Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How fer did you ride today?!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How fer did you ride today?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-23, 09:46 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 6,094 Times in 3,107 Posts
42 miles, 2500’ climbed and a handful of PRs on climbs

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-07-23, 10:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Hill climb late afternoon. 1200’ in 3 miles with 7 miles warmup + downhill. Max HR 192. Max grade 18%. Stopped and caught my breath here:

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-08-23, 04:18 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,155 Times in 2,004 Posts
25 miles
Old 08-08-23, 05:21 PM
packitin
Greenway Roadrunner

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Roubaix 28cm

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
4 miles yesterday. (I'm almost 85)
Likes For packitin:
Old 08-08-23, 07:36 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 258 Posts
27 miles yesterday

Another 25 or so tomorrow. Maybe 40 or so Friday night, but I
if not then 40-60 Saturday morning.
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 08-08-23, 09:51 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 3,192 Times in 1,723 Posts
34-spot yday. 30-spot today. both coastal and in semi-muggy weather in the same area. rained on three separate times today but consisted of big, summertime raindrops vs a cloudburst/thunderstorm. the rain unlocked the native flora and the smells were amazing. cruised very slowly for approx 15 miles taking those smells in.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 08-09-23, 03:02 AM
arupaka

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
about 50 miles yesterday, most of it at full throttle. need to get me a cycle computer eh
Old 08-09-23, 03:10 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 440 Posts
Nailed the golden ratio on this morning's ride...51 miles and 5100' elevation gain. So far for the week...16 miles of hike-a-bike on the gravel bike yesterday evening and a 38 mile road ride the day before. Even briefly recaptured a Strava KOM on Monday's ride...but lost it again on Tuesday. I'm battling with a local kid over supremacy on a short, not very popular climb lol.

Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 08-09-23, 08:08 PM
Average Old Guy

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 13 Posts
How far did I ride WHAT??

Does riding my lawn mower over my 2 acres and my little old lady neighbors' 1.5 acres count??
Likes For Average Old Guy:
Old 08-09-23, 10:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
Nailed the golden ratio on this morning's ride...51 miles and 5100' elevation gain. So far for the week...16 miles of hike-a-bike on the gravel bike yesterday evening and a 38 mile road ride the day before. Even briefly recaptured a Strava KOM on Monday's ride...but lost it again on Tuesday. I'm battling with a local kid over supremacy on a short, not very popular climb lol.
Congrats on the ratio and win and loss. Very nice ride. Are those 50s or 60s?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-09-23, 10:08 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Quick day. 20 miles with 1500’. Was surprised by a 16% pitch, which made the 12% and < easy(er). No pic day - had to hustle to dinner date.

Hey Sierra, are those 50s or 60s?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-09-23, 10:10 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Originally Posted by rsbob
Congrats on the ratio and win and loss. Very nice ride. Are those 50s or 60s?
Thanks...I try to not take the Strava thing too seriously, but we've turned this into a friendly competition. He's only got a second on me and I know I've got a bit more in the tank. We're actually planning on meeting up for a ride next week, it's always cool to make new local riding friends. I live in a pretty popular cycling area, but very few of the cyclists are actually locals...there are only a handful of us that are riding these roads on a daily basis.

These are 50s, I think the frame makes them look deeper than they actually are. As deep as they are, they were noticeably lighter than the alloy DT Swiss wheels that came stock on this bike. I mostly like them, but they can be a bit of a handful on some of the higher-speed descents when the winds pick up.
Old 08-09-23, 10:19 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Thanks...I try to not take the Strava thing too seriously, but we've turned this into a friendly competition. He's only got a second on me and I know I've got a bit more in the tank. We're actually planning on meeting up for a ride next week, it's always cool to make new local riding friends. I live in a pretty popular cycling area, but very few of the cyclists are actually locals...there are only a handful of us that are riding these roads on a daily basis.

These are 50s, I think the frame makes them look deeper than they actually are. As deep as they are, they were noticeably lighter than the alloy DT Swiss wheels that came stock on this bike. I mostly like them, but they can be a bit of a handful on some of the higher-speed descents when the winds pick up.
I have the same in 60s and regret going so deep. When the wind is gusty I will swap out my front for a 30 and that helps. Wish they offered single wheels rather than sets. If I had it to do over again, probably would have gone with 45s, but on calm days I can really feel the 60 difference.

It’s cool about your friendly rivalry. I have met some good people on Strava and ride with them occasionally Smack talk is great fun. As an older guy, I am trying to get as many fastest segment times for the 65-70 group. Luckily I have a couple of years before I age-out.

Your climbs are epic. Keep it up.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-09-23, 11:06 PM
LarrySellerz

Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 356 Posts
8 miles, but crashed halfway through. Continued on because it was easier to get to a “base” of work than home. Think I have a couple bruised/broken ribs, in pretty bad shape. Was totally my fault, and funnily enough I was telling people yesterday that I was going to crash today because my bike was having issues. My crash was unrelated to the bike issues, but yeah weird timing.

there’s this girl at work who I’ve had a soft spot for a year or so now, but I think it’s just that I don’t really talk to girls/have no life so my mind is playing tricks on me. She has a long term boyfriend anyways. I messaged her to send healing vibes my way, I feel like women have a healing nature if they care about the person they are trying to heal. Like some long distance Reiki stuff. Don’t think her bf likes me very much, but whatever I won’t do anything. House manager gave me some opioids so I’m kind of out of it. It’s a bizarre sober living house, why does he even have opioids to give me? Hey at least he cares and is babying me so it’s working out nicely. I “need” stitches on my finger but that’s not happening.

crash happened in an intersection, I was taking a weird aggressive line and had to swerve back into the bike lane, but there was another cyclist I had just passed and I had the sudden thought that if he realized what I was doing and accelerated to run it with me, I could potentially cut him off when swerving back into the bike lane. My indecisiveness caused me to clip the back of a truck and took me out. The other cyclist was being a dick, I was like “**** that was a bad decision” and he’s just like “yeah that was dumb” or something he was being pretty condescending and didn’t unclip to pull my bike out of the road. Definitely didn’t realize his role in the crash, just thought I was giving cyclists a bad name. Like dude I instantly took fault I don’t need you to give me any grief. Asks “do you have broken bones” saying how messed up my hand looks, like dude get off your bicycle and help me don’t just say “wow you’re covered in blood, are you good, that was dumb.” So yeah I’m super salty and shouldn’t be taking it out on the rando cyclist.

cool thing about being a cyclist is the other vehicle has no recourse against you. The car I hit just drove off. What’s he gonna do, ask for my insurance? Get mad at the dude who is covered in blood? Not likely. If I was in a car that rear ended him it would have been this whole ordeal with cops and stuff.

So I get to work and the front gate is like “wow do you need medical assistance” and I’m like “no I’m just going to find my boss and tell him I can’t work the rest of the week.” So I ride around trying to find my partner, dude has no cell phone, and I can’t find his truck at the first couple buildings I check and eventually I get accosted by good samaritans who insisted that they call medical. Like 3 front gate people came and cleaned me up a bit, brought me to the doctor on site who said he couldn’t stitch me up because it didn’t happen at work. Was kind of embarrassing tbh I don’t like creating work for other people. I’m about to get a full time position, hopefully nobody in HR notices and cares about this occupational health visit.

sry for the blog post, feeling off because I have no tolerance to opioids so I’m a little out of it.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 08-09-23 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-09-23, 11:29 PM
LarrySellerz

but lost it again on Tuesday. I'm battling with a local kid over supremacy on a short, not very popular climb lol.
That sounds really fun. Best use of Strava
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 08-09-23, 11:54 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4058 Post(s)
Liked 7,658 Times in 3,072 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Was totally my fault ...
Definitely didn’t realize his role in the crash ...
By your own description of the event, it seems did nothing to cause the crash.

The other cyclist was being a dick, I was like “**** that was a bad decision” and he’s just like “yeah that was dumb” ...
So, you're upset because you did something dumb and he agreed with you?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-10-23, 02:58 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
By your own description of the event, it seems did nothing to cause the crash.

So, you're upset because you did something dumb and he agreed with you?
I was upset with his attitude and that he didn't immediately jump to my aid, but no hard feelings
Old 08-10-23, 06:00 AM
Cdubs

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Not far . Got about 3km into my ride and got a flat. Realized I left my repair kit on the counter at home while I was getting my bag ready. So I had a nice 3km walk back with the bike since it was too early in the morning to call anyone to pick me up. I really cannot think of any time I have left for a bike ride without my tool/repair kit but the day I leave it behind is the day I get a flat.
Old 08-10-23, 09:07 AM
Sierra_rider

I have the same in 60s and regret going so deep. When the wind is gusty I will swap out my front for a 30 and that helps. Wish they offered single wheels rather than sets. If I had it to do over again, probably would have gone with 45s, but on calm days I can really feel the 60 difference.

It’s cool about your friendly rivalry. I have met some good people on Strava and ride with them occasionally Smack talk is great fun. As an older guy, I am trying to get as many fastest segment times for the 65-70 group. Luckily I have a couple of years before I age-out.

I used to run 45s on one of my rim-brake bikes, that seemed to be the happy medium on wheel depth. That bike(Ridley Helium) eventually suffered a cracked chainstay, so that's why I'm on the Canyon nowadays. It's been a few years since the crack, but I'm debating on sending the frame down to Calfee for a repair. I love the Canyon, but have been thinking about building that Ridley back up as a "climbing specific" bike. Basically light weight and I'd run the 11-40 rear cassette on it. I ran that cassette on the Canyon for the Death Ride, it was a game changer for a long day in the mountains, but I wouldn't want that gearing on my normal rides.

My Strava "group" is the 180lb+ group...I'll never be lightweight enough to battle for the top of leaderboard on the long climbs, but I'm happy to be near the front in the 180-200lb group. Talking "aging" out of groups reminds me of an older friend I know from riding/racing dirt bikes. He's in his 80s now(still rides)...but he jokes about how every time he would "age" into a new racing class, he'd think that he'd dominate that class. However, the older guys that would be beating him a few years prior were beating him again in his new class.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 08-10-23, 10:30 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4058 Post(s)
Liked 7,658 Times in 3,072 Posts
I was upset with his attitude and that he didn't immediately jump to my aid ...
And yet, you declined help from other people that offered.
Old 08-10-23, 10:50 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked 2,254 Times in 1,124 Posts
Only have done 11 rides this year! 3 this month and 7 last month
Today did 28 miles and 30 last Sunday.
I am surprised how quickley its coming back. Planning on a ride on Saturday. with a target of 30 again.1200ft total with part being 9.9 % max on a 1 mile hill. (208ft elevation).

My ride:
P1050224 on Flickr
Old 08-10-23, 01:16 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
And yet, you declined help from other people that offered.
I'm not gonna post more about it here, but its a pet peeve of mine when another cyclist doesn't stop to help or acts inconvenienced by a crash. There is a difference between me declining aid 15 minutes after the indecent and being put in the position to decline aid 15 seconds after a brutal crash. Ive helped enough people and seen enough crashes for it to be a no brainer to get off the bike and make sure they are good before proceeding, and I expect the same from strangers. Its not asking too much. But yeah minor gripe
Old 08-10-23, 03:11 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I'm not gonna post more about it here, but its a pet peeve of mine when another cyclist doesn't stop to help or acts inconvenienced by a crash. There is a difference between me declining aid 15 minutes after the indecent and being put in the position to decline aid 15 seconds after a brutal crash. Ive helped enough people and seen enough crashes for it to be a no brainer to get off the bike and make sure they are good before proceeding, and I expect the same from strangers. Its not asking too much. But yeah minor gripe
By your own account, you pulled a dick move, endangering both yourself and him. I can see that leading to a less sympathetic disposition
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-10-23, 06:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3805 Post(s)
Liked 5,808 Times in 2,935 Posts
but its a pet peeve of mine when another cyclist doesn't stop to help
To be fair, he may not have been aware that you were a fellow cyclist.
Old 08-10-23, 07:04 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked 1,873 Times in 1,064 Posts

I've been real happy with my Bontrager Aeolus Pro 51's (disc) and Pro 5's (rim). Never had an issue with the wind on the front, and they roll really nice and the rear hubs are not stupid loud like some wheels are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.