Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

No Thank You, or Waving Me Into the Grave

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

No Thank You, or Waving Me Into the Grave

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-09, 02:48 PM
Exit.
No lugs? No hugs.

Bikes: '85 Miyata 310, '06 GT Performer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 on jogging left and passing on that side when you see a right blinker come on.
Old 06-18-09, 03:03 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 4308 Post(s)
Liked 1,385 Times in 965 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
this seems to happen a lot in Pennsylvania. My wife introduced me to the practice when she stopped in the middle of a high speed 2 lane road to let someone turn left. I thought I was going to die. Recently I saw a news report of a woman that was charged for improper yielding, same sort of thing. It had caused an accident.
A major point of the "right of way" rules is to provide standard ways of behaving. It can be unexpected and confusing to yield.
Old 06-18-09, 03:15 PM
stark23x
BikeNewbie

Bikes: 2009 Giant Defy 3, 1983 Trek 850, 2008 Schwinn Sidewinder

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
Some cyclists wave at motorists as they blow through the stop.

Seriously, though, this always works for me at stop signs to get the point across to waving drivers: ride in a small tight circle in your lane. Drivers get the hint quickly.
Se this is why I love the internet; I thought I was the only one who did that. I've rejected about a dozen wave-aheads this month by doing exactly that.

*I* will decide when I go forward crossing into a busy street. And it's when there are absolutely no giant heavy metal torpedos anywhere near me. I appreciate the gesture, driver, but no thank you.
Old 06-18-09, 03:20 PM
aley
Goathead Magnet

Bikes: Surly LHT, Cannondale Caffeine F3

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by trekker pete
I understand what you are saying, but, do you really believe that? There are tons of clueless drivers, but, I doubt there are any that are pathologically evil. I can't imagine that anyone out there actually looks forward to a chance to run down a biker. Not saying they'd feel particularly awful about it. Just that they won't be high fiving their buds over a beer later talking about how they scored a cyclist hit.
I worry that there are indeed people out there like that, but I suspect that the vast majority of those who stop inappropriately to wave a cyclist through an intersection are just clueless. They think they're doing us a favor, and don't take the time to assess the situation and realize that they're not.

I've seen too many accident reports where the cyclist was intentionally hit to believe that there aren't psychopaths out there behind the wheel. Granted, most of the stories along those lines had to do with road rage, but it still leaves me wondering.
Old 06-18-09, 03:59 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Happens to me once in a while. I don't ever take the offer, I don't want to get them in the habit of doing that. I'll dismount my bike if I have to.
Old 06-18-09, 05:25 PM
gremlin76

Bikes: recumbent, mtb, commuter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i've had people on my left try to wave me across the road when there is traffic coming from the right. yah, not going to try that and hope the other cars stop too.

once when driving my car, an oncoming car stopped and waved out a car on my right side with a stop sign, which then drove into the side of my car and spun me around. the waver took off, and the person who hit me said she was waved out. well, i guess it wasn't her fault then that i had the right of way and continued through the intersection. my bad.

whether on bike or in a car and somebody stops and gives me the go wave, and i refuse, why do they always get mad at me? traffic engineers go to college for lots of years and get paid tons of money to figure out the best way to keep traffic flowing, but jimmy/jenny burger flipper thinks they have a better idea?
Old 06-18-09, 05:45 PM
aMull

Bikes: Leader 735TR 09 58cm 46/17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its why you don't stop at stop signs. Waste of your time and energy.
Old 06-18-09, 09:25 PM
HAL 8000
mmm new bike smell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+2 to caloso, sort of.
Probably the most angry I've ever gotten while riding:
MUP I ride to work parallels a residential street where another side street tees into it. There is a stop sign for the MUP where it crosses the "tee" street. I stop, woman with car-full of kids stops and waves, I wave back (foot already on the ground). Meanwhile, cars are turning from the "parallel " street and more are coming up behind her. Put my other foot down and point her on with a little more oomph. She starts waving her fists and screaming (with her windows UP), takes off, and as she's driving by, the two 5-ish year old's in the back seat are fist-shaking and yelling at me and the 12-ish year old boy in the front FLIPS ME THE BIRD.
Some people's kids...
Old 06-18-09, 09:38 PM
aley
Goathead Magnet

Bikes: Surly LHT, Cannondale Caffeine F3

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HAL 8000
She starts waving her fists and screaming (with her windows UP), takes off, and as she's driving by, the two 5-ish year old's in the back seat are fist-shaking and yelling at me and the 12-ish year old boy in the front FLIPS ME THE BIRD.
Ah, I see you've met my ex-wife.
Old 06-19-09, 06:55 AM
JeffC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had something kind of like that happen to me recently. There are some streets that many bikers use as a short cut connecting two parts of the W&OD Trail in Arlington. There is a 4 way Stop at 19th and Van Buren Streets. I'm headed up a slight hill east bound on Van Buren and to my left a car gets to the Stop sign just before I do. So I stop, put my right foot down, and wait while the driver waits for me to go and waves for me to go and I wave back.

Meanwhile, unbeknownst to me, another biker behind me comes flying up and runs the stop sign behind me. Turns out the car saw the other biker but not me. Sometimes, I can only shake my head and wonder.
Old 06-19-09, 07:26 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aley
Ah, I see you've met my ex-wife.
Now look what you've done. Do you know how hard it is to get coffee out of a keyboard?
Old 06-19-09, 07:41 AM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It happens rarely. I might take it if there's only one car (the waver), never if there are more.
Old 06-19-09, 07:57 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6255 Post(s)
Liked 4,280 Times in 2,398 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
I'd have and have many times passed on left
That's the way I would have handled this situation too. If the oncoming lane is clear, you can pass right turning cars on the left. Do it all the time in my vehicle...both 2 wheel and 4 wheel ones
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-19-09, 08:20 AM
MaroSteve
Ciao!

Bikes: legnanoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had that happen to me on base, with a bus though.. by an italian.. I think he was joking.. we were cruising @ 20mph and I was staying where I could see him in the drivers mirror.. So I actually did it and passed.. shake n bake, it works!!!

So moral, I would have done it, just be safe.. to me thats a reason not to unclip to sit there and wait
Old 06-19-09, 08:32 AM
Mendel

Bikes: Specialized Allez (2007); Fuji Finest (2002); Trek 1100 (1994); Giant Iguana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happens to me too. With the potential right hook scenario I will sometimes try to pass on the car on the left. At stop signs and the like, I find pointing to the traffic device that I'm obeying helps them figure out whats going on.
Old 06-20-09, 12:19 AM
Kimmitt 

Bikes: RadRunner Plus, Kona Dew Deluxe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
People in Hawai'i do this all the time, and it always almost gets somebody killed -- or causes an outright accident. I have no idea why they do this. It's a kind of insanity. Anyways, this is a good reminder to me to not accept waves and make people act sane when they're around me.