Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New to drop handlebars: does the hand fatigue get better with time?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New to drop handlebars: does the hand fatigue get better with time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-15, 06:08 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
OP, do you wear gloves or ride bare handed? Are your hands sore, or numb? No gloves and sore would suggest more time and acclimation, or getting gloves. Numb for me is a harder fix, and I usually solve by paying attention to my wrist angle. In your case, that is probably bar rotation.

Also, it may sound simplistic, but I find the best cure for hand soreness or numbness is to pedal harder. More weight on the pedals means less on the saddle and bars.
Old 04-06-15, 06:41 PM
willydstyle

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
OP, do you wear gloves or ride bare handed? Are your hands sore, or numb? No gloves and sore would suggest more time and acclimation, or getting gloves. Numb for me is a harder fix, and I usually solve by paying attention to my wrist angle. In your case, that is probably bar rotation.

Also, it may sound simplistic, but I find the best cure for hand soreness or numbness is to pedal harder. More weight on the pedals means less on the saddle and bars.
No gloves, and soreness rather than numbness.

I've noticed the same thing, when I'm really pushing myself in go-fast mode the whole bike is just more comfortable.
Old 04-06-15, 08:34 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
I've only been at this seriously for a bit more than 18 months (at 64) and though I spend most of my time on the hoods or the corners had the same hand issues. One thing I don't think anyone has mentioned is core strength. I didn't think my hands would ever get to where they weren't hurting at some point on a long ride until I started doing some crunches and core focused weight work.

Do some core conditioning exercises so that your core is stable enough to the load off your hands. That doesn't mean you don't have a fitting issue, but even a perfect fit won't compensate for a weak core. Road bike posture isn't "normal" it takes some training and time for your core musculature to adapt.

so short answer, yes it does get better with time, but you can speed the process up with some crunches and weight work.

Last edited by TGT1; 04-06-15 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-06-15, 11:43 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
If you have not been riding with the road bars for very long, you might find that the more you do it, the more flexible you feel in your torso which will allow you to maintain the riding position with less weight on your hands. That's what is suggested above -- you really don't put much weight on your hands when riding if you are doing it "right". Same with the saddle, imo. Most of the weight is actually borne by your legs whether you are pedaling hard, soft, or coasting. The saddle just supplies a little support and keeps your legs pointed in the right direction. That's the way it is for me, anyway. So, try to be lighter in the saddle and lighter on the bars and stronger on your legs, where the real work is done. Again, that's just my opinion and what works for me.

As mentioned, the relationship between the saddle and bars on your bike doesn't appear out of whack: bars at the level of the seat or maybe slightly below. With that amount of seat post showing, if you are riding without cramping your legs or rocking from side to side to reach max extension, the bike should be adjustable to your size. Again, that's my opinion and observation.

If you think that you aren't going to be able to get used to things the way they are -- you really shouldn't have discomfort or dis-function down below and you shouldn't have hand/arm/shoulder pain or numbness -- you might consider a shorter stem extension to bring the bars closer to the saddle. That may lessen your tendency (I'm assuming again) to put too much weight on the bars, which may be the source of your hand pain. Bringing the bars, or your hand position, closer to the saddle will allow a slightly more upright position in your lower torso which may make things there easier to adjust to (everything is inter-related). You might consider what I call a geezer stem. Nitto makes very nicely manufactured stems in a Cinelli 1A style which have medium and long extensions above the headset. They look great and will allow an even more upright riding style. A wide range of horizontal extensions is offered. I have one of these geezer stems on one of my bikes and I like it a lot. Only problem is that random strangers stop you and tell you that your stem is way too high and it's dangerous. Of course, it's not, because it's long and strong.

Nitto also makes a couple bar styles that are different from the normal. The Nitto Noodle bar has a bend which brings the horizontal section of the bars (and, I think, the drops) back a bit. It's like taking about 10 mm off the horizontal extension of the stem. The Nitto Rando flares the bars upwards a bit and flares the drops outwards. I think the net result for the drops is that they're a bit flared but not as deep as normal. It's like adding a cm or so to the stem height. I have a Nitto geezer stem coupled with noodle bars on one bike and it is easier for me to keep weight off the bars, off the saddle, and on the legs. It's almost like being 50 again. There are other features of these Nitto bars' shapes that are interesting -- just google and snoop around. Lots of free opinions and free advice.
Old 04-07-15, 01:30 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Do you have a relationship with a local bike club with an experienced coach? It really does sound like the problem is associated with how you are sitting on the bike. I ride with a very low position, I ride a H1 Madone with no spacers underneath the stem. I have very good flexibility and can ride low positions all day long. The biggest problem with being in the drops is that your vision isn't as good as when on the top of the bars; It is much easier to see when riding on the hoods..
Old 04-07-15, 01:32 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Also, try doing sit ups and other things to improve core strength. A strong core takes weight off the hands.
Old 04-07-15, 09:47 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
OK, I looked at your bar position and here's a suggestion which may help. You have the bottoms horizontal which is sort of textbook, but not always best. Rotate the bar so the lower section is tilted, either pointing toward the rear axle, or even some more so the top behind the levers and the bottom are at similar angles. Feel free to experiment here, with the object being making the top "horizontal" section more comfortable. Tilting the bottom also makes it more square to your arm reliving the bend at your wrist which helps there too.

Once you've dialed in the handle bar angle, move the levers around to best split the difference between use of the hoods and brake levers from over the top and reaching them from in the drops.

BTW- unless you have unusually wide hands, the non-aero levers shouldn't be a factor wither way in terms of comfort, since you shouldn't be that far forward on the lever body.
This. With the bars rotated, and the hoods slid down, it ends up creating a hand position that comes straight out from the top of the bars that you will likely find more comfortable.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-07-15, 10:32 AM
SlowAndSlower

Bikes: 2010 Scattante CFR, Soma Stanyan, Bruce Gordon R&R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow what a nice old Fuji America, an older one at that. Looks all original too. I had one I bought new circa 1980 and another much later. And I still have one that I had some frame work done including S&S couplings.

Before doing anything to the bike checkout what its worth on the Classics and Vintage forum. You may want to sell it or trade it for a newer set up as what you have looks pretty pristine to me. In its day it was one fine touring machine.
Old 04-07-15, 03:34 PM
willydstyle

Originally Posted by SlowAndSlower
Wow what a nice old Fuji America, an older one at that. Looks all original too. I had one I bought new circa 1980 and another much later. And I still have one that I had some frame work done including S&S couplings.

Before doing anything to the bike checkout what its worth on the Classics and Vintage forum. You may want to sell it or trade it for a newer set up as what you have looks pretty pristine to me. In its day it was one fine touring machine.
It's very new to me, but there are some paint and rust issues that don't show up in the photos. It's still a great bike, and there's no way i'm selling it, but the original Cyclone FD was replaced with a Deore XT some time during its life. I've still only put maybe 100 miles on her, which is why I was curious, once the 100 turns into 1000 are these "growing pains" going to be gone, or is there something I'm doing drastically wrong fit-wise.
Old 04-07-15, 04:04 PM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
This. With the bars rotated, and the hoods slid down, it ends up creating a hand position that comes straight out from the top of the bars that you will likely find more comfortable.
+1

On my gravel bike I have barcons and brake levers on a handlebar like yours where the ramps and drops are not parallel. I found that with the drops level, the angles were wrong for my hands in every position. In the drops my wrists were bent just enough to put extra pressure on the base of the palm. On the hoods, the bar angle had me sliding forward so all the weight was on the web of my thumb. On the ramps, I had to grip so hard to keep from sliding forward onto the hoods that my hands fatigued quickly. Rotating the bars up so the ramps are just a few degrees from level and the drops point at the rear axle made a world of difference.
Old 04-07-15, 04:07 PM
willydstyle

Originally Posted by Kopsis
+1

On my gravel bike I have barcons and brake levers on a handlebar like yours where the ramps and drops are not parallel. I found that with the drops level, the angles were wrong for my hands in every position. In the drops my wrists were bent just enough to put extra pressure on the base of the palm. On the hoods, the bar angle had me sliding forward so all the weight was on the web of my thumb. On the ramps, I had to grip so hard to keep from sliding forward onto the hoods that my hands fatigued quickly. Rotating the bars up so the ramps are just a few degrees from level and the drops point at the rear axle made a world of difference.
I'll definitely try this.
Old 04-07-15, 04:20 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
OP, I find pointing to the rear axle, especially on larger old bikes (which are built short in length and tall in height), is too much, so I tend to point the drops at the rear brake. A cheap set of gloves goes along way, and Nashbar sells cycling gloves for around $7, IIRC. Personally, I also think modern brake levers are far more comfortable to big hands, and aren't expensive ($20-30). They will mean retaping the bars, but that is very straight forward, and it let's you position things the way you want.

As I said earlier, pay attention to kinks in your wrists, and don't lock your elbows.
Old 04-07-15, 09:20 PM
willydstyle

OP, I find pointing to the rear axle, especially on larger old bikes (which are built short in length and tall in height), is too much, so I tend to point the drops at the rear brake. A cheap set of gloves goes along way, and Nashbar sells cycling gloves for around $7, IIRC. Personally, I also think modern brake levers are far more comfortable to big hands, and aren't expensive ($20-30). They will mean retaping the bars, but that is very straight forward, and it let's you position things the way you want.

As I said earlier, pay attention to kinks in your wrists, and don't lock your elbows.
I tried it with the bars pointing at the axle earlier, and it was indeed too steep, giving me a definite bend in my wrist. I switched it to pointing at the rear brakes, but it started raining and I don't have fenders. I can't wait to get out on a proper ride and try out some of the advice from this thread.
Old 04-20-15, 01:52 PM
willydstyle

OK, update for everyone who gave me advice/input: what worked was moving the seat *forward* because it allowed me to raise the saddle height and make it more level while maintaining soft tissue comfort.
Old 04-20-15, 02:43 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markwebb
That bike looks awesome btw!!!!

So if you're 6' and a 58" frame than the size is relatively ok. Lots of subtle and nuance to get bike to feel just right. You may still be stretched out too much and thus putting more pressure on hands/leaning on your hands too much. Try moving seat forward. If it's as far forward as possible, then a shorter stem maybe.
I thought the seat position (fore/aft) should be mostly based on your knee position over the pedal spindle.

From Sheldon Brown (and yes, I know that this is one opinion of many on bike fit):

It is generally considered a Bad Idea to tinker with saddle position to adjust the reach to the handlebars; it is better to adjust this by replacing the handlebar stem with one with a different reach, or by buying a bicycle with a different length top tube.

So, I agree with the posters that mention tinkering with the stem and/or handlebars.

GH
Old 04-20-15, 02:52 PM
SevenTwentyNine

Bikes: Wheelbarrow

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by willydstyle
I just recently switched from a Trek 7200 to a road bike with drop bars. I have finally figured out a saddle and saddle position that supports my sit bones and doesn't crush my taint, but on rides longer than 25ish minutes my hands start to get quite sore.

I mostly ride in the drops, but compared to a lot of the bikes I see out there I still have a pretty relaxed cockpit. Does this hand soreness go away with practice?

Here's a pic of my current set up for reference. Right now the saddle angle is a bit forward, but that seems to be necessary to prevent soft tissue distress.

Ease up on the force of your grip - you're probably holding on much tighter than you need to. Relax and loosen your shoulders then let this translate into also loosening up your arms etc. Be loose and fluid.
Old 04-20-15, 03:31 PM
Deontologist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Isn't that a quill stem?

No, modern road bike stems can also be flipped.
Old 04-20-15, 03:59 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Deontologist
No, modern road bike stems can also be flipped.
Duh: You're replying to post from 2 weeks ago.

Double-duh: He means the OP's bike has a quill stem, which can't be flipped.

FFS!
Old 04-20-15, 03:59 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by willydstyle
OK, update for everyone who gave me advice/input: what worked was moving the seat *forward* because it allowed me to raise the saddle height and make it more level while maintaining soft tissue comfort.
Yay! Now all you need to do is ride more.