Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I'm not convinced wider tires are better

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I'm not convinced wider tires are better

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-18, 02:26 PM
Spoonrobot 

Liked 211 Times in 124 Posts
I extremely skeptical of the full inch of movement, barring any evidence from you I think your figure is not grounded in reality. It's much higher than Rinard tested any of his forks and higher than the Heine video above indicates. I did see a blurb in the latest BQ about forks flexing up to 20mm (3/4") but I do not recall what his actual testing showed. Would be happy to see something confirming your number.
Old 07-09-18, 02:33 PM
63rickert

Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Yeah, carbon rims have been past the 30mm mark for a while. My brain is on aluminium. The new Cannondale comes with 23c Rubino tires that inflate to 26mm on that rim. Funny an $11,000 bike comes with second line tires. The ad copy also says the bike is designed for 26-28mm tires, though some 30mm tires might work. Staggering versatility there. Modern design at it's best.

In other news Rotor announces new 13 speed cassette. Gotta have it.

So does your fork crown have 9mm clearance to spare? Something in reserve for the really big bumps? I try not to pay that much attention to modern bikes, my impression is most of them lack much clearance anywhere for anything. And thus they need to be stiff. And thus the designers head for wider and more forgiving tires. There are good reasons for wide tires and unfortunate reasons for wide tires.

"Send in the clowns. Oh wait, they're already here."
Old 07-09-18, 02:41 PM
Kontact

Liked 1,845 Times in 1,195 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Not at all. But it's silly to make a blanket statement about the way a type of fork rides, especially based on your personal experience alone. If i told you that the carbon disc fork on my touring bike is extremely comfortable and rides well, would you say I was lying?

To me the statement "Disc forks ride poorly" is as silly as saying "steel bikes ride poorly". Surely many do and many don't, because they are all constructed and specced differently.
I would hope that anyone reading this would understand that "poor riding" is a personal opinion based on whether I like stiff forks or not. But the fact that disc forks MUST be stiffer than required to support and steer the bicycle is a fact. Read any article talking about the requirements for discs and there will be a quote from manufacturers acknowledging this necessity.

At the same time, we are in another "make everything stiff" period, and everyone likes to pretend that cyclists need tapered steerer tubes or their front ends will be noodles, and that is pure malarky. Bike designers loved the all carbon forks that were available at the tail end of the 1" steerer era and no one in the pro peloton has complained about scary descents since the TVT type framesets went away in the early '90s. A 1" Alpha Q fork or even an EMS or HSc have excellent road manners.

What is actually happening is that massive downtubes are wasteful when combined with skinny steerers, so designers oversized the fork to match the frames. And with the rise of disc road bikes, there is absolutely no incentive for Trek or Specialized to offer rim brake bikes with softer rides because that would be tantamount to admitting that a disc bike has a limitation. Make everything appear even and you don't taint your sales.

With brands telling us that ultra stiffness is normal, is it any wonder that no one notices it isn't necessary? And is it any surprise that suddenly the tires people used to ride centuries on are too hard? The bikes. wheels and especially forks have removed all the suspension they had to the point that we are in denial about how well an old Litespeed with an EMS fork or a 5500 OCLV frameset rode.
Old 07-09-18, 03:20 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by 63rickert
So does your fork crown have 9mm clearance to spare? Something in reserve for the really big bumps? I try not to pay that much attention to modern bikes, my impression is most of them lack much clearance anywhere for anything. And thus they need to be stiff. And thus the designers head for wider and more forgiving tires. There are good reasons for wide tires and unfortunate reasons for wide tires.
I'm not sure why you're not understanding. The fork doesn't get shorter, it changes angle. It is a swing arm. Why would the crown get closer?
Old 07-09-18, 03:26 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Liked 1,341 Times in 892 Posts
I'm not in denial about the superiority of braking power and modulation that is reported for modern disc brakes, and Road Bike Action has been quite pro-disc in their reviews, but their latest test of the Scott Foil caught my eye.

The reviewer noted that the latest disc-braked version was heavier. Quoting the July 2018 issue of RBA, the reviewer (a previous Scott Foil owner as it happens), "Along those lines, I was surprised to find that the new Foil weighed 1.7 pounds more than my old bike".

That's especially remarkable in that his older bike was a 2013 model, so the older bike's similarly-Ultegra parts should have been heavier to start with. So this suggests that, after increasing tire and rim width to perhaps match the ride quality of the older model, that the total weight penalty of adding discs was about two full pounds. I am not surprised by this, as the lengthened and greatly intensified load paths of braking forces being fed through frame, fork, discs and wheels requires a lot of extra material to maintain an equal level of durability, even in a five-years-newer design.
The payback for all this is that braking performance is improved, while tread life and traction also benefit from the wider and softer tires. The buyer gets to be the judge of whether this is all worth it.

I just bought this lightly-used 15-pound bike for under 1.5k, and had to wonder how much that a disc-braked road bike of similar weight would have to cost?

Last edited by dddd; 07-09-18 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-09-18, 03:30 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I extremely skeptical of the full inch of movement, barring any evidence from you I think your figure is not grounded in reality. It's much higher than Rinard tested any of his forks and higher than the Heine video above indicates. I did see a blurb in the latest BQ about forks flexing up to 20mm (3/4") but I do not recall what his actual testing showed. Would be happy to see something confirming your number.
It was a guesstimate looking down while riding. Would you prefer 20mm on my flexible Icon fork? Okay, it was 20mm.
Old 07-09-18, 03:32 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8

Liked 515 Times in 328 Posts
It’s a pendulum isn’t it? Thick thin back and forth. The thing that amazes me it how quickly marketing speak becomes deeply held belief. Which is why I will not tell you which size tires I ride. But I will tell you my different bikes have different size tires.
Old 07-09-18, 04:21 PM
Spoonrobot 

Liked 211 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
With brands telling us that ultra stiffness is normal, is it any wonder that no one notices it isn't necessary? And is it any surprise that suddenly the tires people used to ride centuries on are too hard? The bikes. wheels and especially forks have removed all the suspension they had to the point that we are in denial about how well an old Litespeed with an EMS fork or a 5500 OCLV frameset rode.
This is an excellent point that has really been swept under the rug both by the manufacturers and the end users who lose objectivity due to emotional attachment to new purchases. It's especially egregious in the allroad categories where steel bikes with 47mm tires ride like the Cannondale crit bikes of old but the riders have no idea as they see the large tires and think the bike must be comfortable.

It was a guesstimate looking down while riding. Would you prefer 20mm on my flexible Icon fork? Okay, it was 20mm.
Ah I understand now, thank you for clarifying.
Old 07-09-18, 04:47 PM
TenGrainBread 

Liked 661 Times in 341 Posts
And is it any surprise that suddenly the tires people used to ride centuries on are too hard? The bikes. wheels and especially forks have removed all the suspension they had to the point that we are in denial about how well an old Litespeed with an EMS fork or a 5500 OCLV frameset rode.
I definitely agree that the marketing speak around stiffness is total nonsense. But I find your claim that the move to wider tires is simply a ploy to cover up the discomfort caused by ultrastiff modern frames to be in the realm of conspiracy theory.

I don't think modern frames are "ultra-stiff" compared to C&V bikes. All of these manufacturers sell bikes that use hydroformed tubing or carbon layup that is meant to promote frame flex ("vertical compliance" in marketing speak). Yes, they talk a lot of nonsense about the importance of stiffness, but the bikes are pretty much just as comfortable as days past. Perhaps in the early days of OS frame tubing there were many ultra-stuff bikes, but not really any more. The race bikes are stiff but not really unforgiving, like an old Cdale Crit would be.
Old 07-09-18, 05:04 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Liked 6,008 Times in 2,339 Posts
I'm not sure why you're not understanding. The fork doesn't get shorter, it changes angle. It is a swing arm. Why would the crown get closer?
It's not a swing arm. The fork bends mostly down near the dropout, where the diameter is smaller. That's a fact. I've reraked forks quite a bit, and measure clearance before and after. Add rake, tire to fork crown distance decreases. My fork reraker bends the forks only at the curvature, which is where a fork mostly bends when in use. I just bend it past the elastic deformation point so it's permanent.

If you're interested in the math behind it, Tom Matchak wrote the definitive paper.

Anecdotally, my commuter bike doesn't have much clearance in the fender at the fork crown. When I hit a pothole, the tire rubs on the fender.

Last edited by gugie; 07-09-18 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-09-18, 05:31 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
I definitely agree that the marketing speak around stiffness is total nonsense. But I find your claim that the move to wider tires is simply a ploy to cover up the discomfort caused by ultrastiff modern frames to be in the realm of conspiracy theory.

I don't think modern frames are "ultra-stiff" compared to C&V bikes. All of these manufacturers sell bikes that use hydroformed tubing or carbon layup that is meant to promote frame flex ("vertical compliance" in marketing speak). Yes, they talk a lot of nonsense about the importance of stiffness, but the bikes are pretty much just as comfortable as days past. Perhaps in the early days of OS frame tubing there were many ultra-stuff bikes, but not really any more. The race bikes are stiff but not really unforgiving, like an old Cdale Crit would be.
That isn't what I claimed. I said that interest in wide tires are coming after forks got stiffer than they were 10 years ago. I don't know what you consider the age of C&V bikes, but the bikes that I would rate as having the nicest overall ride characteristics for both comfort and efficiency were in the mid-90s to maybe 8 years ago when forks started getting big.

Originally Posted by gugie
It's not a swing arm. The fork bends mostly down near the dropout, where the diameter is smaller. That's a fact. I've reraked forks quite a bit, and measure clearance before and after. Add rake, tire to fork crown distance decreases. My fork reraker bends the forks only at the curvature, which is where a fork mostly bends when in use. I just bend it past the elastic deformation point so it's permanent.

If you're interested in the math behind it, Tom Matchak wrote the definitive paper.

Anecdotally, my commuter bike doesn't have much clearance in the fender at the fork crown. When I hit a pothole, the tire rubs on the fender.
It isn't a swing arm, but that's the allusion I used to someone who's post suggested they think a rigid fork moves linearly like a shock fork. The reality is as you describe, and there's no reason to think that the crown is going to get crowded by a bending moment along the blades.

What part of your fender gets rubbed?
Old 07-09-18, 08:44 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Liked 1,341 Times in 892 Posts
It is typically the case that (in the interest of reduced weight) as a tubular structure achieves higher strength-to-weight, that the ability to tune the flexibility of such a structure becomes much more difficult.

Thus, large-section frame members are usually more stiff.

And with these tapered steer tubes, the required larger-diameter lower bearing sees more-localized contact force for any given amount of angular flex at the crown, so the steer tube must be kept as rigid as practical in the absence of some kind of spherical seating for the bearing.
Add in the disc-brake requirement that the left leg must now handle concentrated braking torque input that now resolves over a four-times shorter distance (and now along just the one leg), and the formerly flexible fork structure must now be kept virtually rigid, despite any claims to the contrary.

The claims of today's carbon frame's improved compliance thus must be focused on the rear of the frame, and along the seatpost. Any gains at the front now have to come from the tires.

Fortunately, most of today's framesets get along with most road conditions (of the sort I am most familiar with) using as small as a 25mm tire, which happens to be a very practical size in terms of weight and air resistance. But when road conditions are less than good, giving away a frameset's fork compliance isn't a good thing.

Last edited by dddd; 07-09-18 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-09-18, 08:55 PM
Stormy Archer
Peugeot PSV10 or somethin

Bikes: yes

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
I like skinny tires because my local bike co op has a bunch of nice ones for like 5$
Old 07-09-18, 11:27 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,637 Times in 1,532 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormy Archer
I like skinny tires because my local bike co op has a bunch of nice ones for like 5$
That can be a good reason to like tires. Remember us when you have more cash to spare.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-10-18, 12:00 AM
Stormy Archer
Peugeot PSV10 or somethin

Bikes: yes

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
That can be a good reason to like tires. Remember us when you have more cash to spare.
Oh, I'm pretty aware. I remembered you when I recommended tires to my girlfriend, now running 25c gp4000s. She had the 65$ to spare on Amazon B stock.

What's the research on wider tires for lighter people anyway? I thought I read the situation was a bit different for those of us small people under 130 pounds...
Old 07-10-18, 12:16 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,637 Times in 1,532 Posts
Oh, I'm pretty aware. I remembered you when I recommended tires to my girlfriend, now running 25c gp4000s. She had the 65$ to spare on Amazon B stock.

What's the research on wider tires for lighter people anyway? I thought I read the situation was a bit different for those of us small people under 130 pounds...
I don't know of research findings, but my finding, with a sample size of only one person, is that it's less of an issue. My wife is 110 pounds or so. I've made several tire changes on her bikes, and she only noticed one, when she went from heavy knobby MTB tires to smooth MTB tires. She doesn't ride the MTB any more, only road bikes, and heavy, light, narrow, wide, high pressure, low pressure, she doesn't notice.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-10-18, 12:49 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Liked 2,038 Times in 992 Posts
That's how I ended up with a bevy of Vittoria Open Corsas (ok, $10 a pop, but still...)! 23 and 25mm only for those things. They are great tires!
Old 07-10-18, 01:29 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

[QUOTE=Kontact;20437772**
It isn't a swing arm, but that's the allusion I used to someone who's post suggested they think a rigid fork moves linearly like a shock fork. The reality is as you describe, and there's no reason to think that the crown is going to get crowded by a bending moment along the blades.

What part of your fender gets rubbed?[/QUOTE]

You wrote:
" The fork doesn't get shorter, it changes angle. It is a swing arm. Why would the crown get closer?"

On a standard, classic fork that draws down to a smaller diameter and curves somewhere below halfway down the fork, almost all of the flex is down where it curves - the raked curve "curls up" and reduces the radius when force is applied - such as when you hit a pothole.

My commuter fender rubs (drum roll please) right under the fork crown when I hit a pothole. The fork crown definitely got closer to the dropout.

The fork doesn't pivot at the fork crown like a swing arm. Well, maybe it may seem like it to some, but that's just an allusion.

The head tube angle does steepen temporarily when I hit that pothole (see Matchak article I linked to above).
Old 07-10-18, 03:02 PM
Kontact

You wrote:
" The fork doesn't get shorter, it changes angle. It is a swing arm. Why would the crown get closer?"

On a standard, classic fork that draws down to a smaller diameter and curves somewhere below halfway down the fork, almost all of the flex is down where it curves - the raked curve "curls up" and reduces the radius when force is applied - such as when you hit a pothole.

My commuter fender rubs (drum roll please) right under the fork crown when I hit a pothole. The fork crown definitely got closer to the dropout.

The fork doesn't pivot at the fork crown like a swing arm. Well, maybe it may seem like it to some, but that's just an allusion.

The head tube angle does steepen temporarily when I hit that pothole (see Matchak article I linked to above).
So when 63rickert said that the 9mm of suspension would mean the tire would move 9mm closer to the crown, you agree with that? Because that's what I was trying to dispel.
Old 07-10-18, 03:23 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

So when 63rickert said that the 9mm of suspension would mean the tire would move 9mm closer to the crown, you agree with that? Because that's what I was trying to dispel.
You're just in an arguementative mood now, aren't you? I didn't read nor comment on that post.

I have actually measured the amount of fork crown clearance lost when you add offset to a fork, but it's specific to my Babe Ruth of Fork Rerakers. I think it's probably in the ballpark of what most forks do elastically. I've done enough of them, and taken enough data to be pretty confident of this.

For every mm of rake change, there's a corresponding 0.17mm of fork clearance change. That's nowhere near 1:1, very close to 1:6. When one is considering going low trail, fat tires, and fenders, and wants to modify a vintage bike to do so, you have to keep all of this in consideration. I typically want to have around 20mm of vertical fender clearance when I'm done. Add ~3mm for fender thickness (including hem), I really need at least 23. Knowing the current rake of a fork, and what I want it to end up with, I can easily calculate how much more clearance I need before I rerake to end up with the clearance I want.

So, to conclude, yeah, wider tires are better, mostly.
Old 07-10-18, 03:27 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
You're just in an arguementative mood now, aren't you?
There are posts where he isn't?
Old 07-10-18, 03:47 PM
Kontact

You're just in an arguementative mood now, aren't you? I didn't read nor comment on that post.

I have actually measured the amount of fork crown clearance lost when you add offset to a fork, but it's specific to my Babe Ruth of Fork Rerakers. I think it's probably in the ballpark of what most forks do elastically. I've done enough of them, and taken enough data to be pretty confident of this.

For every mm of rake change, there's a corresponding 0.17mm of fork clearance change. That's nowhere near 1:1, very close to 1:6. When one is considering going low trail, fat tires, and fenders, and wants to modify a vintage bike to do so, you have to keep all of this in consideration. I typically want to have around 20mm of vertical fender clearance when I'm done. Add ~3mm for fender thickness (including hem), I really need at least 23. Knowing the current rake of a fork, and what I want it to end up with, I can easily calculate how much more clearance I need before I rerake to end up with the clearance I want.

So, to conclude, yeah, wider tires are better, mostly.
Excuse me? Didn't I already agree with you when I said "the reality is as you describe"? Yet it sounds like that didn't satisfy you and you need to make sure you're right by arguing about it.

So: you are right. I just never disagreed with you when I made the basic point that forks absorb shock by changing angle rather than getting shorter. They do both, but as you illustrated so nicely, they mainly change angle.

Summary: If your fork absorbs a 9mm bump, the tire might get 1.53mm closer to the crown, but the top of the wheel actually moves up 9mm relative to the frame.
Old 07-10-18, 03:57 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by wgscott
There are posts where he isn't?
Awwww, does someone have some hurt feelings they want to talk about? Consider this a hug.
Old 07-10-18, 04:10 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Excuse me? Didn't I already agree with you when I said "the reality is as you describe"? Yet it sounds like that didn't satisfy you and you need to make sure you're right by arguing about it.

So: you are right. I just never disagreed with you when I made the basic point that forks absorb shock by changing angle rather than getting shorter. They do both, but as you illustrated so nicely, they mainly change angle.

Summary: If your fork absorbs a 9mm bump, the tire might get 1.53mm closer to the crown, but the top of the wheel actually moves up 9mm relative to the frame.
User Control Panel > Edit Ignore List > Add a Member to Your List...
Old 07-10-18, 04:39 PM
Kontact

User Control Panel > Edit Ignore List > Add a Member to Your List...
Great idea. Done for two people that can't talk about bike junk without getting upset.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.