Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

cross wind question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

cross wind question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-09, 03:20 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 272 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronal
Nice job...first link doesn't even compare wheels, second link is from Zipp and doesn't substantiate any of your claims seeing as how they only test at 30 degrees max.
It substantiates my claim that there are not a trivial number of tests at other than 0 yaw (I count 48 maybe you consider that a trivial number, I don't). It also shows that drag drops with increasing yaw, but I guessed you missed it).

As to only going out to 30 degrees, have you ever considered what conditions are necessary to have yaw angles greater than that? Have you ever experienced it?
Old 12-27-09, 03:26 PM
asgelle

What the hell are you talking about? You make it sound as if there's a non-trivial number of wind tunnel tests that compare wind flow from different directions on bicycle wheels. Link me to 3.
Here's 12 more. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwit...0_TT)_P2609085
Old 12-27-09, 03:28 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
I was watching a video of the Coors Classic races back in the 80's. They had full disc front wheels. Wonder why they don't do that anymore?
Originally Posted by asgelle
I didn't realize 1080 mm deep rims were available in the 80's. Do you have a picture of them?
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
According to Sheldon Brown, there were disc wheels back in the 1800's
Originally Posted by bbattle
Francesco Moser
Both of you fail. You didn't pay attention to asgelle's answer. They didn't have super-deep carbon rims to use on the front like they do now. Why use a disc when you can use a massively deep rim, still get most of the aero benefit, and better handling.
Old 12-27-09, 03:33 PM
vsopking

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Specialized Rockhopper Expert, Specialized Sirrus Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike... but what's with the saddle? Sort of a nutbasher?
Old 12-27-09, 03:33 PM
neuronal

Bikes: Many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It substantiates my claim that there are not a trivial number of tests at other than 0 yaw (I count 48 maybe you consider that a trivial number, I don't). It also shows that drag drops with increasing yaw, but I guessed you missed it).

As to only going out to 30 degrees, have you ever considered what conditions are necessary to have yaw angles greater than that? Have you ever experienced it?
What the hell are you talking about? You make it sound as if there's a non-trivial number of wind tunnel tests that *compare wind flow from different directions on bicycle wheels*. *Link me to 3.*
Still waiting...

Are you seriously saying that you've never experience apparent wind at more than 30 degrees? Cycle much? I'd like to see some credible (i.e. a source not financially invested) source with data up to 75 degrees, which is more than likely what the guy you were disputing earlier was talking about.

You also failed to consider how much harder it is to ride in a crosswind with disc wheels, steering-wise. When someone says "I notice much more work in side wind when using a wheel with a deep rim but the hill climb rims can also make for a twitchy ride on a very windy day." and you tell them they are wrong, please have actual facts to back it up. You implied there were plenty of such tests, I asked for 2 and you've given 0 relevant ones.
Old 12-27-09, 03:35 PM
neuronal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

tldr. Do you have the link to the data/results?

Also, this looks like marketing drivel. I'm not looking for Easton PR, I'm looking for a legit test comparing the wheels and data.

Last edited by neuronal; 12-27-09 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-27-09, 03:40 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
you are in over your head.

BTW if you bothered to click on that link I posted on page one, it explains yaw angle in detail and includes a calculator for any speed and angle of wind, as well as bike speed.
Old 12-27-09, 03:49 PM
asgelle

Still waiting...

I'd like to see some credible (i.e. a source not financially invested) source with data up to 75 degrees, which is more than likely what the guy you were disputing earlier was talking about.
Are you saying that Zipp and Hed lied about actually performing the tests. Since the question was the number of tests, the results are irrelevant. You are now claiming that these two companies are claiming results for tests they never performed. Given how many independent testers have reproduced the results (Google is your friend) this would seem highly unlikely. Anyway. Here's a source for independent test results. https://www.biketechreview.com/aerody...8_trispoke.htm (note this write up refers to another test series as well) and a few more https://www.biketechreview.com/aerody...els_tunnel.htm and https://www.biketechreview.com/aerody...aero_forks.htm

And hey, look what Kraig has to say about yaw angles in the last reference,
"In order to evaluate overall aerodynamic performance, it is essential to measure the sample’s properties over a representative range of yaw angles. It was assumed that the appropriate range of yaw values for cycling is 0° to 20°. There are certainly occasions in which the yaw angle exceeds 20 degrees, but it can be argued that these situations are rare."

But what does Kraig Willett know?
Old 12-27-09, 03:49 PM
neuronal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
you are in over your head.

BTW if you bothered to click on that link I posted on page one, it explains yaw angle in detail and includes a calculator for any speed and angle of wind, as well as bike speed.
I'm not following how this is relevant. With normal wind conditions in Boston, it's extremely easy to have an apparent wind angle of 60-70 degrees.

Clarification: I'm not claiming that deep rims don't reduce drag. I'm just saying that the earlier remark about how "every test IRL and in the wind tunnel show that it's easier to ride with deep rims" is false.
Old 12-27-09, 03:55 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
baloney.

I dare you to ride in those conditions with any wheels. You'd need a day with a 30mph sustained (not gusts) wind speed just to get the results you are looking for.

This is not about science. It's about a silly pissing contest where nothing anyone says will ever cause you to realize "gee, maybe I was wrong about something"

pointless argument.
Old 12-27-09, 03:56 PM
neuronal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you saying that Zipp and Hed lied about actually performing the tests. Since the question was the number of tests, the results are irrelevant. You are now claiming that these two companies are claiming results for tests they never performed. Given how many independent testers have reproduced the results (Google is your friend) this would seem highly unlikely. Anyway. Here's a source for independent test results. https://www.biketechreview.com/aerody...8_trispoke.htm (note this write up refers to another test series as well) and a few more https://www.biketechreview.com/aerody...els_tunnel.htm and https://www.biketechreview.com/aerody...aero_forks.htm

And hey, look what Kraig has to say about yaw angles in the last reference,
"In order to evaluate overall aerodynamic performance, it is essential to measure the sample’s properties over a representative range of yaw angles. It was assumed that the appropriate range of yaw values for cycling is 0° to 20°. There are certainly occasions in which the yaw angle exceeds 20 degrees, but it can be argued that these situations are rare."

I can see that I was unclear in what I was asking. I was not asking for different angles on the same wheel. I was asking for data on different angles on many wheels. You've finally given a link to such a test (thank you, but I don't have access to the results).
Old 12-27-09, 03:57 PM
asgelle

II'm just saying that the earlier remark about how "every test IRL and in the wind tunnel show that it's easier to ride with deep rims" is false.
Sadly, that is not what you were saying at all. Do I really need to remind you what your first words on this subject were? O.K.
What the hell are you talking about? You make it sound as if there's a non-trivial number of wind tunnel tests that compare wind flow from different directions on bicycle wheels. Link me to 3.
Old 12-27-09, 03:59 PM
neuronal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
baloney.

I dare you to ride in those conditions with any wheels. You'd need a day with a 30mph sustained (not gusts) wind speed just to get the results you are looking for.

This is not about science. It's about a silly pissing contest where nothing anyone says will ever cause you to realize "gee, maybe I was wrong about something"

pointless argument.
Try:
rider at 18mph
wind at 15mph, 310 degrees

This is pretty much how it usually is around where I live (well, the degree changes, but the wind speed is usually 10-20mph).
Old 12-27-09, 04:01 PM
neuronal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sadly, that is not what you were saying at all. Do I really need to remind you what your first words on this subject were? O.K.
The "What the hell are you talking about?" is referring to your claim about wind and work. The second sentence is a different subject. Like I said, I was unclear in my first post, but most of my later posts should have made it clear.

Are you seriously saying that you've never experience apparent wind at more than 30 degrees? Cycle much? I'd like to see some credible (i.e. a source not financially invested) source with data up to 75 degrees, which is more than likely what the guy you were disputing earlier was talking about.

You also failed to consider how much harder it is to ride in a crosswind with disc wheels, steering-wise. When someone says "I notice much more work in side wind when using a wheel with a deep rim but the hill climb rims can also make for a twitchy ride on a very windy day." and you tell them they are wrong, please have actual facts to back it up. You implied there were plenty of such tests, I asked for 2 and you've given 0 relevant ones.
Old 12-27-09, 04:02 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Try:
rider at 18mph
wind at 15mph, 310 degrees

This is pretty much how it usually is around where I live (well, the degree changes, but the wind speed is usually 10-20mph).
you do realize that is a tailwind?
Old 12-27-09, 04:05 PM
neuronal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you do realize that is a tailwind?
Set the wind to 90 degrees then. Point still stands.
Old 12-27-09, 04:10 PM
neuronal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, this has been a pointless argument and all, but you guys still have failed to convince me that deep rims are better in a decent crosswind (which is the context of this thread). My original beef had been with this claim, and I've yet to see any data that supports it (even though apparently a lot of such data exists?)
Old 12-27-09, 04:18 PM
asgelle

Well, this has been a pointless argument and all, but you guys still have failed to convince me that deep rims are better in a decent crosswind (which is the context of this thread). My original beef had been with this claim, and I've yet to see any data that supports it (even though apparently a lot of such data exists?)
Zipp data, Hed Data, Biketechreview data, model results at analyticcycling.com, endless discussions at slowtwitch.com, and much more if you'd be willing to look at it. What exactly are you looking for?
Old 12-27-09, 04:22 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think you two are just talking past each other, not about the same thing. Deep rims may be harder to handle in a crosswind, but that doesn't mean that they aren't beneficial from an aerodynamic standpoint.
Old 12-27-09, 04:28 PM
neuronal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zipp data, Hed Data, Biketechreview data, model results at analyticcycling.com, endless discussions at slowtwitch.com, and much more if you'd be willing to look at it. What exactly are you looking for?
I am asking for data that includes angles up to 75 degrees, though I suppose 55 degrees would be enough at this point. 75 is a bit rare. I can see that ZIPP did stuff up to 30 degrees, but that wasn't enough.

The point is, if you are right and deep rims are better in heavy crosswinds, you should have data that says that the drag is significantly lower to offset the increased difficulty in handling, especially for angles that are more realistic for heavy crosswinds.
Old 12-27-09, 04:29 PM
neuronal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
I think you two are just talking past each other, not about the same thing. Deep rims may be harder to handle in a crosswind, but that doesn't mean that they aren't beneficial from an aerodynamic standpoint.
I agree. The question is whether or not the decrease in drag is significant enough to be worth it. Of course, this is opinion-based, but I was looking for data anyways.
Old 12-27-09, 04:37 PM
asgelle

I am asking for data that includes angles up to 75 degrees, though I suppose 55 degrees would be enough at this point. 75 is a bit rare. I can see that ZIPP did stuff up to 30 degrees, but that wasn't enough.
Steve Hed, Josh Portner, Kraig Willett John Cobb, Andy Coggan and others have all decided that yaw angles above 30 degrees are so rare as to provide no meaningful benefit from the results. They have also studied wind tables and rider speeds and determined that the most likely angles lie between 5 and 15 degrees meaning 30 or even 20 degrees provides a good margin. You on the other hand, feel they are inadequate in their estimation and are neglecting the important area out to 75 degrees. I'll leave it to the reader to decide who has more credibility.
Old 12-27-09, 04:47 PM
neuronal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steve Hed, Josh Portner, Kraig Willett John Cobb, Andy Coggan and others have all decided that yaw angles above 30 degrees are so rare as to provide no meaningful benefit from the results. They have also studied wind tables and rider speeds and determined that the most likely angles lie between 5 and 15 degrees meaning 30 or even 20 degrees provides a good margin. You on the other hand, feel they are inadequate in their estimation and are neglecting the important area out to 75 degrees. I'll leave it to the reader to decide who has more credibility.
As the HED wind gadget says, riding at 18mph with a 15mph crosswind gives an angle of 40 degrees, and a 20mph wind gives an angle closer to 50 degrees. And if you live in a windy region (we were getting 60 mph gusts here recently, where the apparent angle is about 65 degrees), it is not that rare to see high angles.

Keep in mind, no one is talking about normal or average riding conditions here. We are talking about crosswinds (or as everyone assumes, strong crosswinds). Sure, 90 percent of my riding is in an apparent wind angle of <15 degrees, but that is not the topic of this thread.

So once again, I ask you, do you have any data to back up your claims?
Old 12-27-09, 04:57 PM
asgelle

As the HED wind gadget says, riding at 18mph with a 15mph crosswind gives an angle of 40 degrees, and a 20mph wind gives an angle closer to 50 degrees.
You're not solving the right problem. Rider speed and wind speed/angle are not independent. Rider power is fixed. If the rider can keep a speed into a dead headwind, as the wind clocks around, the rider will go faster and the apparent wind will move nearer to head on. Use analyticcycling.com for power given speed and iterate on a rider speed and true wind to calculate the true rider speed for a fixed power and crosswind. Then use that in the HED calculator and see what happens.

Also you have to use wind speed at 1 meter above ground level. Weather stations usually report at 10 meters. The boundary layer at ground level means the speed at 1 m is much lower than the free stream above.
Old 12-27-09, 05:08 PM
neuronal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're not solving the right problem. Rider speed and wind speed/angle are not independent. Rider power is fixed. If the rider can keep a speed into a dead headwind, as the wind clocks around, the rider will go faster and the apparent wind will move nearer to head on. Use analyticcycling.com for power given speed and iterate on a rider speed and true wind to calculate the true rider speed for a fixed power and crosswind. Then use that in the HED calculator and see what happens.

Also you have to use wind speed at 1 meter above ground level. Weather stations usually report at 10 meters. The boundary layer at ground level means the speed at 1 m is much lower than the free stream above.
What you've said may be true, but that's besides the point. I'm sure I've ridden at 18mph in both 15 and 20mph crosswinds, even if measured at ground level. In fact, I've ridden in much higher winds. Granted, I am slower in heaver crosswinds, but then the apparent wind angle only increases and emphasizes my point. I was merely demonstrating that it is not rare and definitely not unrealistic to have apparent wind angles of >30 degrees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.