Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.4

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-23, 08:24 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Liked 4,939 Times in 2,649 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Maple syrup is overrated.
wut
Old 11-15-23, 08:26 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Liked 4,939 Times in 2,649 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Shame on you. Please hand in your roadie card as well as your moderator card, thank you.
You know you want one.
Old 11-15-23, 08:28 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Domane+, Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, ICE VTX WC

Liked 5,154 Times in 2,311 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Bummer about GCN+.

It’s big enough news I started a thread about it.

Sad.
I must say, I’m totally crushed.

Old 11-15-23, 08:30 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Domane+, Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, ICE VTX WC

Liked 5,154 Times in 2,311 Posts
Shame on you. Please hand in your roadie card as well as your moderator card, thank you.
Harsh!

Old 11-15-23, 08:43 AM
Mojo31
-------

Liked 6,734 Times in 3,657 Posts
I'd take a Domane+.

Don't want to pay for one though.
Old 11-15-23, 08:49 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
it is and stop calling me Shirley.
Finally!
Old 11-15-23, 09:24 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 13,225 Times in 6,791 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
You're hinting a decent strategy for nabbing KOMs: pick the segments that the fast guys avoid.

My one actual KOM is a 500 meter climb off Highway 1, so obscure that the fast guys don't go there. And at the bottom, you have to bunny hop a speed dip at high speed or risk wheel damage.
I think I'd have to start a segment in my back yard, and even then make sure the gate stays locked.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-15-23, 09:24 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 7,203 Times in 3,722 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
You know you want one.
Don't see myself needing one any time soon. I've been successfully avoiding hills for years, so long as I avoid getting trapped on a hilly ride by Mrs BD,
Old 11-15-23, 09:28 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 13,225 Times in 6,791 Posts
I had a long travel day yesterday. Well, maybe not really so long, but it FELT long because I was basically travelling from pre-dawn to post-sunset). Takeoff delayed like an hour and a half, but with the tailwind we were only an hour late into Dulles. I lucked out and had an aisle seat with nobody next to me, but I find even in Steerage, 777s have enough leg room. Not like 737s, where the seatback-to-seatback distance is exactly equal to the length of my femurs.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-15-23, 09:30 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Harsh!
Senior member of the Pcad HTFU club.
Old 11-15-23, 09:48 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 2,064 Times in 1,444 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
the Meyersdale tourist association - 16 members (most in good standing) - has formally placed you on probation
Never heard of it.
Who the hell is playing on a Tuesday night?
It is almost impossible to make out details in DougRNS 's photos, isn't it?
Originally Posted by rjones28
wut
Last night the KCB director engaged in trolling that would have earned your seal of approval. After my rant last week, the first thing he did was have the percussion work on The Toymaker's Workshop again. SMH
Old 11-15-23, 10:04 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,551 Times in 4,559 Posts

Last night the KCB director engaged in trolling that would have earned your seal of approval. After my rant last week, the first thing he did was have the percussion work on The Toymaker's Workshop again. SMH
Are you prepared to jump on trombone should a trombonist succumb to the heat next summer?

Old 11-15-23, 10:25 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 2,064 Times in 1,444 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Are you prepared to jump on trombone should a trombonist succumb to the heat next summer?
Nope, I don't know the positions.

And sadly (from my POV) the director eliminated the summer outdoor venues next year and we're playing in a middle school.
Old 11-15-23, 10:41 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,610 Times in 2,393 Posts
Giving the free garmin training program a try. Threw in my info and made up a race date of march 9 just to see what it does. I made it last night and it wanted to start yesterday, which obviously wasn’t going to happen. Day 1 was supposed to be like a ramp test so I downloaded it and expected to do that today. Instead it went a head to day 2 which was a zone 2 ride. I didn’t see anyway to move it a day so that was a little frustrating. Did the ride stayed in zone 2 which I have been a little off the last several mont which explains why I have been slower. All of my Zone 2 rides for the past several months have actually been more like zone 1.

The other thing that was a little frustrating but didn’t matter much today since it was just 2 hours of zone 2 was the work out page on my garmin unit only showed time and distance nothing else. Tomorrow is supposed to be four 3 minute threshold intervals, so I am concerned it’s not going to tell me when to start the interval and end the interval. I can’t find any information about it online.

Also it my HR data uploads to the garmin connect and you can see it on strava but on the actual training plan page for todays ride it says no heart rate data recorded but if I click on the ride it shows it. Weird.
Old 11-15-23, 10:59 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Liked 3,912 Times in 2,040 Posts
bampilot06 aren't you working with a coach? Does the coach help with your training plans at all? The canned plans can have results for some people, but they are not for everyone.

If you are interesting in training, there are basically three options:

1) Self-learn and self-coach
2) Follow canned plans
3) Utilize a coach's paid service

I've always done 1) since I like to be a nerd about this stuff. I had some paid coaching consultation sessions early this year and the advice I got paid dividends in my training and fitness. A monthly fee with weekly feedback was not in my budget. The TL;DR version of 1) is to ride more z2 volume early, than cut the miles down and add intensity as you approach racing, which I'm sure you were aware of. Make sure to take rest weeks once/month where you ride 50% of normal.

Also keep in mind that not everyone likes to train and there are plenty of people (racers too) who like to just ride by fun and feel. If you do chose to pursue training, make sure to listen to your body, remain flexible and incorporate some rest and recovery. I think your schedule may be lacking in R&R. Your performance may improve if you back off a little.
Old 11-15-23, 11:03 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I learned during the pandemic that I enjoyed training as much as racing, possibly more. Still trained pretty hard and maintained a high level, even though I only raced till mid March, or whenever that was. That was eye opening or me.

I like developing a plan, executing it and "working out" in general. Feeds my obsessive need to plan things and to get some endorphins to calm my anxious personality, doubly whammy.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 11-15-23, 11:05 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Liked 3,453 Times in 1,982 Posts
Maple syrup is overrated.
Bears prefer honey.
Old 11-15-23, 11:07 AM
Mojo31
-------

Liked 6,734 Times in 3,657 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Giving the free garmin training program a try. Threw in my info and made up a race date of march 9 just to see what it does. I made it last night and it wanted to start yesterday, which obviously wasn’t going to happen. Day 1 was supposed to be like a ramp test so I downloaded it and expected to do that today. Instead it went a head to day 2 which was a zone 2 ride. I didn’t see anyway to move it a day so that was a little frustrating. Did the ride stayed in zone 2 which I have been a little off the last several mont which explains why I have been slower. All of my Zone 2 rides for the past several months have actually been more like zone 1.

The other thing that was a little frustrating but didn’t matter much today since it was just 2 hours of zone 2 was the work out page on my garmin unit only showed time and distance nothing else. Tomorrow is supposed to be four 3 minute threshold intervals, so I am concerned it’s not going to tell me when to start the interval and end the interval. I can’t find any information about it online.

Also it my HR data uploads to the garmin connect and you can see it on strava but on the actual training plan page for todays ride it says no heart rate data recorded but if I click on the ride it shows it. Weird.
Sounds like you have a real problem.
Old 11-15-23, 11:09 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Liked 3,453 Times in 1,982 Posts
Who the hell is playing on a Tuesday night?
the MAC have been doing this for years. They'll take any exposure they can get.
TTKU
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 11-15-23, 11:19 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

rain on the forecast for this evening; it may be a bit wet for my ~2.5 mile ride home from work. Gonna throw a lite shell in my backpack to put on over my fleece in case its a bit wet for the return leg.
Old 11-15-23, 11:20 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by TMonk
bampilot06 aren't you working with a coach? Does the coach help with your training plans at all? The canned plans can have results for some people, but they are not for everyone.

If you are interesting in training, there are basically three options:

1) Self-learn and self-coach
2) Follow canned plans
3) Utilize a coach's paid service

I've always done 1) since I like to be a nerd about this stuff. I had some paid coaching consultation sessions early this year and the advice I got paid dividends in my training and fitness. A monthly fee with weekly feedback was not in my budget. The TL;DR version of 1) is to ride more z2 volume early, than cut the miles down and add intensity as you approach racing, which I'm sure you were aware of. Make sure to take rest weeks once/month where you ride 50% of normal.

Also keep in mind that not everyone likes to train and there are plenty of people (racers too) who like to just ride by fun and feel. If you do chose to pursue training, make sure to listen to your body, remain flexible and incorporate some rest and recovery. I think your schedule may be lacking in R&R. Your performance may improve if you back off a little.

He basically disowned me. When Simon was born I was riding at like 10 pm and eventually switching to 4 am. He doesn’t like that and basically doesn’t help me anymore. He used to give me guidance but hasn’t for a long time. Also, he does training rides with a group of the team but I am never available. If I have a question I am sure I can ask but kind of just let it alone for now until I can start riding at a normal time again.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 11-15-23, 11:22 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,551 Times in 4,559 Posts
Superguppy alert, she's flying from Huntsville to El Paso today

Takeoff
10:57AM CST
Scheduled 10:00AM CST

Landing
02:14PM MST
Scheduled 01:15PM MST
Old 11-15-23, 11:26 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by TMonk
rain on the forecast for this evening; it may be a bit wet for my ~2.5 mile ride home from work. Gonna throw a lite shell in my backpack to put on over my fleece in case its a bit wet for the return leg.
On this note, I'm stoked that I finished working on my MTB in time for the rains! Don't want to get my fancy road bikes all dirty . In general I prefer commuting on the MTB... Don't need to mind my front wheel as much. Kinda crappy pavement in Kearney Mesa San Diego. I just pump up the tires a little more.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 11-15-23, 11:45 AM
BillyD
Administrator

And sadly (from my POV) the director eliminated the summer outdoor venues next year and we're playing in a middle school.
Is middle school the same as junior high? Because JHS kids are brutal.
Old 11-15-23, 12:53 PM
bampilot06

TMonk
Question. I think this has what has been throwing me off the last several months. On my garmin, the main screen I use shows HR, 3 second power etc but it also shows what power zone I am in. Which is nice. So I would stay in zone 2 as much as possible but my HR would be really low. Example:

So power shows I am in zone 2 but my HR shows I am in recovery, which I think has been detrimental and why I have been regressing.

I noticed this trend last night so today since I was following an actual plan I decided to focus on keeping my HR in zone 2 so above 130 which worked really well and felt great and honestly felt like I used to feel, but according to my head unit I was at the very top of zone 2 or bottom zone 3 for most of my ride.

Why do I have such a big difference between my HR zones and my power zones? Do I need to do another test?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.