Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-16, 08:42 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@PepeM I will give you my perspective as a "break rider". I think that we fall into more than one category. One is the long distance, the other is the short distance and both require slightly different profiles. A long break rider typically is someone who does better over long period, and is able to do more repeated efforts. A short break rider tends to be someone who has better overall power.

For me I know that I do better in longer breaks. My 5 minute power is my true strength, along with a pretty good 20 minute. My 1 minute is atrocious apparently and might explain why I don't do well in thing like 3 lap to go breaks or anything that is short but super fast.

YMMV
Old 06-07-16, 09:17 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I honestly think the trick with being a break rider isn't about W/kg at different durations as it is picking the right moment. You can beat yourself into the ground trying to get something established for 3/4 of the race, only to fail to go with the decisive move when it happens. Okay, power can tell you something about your chances in a solo break - my W/kg for 20' is okay, probably around 4.7 at this point when I'm fresh. But that's less than 270. Not a lot to work with when solo, even with a good Cda. But that doesn't rule out breaks, it just means I really need some help so I can go over during my pulls and recover in the draft. Though hey, who knows, it could even work given the right circumstances. Breaks generally don't stick because they're collectively stronger than the rest of the field, they stick because they've got a gap and more strength among the riders committed to working the break than those committed to chasing it down. Enough disorder in the peloton and even puny li'l me could ride away solo. I'm not holding my breath, though.
Old 06-07-16, 12:09 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Also, I know that if I just stay with the pack my chances of winning are pretty much non-existent, so what's the point?
How do you know?

I thought that too, until I started winning field sprints.

Originally Posted by globecanvas
As the great philosopher Shovelcrates once wrote: "If it comes down to a sprint, you won't win, so don't let it."
One of the favorite pieces of "advice" I got when I was a cat 5 was a salty veteran cat 3 on the team telling me "you'll never win a field sprint, go for the break."

That made me want to win a field sprint really bad, so I did!

my race videos
Old 06-07-16, 12:14 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
How do you know?

I thought that too, until I started winning field sprints.
Therein lies the problem, doesn't it?

Answer, right now, is that my sprinting technique sucks. Need to work on that but once I get better at it I agree with you that the only way I'll find out is by giving it a try. But yes, every time I try to sprint I just either wobble or my butt ends up back on my saddle. Just can't seem to put the power down.
Old 06-07-16, 12:19 PM
mattm
**** that

Therein lies the problem, doesn't it?

Answer, right now, is that my sprinting technique sucks. Need to work on that but once I get better at it I agree with you that the only way I'll find out is by giving it a try. But yes, every time I try to sprint I just either wobble or my butt ends up back on my saddle. Just can't seem to put the power down.
In a way that's good - sounds like there is a lot to improve on, and it's mostly around sprint form.

Look up "form sprints", and try those. Practice the motions over and over again.

Another thing about sprinting is when you're really trying to sprint, literally try to rip the bars off. Try to break the bike with your sprint. CDR has written books on the subject, I'm sure he can add to this!

As a side-note, I gained 200w in my sprint when I switched from (old, loose) SPD cleats to (new, tight) Speedplays. It also took a lot of practice - working on form, working on power, etc.

Once you get all that down, then you have to work on doing it in a race - timing, tactics. That part makes sprint practice seem easy!

Also: my sprint power has me in the cat 3 column, I'm certainly not a "sprinter" by power profile. I just like to do them.

my race videos
Old 06-07-16, 12:42 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you can get pretty far in cat 3 and below sprints with good positioning and knowing when to jump.
Old 06-07-16, 12:56 PM
PepeM

In a way that's good - sounds like there is a lot to improve on, and it's mostly around sprint form.

Look up "form sprints", and try those. Practice the motions over and over again.

Another thing about sprinting is when you're really trying to sprint, literally try to rip the bars off. Try to break the bike with your sprint. CDR has written books on the subject, I'm sure he can add to this!

As a side-note, I gained 200w in my sprint when I switched from (old, loose) SPD cleats to (new, tight) Speedplays. It also took a lot of practice - working on form, working on power, etc.

Once you get all that down, then you have to work on doing it in a race - timing, tactics. That part makes sprint practice seem easy!

Also: my sprint power has me in the cat 3 column, I'm certainly not a "sprinter" by power profile. I just like to do them.

Originally Posted by mike868y
you can get pretty far in cat 3 and below sprints with good positioning and knowing when to jump.
I have done some form sprints in the past. Really need to get more of that done. I also do remember doing better when holding really tight to the bars, but I forget to do that most of the time. Wish I didn't read about the SPD cleats as that's what I have right now, don't need upgrade ideas lurking in my head right now!

I am aware of the importance of timing and positioning, but that seems even harder to figure out. Still trying to but there is a lot of improvement to be made. The one time I felt I was well positioned we ran into some lapped riders occupying the middle of the road and I had to take the wide lane around them, which made me lose my wheel.

In summary, I'll try to win the sprint out of a breakaway tonight.
Old 06-07-16, 01:53 PM
mattm
**** that

I have done some form sprints in the past. Really need to get more of that done. I also do remember doing better when holding really tight to the bars, but I forget to do that most of the time. Wish I didn't read about the SPD cleats as that's what I have right now, don't need upgrade ideas lurking in my head right now!

I am aware of the importance of timing and positioning, but that seems even harder to figure out. Still trying to but there is a lot of improvement to be made. The one time I felt I was well positioned we ran into some lapped riders occupying the middle of the road and I had to take the wide lane around them, which made me lose my wheel.

Fwiw my SPDs were the mtn-specific ones, not road pedals. I've heard the road SPDs are much better.

Also mine were just really loose (had some give when pulling up).

Anyway good luck!

my race videos
Old 06-07-16, 02:06 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 338 Posts
ouch, in an effort to avoid thunderstorms that aren't seeming to materialize, i did a zwift race in my basement. avg 231w (NP 234) for 55 mins. that was toasty
Old 06-07-16, 02:53 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
more 1' on off efforts today. wanted to do a second workout after work, but i'm pretty sleepy and taking a nap sounds more appealing.
Old 06-07-16, 02:55 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My legs hurt.
Old 06-07-16, 03:37 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Speaking of sprints, I did more drag race sprints this morning before work. They hurt, but they're over quickly.
Old 06-07-16, 03:39 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I leked lots of farts today and GC watched me with a mild disgust.
Old 06-08-16, 09:52 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2780 Post(s)
Liked 3,371 Times in 1,765 Posts
Kicked down a hard one this morning:

48.42 mi w 3.5k elevation in 2.4 hrs, good for 19.9 mph on 215w AP/235w NP

Up next: eating while I try not to pass out at my desk
Old 06-08-16, 10:05 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Thunderstorms held off yesterday evening, so I went and did 7x2' repeats. Goal being repeatability rather than max power, so I targeted 350W for the first six, only went bonkers on the last one. 389 for the last one... makes me think next time I should shoot for 360 or 370, if I had that much left.
Old 06-08-16, 10:18 AM
PepeM

Did none of those. Largest field I've ever seen last night and also the fastest race. Tried to shake things up a bit mid-race but nothing materialized. Dropped into the bunch a bit to rest and then got stuck in there. With five laps or so left I saw the winning move go and it was clear that was the good one but I just couldn't find a way to move up, so I didn't. I don't really get why no one who was better positioned went with it, but I guess that's what makes it a winning move as opposed to another one that gets caught. Then the last two laps I couldn't move up either, so I rolled in with the pack. Sucks when you leave with a bit something extra to give but don't get the chance. I guess 'moving up' needs to be added to the long list of things I need to learn. NP was 276 for a 1.10 IF, so maybe I'm fooling myself thinking I could have done much. But I wanted to try, darn it!
Old 06-08-16, 11:22 AM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by caloso
Speaking of sprints, I did more drag race sprints this morning before work. They hurt, but they're over quickly.
What's a drag race sprint?

my race videos
Old 06-08-16, 11:32 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Standing start?
Old 06-08-16, 12:40 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been so long since I have done 3X20s . They were both glorious and horrible. I ended up far closer to Z4 than SS. Which is good. But they felt bad. I am confused.

I guess this means I can still ride breakaways.
Old 06-08-16, 12:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

What's a drag race sprint?
Standing start. Alternate big and little rings, middle of the cassette, no shifting.
Old 06-08-16, 12:44 PM
caloso

Had a somewhat heated political/philosophical argument with my training partner on what was supposed to be a tempo ride this morning. Came within a few watts of my 30' best.
Old 06-08-16, 01:48 PM
mattm
**** that

Standing start. Alternate big and little rings, middle of the cassette, no shifting.
Ah gotcha.

I haven't done those in a while... good reminder to get back to 'em. They are good!

my race videos
Old 06-08-16, 01:50 PM
mattm
**** that

Had a somewhat heated political/philosophical argument with my training partner on what was supposed to be a tempo ride this morning. Came within a few watts of my 30' best.
I have a work colleague that's on a different side of politics than me, but luckily we can have a non-heated discussion about stuff.

Asked someone else today (at work) who they voted for, they refused to talk about it.. probably smart! I'm not that smart tho.

my race videos
Old 06-08-16, 02:21 PM
mattm
**** that

Did the training crit yesterday - got there with literally three minutes until roll out, clipped in just as the pack was rolling out and caught on to race (no numbers required, I paid later, they were cool with it).

Basically just attacked a lot. Never got away.

Came down to a field sprint, which I attacked about 800m out. Unfortunately about 30m too soon... but it was really good training!

134 TSS for the 1:08 race, 269w AP/325w NP (way higher than normal). Either my pwoermeter is broken or I got stronger recently. Or I just tried harder than usual.

my race videos

Last edited by mattm; 06-08-16 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-08-16, 02:31 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I hope you gave that fascist/communist/sellout/conman/hippie/murderer/phony/cultist/liar what for!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.