Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

NYT Wirecutter

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-24, 04:22 PM
Chris(NJ)

Bikes: Aethos (inbound), Pivot LES -XX1, Ibis Hakka -Force1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm just surprised people still read the New York Slimes err, times lol. This article was a good example.
Old 02-26-24, 04:31 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7088 Post(s)
Liked 11,207 Times in 4,784 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ)
I'm just surprised people still read the New York Slimes err, times lol. This article was a good example.
What is your objection to the piece?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-26-24, 06:56 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 786 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
And the NYT in general? I find it to be one of the better sources of news.
Old 02-26-24, 09:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,021 Posts
Your politics are showing - take to the P&R Forum.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-27-24, 08:09 AM
axelwik
Yep

Bikes: Gianni Motta road bike, old Diamondback MTB converted to a touring bike, and a GT MTB converted to an e-bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 16 Posts
I trust the NYT more for an honest opinion on bicycles than a magazine in the business of keeping bicycle industry advertisers happy, and they were only making a general statement. And I agree with their conclusions - "high end" usually means lighter, but sometimes less durability. I certainly wouldn't go on a tour in a remote part of the world with a "stupid-light" bike with CF wheels containing fewer high-tension spokes, shifters that require special batteries, proprietary parts etc.

Nothing really wrong with Bicycling Magazine - they do a good job of reviewing things if you're in the market for it, but most of it is really in the "want" category for those of us who already have a nice bicycle that works.

Last edited by axelwik; 02-27-24 at 08:21 AM.
Likes For axelwik:
Old 02-27-24, 09:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18529 Post(s)
Liked 15,888 Times in 7,457 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
And the NYT in general? I find it to be one of the better sources of news.
Maybe the crossword puzzle is too hard for him.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-27-24, 10:46 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,021 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Maybe the crossword puzzle is too hard for him.
Hysterical. Spoiler: A knot in the present? is a “bow”

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-27-24, 11:02 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Remember when Sears use to adv their products as Good, Better, and Best.? Almost always the "better" was the best deal between cost and serviceablilty.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 02-27-24, 04:25 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18529 Post(s)
Liked 15,888 Times in 7,457 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Hysterical. Spoiler: A knot in the present? is a “bow”
If you play with matches, you can get burned.

I don’t bother with it early in the week. Too easy. I only do Wednesday because I get the paper for the Food section. Thursday-Sunday is my zone, although I missed last Sunday. I tried a weekend delivery plan several months back, but they had so much trouble delivering the paper. I canceled after 3 weekends. Out of 9 papers, only 2 were delivered on the days they were supposed to be delivered.
Old 02-28-24, 12:03 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7088 Post(s)
Liked 11,207 Times in 4,784 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
It's been a couple days, and no response. I'm guessing this means that he didn't read the article, but just wanted to slur the NYT.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-06-24, 01:13 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The writer provides no information that is useful. Better to have said that the value is with buying a used bike for a fraction of what it sold for when new. Smarter to buy a middle or upper range used carbon fiber bike than a new aluminum frame bike with cheaper components.

In terms of theft the better looking a bike the more likely it is to attract thieves. Friends who biked to the college campus would have a bike for that purpose with the front derailleur removed and the frame painted with some ugly color or flat black and using a cheap wheelset. A thief wants to be able to sell the bike as quickly as possible and does not want to invest in fixing it up.

In cities I never would leave a bike out of my sight and hope it would not get stolen. At a minimum I would invest $300 in a Hiplok D1000 and still have the bike in sight. I would still have a stripped bike that provided little of any value to a thief.
Old 03-06-24, 02:27 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked 2,543 Times in 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
The writer provides no information that is useful. Better to have said that the value is with buying a used bike for a fraction of what it sold for when new. Smarter to buy a middle or upper range used carbon fiber bike than a new aluminum frame bike with cheaper components.

f.
Your average person reading Wirecutter for info on this is not going to know what to look for in a used bike.

And many people would rather buy a new bike from a shop with support.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-09-24, 11:37 AM
mikeoverly
Stuck in Toeclips

Bikes: https://thesearemikesbikes.blogspot.com/2023/06/mikes-bikes.html

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I've always liked the way Wirecutter cuts to the chase in their reviews, and they cut to the chase just fine here. Now that you can easily build a UCI-minimum bike with 105, the high-end groups exist mainly as bling. Even back in the day, the practical difference between top-tier and second tier stuff was mainly which bolts would crack first. FWIW I have stuff with Tourney that shifts just peachy after decades of use.
Old 03-09-24, 06:35 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
None are needed to have a top performing and/or really enjoyable fast bike.
Agreed. My 2015 Shiv has mechanical shifting, cable operated rim brakes and I have no idea why I could use a power meter, and I'm doing just fine. I am running tubeless on that bike, though. Mainly for puncture protection, not any kind of speed/efficiency benefit.
Old 03-12-24, 10:00 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 243 Posts
I agree with the premise.
Buying good basic quality is important. For example an entry-level Trek is worth the money.
Buying less weight will only make a difference for maybe < 5% of us.

One anecdote from my own fleet:
I bought a Chinese eBike with the entry-level 7-speed Shimano thumb shifter. (heybike Ranger) Many folks turn their nose up at it, since it is entry-level. But it still has Shimano's basic quality and was smooth & reliable.

My next eBike, I bought had a nicer 8-speed trigger-shifting Shimano that they really talked-up. I prefer the cheaper one, because I can downshift all 7 gears at a time in one stroke of the thumb as I come up to a red light. (upshifts are still one at a time, but I can decelerate a lot quicker than I can accelerate, right?)

Another one: On my road bike, I have a nice Shimano brifter setup. Push the brake lever inwards to go to bigger sprockets, push the lever in to go to smaller ones. On my gravel bike, I have a cheaper Microshift arrangement with one protruding button for upshifts and one lever for downshifts. No sideways movement of the brake lever is needed, and I prefer the cheaper Microshift arrangement.

I think with shifting hardware, it's mostly down to weight and that tactile goodness of the higher end stuff. It just FEELS better; slick and refined. It's not functionally better.

Last one: I was out riding with a couple of buddies. I was on my humble Domane AL3. My one buddy was on an old Gary Fisher mountain bike set up as a road bike. (he's one of those older guys who's a lot stronger ride than he looks like he'd be) The other buddy was on his top of range Domane SLR9 with carbon everything. That guy got a flat and it was a ***** to pry the tire off the deep carbon rim. It took three of us at least 40 minutes to fix that flat. He was running lightweight, high-performance 25 mm racing tires, but he flatted with just two tiny little grains of glass that worked their way into the tread. My cheap & heavy 32 mm Bontrager Hardcase "Lite" tires would have shook that off no problem, and if I had flatted from it, it would have been quick & easy to fix.

Last edited by Smaug1; 03-12-24 at 10:04 AM.