Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

BQ: Disc Brakes "Not Mature Tech"

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

BQ: Disc Brakes "Not Mature Tech"

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-15, 04:18 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,841 Times in 1,106 Posts
Yeah, knowing Heine/BQ, you don't need to read the article to know how they're going to fall or what they're going to b*tch about. Talk about mature tech...those guys are over the hill.
Old 09-16-15, 05:04 AM
Lazyass

Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson
Wheel ejection?

Does using disk brakes mean that your wheels are randomly ejected from your bicycle? Sounds very Wile E Coyote like.
I believe they may mean removing the wheel. I think it was Team Roompot who tested them in the Eneco Tour a few weeks ago. They ended up just switching bikes when a rider had a flat because changing the wheel took too long.
Old 09-16-15, 05:56 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Jan Heine, who runs that magazine, is using an older rando bike with centerpull brakes and he has a preference for performance....and I'm sure his braking is totally solid. Older stuff like centerpulls are awesome.

I'm not at all sold on disc brakes for a road bike and have found rim brakes are perfectly fine. Of course they aren't mature tech for the road though...they haven't been out all that long and they haven't been widely adopted.
Old 09-16-15, 11:26 AM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
There's a cool picture in an earlier issue of BQ testing rim brakes where the rear tire is a foot off the ground. The tester said it looked scarier than it was; the bike was surprisingly easy to control with the rear wheel airborne. How much more braking power do you need on a single bike if your current brake can throw you over the handlebars?

Maybe they should be comparing rim and disc brakes on a tandem.
Old 09-16-15, 12:22 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Yeah, knowing Heine/BQ, you don't need to read the article to know how they're going to fall or what they're going to b*tch about. Talk about mature tech...those guys are over the hill.
Jan isnt entirely retrogrouch for the sake of being retrogrouch (a la Grant Peterson). He wears tights, uses clipless, and while advocating fairly large tires, still favor fairly light versions of them. He doesn't endorse or market his wares as race-appropriate... and atleast has justification for his choice of gear. (although I think top-routed brake levers are utter rubbish for ergonomics and function).

A bit refreshing from the fawning of other publications -- when have you ever read a negative review?
"This frame is light and rockets off your feet"
"This frame is heavy but gives the feeling of sturdiness and durability"

"The top grade dura ace groupset provides impeccable shifting"
"This sora groupset is not as pretty or light as the upmarket equipment, but functions exactly the same"

**yawn**
Old 09-16-15, 02:55 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Liked 180 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by MKahrl

Maybe they should be comparing rim and disc brakes on a tandem.
Yes, you can make a case for discs on a tandem.
Old 09-16-15, 03:03 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
I can see the "not mature tech" argument in terms of industry wide standards (but in that case, pressfit BB's aren't mature technology), but who needs anything better than Shimano hydraulic discs? Those things are friggin' awesome. Not that they won't improve, but carbon-ceramic rotors? That seems like a bit much. That's basically F1 and MotoGP tech. The majority of cars being produced and manufactured as we speak use steel rotors, and would you call a brand new car an immature technology?
Old 09-16-15, 03:31 PM
Bandera
~>~

Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
but who needs anything better than Shimano hydraulic discs? Those things are friggin' awesome.
"Afraid for my safety, I stop to let the (Shimano BR-785) brakes cool......
the brakes have stopped howling but the lever still bottoms out against the handlebars during hard braking."

BQ #53 Pg.40
Old 09-16-15, 05:18 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,841 Times in 1,106 Posts
Originally Posted by redfooj
Jan isnt entirely retrogrouch for the sake of being retrogrouch (a la Grant Peterson). He wears tights, uses clipless, and while advocating fairly large tires, still favor fairly light versions of them. He doesn't endorse or market his wares as race-appropriate... and atleast has justification for his choice of gear. (although I think top-routed brake levers are utter rubbish for ergonomics and function).

A bit refreshing from the fawning of other publications -- when have you ever read a negative review?
"This frame is light and rockets off your feet"
"This frame is heavy but gives the feeling of sturdiness and durability"

"The top grade dura ace groupset provides impeccable shifting"
"This sora groupset is not as pretty or light as the upmarket equipment, but functions exactly the same"

**yawn**
Well, whether he's a retrogrouch for the sake of retrogrouchiness, or has some sophisticated rationale, I don't know, because I barely find BQ interesting enough to read, let alone interesting enough to want to get into Heine's personal belief system, so I'll take your word for it. Regardless, I've read enough to know he's an ideologue.
Old 09-16-15, 06:37 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,037 Times in 4,273 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson
Wheel ejection?

Does using disk brakes mean that your wheels are randomly ejected from your bicycle? Sounds very Wile E Coyote like.
Only in front. Surely everyone running disc will be running through axles before long.
Old 09-16-15, 06:50 PM
eriku16

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
I can see the "not mature tech" argument in terms of industry wide standards (but in that case, pressfit BB's aren't mature technology), but who needs anything better than Shimano hydraulic discs?
Shimano MTB parts are adapted for road bikes and are in no way mature.... Waiting for some company who is willing to spend the R&D for a true ground up design exclusively for road bikes.
Old 09-17-15, 01:08 PM
Kabloink

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lazyass
And some people believe anything that's new or different is always better just because it's new or different. They usually vote democrat.
You can't blame democrats for not wanting to ride a penny farthing.
Old 09-17-15, 01:22 PM
njkayaker

Liked 1,461 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
...that sometimes an immature technology is better than a mature one. Things don't always come about in linear fashion. ...
"Immature" implies that the technology is either still changing rapidly or isn't very reliable. It isn't a synonym for "new". One common problem with "immature" technology is that it become obsolete.

In general, people should avoid buying "immature" technology.

That things "don't always come about in linear fashion" has no relevance (no one is talking about how new technology is developed).

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-17-15 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-17-15, 01:33 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by elcruxio
But this somehow only applies to road? I knew MTB'ers or other non road riders weren't actually using their brakes hard! It must have something to do with loose surfaces, the need for extremely precise braking to keep front traction and enough power not have cramping hands after every small hill... I guess if I wanted to brake hard on my MTB i need to go back to Vee brakes...
???

BQ is talking about bicycling for long-distance Randonees and dirt-road riding. Not racing or mountain biking or downhill or touring.
Old 09-17-15, 01:34 PM
njkayaker

I believe they may mean removing the wheel.
No. "Wheel ejection" doesn't sound like "wheel removal".
Old 09-17-15, 01:41 PM
Spoonrobot 

Liked 211 Times in 124 Posts
As mentioned earlier in the thread, hydraulic disc brakes for road bikes are not mature technology. The calipers and levers are making a ton of compromises and design choices that MTB did not have to deal with. I think road hydraulics will get better but most definitely will not be as good as MTB hydraulics since the shifting and brake mechanisms have to be incorporated into the same lever, unlike MTB where shifting and braking controls are two separate components.

Mechanical discs for road bikes are probably as good as they're going to get but they're making compromises over rim brakes that generally turn people off.

I''ll still take the review with a grain of salt. Jan has provided an excellet counterpoint to modern race-focused cycling but anyone who prefers & advocates threaded headsets in 2015 is suspect.
Old 09-17-15, 01:43 PM
Lazyass

Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
No. "Wheel ejection" doesn't sound like "wheel removal".
If they were studying wheels with standard dropouts and quick release skewers then maybe. There are cases where disc brakes have pulled wheels out of dropouts, I know one case went to court. The disc pulls the wheel in the direction of the open fork ends with a lot of force. I don't see how thru-axles would be a problem.
Old 09-17-15, 01:53 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
the brakes have stopped howling but the lever still bottoms out against the handlebars during hard braking."

BQ #53 Pg.40
Sounds like Tejon Pass... He should have shifted down to third to let the engine do the work.

Seriously, disk brakes for road bikes don't seem big enough. They ought to be bigger than the ones for MTB's because the speeds are higher, especially on descents. But the market wants them to look more delicate because they're for road and not MTB.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-17-15, 01:58 PM
69chevy
wears long socks

Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
This doesn't happen in reality. Seriously who thinks this stuff?
I think the wheel ejection thing came from this..

Trek released a statement detailing how improper installation of a front quick release lever on the bike could lead it to get caught in the front disc brake, resulting in a separation of the front wheel and loss of control for the rider.
Old 09-17-15, 02:12 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by 69chevy
I think the wheel ejection thing came from this..

Trek released a statement detailing how improper installation of a front quick release lever on the bike could lead it to get caught in the front disc brake, resulting in a separation of the front wheel and loss of control for the rider.
That recall concerns QR levers that swing wide open and snag on rotor spokes.

Another front wheel ejection fear stems from the fact that when applied, most front disc calipers want to push the front axle out of the dropouts. So if your skewer fails or isn't properly tightened (even if it's not the full-swing levers that the recall is concerning, even if you have leverless skewers) the wheel might eject.

You'd have to be going over some rough stuff (rough enough to unweight the front wheel intermittently), while applying front brake, with a broken or improperly tensioned skewer to even have a chance at wheel ejection.

Through axles will probably dominate disc braked bikes in no time, so chances of this type of ejection will drop from very slim to extremely slim.
Old 09-17-15, 02:17 PM
njkayaker

If they were studying wheels with standard dropouts and quick release skewers then maybe. There are cases where disc brakes have pulled wheels out of dropouts, I know one case went to court. The disc pulls the wheel in the direction of the open fork ends with a lot of force.
Yes, it's (likely) this BQ is referring to with "wheel ejection".

I don't see how thru-axles would be a problem.
I don't think this is standard/universal yet. If it isn't, this could be part of why it's being characterized as "immature technology".
Old 09-17-15, 03:24 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Yes, it's (likely) this BQ is referring to with "wheel ejection".

I don't think this is standard/universal yet. If it isn't, this could be part of why it's being characterized as "immature technology".
The MTB community has basically standardized on a 15mm thru axle (20mm for downhill bikes). The exact threading mechanism, etc is left to the fork manufacturer, but the hubs are all designed to accept a 15mm axle, so your wheels work with any fork.

As for over-heating brakes, this isn't really a new issue. People over-heat rims and pop tires on a regular basis. I'd rather have the brakes start to fade and gradually degrade compared with a catastrophic front tire blow-out, due to the tire/tube over-heating.

I do think forks will ultimately need to support 180mm discs, especially for larger rides.
Old 09-17-15, 05:32 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Sounds like Tejon Pass... He should have shifted down to third to let the engine do the work.

Seriously, disk brakes for road bikes don't seem big enough. They ought to be bigger than the ones for MTB's because the speeds are higher, especially on descents. But the market wants them to look more delicate because they're for road and not MTB.
not the first documented time the r785 have failed

Shimano R785 road hydraulic disc caliper failure - BikeRadar

" the rear Shimano R785 hydraulic brake failed on the road bike I was riding as I was descending from 12,000ft to 9,000ft on a -5% paved road in traffic. ....
The rear brake lever felt mushy for a minute or two, then lost all power. Oil had leaked out of the caliper"
Old 09-17-15, 05:36 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by gsa103
The MTB community has basically standardized on a 15mm thru axle (20mm for downhill bikes). The exact threading mechanism, etc is left to the fork manufacturer, but the hubs are all designed to accept a 15mm axle, so your wheels work with any fork.

As for over-heating brakes, this isn't really a new issue. People over-heat rims and pop tires on a regular basis. I'd rather have the brakes start to fade and gradually degrade compared with a catastrophic front tire blow-out, due to the tire/tube over-heating.

I do think forks will ultimately need to support 180mm discs, especially for larger rides.
Unfortunately you still have to go pretty high up the hierarchy to get 15mm TA. At Specialized, for instance, it looks like you have to drop over $3000 to get a fork with through axle.
Old 09-17-15, 05:45 PM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bandera

BQ #53 Pg.40
lmfao...Irrefutable proof that the fools at BQ know neither how to adjust or employ discs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.