Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

New singlespeed townie / relaxed bike for girlfriend

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

New singlespeed townie / relaxed bike for girlfriend

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-14, 01:07 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Those Shimano Nexus hubs are bullet proof. Chro-molly frame is a plus. She'll appreciate the chain guard - no-one likes black marks on their legs and trousers, I've found women to be even less forgiving. Full length mud guards mean you can ride on wet roads without getting muck all over you - I've found that while it's rare I ride in rain, I'm often on a wet road in winter. Fit a carrier and/or basket, maybe reconsider the saddle, sounds perfect.
Old 06-01-14, 02:42 AM
nivv

Bikes: Dolan FXE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
If she rides it and loves it, go for it. I does seem to fill your original brief.

Those bars do look horribly straight but that's the sort of thing that's easily changed. It pays to remember that the American market only has relevance to Americans, for those of us who live elsewhere, the local industry is usually more useful and in your case, Europe is the home of cycling (my benighted country just whimpers and does what the industry dictates ... at inflated prices).
Yeah, that's the thing. She saw it and fell in love with it. I guess that's what you're really looking for in the end. I don't know if the bars are that straight or if it's just the perspective of the image, but as you said, easily changed!

Originally Posted by europa
Those Shimano Nexus hubs are bullet proof. Chro-molly frame is a plus. She'll appreciate the chain guard - no-one likes black marks on their legs and trousers, I've found women to be even less forgiving. Full length mud guards mean you can ride on wet roads without getting muck all over you - I've found that while it's rare I ride in rain, I'm often on a wet road in winter. Fit a carrier and/or basket, maybe reconsider the saddle, sounds perfect.
Yup, all of those things is a plus. It rains here quite a lot in the autumn so mud guards is obligatory almost. I hope the Nexus hub will stand up to the test, I've seen some pretty nasty Nexus hubs in my days. But I doubt that they serviced them as they should've! Seems solid to me. By the way, from the picture, can you tell if the handlebars are soldered to the stem? I guess they're not, because that would be stupid!

Last edited by nivv; 06-01-14 at 03:19 AM.
Old 06-01-14, 03:42 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
It does look odd but I'm sure it can all be changed if needed.
Old 06-01-14, 09:03 AM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
It does look like the handlebar and stem are all one piece. It does look nice, though!

I had never used an IGH before I moved to Sweden, but I'm really starting to like mine! I do have to go about learning to rebuild it sometime soon, though...
Old 06-01-14, 09:34 AM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Have you checked out Skeppshult? I think they make some really good looking stuff. I haven't gotten to ride any of them yet, though. The frames are also made in Sweden, which is cool!