Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

the prob with being 50+

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

the prob with being 50+

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-06, 11:53 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 2,252 Times in 990 Posts
Originally Posted by BubbaDog
...Head over to Road Cycling, they're swarming over there....B'Dog
Thanks! But I'll stay put! They'd eat me alive for riding a '66 Collegiate.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 10-05-06, 11:58 AM
showme
I may already be a weiner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No bike shoes, no bike jersey, no bike pants, no heart monitor. I do have an 'el cheapo' cyclometer and lights...not sure why though. I might be interested in a 'dork disc' if I knew what it was...would it make me look 'OCP' ?... don't know what that is either.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(cut and pasted from previous post)
The Obsessive Compulsive Poseur is part of a group of individuals who actually give a crap what other people think, and they firmly believe that said people actually give a crap about what they look like. They have an insatiable need to "look the part", even if they don't come close to pulling it off in a believable fashion.

You can generally easily spot an Obsessive Compulsive Poseur in one of many ways; if everything...and I mean everything....matches, they are what some of us would consider to be a Type A Poseur. Everything has to be perfect, dammit; nothing less will do. This includes color-coordinating the bike, components, bike kit, sunglasses, shoes, helmet, watch, and riding partners. Look for start/stop points at major points of interest, such as Starbucks.

There are the Type B Poseurs who, from time to time, may decide that they're a bit too tired to really put the effort in to coordinate the outfit for the day, and really get back to basics of cycling and just go ride anyway without putting on a total fashion show. Granted, if caught, they will downplay the travesty as much as possible; "I'm on a recovery ride".....or "my team kit is in the wash"....or "I'm in-between outfits". In general, while they may hold all of the qualities of a full-on OCP'er, they aren't quite dedicated enough to pull it off 24x7.

If you own 8 helmets, and all are in fine working condition, you might be an OCP'er

If you "have to have" Record or Dura Ace because it's expensive and "looks cool", you might be an OCP'er

If you're a complete label *****, you might be an OCP'er

If you really believe that the person across from you at the light thinks you look fuggin' awesome in your kit and that your bike is the greatest thing since sliced bread, you might be an OCP'er

If your water bottle cages cost more than your monthly car insurance premium, you might be an OCP'er

If your primary concern is watching your wardrobe versus watching your training chart, you might be an OCP'er

If you arrive at your club ride in a new piece of kit and proudly show it off like a parent with a newborn baby, you might be an OCP'er

If you ride 50 miles a week and own $10,000 in bikes and gear, you might be an OCP'er

If you can successfully negotiate slippery floors in Starbucks and actually pronounce the names of their coffee, you might be an OCP'er. As well as a metro.

If you'd rather walk 5 miles with a flat tire than carry a seatpack because they "look stupid", you might be an OCP'er

If you think that Brand X wheels suck because they weigh 27 grams more than Brand Y wheels, you might be an OCP'er

If you can't bear the thought of having a "mainstream" bike merely for the fact that everyone else has one, and you need to be different, you might be an OCP'er

If you think that valvestem caps are extremely uncool, in addition to most likely being mildly ********, you just might be an OCP'er

If you feel the need to look down on other peoples' bike choices because your bike is vastly superior and it makes you feel good about yourself, you just might be an OCP'er

If you believe that your 15 pound bike....obviously not weighed with waterbottles to "make it lighter"....will climb much faster than your training partners' 17 pound behemoth, you just might be an OCP'er
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and a dork disc would be....anyone? anyone???
Old 10-05-06, 12:19 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
dork disc: plastic or metal disk between the rear gear cluster and the spokes.

So the young guns I work with like to blame me (my generation, the boomers) for ruining things for everybody else. Especially when I reminisce about a campus party we once threw that consumed a then record 28 kegs at a school that no longer allows any form of alcohol on campus. Or about sitting in the bleachers at Wrigley Field with joints floating freely by in all directions, etc..

I like the answer given (don't remember who) about whether you'd like to go back to your 20's again. It was, "Only if I could take my 53 yr old brain with me!"
Old 10-05-06, 12:35 PM
showme
I may already be a weiner

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks dbg... I thought for sure a dork disc was a 'big butt' seat...like what you would find on a farm tractor.

"Or about sitting in the bleachers at Wrigley Field with joints floating freely by in all directions, etc.. "
ah ...yes the good ol' days...too bad, so sad.
showme
Old 10-05-06, 01:15 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 2,252 Times in 990 Posts
Originally Posted by BubbaDog
Obsessive Compulsive Poseur....B'Dog
My next question was going to be, "What's a Poseur?" Very nicely answered showme! It's rather satisfying to know I am not one.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com