Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano RD Cable Keeps Fraying Inside Shifter

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimano RD Cable Keeps Fraying Inside Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-22, 03:10 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3260 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,532 Posts
What happens to the shifter cable/housing when the brake lever is squeezed? Do they move fore/aft with that action? Are they stationary? Does that cause additional stress for the cable?
Old 08-01-22, 03:15 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
What happens to the shifter cable/housing when the brake lever is squeezed? Do they move fore/aft with that action? Are they stationary? Does that cause additional stress for the cable?
Obviously nothing or you'd end up w/ your derailleur shifting every time you braked.The brake lever pivots separately from the shifter.
Old 08-02-22, 09:43 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Croll '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
Because changing a $4.00 cable once year is such a huge ordeal, right?

Originally Posted by datlas
I honestly would not mind changing it once a year. I am chewing through 3/year which I think is a bit much. I read on another forum that there was a Shimano Service Bulletin that said change out cables every 1000 miles. That would solve my problem but NFW I am going to change a cable out every 6 weeks.
Yeah, that change-out is way too frequent. Hopefully you eliminated all other culprits.
Mine works out to about a once-per-year chore. It's far less about the cost than the time.
Although, come to think of it, I replace my bar tape every other time. That stuff is expensive.
Cxwretch: please tell me where to find the $4 high-quality cables.
Imagine you get for dealer cost, so send me a batch and I will repay you.
Old 08-02-22, 01:31 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
Because changing a $4.00 cable once year is such a huge ordeal, right?

Yeah, that change-out is way too frequent. Hopefully you eliminated all other culprits.
Mine works out to about a once-per-year chore. It's far less about the cost than the time.
Although, come to think of it, I replace my bar tape every other time. That stuff is expensive.
Cxwretch: please tell me where to find the $4 high-quality cables.
Imagine you get for dealer cost, so send me a batch and I will repay you.
After this you'll get nothing from me.
Old 08-02-22, 02:21 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Whoops. Typo. haha Well, give me some credit for not calling them brifters.
I hate when people call 'em that, too.
Seriously...where's these four buck cables you speak about?
Old 08-02-22, 02:27 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 135 Posts
No soup for you!
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 08-02-22, 03:54 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 3,940 Times in 2,347 Posts
QBP lists Jagwire Sport SS shift cables (CA4444) for less than $4 dealer cost, these would typically retail for $5-$10 shop dependent. I suspect cxwrench doesn't use coated cables, as I don't too. Andy
Old 08-02-22, 04:19 PM
cxwrench

In that case we buy cables from QBP and our cost for SRAM is less than a buck when we buy a box. Shimano is a $1.50 so we sell both for $4.00/ea retail. Standard stainless steel cables. We sell Optislick for $8.00/ea. And this is in Marin County, so our labor prices are pretty high but we don't gouge people for product.
Old 08-02-22, 05:30 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

In that case we buy cables from QBP and our cost for SRAM is less than a buck when we buy a box. Shimano is a $1.50 so we sell both for $4.00/ea retail. Standard stainless steel cables. We sell Optislick for $8.00/ea. And this is in Marin County, so our labor prices are pretty high but we don't gouge people for product.
Damn. My local shop sure sticks it to me. Part of our discrepancy here is that I always buy in pairs.
Still, that's like $18 a pair for regular Shimano, non-optislik. (Those never work right for me.)
Oh well....part of the price to pay to patronize the LBS. Along with CO2's, tubes, lubes, and other smalls. lol

Last edited by roadcrankr; 08-02-22 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-02-22, 06:17 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,446 Times in 1,957 Posts
The Experimental Aircraft people have a rule-of-thumb that in order to prevent eventual fraying of a control cable, any pulley/guide/direction change on a cable should have a radius at least 50 times greater than the diameter of the cable. I can't see that fitting inside a modern shift lever, and I suspect that's why Shimano makes those routine replacement recommendations. At least, failure of a shift cable on a bicycle isn't likely to be as catastrophic as a control cable failure on an airplane.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 08-02-22, 08:42 PM
cxwrench

Damn. My local shop sure sticks it to me. Part of our discrepancy here is that I always buy in pairs.
Still, that's like $18 a pair for regular Shimano, non-optislik. (Those never work right for me.)
Oh well....part of the price to pay to patronize the LBS. Along with CO2's, tubes, lubes, and other smalls. lol
They charge $9.00 each for standard Shimano Stainless cables?!? Are they pulling them out of a file box or are you buying individually packaged cables? Even then they shouldn't be that expensive. If your shop won't sell them for a reasonable price screw em and get them online.
Old 11-05-22, 01:28 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 1,093 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I am trying out these "Alligator- Superior Shine Slick Stainless" cables. Alligator Shift or Brake Cable Superior Shine Slick Stainless fit Shimano Sram | eBay They have thinner but more strands to fit Shimano and Jagwire housing and I'm hoping this may help them last longer. I only have about 2,500 miles on them now for my 6600 shifters and usually get 4-6K miles from the S or J brands so the jury is still out. Might be worth a try with yours. Shop around as prices have gone up a bit from this seller.
Update: Well, my Alligator cable started fraying at the shifter not long after this so roughly about 2/3 the mileage of the S or J brand cables. I've had the same bike, groupset, basically everything that isn't a wear item and those were replaced with like parts and also do the same roads in the same conditions all for the last 13 years so a pretty consistent conditions for testing cables. I had one more of these cables so will report back on that one when it wears out in case the first was a fluke. Can't recommend these after this experience.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 11-05-22 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-05-22, 01:53 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5899 Post(s)
Liked 2,765 Times in 1,544 Posts
You may get varying life from various cables, but ALL cables will fray and break there because the problem is inherent in the design.

If you've ever bent a paper clip back and forth until it breaks you're familiar with the issue. As the cable winds onto and off the lever's curve, it's being bent and straightened. Eventually it will "work harden" and become brittle, after which strands will break over time. Folks who shift often between the same few gears are bending the cable in the same place and will see lower life than those who shift less often, or use a greater range of gears, but ALL cables will break this way over time.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-05-22, 03:52 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3596 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,824 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
ALL cables will break this way over time.
Maybe so, but it’ll be a cold day in Hell before that happens with my downtube shifters.

Picked up some of the Alligator cables after reading about them here. They appear to be very high quality and super slick.
Old 11-05-22, 04:46 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5899 Post(s)
Liked 2,765 Times in 1,544 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Maybe so, but it’ll be a cold day in Hell before that happens with my downtube shifters.

Possibly, or at least a long time from now. But things have changed significantly between wen your levers were made and now. First of all, the makers of D/T levers weren't working with physical space constraints, and so had the freedom to use a larger radius on the pulley section. We also have to consider how modern index systems changed how we ride. BITD I was riding 10s (5x2) and the gear intervals were larger than they are today, that combined with friction shifting meant I would settle into a gear and not shift until I needed to. Nowadays with 10s or more and the convenience of in the lever index shifting, I shift all the time, constantly fine tuning my gear choice. I'd venture that modern riders are shifting at least 3x more often than before index.

Since cable life relates to shift count and not miles, that means we can expect less than 1/3rd the cable life if all other things remain equal. Factor the smaller pulley radius, and nobody should be surprised by short cable life.

FWIW, back in the bronze age I was using Campy bar cons with 7x7 wire rope cables. Riding 15k+ miles per year, I'd replace the cables every 2 years as preventative maintenance. No idea how long they might have lasted otherwise.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-05-22, 05:19 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts

Picked up some of the Alligator cables after reading about them here. They appear to be very high quality and super slick.
Super slick won't make Shimano shifters chew cables less and they won't last any longer. The Alligator 31 cables may last longer because they have a more strands of thinner wires which flex easier. The theory is that they will take longer to fatigue because they are more flexible.

To be clear, I have had the same problem with Shimano shifters eating cables. Apparently the problem started in the 5700/6700/7900 generation when they started the under bar tape routing and the shifter wraps the cable very tightly inside the shifter. My 6800 road bike has internally routed cables which are a royal PITA to change. I was changing the rear shifter cable every 1500-2000 miles and even had one that only lasted for 800 miles. Finally at 10K miles, the rear shifter broke. I decided to switch to SRAM Force 22 shifters and derailleurs. The worst thing about SRAM is that the FD is tricky to set up correctly. Once I figured that out, it has shifted flawlessly.
Old 11-05-22, 06:32 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Good timing on this thread. I replaced my shabby bar tape and figured it a good time to replace the rear shifter cable.
DA 9000-series. 3k miles and the cable still looked fine. Swapped it out, nevertheless.
When those suckers go, they seem to deteriorate quickly. And usually around the 3k mark for me.
Oh, and for the first time ever for any generation DA STI, I got the cable perfectly set, without the need for adjustment!
No doubt, some of you hotshot wrenches routinely nail it.
Old 11-05-22, 07:02 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

I've had individual strands break on downtube shift levers, but not the whole cable. Possibly because the broken strands prick my fingers when I shift gears, alerting me to the problem before complete failure occurs.
Old 11-05-22, 07:08 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by Lombard
Super slick won't make Shimano shifters chew cables less and they won't last any longer.
I suspect it may actually shorten cable life, as the slick cables are die-drawn after winding to create a smooth surface for the coating. This work-hardens the strands before the cables are even installed and suffer the useage work hardening @FBinNY notes in message #38, above.
Old 11-05-22, 07:36 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Good timing on this thread. I replaced my shabby bar tape and figured it a good time to replace the rear shifter cable.
DA 9000-series. 3k miles and the cable still looked fine. Swapped it out, nevertheless.
When those suckers go, they seem to deteriorate quickly.
I usually get a one ride warning. The first thing that happens is that shifting suffers as strands break and you can't shift into the largest cog. No matter how you try and adjust the cable, you can't get it to play nice. At this point, time to turn around and head back to the start site unless the ride is super flat. I have always managed to nurse the bike back home without losing all shifting.
Old 11-05-22, 09:05 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 457 Posts
I suspect it may actually shorten cable life, as the slick cables are die-drawn after winding to create a smooth surface for the coating. This work-hardens the strands before the cables are even installed and suffer the useage work hardening @FBinNY notes in message #38, above.

It's the only thing that makes any sense.

Last edited by Schweinhund; 11-05-22 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-08-22, 11:51 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22690 Post(s)
Liked 9,036 Times in 4,203 Posts
I usually get a one ride warning. The first thing that happens is that shifting suffers as strands break and you can't shift into the largest cog. No matter how you try and adjust the cable, you can't get it to play nice. At this point, time to turn around and head back to the start site unless the ride is super flat. I have always managed to nurse the bike back home without losing all shifting.
The first sign I usually get is a little finicky going into the smallest 2 or 3 cogs. I believe this is due to the burr-like nature of the frayed cable which increases resistance. That seems to be the first clue. The inability to go to the largest cog usually happens JUST BEFORE the break.
Old 11-08-22, 12:09 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7084 Post(s)
Liked 11,189 Times in 4,782 Posts
When mine fails, it's usually on a loop ride and when I'm furthest from home. So I've ridden back a few times with just two gears: 50-11 and 34-11. Good times in a very hilly area.
Old 11-08-22, 12:42 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Quoted: 2039 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,062 Posts
On my bike, I have to remove the BB cable guide from the BB shell in order to thread a replacement RD shift cable through the BB cable guide. In order to remove the BB cable guide, I have to disconnect both shifter cables. Which means that I might as well replace both shift cables at the same time, every 18 months or so.
Old 11-08-22, 01:22 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by datlas
The first sign I usually get is a little finicky going into the smallest 2 or 3 cogs. I believe this is due to the burr-like nature of the frayed cable which increases resistance. That seems to be the first clue. The inability to go to the largest cog usually happens JUST BEFORE the break.
I think is has more to do with when strands start breaking, the cable becomes effectively longer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.