Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

NYC, can’t have anything nice.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

NYC, can’t have anything nice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-23, 03:28 PM
Bald Paul

Liked 1,865 Times in 872 Posts
If it was indeed a "12 gauge heavy duty hive staple", then I would look for a guy in a beekeepers hat.
Old 07-14-23, 03:33 PM
Bikerdrummer

Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
If it was indeed a "12 gauge heavy duty hive staple", then I would look for a guy in a beekeepers hat.
lol. That wasn’t the exact one. Just using as a visual example.
Old 07-14-23, 03:50 PM
PeteHski

Liked 5,870 Times in 3,622 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak

"Don't see how this could happen naturally." Welcome to the world of Ripley's Believe It Or Not. That newspaper feature has been going strong for over 100 years, and it hasn't run out of hard-to-believe-it-could-happen-naturally occurrences yet.

Here's my latest. Coming back from a ride about a month ago, I was nearly at my house when I suddenly heard a sharp ticking sound and then the hissing of an almost instantaneous flat. I found some sort of long, nasty-looking textured nail, probably meant for use in concrete work. The nail went through the tire, the outer and inner sides of the tube, and the rim. Took pliers to get it out.

The ticking had been the sound of the nail hitting the brake bridge. If I hadn't seen it, I'd have said it was impossible for a nail to insert itself into a tire at precisely the angle necessary to make it all the way through to the rim.

Not bike related but the weirdest thing that happened to me was at school. We were playing cricket in the school yard and I hit the ball straight at a window on the other side of the yard, maybe 50 yards away. We all watched the ball sail toward the window and waited for the inevitable smash, but instead it just zipped silently straight through a hole that was already there from a previous strike. The hole was exactly the same size and my ball didn’t even catch the edge.

Unfortunately the headmaster didn’t believe it!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-14-23, 03:58 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 7,183 Times in 3,715 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikerdrummer
I guess I’m lucky nothing is broken, but you can’t have anything nice here.
If you can make it there you’ll make it anywhere.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 07-14-23, 04:08 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Liked 8,298 Times in 3,298 Posts
I’d prefer to think this was a total accident, but I just don’t see how that would happen naturally.
So, your reluctance to accept a low-probability event has led you to embrace a lower probability event that involves malice on the part of a total stranger? This is basically a conspiracy theory.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-14-23, 05:37 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Liked 3,313 Times in 1,992 Posts
Originally Posted by Duo
well i tried to present solutions to bicycle theft and i almost could predict the reaction. sad.
No, you’re proselytizing. It doesn’t belong here. We’re here to talk about bikes, not your religion.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-14-23, 05:50 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
No, you’re proselytizing. It doesn’t belong here. We’re here to talk about bikes, not your religion.
this is not a subject about bikes, reread this post: it's about crime, increasing crime and the sadness this brings.

i am here to talk about solutions to crime that seems to increase every year. but Karen has no solutions as usual. Karen has no eyes to see or ears to hear, but acts like their non solutions are 'superior' to some one who understands the issue.

so what's next, what possibly could be your solution besides berating someone who has Good Solutions. solutions that have worked but are being discarded.

ask yourself why? go ahead it isn't hard and report back: we wanna know.
Old 07-14-23, 08:08 PM
Bald Paul

Liked 1,865 Times in 872 Posts
Originally Posted by Duo
reading your story reminded me that we really are in the end times,
Oh, good. Can I get a refund on my watch?
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 07-14-23, 08:33 PM
Duo
Banned.

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Oh, good. Can I get a refund on my watch?
really? that's the least of your worries. look around you and wise up, and then maybe we can talk.

oh, and when you come back.......your solutions to bicycle crime or any crime?

Last edited by Duo; 07-14-23 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-14-23, 08:44 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Duo
really? that's the least of your worries. look around you and wise up, and then maybe we can talk.
Because you have all the answers from a book? Don’t get me wrong. I love books. But I learned a long time ago that the solution to everything isn’t in a book. They’re great instruction manuals, but your own experience plays a part.

I’m going to pray for you, Duo.
Old 07-14-23, 08:46 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Duo

oh, and when you come back.......your solutions to bicycle crime or any crime?
You have provided no solutions to bicycle crime. You have provided nothing useful in this thread. But I’ll continue to pray for you. 🙏
Old 07-14-23, 08:47 PM
Bikerdrummer

Are there any moderators on here? This conversation went left and for no good reason.

everyone... be nice, it’s worth it.
Old 07-14-23, 08:50 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Duo
really? that's the least of your worries.
Well, you can’t take it with you, so yeah, I’d be worried about refund issues right now!
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-14-23, 08:51 PM
Bikerdrummer

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
So, your reluctance to accept a low-probability event has led you to embrace a lower probability event that involves malice on the part of a total stranger? This is basically a conspiracy theory.
I guess so. But, it is weird a piece of metal found it’s way into the little tiny hole on the disc tho.
But, I’ll be open minded, it could be totally random that a car drove by, knocked something into something that had some staples in it, and it flew to the curb and flew into the disc brake hole. That would be something remarkable.

I came here to vent a little. But now I see without a picture it’s not as believable. Eh, oh well.
Old 07-14-23, 08:55 PM
Duo
Banned.

Because you have all the answers from a book? Don’t get me wrong. I love books. But I learned a long time ago that the solution to everything isn’t in a book. They’re great instruction manuals, but your own experience plays a part.

I’m going to pray for you, Duo.
again, this thread is about Bicycle Crime; and thanks for yur prayers.

if the solution isn't in The Book, then where is it? still waiting. we can look at California where stores are closing over theft; they wont prosecute under $900 so don't bother to call. or look at down town San Francisco to a city in decline.

we can talk bicycle theft, but that is only one part of this puzzle. at least i offer hope and solutions....what do you have?
Old 07-14-23, 08:56 PM
smd4

That would be something remarkable.
Fortunately, weird or strange or remarkable stuff never happens here. Everything happens exactly how we think they should.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-14-23, 08:58 PM
BillyD
Administrator

You have provided no solutions to bicycle crime. You have provided nothing useful in this thread. But I’ll continue to pray for you. 🙏
Just let it go, man. You be you and let him be him.
Old 07-15-23, 06:45 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Off track, closed..