Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Do you have optimism about urban cycling in the future?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Do you have optimism about urban cycling in the future?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-15, 06:20 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Liked 1,664 Times in 841 Posts
I dream that one day our world will be like it was on the Jetsons. I'll hang up the Huffy for good.
Old 10-05-15, 07:30 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Cute story, SpeshulEd
Old 10-06-15, 05:55 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
This is my favorite story about the google cars so far...
A Cyclist's Track Stand Befuddled One of Google's Self-Driving Cars
Good one... the cyclist reported:
it apparently detected my presence (it’s covered in Go-Pros) and stayed stationary for several seconds. it finally began to proceed, but as it did, I rolled forward an inch while still standing. the car immediately stopped...

I continued to stand, it continued to stay stopped. then as it began to move again, I had to rock the bike to maintain balance. it stopped abruptly.

we repeated this little dance for about 2 full minutes and the car never made it past the middle of the intersection. the two guys inside were laughing and punching stuff into a laptop, I guess trying to modify some code to ‘teach’ the car something about how to deal with the situation.

the odd thing is that even tho it was a bit of a CF, I felt safer dealing with a self-driving car than a human-operated one.
So apparently the car did detect the human just fine and worked hard to ensure that they didn't collide... consistent with google's other tests...

The tidbit highlighted above is also a glimpse into how the testing program uses actual humans to “teach” the car to understand the countless unexpected things it might discover on the road. At Google I/O this year, Astro Teller gave us another glimpse into the testing process—which is challenging in part because Google’s testing team must recreate the nearly countless surprises a car could face on the road. Those tests included throwing beach balls at the car as it drives down the road, having a (fake) bird attack or swoop down towards it, and amazingly, having humans pop out of bags in the middle of the street.
I am sure there will be undiscovered flaws in the software... but for normal situations, the cars will likely vastly outperform the typical distracted human.
Old 10-06-15, 05:56 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I dream that one day our world will be like it was on the Jetsons. I'll hang up the Huffy for good.
Why, the Huffy will suit you just fine in that future world... even better than today, when you have to dodge a bunch of distracted humans.
Old 10-06-15, 02:39 PM
vol

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
For one thing, bicycles are relatively primary (of course horse carriages are even more so), automobiles represent industrial/technological advancement, and car owning represent wealth, which is what many pursue (this is, of course, not the only reason why many prefer driving). We could use the analog of food: hundreds or thousands years ago people probably ate bland food that were healthier than today's junk food. If people are all so rational, there would be no need for "No smoking" sign, etc., etc....

Last edited by vol; 10-06-15 at 05:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-06-15, 03:33 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by vol
For one thing, bicycles are relatively primary (of course hores carriages are even more so), automobiles represent industrial/technological advancement, and car owning represent wealth, which is what many pursue (this is, of course, not the only reason why many prefer driving). We could use the analog of food: hundreds or thousands years ago people probably ate bland food that were healthier than today's junk food. If people are all so rational, there would be no need for "No smoking" sign, etc., etc....
Hundreds of years ago... poor people ate lobster and abalone... foods that are considered delicacies today... So much for your food analog.
Oh and bicycles were once the playthings of the rich.
Lobsters were once only fed to poor people and prisoners
Lobster Was Once A Poor Man's Food - KnowledgeNuts
Old 10-06-15, 05:20 PM
vol

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Hundreds of years ago... poor people ate lobster and abalone... foods that are considered delicacies today...
What I said was 'bland', or plain, not cooked or produced the way that require advanced technology, such as the many processed things we find in the markets today. Lobster without pollution... that's exactly what I was talking about: they lived simpler and healthier life hundreds years ago. It's a pretty valid analog.
Old 10-08-15, 05:31 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
There is absolutely no danger of me affording anything but a bicycle ever again so the point would be moot to me.