Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bringing your bike inside stores

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bringing your bike inside stores

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-23, 08:04 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
The way I see it the bike is smaller than a stroller for two kids or these things

My local chain supermarket had several of those but got rid of them after a year or so. They still have courtesy electric wheelchairs.

The latest it's-all-about-me thing I see there is the line of cars parked in the fire lane along the front of the store, with the driver waiting behind the wheel with the engine idling while the shopper goes in to shop.

I never see anyone wheeling a bike around the store. But that's a Baltimore city store. Maybe the practice of wheeling bikes in the aisles is a suburban thing, where supermarkets tend to have wider aisles.
Old 12-06-23, 08:19 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
He was profiling the OP.
and that would never happen on here
Likes For choddo:
Old 12-06-23, 08:21 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 340 Posts
No. I take my worst bike and I lock it up outside. Can’t imagine trying to do anything useful in a supermarket while being hamstrung by carting that thing around.
Likes For choddo:
Old 12-06-23, 08:24 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4570 Post(s)
Liked 5,105 Times in 3,150 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
electric wheelchairs.

The latest it's-all-about-me thing I see there is the line of cars parked in the fire lane along the front of the store, with the driver waiting behind the wheel with the engine idling while the shopper goes in to shop.

We get this too and also parking alone in the family spaces specifically reserved for parents with babies and small children. They even make a point of taking up the spaces nearest the store entrance. They have no shame.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-06-23, 08:44 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 400 Posts
If I'm just popping into a shop for some coffee or boba for a couple of minutes I'll do this. The Hiplok is basically a re-usable zip tie with a steel core. It's a simple theft deterrent that fits in my jersey pocket.

Likes For john m flores:
Old 12-06-23, 08:50 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 317 Posts
I do if there is no place to lock it up. I've never had anyone tell me not to. Mostly if I need to pick up something on my way home from work.

Also, in the winter here I suspect that most people question my sanity. Or it's the upper Midwest thing of don't talk to strangers, and I do look a bit strange.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 12-06-23, 08:53 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9660 Post(s)
Liked 6,369 Times in 3,507 Posts
I always take my car to the store. I have yet to be asked to leave it outside.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 12-06-23, 09:52 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2282 Post(s)
Liked 3,504 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
No. I take my worst bike and I lock it up outside. Can’t imagine trying to do anything useful in a supermarket while being hamstrung by carting that thing around.
One of the things that struck me about UK grocery stores, at least when I was living in Cambridge, was how densely packed everything was, with almost no room to maneuver. People were always ramming their shopping 'trollies' into one another. There was clearly no physical possibility of bringing a bike inside.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-06-23, 10:28 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Hey guys, do you bring your bike inside stores when shopping? Do you think this is frowned upon/a dick move? Recently a cop outside of a Mexican market I went into told me to take the bike outside. I used to leave bikes outside usually, but I got a nice one and I don’t want it to get stollen.

posted in road cycling because roadies hate locks
I don't bring my bicycle inside stores unless it's a LBS. I never leave my bike unwatched in fact. If it's an emergency, I ask someone to look after it while I quickly go do whatever I have to do inside.

Regardless if you leave it unlocked at sight or not, I can guarantee you that if someone rushes on your bike then gets on the saddle and start pedaling, you will not be able to catch up that person on foot and especially not with road shoes in your feet.
Old 12-06-23, 10:37 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12902 Post(s)
Liked 7,826 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator

Regardless if you leave it unlocked at sight or not, I can guarantee you that if someone rushes on your bike then gets on the saddle and start pedaling, you will not be able to catch up that person on foot and especially not with road shoes in your feet.
Put in high gear before you stop and they'll never get away!
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 12-06-23, 10:39 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12902 Post(s)
Liked 7,826 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
One of the things that struck me about UK grocery stores, at least when I was living in Cambridge, was how densely packed everything was, with almost no room to maneuver. People were always ramming their shopping 'trollies' into one another. There was clearly no physical possibility of bringing a bike inside.
Narrow aisles in France and Belgium too.

And at Trader Joes here in the USA, I can't imagine rolling a bike in Trader Joe's.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 12-06-23, 10:40 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked 1,405 Times in 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
The bold matches the question I was pondering, coupled with the other thread of his on carrying bags from the handlebars...

Why? Why take a full on, high dollar road machine, essentially a race bike - to the market??? Stopping on a ride to refuel is one thing - but a full on shopping trip?

Get a thrift store Huffy and park it outside.
i’ve done this more than a few times. i enjoyed riding my road bike to work, sometimes taking a longer ride at lunch or after work / on the way home, and sometimes you just need to make a quick stop at trader joe’s or the pharmacy.

not everyone has the space or time for a large fleet, and i’d rather lock my carbon road bike up in front of a busy shop than ride a beater for a climbing ride at lunch.

i would never bring a bike inside a grocery store, small market, etc. there are a few restaurants i know of that mostly do take out and have a little empty space to lean a bike against the wall just inside.
Old 12-06-23, 10:48 AM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by eduskator
I don't bring my bicycle inside stores unless it's a LBS. I never leave my bike unwatched in fact. If it's an emergency, I ask someone to look after it while I quickly go do whatever I have to do inside.

I imagine a bunch of us have evolved quick fixes for slowing potential thieves, such as LesterOfPuppets's trick of leaving the bike in the highest gear. A friend of mine says that when he stops in, e.g., a convenience store, he unships the chain from the chainrings.

My technique is to hook the straps of my helmet around the tire and rim of the front wheel and the down tube. Or just the wheel, but hooking the straps around both the wheel and the down tube might look a little more lock-like to the casual would-be thief.

Last edited by Trakhak; 12-06-23 at 10:52 AM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 12-06-23, 12:46 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 5,725 Times in 2,891 Posts
Do what you like, but bringing a bike into a store has always felt like to me like an affectation of the over-privileged. Like bringing your "emotional support" animal everywhere. I own locks and use them. Not a big deal.
Entitlement, no surprise.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-06-23, 12:55 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22706 Post(s)
Liked 9,066 Times in 4,210 Posts
A Larry thread that has gone two pages without going off the rails?

Inconceivable!
Old 12-06-23, 01:05 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7089 Post(s)
Liked 11,208 Times in 4,785 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I always ask if it’s ok to bring my bike in, and did it just last week at a coffee shop and they were cool with it. I have taken my bike into banks, hardware stores, coffee shops, card/gift stores and was refused at a gas mart. Is it a dick move? If you don’t ask first, then perhaps.
Do what you like, but bringing a bike into a store has always felt like to me like an affectation of the over-privileged. Like bringing your "emotional support" animal everywhere. I own locks and use them. Not a big deal.
If the establishment has not provided a bike rack, and there's not a light post or something to which I can safely lock my bike, I'll just take the bike inside without asking. No one has ever said anything about it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-06-23, 01:39 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by datlas
A Larry thread that has gone two pages without going off the rails?

Inconceivable!
And unbelievable.
Old 12-06-23, 01:41 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Put in high gear before you stop and they'll never get away!
I imagine a bunch of us have evolved quick fixes for slowing potential thieves, such as LesterOfPuppets's trick of leaving the bike in the highest gear. A friend of mine says that when he stops in, e.g., a convenience store, he unships the chain from the chainrings.

My technique is to hook the straps of my helmet around the tire and rim of the front wheel and the down tube. Or just the wheel, but hooking the straps around both the wheel and the down tube might look a little more lock-like to the casual would-be thief.
Where I am in suburbia, the risk of theft from someone walking by and riding off is miniscule. The bigger and real risk is someone simply tossing a bike in the back of a pickup. Those types of tricks won't make a difference.
Old 12-06-23, 01:47 PM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Where I am in suburbia, the risk of theft from someone walking by and riding off is miniscule. The bigger and real risk is someone simply tossing a bike in the back of a pickup. Those types of tricks won't make a difference.
My fallback rationalization is that few thieves would be interested in anything that isn't an e-bike these days.
Old 12-06-23, 03:05 PM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 30 Posts
If a store won't let me bring my bike in, I won't shop there.

That is why I quit my gym.

Mind you, this is totally based on where I used to live....ni bike racks and poorly lit at night. Police also did not care about bike theft.

Last edited by baj32161; 12-06-23 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-06-23, 03:06 PM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 30 Posts
My fallback rationalization is that few thieves would be interested in anything that isn't an e-bike these days.

And how wrong you are.
Old 12-06-23, 04:41 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 1,047 Posts
I only do this if I am on my road bike for a quick stop for water as I wont have a lock... otherwise no.

Old 12-06-23, 05:10 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 355 Posts
Once as a kid I undid my front quick release and moved the wheel mostly out of the dropouts to booby trap it, and then ended up getting myself!

I normally leave it in the front of the store. I usually go to a store after work to get something or other to eat
Old 12-06-23, 05:18 PM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by baj32161
And how wrong you are.
As I said: a rationalization.
Old 12-06-23, 05:26 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
The drive through line was a huge problem with banks in the days before ATM machines. Banks would tend to have Saturday am hours that were drive through only and it was hit and miss as to whether or not they'd serve you on a bike. When you got paid by paper check at the end of the day on Friday that Saturday drive through line was your only option for getting any cash. On occasion I had to prevail on the kindness of strangers to allow me to sit in their car to carry out the transaction while my bike was leaning on the pole between lanes.
At my bank’s drive though line, the bank employees didn’t seem to care one way or the other but occasionally a car driver would try to edumacate me that how I’m at the wrong place - I ought to leave my bike on the bike rack and go inside.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.