Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Backwards trend in US

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Backwards trend in US

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-16, 07:23 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC

Rather than just like us, according to the statistics on largest cities in the world by land area, population and density and r
anked by population density (1 to 125) Copenhagen is more like New Orleans which rank 117th and 116th respectively...
Sorry but I don't get your point. Could you please explain in more basic terms?
Old 08-16-16, 07:31 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by PaulH
The answer is that we have been so oversaturated on advertising that we just tune it out. People in the former Soviet Union came to have the same response to propaganda. I'd say it is fairly widespread. This may be particularly true of the Baby Boom generation, who were exposed early to fraudulent advertisements targeted at them and came to see everything as a con.
I understand what you're saying, and I even feel that I myself tune out a lot of advertising.

But if ads are totally worthless, why do thousands of businesses spend billions of dollars on it? Why is advertising one of the major industries in most countries?
Old 08-16-16, 07:34 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Speaking of simple lifestyles, I'm listening to a book of essays by Evan Wright published in the book Hella Nation. One of the essays is relevant to the discussion of simple lifestyles and extreme economic/cultural theories promoted by at least one posteron this list. The essay discusses "future primitives" that have somehow managed to turn love of "Mother earth" into a cult of apocalyptic doom. The essay first appeared in Rolling Stone in 2000 and id described at: johnshaplin: Anarchism in America by Evan Wright

Except from the essay :
"Portland, Oregon-based author and thinker John Zarzan, who describes himself as a "leading theorist of the anti-civilization movement"- what he sometimes calls the "primitivist movement". Zerzan came of age as an antiwar protester in San Francisco in the 1960s. Employed as a social worker by the city, he earned a master's degree in history from San Francisco State University and gradually evolved from being a garden-variety left-wing activist to an anti-technology theorist. In 1988 he published Elements of Refusal, a collection of essays in which he began to formulate his argument that all technology developed since about the time of the Paleolithic era has harmed the human race."
[SKIP]

"By the time our salads arrive, Zerzan is explaining the desired end state of the current anarchist-environmental movement as he and Kaczynski see it: to dismantle civilization and turn the clock back to the Paleolithic era, aka the Stone Age.

"You mean so we can live like cavemen?" I ask.

Zerzan laughs and assumes a professorial air as he labors to erase my ignorance. "Think of our ancestors as wonderful primitives, not cavemen," he says. "Before agriculture and animal husbandry," Zerzan states, "when we were a hunter-gather society, there was equality between people and between genders. There was no war and no pollution. There was leisure time. Disease was unknown. Cancer did not exist." Zerzan smiles. "How wonderful the Paleolithic era was."

Zerzan refers to the harbingers of this new age- young anarchists like Wingnut- as 'future primitives". As I get to know Wingnut better, the influences of Zerzan become clear. "What needs to happen for Earth to survive is for a few billion people on this planet to be killed off," Wingnut tells me. "I'm not saying I want it to happen, or that I would try to make it happen. But people are a disease to the planet. If there is nuclear war, good riddance. Some of us will be out here surviving at the hunter-gathering level, where we belong."

Wingnut, his anarchist friends and mentors like Zerzan and Kaczynski have somehow managed to turn love of "Mother earth" into a cult of apocalyptic doom."

Really? Nobody here is preaching anything like that, a bit of restraint is what people here seem to want in general...
Old 08-16-16, 08:53 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Liked 56 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Simply that they went from 29% car ownership to 31% car ownership in the last few years, Oh, No, they too are getting seduced... Hard to fight the man...

...the tax man... what with the, Danish 180% Tax on Cars
Old 08-16-16, 09:23 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Manual threshing of wheat? Buggy whips? Less sanitation, dirtier water, cooking over a wood fire?
In certain circumstances, sure. It wouldn't hurt people to learn basic manual agriculture skills, if for no other reason than to appreciate how easy we have it and not take it for granted. I agree we don't want to return to the massive horse poop filth of 19th century cities (although it's also probably been exaggerated and sensationalized to some degree) but some presence of a few beasts of burden in the city would be cool - horse drawn wedding carriages or milk delivery vans - they're actually pretty energy efficient and the poop could be collected and composted pretty easily if there is just a bit of it. Less sanitation and "dirty" water (with modern microbiological controls) can actually be a good thing - see the hygeine hypothesis - and wood pellet stoves in some cases are environmentally friendly as long as they only burn waste wood or sustainably grown wood.

Last edited by cooker; 08-16-16 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-16-16, 09:28 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Really? Nobody here is preaching anything like that, a bit of restraint is what people here seem to want in general...

Lets be clear about this? You are saying that after reading all of these posts "No one" is preaching giving up income for free time? No one is preaching that we need to give up air conditioning? No one is saying we don't need central heating? No one has put forward the idea of acceptable poverty? "No one" is saying we focus to much on comfort and ease and not enough on sacrifice for the common good? No one? No one has suggested trading their labor in a barter system as being a solution they favor?

And no I am not going to go back and bring up the quotes.

But it was a interesting take on things.
Old 08-16-16, 09:35 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Sounds good to me... Seems like they take into confederation the downsides of car ownership to civilisation and tax it accordingly... Unlike here in N America, where cars are king, and governments actually try to increase car ownership, uncaring of the downsides that such causes. Like pollution, like infrastructure costs, like traffic jams, like 34,000 deaths per year, 100,000+ injuries, like +100X worse for the planet than bicycles per unit, Like parking, Like pretty well everything is more costly for a car society than a bicycle society... Every bicycle is a plus for the city of 25 cents, every car is a minus, extra cost for the city of 16 cents...
Old 08-16-16, 09:39 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Lets be clear about this? You are saying that after reading all of these posts "No one" is preaching giving up income for free time? No one is preaching that we need to give up air conditioning? No one is saying we don't need central heating? No one has put forward the idea of acceptable poverty? "No one" is saying we focus to much on comfort and ease and not enough on sacrifice for the common good? No one? No one has suggested trading their labor in a barter system as being a solution they favor?

It may have been stated that they are willing to do those things, but nobody said everyone needs to do those things per say, just cut back a bit on consumption and ride a bicycle more often rather than drive a car, is what I get out of this...
Old 08-16-16, 09:40 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

First of all, you are referring to one person who has unique views - it's not like its a movement. Secondly, none of those ideas is actually so far out. You worry about heat islands - they could be greatly ameliorated with various engineering solutions that capitalize on natural and/or passive heating and cooling techniques including shade trees and awnings and so on, and more reliance on human climactic adaptation - a greatly underappreciated talent and resource - instead of the high-energy brute force techniques in use now. Giving up materialism and serving others are actually core beliefs of the religion that is supposedly dominant in these parts (and of which I believe that poster is a practitioner) and it is shocking how many people claim to adhere to it and yet reject its tenets. Underground economies including barter are one of the ways many people are coping with economic uncertainty nowadays.

Last edited by cooker; 08-16-16 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-16-16, 09:42 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

They seem to be happy with it: 1 - Denmark - In Photos: The World's 10 Happiest Countries
Old 08-16-16, 10:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
US War Economy is "booming" that is their priority.. guns bombs and planes..
Old 08-16-16, 10:10 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by cooker
The happiness scale is what you go to when you cannot point to the GDP per capital scale. "Average gross domestic product (GDP) in the US is about 40% higher than average GDP of the EU-15 when measured at purchasing power parity (PPP)." A EU study found that if part of the US, EU nations would fall among the 5 poorest states. Looking at the GDP of Denmark can be compared to looking at the GDP of Indiana, right next door to Sweden... I mean, Ohio.
Old 08-16-16, 10:20 PM
350htrr

The happiness scale is what you go to when you cannot point to the GDP per capital scale. "Average gross domestic product (GDP) in the US is about 40% higher than average GDP of the EU-15 when measured at purchasing power parity (PPP)." A EU study found that if part of the US, EU nations would fall among the 5 poorest states. Looking at the GDP of Denmark can be compared to looking at the GDP of Indiana, right next door to Sweden... I mean, Ohio.
And if the goal is to have a car per family, or 2 cars per family one NEEDS a huge GDP... But if everyone's/most peoples goal it just to have a good life, not cars(both of which they seem to have accomplished) as one of the worlds 10 happies countries... Who care about the GDP.
Old 08-16-16, 10:35 PM
Mobile 155

First of all, you are referring to one person who has unique views - it's not like its a movement. Secondly, none of those ideas is actually so far out. You worry about heat islands - they could be greatly ameliorated with various engineering solutions that capitalize on natural and/or passive heating and cooling techniques including shade trees and awnings and so on, and more reliance on human climactic adaptation - a greatly underappreciated talent and resource - instead of the high-energy brute force techniques in use now. Giving up materialism and serving others are actually core beliefs of the religion that is supposedly dominant in these parts (and of which I believe that poster is a practitioner) and it is shocking how many people claim to adhere to it and yet reject its tenets. Underground economies including barter are one of the ways many people are coping with economic uncertainty nowadays.

That then makes my point. Someone has made the assertions it was suggested "No one" makes. Unless the one posting such things is a no one? And others have encouraged such suggestions.
Old 08-16-16, 10:36 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Damn, they can't have the GDP of the US so they have to settle for being happy. I feel bad for them.

Actually part of the reason is greater economic equality. A lot of Americans aren't getting a very big piece of the action of all that GDP. No matter how happy the Kochs are, they don't bring up the national happiness average much.

Last edited by cooker; 08-16-16 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-16-16, 10:39 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Your reading skills are apparently not the best. And your aversion to using the website's quote function,or otherwise backing your outlandish claims, is well known.
Old 08-16-16, 10:48 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

That then makes my point. Someone has made the assertions it was suggested "No one" makes. Unless the one posting such things is a no one? And others have encouraged such suggestions.
"No one" is advocating the cultish paleolithic primitive lifestyle I-Like-To-Bike referenced. You were the person who falsely equated that with some of tandempower's ideas, and I am pointing out that his are not actually as extreme or ridiculous as you imply.
Old 08-16-16, 10:51 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by Roody
Your reading skills are apparently not the best. And your aversion to using the website's quote function,or otherwise backing your outlandish claims, is well known.
As does your memory. Someone requested that I don't talk directly to them so they don't have to keep talking to me. I answered in the affirmative. It was in one of the threads on sustainability. I didn't say I wouldn't reference the ideas expressed.
Old 08-17-16, 07:49 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,601 Times in 1,081 Posts
"No one" is advocating the cultish paleolithic primitive lifestyle I-Like-To-Bike referenced. You were the person who falsely equated that with some of tandempower's ideas, and I am pointing out that his are not actually as extreme or ridiculous as you imply.
You and a couple of other posters are working overtime in supporting each others' P&R "ideas", no matter how extreme or ridiculous the posted P&R"thinking" .
BTW, see https://www.bikeforums.net/18990521-post125.html
Old 08-17-16, 08:12 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You and a couple of other posters are working overtime in supporting each others' P&R "ideas", no matter how extreme or ridiculous the posted P&R"thinking" .
BTW, see https://www.bikeforums.net/18990521-post125.html
You cited a group who want to eliminate all technology and reverse civilization, lose a few billion people, and return to the paleolithic era. That is not remotely similar to tandempower's somewhat neo-ludditist, post modern position that we limit some of the harms of technology and massive economic development by encouraging people to be less focussed on materialism and more on living harmoniously with nature, including adapting modern structures like high-rise building to be more ecologically sound and capitalizing on rather than suppressing innate human capabilities like climate adaptation, or modern bionic technology like bicycles that enhance and magnify human capacity rather than letting machines do everything for us. None of this is actually as ridiculous as you want to paint it to be, although it is admittedly unconventional. In fact, in your own life, being a somewhat independent thinker yourself, I wouldn't be surprised if you apply some of the same ideas - less materialism, limited reliance on cars, maybe turn down the thermostat and use a sweater in winter or sit under a beach umbrella or otherwise in shade on your patio in summer. How ridiculous of you.

Last edited by cooker; 08-17-16 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-17-16, 08:46 AM
McBTC

Damn, they can't have the GDP of the US so they have to settle for being happy. I feel bad for them.

Actually part of the reason is greater economic equality. A lot of Americans aren't getting a very big piece of the action of all that GDP. No matter how happy the Kochs are, they don't bring up the national happiness average much.

There is greater income equality in America than anyplace on Earth. One inescapable finding of the Timco is that it's better to be poor in a rich country than poor in a poor country. Even those below the supposed poverty line in America have cars, television, mobile phones and more square footage per child than you'll find in Europe.
Old 08-17-16, 09:03 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
the subject matter of the thread does not belong in P&R, and most of the posts in the last couple pages do not belong in this thread...time to close it.