Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show me your cat

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show me your cat

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-14, 09:49 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Hah hah-that train has left the station-my guess he is pushing 17-18 lbs?
We have one-Thor "Big Boy" who hit 20.5 lbs-my wife's "fault"-but he has been on a diet last 8 months-actually started at 19lbs-he is down to 16.5 lbs-dramatic improvement in "mood" bathroom habits(no idea why) looks and jumping ability. He still has a bit of a hitch in his walk-as if something was "damaged"
But cat on a diet-when the other 3 aren't- NO FUN! We crate him at night-and for feedings-so it makes it easier.
The Tunderkitten has lost a lot of weight over the past 7 years... she was rather obese and with a controlled diet that included raw and dry food she was at a healthy weight before the thyroid issues manifested.

Her food intake during this had to be increased and her energy level is really good for a grumpy old cat.. a big mistake that many people make is allowing their cat to eat any carbs as they are obligate carnivores and carbs mess them up really badly.
Old 01-06-14, 09:52 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
a big mistake that many people make is allowing their cat to eat any carbs as they are obligate carnivores and carbs mess them up really badly.
^^^^What he said!!!
Old 01-06-14, 09:55 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Liked 373 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
You happen to need an additional condo? Our two rarely use it.
Thanks, but no thanks. After having several of the pet store/discount store cat trees fall apart with use, we got that monstrosity (actually two separate units) plus another one in one of the bedrooms. The larger unit in the picture weighs close to three hundred pounds! This condo uses 5" diameter cedar posts, and the round tubes used as forms are 1/2" thick! I weigh a bit over 200 pounds and this condo is strong and stable enough for me to climb it (usually to reach the 'top cat' for his medication). These are extremely strong!!! For any of you within a day's round-trip to the Canton Ohio area, check out www.ziffycatcondos.com . The builder travels to weekend craft fairs in the area, and will deliver within a 50-mile radius. Being 90 miles from his shop, I had to rent a 5x8' enclosed trailer to get these three units (rain was forecast so I didn't trust them exposed in the bed of the truck).
Old 01-06-14, 09:58 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

My sister's cat "Squeak" when she was rescued and adopted by Rose, who used to carry her around in her mouth.

Old friends...

Rose passed away a few years ago and we thought Squeak was going to die from grief... Squeak is now a senior citizen and is developing kidney issues and think that soon she will be ready to cross the bridge to join her mom.
Old 01-06-14, 09:58 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
It's fine. The fact that some people feel that way about cats is funny and makes me like cats more. I have no cat now {sniff**. Cancer ate our last cat. Illness took away one of our dogs, so now we have only one dog, and we're not ready to take on another family member. She does not fetch or do any tricks. She does not play. She stands or lies still and silent when she is not walking or running. I take her to the dog park, and she just stands there. When I grab the leash to leave, she jumps for joy, several times, high into the air.

We currently have a greyhound-Arty- our 3rd-1st two were Phoebe and Isis (my "name") we also have 4 or 5 cats-our 4 are indoor only-but the neighbors cat comes by several times a day for takeout-starting at 5am-he jumps on window-insists on being fed.
I have no idea why so many folks-usually men- hate cats?? Odd thing-almost as if they are scared of them-such tiny animals? Oh well people are weird.

Our 1st two greyhounds were reserved-like yours-they would put up with strangers and strange dogs-but they really preferred just us.
Our current one-Arty- thinks she is a Lab- very outgoing- but she spends MOST of her time at the dog park going from owner to owner-shouldering their dog aside to steal pats affection.She does run with fellow dogs-but her main aim is people.
And despite being such athletic looking dogs-they really can take or leave exercise-really no big fans of excessive movement-
Big fans of food couches good bedding- but pointless exercise- not much!
In fact they are GREAT apartment dogs-they "live small" other then being pretty big/tall.
Great travel dogs also-put them in car SUV- they sleep-
The retreads arrive housebroken-and other than sensitive skin- extremely healty -especially in comparison to other tall breeds.
GREAT DOGS PETS- about half are "cat safe"- cat indifferent.
Yeah-adopt a greyhound.You will have the most handsome mutt on the block- heathliest too.Not big on excessive "walks" a big plus for some folks-they like walks-but not like a Jack Russell which will make you pay if you don't wear it out.
Old 01-06-14, 09:59 AM
gomango

Liked 263 Times in 145 Posts
A long time ago.....

Our son is now 6'2''!

Old 01-06-14, 10:00 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs
^^^^What he said!!!
What you said.

I volunteer at a pet shop training birds but often field questions about things like cat food... we only use Orijen which is locally made and produced with locally sourced ingredients and it is rather excellent food.

The fussy cat we have really likes it...
Old 01-06-14, 10:20 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The Tunderkitten has lost a lot of weight over the past 7 years... she was rather obese and with a controlled diet that included raw and dry food she was at a healthy weight before the thyroid issues manifested.

Her food intake during this had to be increased and her energy level is really good for a grumpy old cat.. a big mistake that many people make is allowing their cat to eat any carbs as they are obligate carnivores and carbs mess them up really badly.
Tunderkitten- Great nickname!
Yeah-most cheaper dry cat food-very high in carbs-frequently corn(cheapest)-
cats obviously didn't evolve eating a high cereal diet with very little moisture.
The reason most folks use dry food-COST
For quite a while we were near broke-but had 4 cats
The cats-just arrived in neighborhood-3 of them as kittens 4 weeks old-so we couldn't just leave them on the street-so in they came
We are less broke-so they have been upgraded-their favorite is human canned tuna-cat canned tuna-to nasty for words
Old 01-06-14, 10:57 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Liked 1,791 Times in 988 Posts
Originally Posted by phoebeisis
cat indifferent.

Yeah-adopt a greyhound.You will have the most handsome mutt on the block- heathliest too.Not big on excessive "walks" a big plus for some folks-they like walks-but not like a Jack Russell which will make you pay if you don't wear it out.
Yes, cat indifferent. Perfect way to describe our Greyhound.

We'll have to start a C&V Greyhound thread!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 01-06-14, 10:58 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Liked 277 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
They eat more dogs than cats. At least, in China. They actually have large farms that raise dogs for food purposes. I've visited a couple of them.
this is true, but in Vietnam I had cat made by villagers.
Old 01-06-14, 11:11 AM
Flying Merkel

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
It's fine. The fact that some people feel that way about cats is funny and makes me like cats more. ..........She does not fetch or do any tricks. She does not play. She stands or lies still and silent when she is not walking or running. I take her to the dog park, and she just stands there. When I grab the leash to leave, she jumps for joy, several times, high into the air.

Don't understand cat hate. Cats are what they are. Don't hear many stories about kids getting bitten or mauled to death by a cat.

I now have 4 greyhounds. 2 were acquired on purpose, the other 2 were difficult adoptions. I kept them after fostering. A lot of people tell me the same story about greys and dog parks. They don't seem to like them. My big 90 lb. boy stood & cried last time we went. He's fine at dog beach where's there's more space.

Earl was 7 when we took him in. He & the cat came to an agreement in 10 minutes.
Old 01-06-14, 11:27 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Liked 2,790 Times in 960 Posts
Greyhounds are actually very tall, skinny cats.
Old 01-06-14, 11:33 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRaleigh
Thanks! He's been a crazy one since the day I brought him home. I've FINALLY broken him of the habit of using my bike tires as a scratching post.

if this place was a book, this would be the cover.
Old 01-06-14, 11:49 AM
auchencrow

Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Maytag fetches things for me every day.
Socks, shoes, slippers.
Papers, scotch tape, underwear.

If I leave for a while there will be a bunch of stuff waiting on the floor.
In his mind that's a big enticement for me to come back home to him.

Old 01-06-14, 12:14 PM
sirupate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have three cats, about 1.5 years old now. Thor, Leo and Chubbs. All males from the same litter of a stray we were feeding. There were four, but one got in the way of a car last spring. I need to figure out how to post pics. Need to show off a couple vintage Raleighs and my cats.

We were never cat fans until we accepted them into our lives. They sort of "own" the house now.
Old 01-06-14, 12:15 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Liked 4,837 Times in 1,710 Posts
All of you blessed with being around your cats daily are soooo fortunate

I miss my Sacha. Still around 4 months until I get to see her again!

"I think I detect the fine aroma of titanium..."

"This one's a little loose..."

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 01-06-14 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-06-14, 12:40 PM
rootboy 

Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
This is Daisy. Not mine and I hope he doesn't mind my posting this again. But it is one of my all-time favorite pictures of a cat. Stunning.

Old 01-06-14, 12:56 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Liked 3,802 Times in 1,198 Posts

Brent
Old 01-06-14, 12:57 PM
rootboy 

hee hee. Always loved their logo.
Old 01-06-14, 01:05 PM
rootboy 

... and carbs mess them up really badly.
Yes indeed. We also use a dry food that is 90% protein. Wellness, as I remember. And Nature's Variety Instinct wet food.But one of our girls has some digestive problems so a vet, not ours, recommended we switch her dry to some Iams Digestive Formula stuff, only to find out after checking the "guaranteed analysis" that the stuff is about 35 % carbs. She no longer vomits as much as she used to but am trying to wean her off it now.
As you guys know, what is NOT on the ingredients break down is more important than what is. Going to check out the brands of dry mentioned here, thanks. Would love to go nothing but high quality wet food but it is difficult.
Old 01-06-14, 01:09 PM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have noticed- from these pictures-cats have expensive tastes.
I don't see them mauling any vintage WalMart bikes
just pricy vintage Brit bikes-or fancy Italian vintage pedals with titanium spindles
Yeah they have the same sort of taste in furniture-nice "real wood" no manufactured wood "products"-
and nice upholstry- wool cotten leather no synthetics

Drillium Dude-I was wondering why no Sacha-EYEBALLED your address- Diego Garcia- literally middle of nowhere
Yes Sacha has excellent taste in components-typical cat casually expensive taste!
Old 01-06-14, 01:13 PM
rootboy 

Don't forget those kitties who prefer French!
Old 01-06-14, 01:15 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Liked 1,791 Times in 988 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Merkel
I now have 4 greyhounds. 2 were acquired on purpose, the other 2 were difficult adoptions. I kept them after fostering.
Does your wife post vids on the Youtube?

There's someone with 4 Greyhounds, all (even the old one) seem to be more "dog" like than most greyhounds I've met. Playing, barking, getting excited when Daddy comes home... Trent greets me at the door. Then goes and lays down.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 01-06-14, 01:17 PM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by kunsunoke

Handsome cat there, Kunsunoke. May I ask, does Mai-Mai have a meaning in English? Just a good name? This is our Mei Mei. "Younger sister" in Chinese. Fitting, as she is from China and came to us after Minky was here.

Old 01-06-14, 01:18 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Often when I leave the apartment, my cat goes and looks at me with sad eyes from behind the wheel of my bike. We call it "being in jail."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.