Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mornings vs evening rides

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Mornings vs evening rides

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-09, 08:02 AM
UC223

Bikes: Cervelo S1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
During season i ride in the early AM. Up by 5 and on the bike by 5:30. It makes weekend wakeup for races at 4am a little easier on the system. Winter training is evenings. Just as dark as 5:30am, but usually 10 degrees warmer.
Old 11-23-09, 08:13 AM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Bikes: Brompton S2L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
20 mile commute, 6:45am and usually around 6pm, wheels up. I'd say I have more rough mornings than rough evenings, even after a rough morning, evenings are typically better. I chalk it up to colder temps, stiff body, and the mental game of 1) getting up early to ride, 2) riding "to work" vs. getting to ride home.

Weekends are usually morning rides as I don't want to spend all my precious weekend daylight hours on the bike. No problems with those mornings.
Old 11-23-09, 08:55 AM
Steve in MA

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Roubaix comp (SRAM Rival), 2009 Trek 7.3FX, Early 80's steel frame Suteki road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm definitely enjoy my morning rides more than later in the day. By late afternoon, my energy level is down, plus there's so much more traffic to deal with. And with a ride later in the day, that's time that I could be spending with my family (my wife and daughter like to sleep in on the weekends).

My ideal ride (in the summer, anyway): wake at 5:30 for breakfast, and on the road about 6:30. Home by 9:30 or so, with the rest of the day for family activities or weekend chores. :-)
Old 11-23-09, 09:05 AM
noise boy

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9

Liked 498 Times in 300 Posts
I get up at 7:00AM or so every morning (when possible) and do 45 minutes or so then off to work. On weekends I ride on Sunday afternoon while the wife does a long run. I am not a morning person, but I find that once I roll out of bed and get out on the bike it goes fine. Evenings aren't really an option, my work frequently runs into the evenings.
Old 11-23-09, 02:01 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Interesting stuff. I'm going to try to see if a short jog or morning swim loosens up the body a little. But realistically, given that my "work" starts at 7:30am or so, that means I have to get up at 4:00 or something like that in order to get a 2 hour ride in. That simply aint gonna happen as I rarely can get to bed before midnight. And even if I could, I never have an appetite that early either - so I'll be on the bike without being properly fueled.

I think I'll get a trainer and catch up any missed ride at night while watching a movie or something. Had my first ride on rollers today, as a matter of fact. The most important thing I learned there is that standover clearance is reduced due to the height of the rollers (o.u.c.h).