Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Just curious but...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Just curious but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-17, 02:17 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
The Tile works over any distance by communicating with the internet via cell service. You can put it in yoir luggage and trace it no matter where it shows up.
No. The Tile don't have a cellphone chip. It doesn't have a gps receiver.

It uses bluetooth to communicate to a smartphone.

It will communicate to any smartphone in the Tile network (other Tile users). So, it doesn't have to be your smartphone.

There are a bunch of similar devices. The Tile might be the most popular. Still, it isn't likely that the network is wide-spread enough to be generally useful.

The Tile is small and the battery is small and it isn't replaceable (you can find teardowns on the internet).

Having a cell chip would seriously shorten the life of that battery. It would make the device more expensive (and less reasonable to have to replace every year).

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-19-17 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-19-17, 03:15 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3270 Post(s)
Liked 1,811 Times in 1,090 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
No. The Tile don't have a cellphone chip. It doesn't have a gps receiver.

It uses bluetooth to communicate to a smartphone.

It will communicate to any smartphone in the Tile network (other Tile users). So, it doesn't have to be your smartphone.

There are a bunch of similar devices. The Tile might be the most popular. Still, it isn't likely that the network is wide-spread enough to be generally useful.

The Tile is small and the battery is small and it isn't replaceable (you can find teardowns on the internet).

Having a cell chip would seriously shorten the life of that battery. It would make the device more expensive (and less reasonable to have to replace every year).
Yes, that's all correct, and a further issue is who is going to do what and when if a stolen Tile is detected? Say someone walks by your stolen bike parked on a bike rack in a town an hour away? Who you gonna call? The cops? When do you think they'll check out the 'ping' if they even do at all? What, are you going to jump in the car and drive over somewhere to find it's a house, or more likely, that the bike isn't there? And what if it is there, locked up? How long will it take to get the cops there? What if the new owner comes up?

I dunno, but speaking as someone who has had three bikes stolen (including a high-dollar, custom Fat City), I don't think I care enough to try to recover a stolen bike to go through any of that kind of hassle. If it shows up from a bike ring raid or something, sure, but otherwise, I'd just move on with homeowners' insurance or replace it on my own (both of which I've done).
Old 03-19-17, 05:46 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
I don't bring a lock anymore with my bike, I don't lock it. If I am at a store or something, I leave it with security, never had issues doing that. But that is so infrequent.

If I was to commute, I plan to buy something crap off of Craigslist, and if it gets stolen, not going to cry over it.
Old 03-19-17, 11:51 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3270 Post(s)
Liked 1,811 Times in 1,090 Posts
I don't ride crap, but I do lock and I don't cry; just replace. Or, I cry briefly and then replace.
Old 03-20-17, 05:02 AM
Defyme

Bikes: 2015 Giant Defy Advanced 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a "Tile" under my saddle that is hidden by the saddle bag. Using the App that comes with it, I can track my lost item just like I am using "Find My Phone" that Apple offers with the iPhone.

https://www.thetileapp.com/?opt=SEM&...FUwFNwodRo0M_A
Old 03-20-17, 06:24 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Defyme
I have a "Tile" under my saddle that is hidden by the saddle bag. Using the App that comes with it, I can track my lost item just like I am using "Find My Phone" that Apple offers with the iPhone.

https://www.thetileapp.com/?opt=SEM&...FUwFNwodRo0M_A
You didn't read the thread.

That isn't really going to help you find a stolen bike since the range of the tile is optimistically 100 feet. Other tile app owners might be able to pick it up but there aren't enough of them to be very useful.

In what situations do you lose your bike?

I could see where it might be useful to it in a large commuter bike lot (like they have in Holland or Japan).
Old 03-20-17, 07:53 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Do any of you have bike insurance? I've heard about Velosurance.. seems kinda pricey though...and I haven't met anyone who has used it.. so, wondering if that'd work?