Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My head's too big

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-24, 12:23 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2080 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
That is an article about motorcycle helmets. I know from motorcycle helmets. They don't have squat in the way of fit adjustments which is why you have to be so anal about your anatomy.
OK, so do you agree that heads have different shapes, not just different sizes.

A MIPS helmet has pads that you can add/remove. It has a BOA cinch that adjusts from as little as 54cm to over 60cm! You can fit an oval head by padding the sides, and you can fit a round head by padding the front/rear of the shell.
Yes, one can size up and pad the helmet to conform to one's head shape. But that is not an option when one needs the maximum size offered. Also, it is more comfortable and safer to wear a smaller helmet that fits well (by matching the shape of one's head) rather than a larger one that is padded to conform to one's head.

But of course there are oval and other shape shell helmets for individual heads on the market. Market is what we do best. It makes billions of dollars for those willing to exploit that sense of being one in a million that pervades most of us.
Offering some helmets for the two less prevalent head shapes (i.e., round oval and long oval) is hardly a marketing gimmick.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 05-03-24 at 12:29 AM.