Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

BB30, is it really better than Hollowtech & GXP?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Is BB30 better than Hollowtech & GXP?
BB30 is a huge improvement over Hollowtech & GXP.
16.67%
BB30 is better, but not worth the expense of a new crank. Use an adapter.
12.96%
BB30 is not better than Hollowtech & GXP, but works well.
44.44%
BB30 is having some issues, avoid it at all cost.
25.93%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

BB30, is it really better than Hollowtech & GXP?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-11, 07:43 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by sakonnetclip
Happens all the time, you may have thought you've created the best thing in the world, but even if there's really little end user value an investment has been made and there's still marketing value...so you hype the hell out of it. How about those silly little beans Specialized put in their frames?

Cannondale is a big bike company with aggressive plans to expand in Asia and an owner with expectations. You're not going to do it just by getting bikes in shops...They have a nice marketing pitch that's easy...BB30 = stiff and S.A.V.E = comfort. The fact that there are options for BB30 cranks shows their market share is pretty influential.

For the record, I like Cannondale a lot and ride a BB30 bike. Couldn't tell you if BB30 is really any better or not but I am surprised there isn't more out there in support of the standard.
I guess I just don't view BB30 as only being Cannondale - probably because out of all of the BB30 bikes I have worked on in the last few years only 1 of them was a Cannondale. I therefore see no connection between promotion/marketing and 1 company trying to "convince the world".

Old 07-29-11, 07:44 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by scirocco
Well, I did use the word "decent". The thread title was about BB30 being better than Hollowtech. Name me one readily available BB30 crankset (including the rings, and excluding the Hollowgram) that shifts better, flexes less and generally performs better than DA7900 on Hollowtech.
I'm sure you'll debate it but I can readily acquire a full line of SRAM crank products on BB30. Not my fault Shimano is dragging it's heels. FWIW you can get the Wheels Mfg shims to convert from BB30 to Shimano's External BB standard.

Old 07-29-11, 08:04 AM
cmolway
on a road near you...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i bought a bb30 frameset last year and used the above mentioned Wheels Mfg adapters to build it up with a ultegra 6700 crankset. Simple, cheap, required no special tools, removable and works just fine.
Old 07-29-11, 08:04 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by Hunt-man
I got BB30 on my Pedal Force QS3 over a year ago. The bearings would not stay seated. Creaky cracky noisy POS, BB30 is. I finally had the mechanic use Green Loctite to glue the bearings in. I have the carbon SLX cranks????

I'd much rather have threaded BB's.
Anytime this has popped up it has been all about the install and the original bearing pocket. There seems to be a lot of debate out there among most wrenches concerning proper installation. I had a local shop that was taught by the OEM to use Loctite. I told her not to in any way shape or form. She did. I then spent 2 hours trying to get a guys BB apart to fix it....because it has started creaking. you should have seen his face when I pulled out a torch.

In my opinion they should be bathed in grease when they are set in place. Every one I have done has come out well by doing that. She brought it up at the Specialized rollout in CA a week or two ago and she said everyone there was about 50/50 Loctite and grease.

Regardless - she used RED Loctite. She should have use the sleeve locking compound - Green as you mentioned. That would have been OK.

Old 07-29-11, 08:06 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
LBSs are clearly benefited by BB30 (and all the other press-in BBs). Cyclists are far more likely to hire their services with a press-in BB than with an easy-to-service threaded BB.
Old 07-29-11, 08:10 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
LBSs are clearly benefited by BB30 (and all the other press-in BBs). Cyclists are far more likely to hire their services with a press-in BB than with an easy-to-service threaded BB.
Nah. It only takes a couple of simple tools to use a BB30. Just like it only takes a couple of simple tools to work on an external BB....or cartridge system BB or old square taper. Just because they are new tools doesn't mean no one can buy them.

Old 07-29-11, 08:28 AM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I'm sure you'll debate it but I can readily acquire a full line of SRAM crank products on BB30. Not my fault Shimano is dragging it's heels. FWIW you can get the Wheels Mfg shims to convert from BB30 to Shimano's External BB standard.
But surely you're aware that Cannondale created the BB30 standard. If you go to the BB30 website, the drawings are addressed to Cannondale. Yeah, they open-sourced it because there was no way they'd get support for it if they hadn't. Cannondale is big but not that big.
Old 07-29-11, 08:37 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
On BB30...

I've subscribed to BB30, but there are some shortcomings.

First off, there are no facing tools that I know of. If I have a frame with an imperfect BB30 bearing face, I can't fix it.

Second, the bearing removal process will probably ruin good bearings. If you swap out cranks you should have another set of bearings just in case.

On the other hand, there are things about BB30 that are good.

1. BB30 is light. The SRM Hollowgram crankset is 675 grams. It's a lot lighter than a 900g external bearing crankset.
2. With minor tools it's serviceable. I brought all the tools to my SoCal training camp. To be fair it's easier to service an external bearing BB (I have one of those).

I suspect Shimano is not on BB30 mainly because of the tolerances required for the frame as well as the less-than-automatic maintenance/replacement procedures. Shimano's stuff can be assembled by non-mechanics pretty easily (save Di2). It's kind of plug and play. BB30 is a bit more... Linux like.

Shimano is a practical company. They didn't go to carbon arms immediately because it would be hard to justify the cost for a barely measurable performance difference. Plus they're big aluminum/forging folks. Yes they went carbon rims, but they make sense. Carbon arms, not so much. If they don't go BB30 it's for a reason. Initially I thought it was just politics, but after looking at how their DA/Ultegra/wheel lines have matured, I think it's a service issue.
Old 07-29-11, 08:39 AM
Hunt-man
Tete de Couch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anytime this has popped up it has been all about the install and the original bearing pocket. There seems to be a lot of debate out there among most wrenches concerning proper installation. I had a local shop that was taught by the OEM to use Loctite. I told her not to in any way shape or form. She did. I then spent 2 hours trying to get a guys BB apart to fix it....because it has started creaking. you should have seen his face when I pulled out a torch.

In my opinion they should be bathed in grease when they are set in place. Every one I have done has come out well by doing that. She brought it up at the Specialized rollout in CA a week or two ago and she said everyone there was about 50/50 Loctite and grease.

Regardless - she used RED Loctite. She should have use the sleeve locking compound - Green as you mentioned. That would have been OK.
Good tips. With mine the shop did the work each time. Took three tries to get it to stop making noise. Don't think we ever tried grease. (Edit: I think we used grease the first time) That might have made the creaking / cracking sounds it started making less audible. We did try red loctite, as I recall and it didn't do it. It was a predictable pattern. After about 10 rides the noises would start when I was standing and pushing hard, then it would get worse. We used new bearings each times we rebuilt it.

I finally got the point where I would have used epoxy to make it stop. I've got 2k on the green loctite build and it has been quiet. I do dread when it is time to change the bearings..... torch time????

Last edited by Hunt-man; 07-29-11 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-29-11, 08:46 AM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hunt-man
Good tips. With mine the shop did the work each time. Took three tries to get it to stop making noise. Don't think we ever tried grease. That might have made the creaking / cracking sounds it started making less audible. We did try red loctite, as I recall and it didn't do it. It was a predictable pattern. After about 10 rides the noises would start when I was standing and pushing hard, then it would get worse. We used new bearings each times we rebuilt it.

I finally got the point where I would have used epoxy to make it stop. I've got 2k on the green loctite build and it has been quiet. I do dread when it is time to change the bearings..... torch time????
Green and blue loctite both release at relatively low temperatures. From the Loctite website: For disassembly, shear with standard hand tools and remove with methylene chloride. In rare instances where hand tools do not work because
of excessive engagement length, apply localized heat to nut or bolt to approximately 482°F (250°C). Disassemble while hot.
Old 07-29-11, 08:59 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by nhluhr
But surely you're aware that Cannondale created the BB30 standard. If you go to the BB30 website, the drawings are addressed to Cannondale. Yeah, they open-sourced it because there was no way they'd get support for it if they hadn't. Cannondale is big but not that big.
Sure...but like I said - I have seen so few Cannondale BB30's in comparison to other manufacturers BB30's that I just don't think of BB30 as Cannondale. In other words the market has matured enough that Cannondale doesn't necessarily benefit from further promotion or proliferation of BB30.

To me it is no different than saying Campagnolo is trying to promote the quick release skewer.

Old 07-29-11, 08:59 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by nhluhr
Green and blue loctite both release at relatively low temperatures. From the Loctite website: For disassembly, shear with standard hand tools and remove with methylene chloride. In rare instances where hand tools do not work because
of excessive engagement length, apply localized heat to nut or bolt to approximately 482°F (250°C). Disassemble while hot.
+1 - green I can usually get out. Blue is easy. Green has had to be heated before but not nearly as mcuh.

Old 07-29-11, 09:23 AM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
this reminds me that my BB30 is creaky.

honestly though, that stuff doesnt bother me. i keep the bike clean & well maintained to the best of my non mechanical abilities, but freak me man, its a tool in the end. i like it looking good, looking new, looking hawt.

a tool that i utilize to punish tri guys at group road rides or a tool i use to not wave at you because im in the middle of 8 x 1 minutes @ 490w, or a tool i use to yell at you to take the damn wheel or not, or a tool i use to.....

i can do this all day.

good luck with your BB30. later.
Old 07-29-11, 09:27 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by aham23
this reminds me that my BB30 is creaky.
Hmmm...must be your mechanic.

(that would be me BTW guys)

Speaking of which....I have your gear. Maybe tonight if I get rained out at the track so that you're running on all cylinders at Greyslake tomorrow?

Old 07-29-11, 10:09 AM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
^^^^ i dont think i can swing it tonight. family committment since i will be gone most of tomorrow. can hurt (too much) to ask though later.
Old 07-29-11, 10:27 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Early tomorrow? Greyslake via Elgin......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Old 07-29-11, 01:46 PM
pchopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nah. It only takes a couple of simple tools to use a BB30. Just like it only takes a couple of simple tools to work on an external BB....or cartridge system BB or old square taper. Just because they are new tools doesn't mean no one can buy them.
Psimet, I just bought a BB30 frameset, and want to still use my Ultegra crank. What tools will I need? From the Park Tool website, it looks like I'll need the bottom bracket tool (for removing the BB30 bearings when it comes time to swap) and the headset press. Is there anything else? I assume the Wheels Mfg shims can be pressed in by hand, it's probably free fit? TIA for any help.
Old 07-29-11, 02:03 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by pchopper
Psimet, I just bought a BB30 frameset, and want to still use my Ultegra crank. What tools will I need? From the Park Tool website, it looks like I'll need the bottom bracket tool (for removing the BB30 bearings when it comes time to swap) and the headset press. Is there anything else? I assume the Wheels Mfg shims can be pressed in by hand, it's probably free fit? TIA for any help.
Park has a consumer headset press you could use with the BB30 drifts they sell. I have the large shop Park headset press. I find though that I use a Wheels Manufacturing most often. ABI/Enduro makes a really cool press/tool kit that does install and removal. They actually have a lot of cool tools that I was unaware of until I became a dealer for them. Really you can get away with just about anything. You could easily just get the bearing drifts and use a threaded rod from Home Depot with some nuts and washers on it to make your own press.

EDIT: Also the wheels mfg shims do not press in. You just push them into the bearing by hand.

Old 07-29-11, 02:09 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Park - BBT30.3 It has the 2 bearing drifts and the hammer to take them out. Us the threaded rod and nuts/washers to make a press.

Old 07-29-11, 04:04 PM
sakonnetclip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I just don't view BB30 as only being Cannondale - probably because out of all of the BB30 bikes I have worked on in the last few years only 1 of them was a Cannondale. I therefore see no connection between promotion/marketing and 1 company trying to "convince the world".
That's a fair point, I'm not a shop owner and only see my own bike

From a marketing perspective though it's a common technique in an attempt to create brand recognition and in the end...sell more bikes. My company does a similar thing with one of our core technologies...we give it away for free. Now, many of our competitors use it which ultimately brings a % of their customers over to us because we're seen as the "innovator"...it's all about the BRAND.
Old 07-29-11, 08:54 PM
scirocco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a BB30 frameset, and want to still use my Ultegra crank. What tools will I need?
I've just bought a BB30 frame and plan on using a Shimano crank. I'm going to give one of these gadgets a try. What I like about this is that you don't have to install BB30 bearings or adaptor, and the press fit appears to be done simply by screwing the unit together using the regular Hollowtech tools (okay, you need two of them). At 110g it's not that much heavier than BB30 bearings plus adaptors.

Old 07-30-11, 10:01 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I've just bought a BB30 frame and plan on using a Shimano crank. I'm going to give one of these gadgets a try. What I like about this is that you don't have to install BB30 bearings or adaptor, and the press fit appears to be done simply by screwing the unit together using the regular Hollowtech tools (okay, you need two of them). At 110g it's not that much heavier than BB30 bearings plus adaptors.

That looks like a winner, thanks. I like that the bearings will be perfectly aligned and that installing and removing the unit should be idiot proof. It also looks like it will add stiffness compared to using an adapter.

I've only found one seller, so far: https://sales.light-bikes.com/kcnc/defaut.asp

Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-30-11 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-30-11, 10:47 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I have the CAAD9 with BB30. That being said...

It's a "solution" for a "problem" that doesn't/didn't exist.

I have no issues with my BB30, I just went with it since the frame came that way, and the adapter for an English threaded HT2 crank was just excess weight for no real purpose.

I will say, when I spin cranks on the workstand, that the BB30 has the most resistance. The HT2/external bearing comes in second, while the square taper crank I have seems nearly frictionless and just keeps spinning with a flick of the crank. Granted, that's only on the stand...
Old 07-30-11, 02:20 PM
pchopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Park - BBT30.3 It has the 2 bearing drifts and the hammer to take them out. Us the threaded rod and nuts/washers to make a press.
Thanks, the threaded rod and nuts/washers is a great alternative to the headset press, as I can't see myself doing this more than once a year, if even that.

Thanks for this too, my frame comes in August (Specialized Roubaix S-Works, woohoo!), so I have some time to choose an option, and this looks pretty nifty. I'm going to have to look up what hollowtech is, I have no idea if my Ultegra crank uses that standard or what. All I know is I already bought the tool for the external Shimano bearings; a lot of bike tools are so specific (due to so many different standards out there of course) it can get frustrating.
Old 07-30-11, 03:06 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Thanks, the threaded rod and nuts/washers is a great alternative to the headset press, as I can't see myself doing this more than once a year, if even that.

Thanks for this too, my frame comes in August (Specialized Roubaix S-Works, woohoo!), so I have some time to choose an option, and this looks pretty nifty. I'm going to have to look up what hollowtech is, I have no idea if my Ultegra crank uses that standard or what. All I know is I already bought the tool for the external Shimano bearings; a lot of bike tools are so specific (due to so many different standards out there of course) it can get frustrating.
Both the current 6700 and the prior 6600 Ultegra cranks use the Hollowtech II bottom bracket design.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.