Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Counter clockwise, clockwise, what??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Counter clockwise, clockwise, what??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 07:55 PM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
Here's another way to think of it. Ever heard of the term 'right hand threads'? Now stick out your right hand and make a thumbs up. If you turn the fastener in the direction of your fingers, the fastener will travel the direction of your thumb. For example, if you're looking 'over' your hand, your fingers are curling in a counter-clockwise direction. Turn the nut or bolt the direction of your fingers and the fastener will go up, which is how your thumb is pointed. You can hold your hand up over your head with the thumb pointed down or to the left or right, and the rule still holds true.
You must be an electrical engineer. I learned this as the orientation of magnetic field around a conductor. I find this thinking very useful, though sometimes I flip things 180 degrees in my mind and tighten things when I mean to loosen them. Recently broke my favorite 35 year old Craftsman 1/2" ratchet because I was backwards. Oh well, at least it was replaceable without damaging the part I was trying to loosen.
Old 04-15-18, 08:40 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
As much fun as this rouse might be it has a real life basis. So many people don't have the spatial understanding to follow "clockwise" or the opposite "counter clockwise". I hear this frequently at work as I talk with/try to explain which way to turn stuff. It's really sad that as we (as a society) race towards the digital future such basic concepts as clock hands direction is forgotten as an important nugget. I find myself referencing a light bulb... Soon even this description will be lost.

What really gets my dander is when people refer to rotational direction as "turn the wrench to the right" (righty tighty). I want to ask which way is the wrench sitting? So many people are not use to critical thinking on so basic a level. Andy
Compass directions are like this for some people too. For example, if two straight streets intersect each other and one runs north/south and one east/west, one should be able to specify which of those four corners something is on really easily and precisely.
Yet the number of people I know who could be told, “There’s a mailbox on the southwest corner of the intersection of Walnut and Beacon” and not have to ask a bunch of clarifying questions is surprisingly low!
Old 04-16-18, 02:05 PM
San Rensho 

Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
Here's another way to think of it. Ever heard of the term 'right hand threads'? Now stick out your right hand and make a thumbs up. If you turn the fastener in the direction of your fingers, the fastener will travel the direction of your thumb. For example, if you're looking 'over' your hand, your fingers are curling in a counter-clockwise direction. Turn the nut or bolt the direction of your fingers and the fastener will go up, which is how your thumb is pointed. You can hold your hand up over your head with the thumb pointed down or to the left or right, and the rule still holds true.
This is all you need to know. Forget everything else.

It works in any orientation. When working on my car I can be completely on the other side of a Fastener and all I have to do is point my thumb in the direction I want the Fastener to go and my fingers curl in the direction to turn it. No need to visualize a clock or anything else.

Just watch out for a left-hand threads, which I don't think exist on bicycles.
Old 04-16-18, 02:22 PM
Kontact

Liked 1,842 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
This is all you need to know. Forget everything else.

It works in any orientation. When working on my car I can be completely on the other side of a Fastener and all I have to do is point my thumb in the direction I want the Fastener to go and my fingers curl in the direction to turn it. No need to visualize a clock or anything else.

Except on the left pedal spindle and right English BB cup and the extractors for certain cranks. But who ever takes their pedals on or off, right?
Old 04-16-18, 02:26 PM
Ghrumpy

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
Actually in four places on relatively modern bikes: Left side pedals, right side BB cups in the British, ISO, and Swiss standards, fixed cog lock rings, and freewheel outer races.
Old 04-16-18, 02:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Only freewheel hub threading that would be left hand thread would be on a rear hub made to have the drive on the left end.

tandem hubs has left ends threaded but that was for a brake, so was made tighter when the brake was applied

(near-trivia) old Regina Freewheels had the 2 largest cogs LH thread against the shoulder in the freewheel body.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-16-18 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-16-18, 02:53 PM
Ghrumpy

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Only freewheel threading that would be left hand thread would be on a rear hub made to have the drive on the left end.
Read again. I didn't say "freewheel threading" I said the freewheel outer race, the ring that the outer bearings run on. Like most of the other LH threads on a bike, it's LH thread to prevent loosening due to epicyclic forces from the bearings. The fixed cog lock ring is the only one that's different in that regard.

But I have made a "lefty", a LH drive bike. Takes people a second to figure out what's different. Pino Morroni did one many years ago, and then Felt recently resurrected the idea for the USA track pursuit bikes. Pino's theory being that the extra weight is lower on the track and travels a shorter distance than a regular RH drive bike, using less energy. Felt also claimed an aero advantage IIRC

Originally Posted by fietsbob
tandem hubs has left ends threaded but that was for a brake, so was made tighter when the brake was applied

(near-trivia) old Regina Freewheels had the 2 largest cogs LH thread against the shoulder in the freewheel body.
Yes, that's right, good catches both. I'd suspect some antique hubs had LH threads on one side of the axle too.
Old 04-16-18, 02:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
I dont tear down freewheel bodies its a pointless task by now ..

some cars have right and left hand lugnuts holding the wheels on .

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-16-18 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-18-18, 11:30 AM
Learning here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes it was a rel question

Thank you very much to CNY for their almost instant response which was also the most clear.
And I DO understand how a clock goes around.
I DON'T count the number of times a phrase has been used before asking a real question. That second reply was so snarky it should have been sifted out. Not helpful.