Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Will carbon bikes last as long as steel?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Will carbon bikes last as long as steel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-13, 02:19 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0bbq
Lets accelerate things a bit. Strip a steel frame and a carbon one and toss them in the ocean. Wait a couple months, rinse and rebuild. Ride a few hundred miles on each. Lather, rinse, repeat.
See, that's what I'm talkin' about!
Old 04-26-13, 02:26 PM
Ferrous Bueller
absent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
Who needs a bike made of aircraft alloy?
Agreed. I stripped my bike of all materials used in the aerospace industry, and ended up with one 100% lighter.
Old 04-26-13, 02:26 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Seriously, a marketing ploy? No doubt no one needs titanium, but then no one really needs anything other than food, water, shelter, and a place to poop without bugs crawling up your butt. Having said that there are plenty of reasons to want Ti if you don't have it and appreciate it if you do. It are light, strong, tough, almost as fatigue resistant as steel and nearly totally impervious to corrosion, much more so than stainless steel. Nothing will withstand every crash, but Ti will withstand every other kind of abuse better than any other common bicycle construction material. Actually crashes are the one type of mishap that is not worth worrying about; there is nothing to be done about it. But there are plenty of other ways to damage a bike frame, and Ti will endure them as well or better than other currently used material. As for aesthetics, each to his own, but many agree that unpainted Ti is among the prettiest bike finishes available.

Ti isn't for everyone, but it is a highly desirable option to have in the bike frame market.

Robert
what other ways are there?
corrosion? you worry about that when talking about moving parts, not frames. Besides, paint jobs cover that pretty well nowadays.
I'm pretty sure fatigue resistance isn't really applicable to bicycles.

to me, these are nonfactors. The best frame is one that's durable, light and relatively inexpensive. That's carbon fiber. Titanium might be more durable, but unless you're Wolverine, planning to take the bike with your to the next century, don't even worry about it.

Ti is fool's gold, completely unnecessary in the practical sense. But I keep forgetting we're in the road cycling forum, where people pour their money into these kinds of things.

Last edited by spectastic; 04-26-13 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-26-13, 02:28 PM
Ooompa Loompa
Powered by pie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If science has taught us nothing else, it has at least taught us that if you drope the hamer and dial it up to 400 watts carbon will assplode.
Old 04-26-13, 02:43 PM
dissident

Bikes: Felt Z85

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
come back here to the forums after the winter off to see the important issues still take center stage here. Good to see.
Old 04-26-13, 02:45 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Liked 2,368 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Ooompa Loompa
If science has taught us nothing else, it has at least taught us that if you drope the hamer and dial it up to 400 watts carbon will assplode.
You need to let the GM Corvette engineers know. The new 2014 Vet has a CF hood. I'm not sure how watts match up with horsepower but the Vet has 450 horses so I assume the hood will assplode when you drop the hammer on it too. Just don't follow one too close.
Old 04-26-13, 02:51 PM
Ferrous Bueller
absent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The people who developed the Corvette are engineers? I thought it was a group of 12 year old boys.
Old 04-26-13, 02:52 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by spectastic
what other ways are there?
corrosion? you worry about that when talking about moving parts, not frames. Besides, paint jobs cover that pretty well nowadays.
I'm pretty sure fatigue resistance isn't really applicable to bicycles.

to me, these are nonfactors. The best frame is one that's durable, light and relatively inexpensive. That's carbon fiber. Titanium might be more durable, but unless you're Wolverine, planning to take the bike with your to the next century, don't even worry about it.

Ti is fool's gold, completely unnecessary in the practical sense. But I keep forgetting we're in the road cycling forum, where people pour their money into these kinds of things.
You don't think frame corrosion is important. As bike repainters why most frames come in to be redone. I know several folks who had Al frames replaced under warranty because of sweat corrosion and latent cracking. Your position on this is nonsense.

Your opinions about the lack of need for Ti bikes are fine. It is only natural to have folks on both sides of the question. But your contention that fatigue is not an issue in bicycle construction and operation is patently false. Aluminum has much shorter fatigue life than steel and has always been questioned as a appropriate frame material because of this. One of the most if not THE most common motion of frame members is repetitive flexing which is a primary cause of fatigue failure. Certain Al alloys, tube thicknesses, construction methods and such have enabled Al to take an important role as a frame material, but that doesn't mean Al's fatigue risk in bicycles isn't significantly higher than steel's and titanium's. As an example, Al saddle rails were short lived during the '80s due to fatigue failures after only a few months of riding.

Titanium bikes are a joy to own and ride for whatever reasons, necessity likely being the least. Not for you? Okay. But why the need to say silly things about it. And since when is carbon fiber inexpensive relative to Ti as far as frames are concerned. Prices for the latest embodiments of the two materials are quite comparable.

I have steel, carbon fiber, Ti and used to also ride Al. They have all been good rides and cost competitive considering their attributes. What is the point of saying one has no place in bike frames?

Robert

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 04-26-13 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-26-13, 02:55 PM
Nerull

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've been working with the local sailing club to repower a 40 year old sailboat, but I forgot to tell them composite materials don't last. Oops.

There is no particular reason a composite frame can't outlive you.

As to titanium not being subject to fatigue failure, I've seen enough snapped Ti to not be so sure of that. Titanium, like steel, is not damaged by stress levels below it's fatigue limit, but how much engineering work goes into making sure it isn't being pushed over that limit?

Last edited by Nerull; 04-26-13 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-26-13, 02:57 PM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,647 Times in 6,055 Posts
Seriously, a marketing ploy? No doubt no one needs titanium, but then no one really needs anything other than food, water, shelter, and a place to poop without bugs crawling up your butt. Having said that there are plenty of reasons to want Ti if you don't have it and appreciate it if you do. It is light, strong, tough, almost as fatigue resistant as steel and nearly totally impervious to corrosion, much more so than stainless steel. Nothing will withstand every crash, but Ti will withstand every other kind of abuse better than any other common bicycle construction material. Actually crashes are the one type of mishap that is not worth worrying about; there is nothing to be done about it. But there are plenty of other ways to damage a bike frame, and Ti will endure them as well or better than other currently used material. As for aesthetics, each to his own, but many agree that unpainted Ti is among the prettiest bike finishes available.

Ti isn't for everyone, but it is a highly desirable option to have in the bike frame market.

Robert
Most of the titanium bikes I've seen on the road have carbon forks.
Old 04-26-13, 03:08 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Mine has an Al fork. it's like the worst of both worlds and may explain why I prefer my carbon bike now.

I laaaaaaaugh whenever the "steel is real" crowd get really cracking. Where's the spot on a bike that you would least want a catastrophic failure? The fork... and that's usually made of CF. It's comedy.
Old 04-26-13, 03:24 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Nerull
I've been working with the local sailing club to repower a 40 year old sailboat, but I forgot to tell them composite materials don't last. Oops.

There is no particular reason a composite frame can't outlive you.

As to titanium not being subject to fatigue failure, I've seen enough snapped Ti to not be so sure of that. Titanium, like steel, is not damaged by stress levels below it's fatigue limit, but how much engineering work goes into making sure it isn't being pushed over that limit?
Never said carbon composites weren't long lived. That would be silly.

Never said titanium didn't fatigue. Did you think I had. I said it was nearly as resistant to fatigue as steel. In some cases it is higher. Steel fatigues too, just not very rapidly in bicycle usage.

There is really no argument here. That is what I am arguing!

Robert
Old 04-26-13, 03:28 PM
rpenmanparker 

Sure, because more than one kind of material is valuable in bike construction. That is my whole point.
Old 04-26-13, 03:36 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
You don't think frame corrosion is important. As bike repainters why most frames come in to be redone. I know several folks who had Al frames replaced under warranty because of sweat corrosion and latent cracking. Your position on this is nonsense.

Your opinions about the lack of need for Ti bikes are fine. It is only natural to have folks on both sides of the question. But your contention that fatigue is not an issue in bicycle construction and operation is patently false. Aluminum has much shorter fatigue life than steel and has always been questioned as a appropriate frame material because of this. One of the most if not THE most common motion of frame members is repetitive flexing which is a primary cause of fatigue failure. Certain Al alloys, tube thicknesses, construction methods and such have enabled Al to take an important role as a frame material, but that doesn't mean Al's fatigue risk in bicycles isn't significantly higher than steel's and titanium's. As an example, Al saddle rails were short lived during the '80s due to fatigue failures after only a few months of riding.

Titanium bikes are a joy to own and ride for whatever reasons, necessity likely being the least. Not for you? Okay. But why the need to say silly things about it. And since when is carbon fiber inexpensive relative to Ti as far as frames are concerned. Prices for the latest embodiments of the two materials are quite comparable.

I have steel, carbon fiber, Ti and used to also ride Al. They have all been good rides and cost competitive considering their attributes. What is the point of saying one has no place in bike frames?

Robert
I'm not going to argue with you anymore. to each his own.
Old 04-26-13, 03:58 PM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,647 Times in 6,055 Posts
Sure, because more than one kind of material is valuable in bike construction. That is my whole point.
It's a pretty self-evident point, though. So much that it probably doesn't need to be made, it's like saying "air is a valuable thing to have around because it's good to breathe."

I've never seen a bike with carbon fiber tires, for example, or titanium cable housing or steel brake pads. Hell, I've never even seen carbon chainrings, for obvious reasons.

But we're discussing this in the context of a chicken little thread where the sky is falling because somebody on the internet said a carbon fiber frame won't last 300 years. And in that context, it's worth pointing out that people have no qualms about buying a used steel bike with a used CF fork, and then riding down hills on it. It's like this guy who was talking about how the end of the world is next week, but still took the time to tend a garden; if carbon fiber wasn't a reliable and sensible material to make bike frames out of, people wouldn't do that, and people especially wouldn't use it to make forks.
Old 04-26-13, 04:37 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It's a pretty self-evident point, though. So much that it probably doesn't need to be made, it's like saying "air is a valuable thing to have around because it's good to breathe."

I've never seen a bike with carbon fiber tires, for example, or titanium cable housing or steel brake pads. Hell, I've never even seen carbon chainrings, for obvious reasons.

But we're discussing this in the context of a chicken little thread where the sky is falling because somebody on the internet said a carbon fiber frame won't last 300 years. And in that context, it's worth pointing out that people have no qualms about buying a used steel bike with a used CF fork, and then riding down hills on it. It's like this guy who was talking about how the end of the world is next week, but still took the time to tend a garden; if carbon fiber wasn't a reliable and sensible material to make bike frames out of, people wouldn't do that, and people especially wouldn't use it to make forks.
Now you have.
Old 04-26-13, 05:41 PM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cfiber
Only time will tell....

Given it's strength to mass ratio, I think CF is going to be around for a mighty long time!
It has the strength to mass, but does every frame built have the mass to support the strength. Light weight frames are fragile regardless of material. I know my light weight steel would not survive a crash that some carbon can. I've also seen CF crack from a bike falling over.
Old 04-26-13, 05:48 PM
clausen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You don't understand how business works. People will manufacture anything you want if your willing to buy it. Supply and demand. And look up carbon fork recall, I can think of a few major brands that have had them.
Old 04-26-13, 06:03 PM
rebel1916

Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by squatchy
I have a titanium mountain bike and two carbon bikes. I only got back into biking last year. I have 2 s-works but still find myself looking at titanium road bikes all the time. I'm not sure if I'm looking at Ti road bikes because I'm not sure if I feel as if the carbon bikes maybe won't last for too long or if I just have the "disease" of wanting more bikes.

Do you guys feel like your carbon bikes will last as long as you want them around? Should I look at carbon as permanent as steel?
I find that CF bikes tend to asplode very easily, where I have never heard of a Ti asplosion incident.
Old 04-26-13, 06:04 PM
Nakedbabytoes

Bikes: 1974 KoKo Sport 3000, 1987 Lotus Elite 600, 2003 Qunitana Roo Kilo tri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. The forth or fifth owner of your bike will appreciate the lifespan, but at a much cheaper cost.
I rode a 12 year old CF wheelset all last summer....and LIVED!!!!
Old 04-26-13, 06:08 PM
clausen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes
Yes. The forth or fifth owner of your bike will appreciate the lifespan, but at a much cheaper cost.
I rode a 12 year old CF wheelset all last summer....and LIVED!!!!
It's not the age that kills a frame, it's the abuse.
Old 04-26-13, 09:18 PM
rpenmanparker 

The idea of bikes frames surviving crashes, which is very dear to many on the 41 is just ridiculous. Bike frames are made to ride down the road, not survive crashes. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't, but it has nothing to do with the way they were built of from what material. We all hope our frames will survive the next inevitable crash. That is just human nature, but there is nothing we can do to guarantee it. My advice is buy the bike you want to ride, not the one you think you are safe to crash.

Robert
Old 04-27-13, 07:38 AM
Nerull

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
I find that CF bikes tend to asplode very easily, where I have never heard of a Ti asplosion incident.

Titanium spindles have a reputation for suddenly snapping in half. Any of these will ruin your day.
Old 04-27-13, 08:17 AM
rebel1916

Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts
Lies! Gypsy lies! Everyone knows that Ti is forever, steel is real and CF asplodes.
Old 04-27-13, 08:49 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Why does it always have to be one material for everyone in these? Can't we all just ride whatever we want?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.