Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

New Lectric One

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

New Lectric One

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-24, 06:14 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Liked 816 Times in 500 Posts
It's a NY thing.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 07-18-24, 12:53 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

New bike day:

Handlebar is a bit wide for rising between car mirrors, I may swap it our for something narrower or just take a pipe cutter to it.

Likes For cat0020:
Old 07-18-24, 05:42 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Liked 985 Times in 694 Posts
Looks fantastic!!!
Old 07-19-24, 01:04 AM
Duragrouch
Durable Senior Member

Liked 895 Times in 718 Posts
Came with suspension seatpost (and similiar to Thudbuster, not the cheap telescoping onces)? Nice!
Old 07-19-24, 08:37 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Came with suspension seatpost (and similiar to Thudbuster, not the cheap telescoping onces)? Nice!
Nah, I had it on a different bike and just swapped it out.
Pedaled 50 miles yesterday on my regular bike, just needed extra cushion on the Lectric for short test ride.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 07-20-24, 01:53 AM
Duragrouch
Durable Senior Member

The hub motor (no wear on drivetrain), belt drive (no chain maintenance), pinion trans (no cog wear), disc brakes (no rim abrasion), all point to a very low maintenance bike, even in wet climates. Truly greater than the sum of its parts.

The weight would be the only killer for me, I live in a walkup.
Old 07-20-24, 10:19 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I guess the next evolution after the Lectric one is getting rid of the hub drive and switching to the Pinion MGU.

Old 07-20-24, 04:28 PM
Duragrouch
Durable Senior Member

Originally Posted by alloo
I guess the next evolution after the Lectric one is getting rid of the hub drive and switching to the Pinion MGU.

https://youtu.be/QtTJ8BaebN0?si=F6RspPabxFWfkUa0
It would be inherently more efficient, able to use a smaller and lighter motor because able to take advantage of torque multiplication of the transmission. A normal advantage of hub motor is that it doesn't put wear on the chain, cogs, and chainrings. However with a Pinion, if the gearing is durable, especially in constant oil bath and no grit like external gearing, plus a belt drive, I think the mid drive gearing could be just as durable. It sounds like a superb package. Hopefully it has a good clutch system so can be pedaled manually with no motor drag; With an easily-removed battery and smaller motor weight, that makes riding in light non-electric mode much more feasible, and also may be a critical factor for applications to folders, if the gearbox and motor do not add too much weight versus conventional gearing.
Old 07-22-24, 08:14 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

I've put about 40 miles on the Lectric One this weekend;
after pedaling 50 miles on my regular bike FRI last week, my achy body welcomed the help of electric motor.
Lectric One is a very solid bike, no rattling, the belt drive really makes the bike very quiet.
I don't feel any more drag (or motor drag) on the drivetrain than a regular chain driven bike while pedaling without motor assist.
Because my butt still hurting from the 50 mile ride, I put a suspension seatpost on it right away.

The weight of the Lectric One is only felt when you're trying to lift the bike.
No significant feel of the weight while riding it.
I trimmed the handlebar about 1" from each side, added old Bontrager magnesium barends on for different riding positions, since the reach of the Lectric One is short.
Added bell & mirror the handlebar as necessary accessories.

Since Lectric One is not a folder that allows changing the bike's length, transporting it may require a larger vehicle or a hitch rack.
Taking off & putting in the (+/-10 lb.) battery needs to have the seatpost removed. Lectric One share the same battery as the Lectric Trike, same terminals allow usage on both.
I put a cheap pannier/tail bag on the rear rack so I can have some storage, a centerstand that lift the rear wheel would provide more stability while loading things into the panniers.

The most noticeable feature is how quiet the Lectric One rides, with or without the motor engaged. The belt drive certainly help to keep things quiet.
Shifting performance of the Pinion gearbox is similar to the Shimano Ultegra electronic shifting on my road bike, quick & precise.
I tried to play around with the self-shifting feature of Lectric One, but it's rather time consuming to determine the ideal cadence for the Pinion to shift itself.
I think I will save that when I get a chance to watch the Lectric setup video for the feature.
Overall, I feel that it's a well thought out package, offers components that no one else offer at this price point.
If you're looking to get into cycling with an ebike and don't like manual shifting,
Lectric One offers great performance in a compact package that's easy to maneuver and very good value.
But not many beginners are going to spend $2K for their first ebike.. or maybe they do?
Likes For cat0020:
Old 07-22-24, 08:36 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Liked 1,041 Times in 532 Posts
I am not an e-bike rider, but I talked a coworker into getting one of these. Sounds like he's going to like it.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 07-27-24, 12:55 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

I put a 25 mile shake down ride on the Lectric One.
I have to say it's a "solid" ebike. Solid as in sturdy, nice on paved road,
but after an hour in the saddle, I kinda wish there's a suspension fork.
I unlocked the top speed of 28 mph, that's plenty fast for my usage.
I may play around with the settings to adjust the power output for different speeds

I am very happy with the adjustable stem, I could change the handlebar reach & height without getting off the bike.
I rode two laps around the National Park near me,
which has plenty of elevation change between Mt. Joy & Mt. Misery, between 8% and 18% gradient.
The adjustable stem allowed me to lean forward for the uphills.
I have no problem going slow up the hills with lowest gear & higher cadence with PAS1.

Pinion gearbox acts up when I miss a shift and try to shift under heavy load uphill.
Most of my 25 mile ride was in PAS1.
After 25 miles, the battery was only down one bar from full charge.

I like how quiet the belt drive is.
Would I have a regular bike with a Pinion gearbox?
maybe not, but the combo of Pinion & belt drive make the bike very flexible in different types of cycling,
requiring little to no maintenance. I can see myself getting a gravel bike with Pinion & belt drive.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 07-27-24, 01:47 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Liked 985 Times in 694 Posts
cat0020 Do you think you'll swap out the front fork for a suspension fork in the future? I'd love to see what it looks like, and how it improves ride quality. And thank you for the updates...

Old 07-27-24, 08:03 PM
Duragrouch
Durable Senior Member

The pic with the cooling towers in the background is very futuristic. I can think of two captions; "As modern as tomorrow!", and "When petroleum runs out." A giant field of solar panels would also be great.
Old 07-28-24, 10:35 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Originally Posted by tds101
cat0020 Do you think you'll swap out the front fork for a suspension fork in the future? I'd love to see what it looks like, and how it improves ride quality. And thank you for the updates...
OEM aluminum or steel fork has double bridge, which is rare in fork construction, maybe due to the 20"x3" tire clearance and the thru-axle wheel mounting.
I think a carbon fork with QR front wheel would help with the dampening of harsh ride, also loss weight.
or
Custom titanium fork from China,with better dampening characteristic,
wide clearance and thru-axle dropouts, probably keep the OEM from wheel, that might lose some weight.

Suspension to me is that they offer to much spring action, add too much weight.. they maybe good for off-road riding, but not for mostly pavement, commuter.
One thought, the Lectric One is meant to be a low maintenance commuter, not a long distance touring bike, most commuter probably would not ride it for 25 miles in one sitting like I did. Lectric One shouldn't need a fork upgrade as a commuter.

Originally Posted by Duragrouch
The pic with the cooling towers in the background is very futuristic. I can think of two captions; "As modern as tomorrow!", and "When petroleum runs out." A giant field of solar panels would also be great.
Few of the advantage of living close to an nuclear powerplant is that there is rarely any power outage, also protected open spaces.
No housing development, no shopping malls, plenty of space for cycling, on or off-road.
I also have solar panels in my backyard, with battery backup batteries in my basement could go totally off-grip if needed.
Cleaning the panels is much easier when they are not on the roof.

Likes For cat0020:
Old 09-16-24, 05:44 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Lectric is currently offering extra long-range battery with the purchase of Lectric One

https://lectricebikes.com/products/l...ng-range-ebike
Likes For cat0020:
Old 09-17-24, 12:09 AM
Duragrouch
Durable Senior Member

Originally Posted by cat0020
Lectric is currently offering extra long-range battery with the purchase of Lectric One

https://lectricebikes.com/products/l...ng-range-ebike
That's a good deal. I saw one in town with the extra/big battery, delivery guy, I think his had a fenced platform on the rear rack.

Fortunately I do not yet need electric. Because I need a folder, and weight that I can carry up stairs. But with a garage or ground floor bike storage, and elevators, one of those will do most folks great, at a small fraction of the price of a Tern GSD or HSD. But I think their prices have come down just a bit, due to competition.
Likes For Duragrouch: