Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-16, 11:28 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Some openers after work, hot AF out (90-something).

919w for 20-sec, taking this show on the road this weekend! (two crits tomorrow, one sunday)

#ewang
how does this compare with your competitors?
Old 06-03-16, 11:35 PM
mattm
**** that

Liked 105 Times in 30 Posts
Dunno, but I assume less than them; the ones that always win seem to have peaks around 1600w; my peak is more like 1200.

Not sure what their longer-term (for sprints) power is, but in a drag race I tend to lose against them. Even so, it's about as good as it gets for me so I'm happy to be back at where I've won in the past.

Only way I've beat them is strategically - get the early jump, make the break, etc. Proper leadout would help (haven't had one in years) but that's easier said than done.

my race videos
Old 06-04-16, 12:27 AM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Some openers after work, hot AF out (90-something).

919w for 20-sec, taking this show on the road this weekend! (two crits tomorrow, one sunday)

#ewang
Nice! Good luck tomorrow.

920 is about my 50s best, but I've got a few more pounds on you (~180) and you certainly are able to use your power much more effectively than I can use mine.
Old 06-04-16, 08:23 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Same as yesterday, except less hard because I got scolded for partying too hard, which makes some sense given I accidentally set a new 10min pb.

I think I have a post Killington ass kicking fitness bump. Where were these legs last weekend?
Old 06-04-16, 12:41 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Nice! Good luck tomorrow.

920 is about my 50s best, but I've got a few more pounds on you (~180) and you certainly are able to use your power much more effectively than I can use mine.
if this is not a typo, then you should be racing on the track.

>11w/kg for ~1' is, well, pretty high level.
Old 06-04-16, 01:20 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Openers today, state championship crit tomorrow
Old 06-04-16, 02:22 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
if this is not a typo, then you should be racing on the track.

>11w/kg for ~1' is, well, pretty high level.
I'd love to, but the track is too far away

Also, have a bit of a dip in power between 50s and 60s. My 60s max is 810, so right around 10w/kg. Would like to try the kilo one day.
Old 06-04-16, 02:35 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Liked 638 Times in 340 Posts
2.5 hrs, 114 TSS plus whatever TSS racing 10k
Old 06-04-16, 02:44 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My 60 second PR is about 10 w/kg. Never done better than 9 in a race though. I wouldn't mind taking 1 w/kg off of that 60 second power and pasting it onto my 20 minute power.
Old 06-04-16, 03:48 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,111 Times in 1,418 Posts
Missed the group ride, but had a nice ride with my son. We found some new roads that aren't technically open to traffic yet so we had beautiful pavement all to ourselves.
Old 06-04-16, 03:57 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
My 60 second PR is about 10 w/kg. Never done better than 9 in a race though. I wouldn't mind taking 1 w/kg off of that 60 second power and pasting it onto my 20 minute power.
I'd like to do the same
Old 06-04-16, 04:00 PM
johnybutts

Bikes: Type of horse.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
3 hrs on the trainer doing trainer road while watching 2014 tour of Flanders.
Old 06-04-16, 10:06 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
I'd love to, but the track is too far away

Also, have a bit of a dip in power between 50s and 60s. My 60s max is 810, so right around 10w/kg. Would like to try the kilo one day.
still...super solid.

if you had reason to, i'd imagine you could extend that 11w/kg out to 60....

impressive, hack.

it's all the same, right ... +1w/kg for 5" = +1w/kg for 20'...?

do you guys feel you have opportunity / create opportunity to race your strengths?
Old 06-04-16, 10:12 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
still...super solid.

if you had reason to, i'd imagine you could extend that 11w/kg out to 60....

impressive, hack.

do you guys feel you have opportunity / create opportunity to race your strengths?
Thanks. I could probably up the watts and drop the kg a bit more, especially if I just focused on the power stuff instead of trying to improve the longer duration (in prep for Cascade).

Re: strengths, I could probably improve that a bit, but it'd be more work and less fun. I've been running on motivational fumes the past couple of months and am trying to re-focus on enjoying riding the bike.
Old 06-05-16, 07:02 AM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
jah damn i cannot even fathom these types of power numbers.
Old 06-05-16, 10:40 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was just thinking about this. This season I haven't been racing to my strengths. Today I buried myself multiple times to get into various breaks, including starting the race with 7 w/kg for 90 seconds to hang with the first break, and later an all time best sprint type effort to latch onto another break. That's not smart racing, I'm not a breakaway rider and I should be saving race ending efforts like that for the end of the race. The race was back together with 1 to go and if I had saved all that gas (and not flatted out of the race) it would have been a great situation.

I know hindsight is 20/20 and obviously I thought both of those breaks were going to stick at the time, but it's all about comparative advantage. I may have a comparative advantage being able to get onto any break that has 5 seconds on the field, but I don't have a comparative advantage when I'm in that break. I do have a good advantage if the field is together with a few laps to go. So the smart play is always going to be letting the early break go, even if it is a lot more fun to be animating the race throughout.
Old 06-05-16, 11:01 AM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was just thinking about this. This season I haven't been racing to my strengths. Today I buried myself multiple times to get into various breaks, including starting the race with 7 w/kg for 90 seconds to hang with the first break, and later an all time best sprint type effort to latch onto another break. That's not smart racing, I'm not a breakaway rider and I should be saving race ending efforts like that for the end of the race. The race was back together with 1 to go and if I had saved all that gas (and not flatted out of the race) it would have been a great situation.

I know hindsight is 20/20 and obviously I thought both of those breaks were going to stick at the time, but it's all about comparative advantage. I may have a comparative advantage being able to get onto any break that has 5 seconds on the field, but I don't have a comparative advantage when I'm in that break. I do have a good advantage if the field is together with a few laps to go. So the smart play is always going to be letting the early break go, even if it is a lot more fun to be animating the race throughout.
It's funny ... my power profile would suggest I am not a break rider either, but, with the exception of one race, all my wins have come out of the break.
Old 06-05-16, 12:00 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
rainy here today so i hit the rollers (of course i think it stopped raining as soon as i started riding the rollers, but so it goes). 2 hours with 3*10' of 30" on 30" off. brutal.
Old 06-05-16, 08:24 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
btw, wasn't criticizing you or [MENTION=69140]hack[/MENTION] -- i was just curious as to whether you used that particular skill to good effect in races.

well, we're also playing a game that is pay-to-play, so we've got to do what is fun. yeah, winning is fun, sure -- but we all have different ideas about what we enjoy. if a guy with a true killer sprint decides he wants to get in early breaks, who am i to say that is wrong? it's just how he wants to spend his $50 and saturday morning.

some of the most memorable races i've had have been in a long break, like even 90 miles.....and not sticking it. it was 3 hours of excitement...will we establish the break? will get shut down when the field has brought us to within 50m (nope.....that weird social thing can happen where you get close but are not caught)? the moto riding alongside you all day, giving you time gaps, making you feel pro. you also finish the day feeling spent, like you really DID something (even if it was stupid/ill-advised/low probability).

is it wrong to race that way? not sure what others think, but i don't believe there is a 'wrong' in a hobby.

smart money is to always let the early break roll, but as one gets to a higher level of the sport and there is a higher percentage of talent, if you don't take a big risk, there's unlikely to be a big reward. (that is if/when one upgrades to the point where they've basically hit their limit.)
Old 06-05-16, 08:36 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
btw, wasn't criticizing you or @hack
Not taken that way ... I try to race to my strengths and do some work here and there to improve it, but I know my weaknesses are pretty glaring and need the attention a bit more at the moment.
Old 06-05-16, 09:33 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,111 Times in 1,418 Posts
Wasn't able to race Lodi due to family commitments, but I was able to sneak out and do a set of 2' on/off and 1' on/off. Wow, that sucked.
Old 06-05-16, 10:57 PM
mattm
**** that

Liked 105 Times in 30 Posts
A good question.

Sometimes, is my answer.

Still learning what my "strengths" are, am more familiar with my weaknesses thus far.

my race videos
Old 06-06-16, 05:50 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Didn't end up racing yesterday, so I set out and did 3x10 at ~104%. Felt pretty good. Then it rained, and the rain was cold.
Old 06-06-16, 11:30 AM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still learning what my "strengths" are, am more familiar with my weaknesses thus far.
it's all relative, right?

for some of us "not a weakness" = let's call it a strength! ;-)
Old 06-06-16, 11:39 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
It's only gotten more confusing for me. In the 3's I thought I was a climby type thing but after upgrading it turns out I suck equally at everything!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.