love him or hate him, I lean towards believing him.
Old 05-20-10, 02:50 PM
aggro_jo
sittin' in

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.cycle-smart.com/blog/2010...etty-boy-floyd

A pretty good read (link borrowed from a local board)
Old 05-20-10, 02:52 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
are you really that much of an idiot?
Old 05-20-10, 02:54 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13768 Post(s)
Liked 4,579 Times in 2,531 Posts
Sports generally has a performance-enhancing culture. Look at the advertisers here and on the other sites you visit.

Just on this site:

"are you tired of being tired?" take this pill or drink this drink.

Got a race coming up? Get some Race Day Boost.

The sales pitches kinda sound like they are selling PEDs to me.

Last edited by rjones28; 05-20-10 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-20-10, 02:56 PM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not gonna be too long now before the ToC overshadows The Giro.
Jesus Christo you're an idiot.

TOC will likely go the way of the Tour Du Pont and other forgotten American stage races.
Old 05-20-10, 03:02 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carpediemracing

cdr
But wait another month and nobody needs amnesty? What da f....
Old 05-20-10, 03:03 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Say it ain't so, Joe. I want to believe.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.