Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Disappointing development

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Disappointing development

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-09, 01:23 PM
ParaWK4

Bikes: 85 Fuso, 86 Peloton, 84,88 Paramount

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I read that you are already using gel padded gloves and I would suggest additional hand padding. I have suffered with minor to moderate numbness in the left hand and the one thing that has cleared it up quite quickly is to put Sorbothane heel pads stuffed in the palms of my gloves. Note that it has to be Sorbothane, the regular squishy foot and heel pads don't work. If one is not enough, fit two in there. It obviously takes away a lot of dexterity but the beneficial effect was quite immediate for me.
Old 10-02-09, 02:10 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 737 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
A Recumbent is out for me right now because of perceived safety issues. This perception may not be real but I have it in my head. The low level of recumbent and the way they go into intersections worries me a lot.
I've been on recumbents for 12 years now, and I made the switch because my uprights were hurting me more with every year that went by. Hand pain was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak. I sold my old road bike to a co-worker, who LOVES it.

Don't forget, cars are recumbents, and enter intersections the same way. Even the short hood of my wife's Yaris puts the driver's head further back from the intersection than on any recumbent. As far as height, don't get sucked into believing that height=visibility, because in my experience the opposite is true. The outline of an upright rider gets lost in the background clutter, but a recumbent is IN THE ROAD and impossible to miss. So the rate of actually being noticed is better on the recumbent.
Old 10-02-09, 02:18 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Not much I can offer to assist. Thankfully I've never had those types of issues that I've had to try and deal with nor have I ridden with anyone who's experience is similar to yours. I suspect you probably know, but makes you wonder what the root cause of the issue is-carpal tunnel, arthritis, etc.

Good luck with getting it squared away. I'd hate it if you could not keep riding your bike of choice.
Old 10-02-09, 04:04 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I guess since both of my recumbents are LWB designs, I could consider taking a gander at a SWB bent.

It would be easier to transport too.

Hmmm ...

I've gotta tell ya....I'm loving my Volae. It's versitle, nimble and though quick it'll soon be even quicker. I ride it on blacktop and concrete, crushed limestone, grass, boardwalks....you name it. I'm even pulling the occasional Track Stand at red lights, much to the delight of the more observant motorists. The small front wheel make clipless un-necessary and as of yet I just use the platform style pedals and have no balance or manuverability issues at all. It's a great bike for both crowded locations and wide open spaces. Why not drive up and test a couple before the weather gets too cantankerous?

Don't they still fashion those frames just down the road a piece from you? Wouldn't it be cool to order a bike from Rolf and then watch your frame being welded and painted, and then slip back up mid-state and watch the components go onto it? Would have to document that journey with lots of pictures!!

I'm still hoping to bring mine up next week. We're definately going to the Hostel Shoppe and if time permits maybe I might swing by Waterford. Bike leaning against sign pictures will be mandatory if I get there, as it would be kinda like a pilgrimage or something.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 10-02-09 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-02-09, 08:20 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, those Volae bents use frames made by Waterford in Wisconsin, made for the Hostel Shoppe in Wisconsin. I've been to the HS a couple of times. Test rode a couple of trikes there on my last visit, but decided that I like my two-wheel recumbents better ... for now.
Old 10-02-09, 08:20 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ParaWK4
I read that you are already using gel padded gloves and I would suggest additional hand padding. I have suffered with minor to moderate numbness in the left hand and the one thing that has cleared it up quite quickly is to put Sorbothane heel pads stuffed in the palms of my gloves.
Thanks ... will look into this.

Wish I had read this earlier today, as I was in a shoe store and saw the heal pads on a rack. But went right past them.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 10-02-09 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-03-09, 05:27 AM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
you really need another recumbent, a SWB.
try a HPV SMGTe, lots of adjustment for comfort & easier to transport than LWB.
several years ago i wrecked the connective tissue in my elbow, it was hard to ride just
about anything. Upwrong bikes were uncomfortable, tried two other bents finally the SM was a perfect choice. It was my only rideable bike for a few years. My elbow has improved, now it shares road time with three other bikes & everyone is happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P7300006.jpg (98.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 10-03-09, 08:03 AM
alcanoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had those issues some 8 years ago when I started significant cycling after retiring. It took a while, but I eventually could ride drop bars to 70+ miles with the bars level with the seat. Now I ride 98% mountain bike (bars 2" below the seat). However, I can jump on my road bike anytime and do 40 miles with little discomfort and this is at an age of 70. My last road ride was about two weeks ago.

The key to joint health and being pain free is a good weight training program. Lifting relatively heavy weights fast keeps everything ship-shape including the hands/wrists/arms/back/shoulders if one emphasises free weights vice machines. Push-ups are essential for me.

It takes a while too to get a bike set-up for good comfort and time for the body to adapt. Those were my issues . A good riding position tailored to one's physique is key and takes some work. However, for me upright was never an option due to poor handling (critical for off-road) and the inability to apply real power to the pedals.

Al