Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Things your fellow commuters do that annoy you

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Things your fellow commuters do that annoy you

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-15, 11:04 PM
vol

Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
Yet I see pictures of them on their bikes and they look like the people in cars do in this country, - not a lot of smiles or grimaces.
Maybe because they are too used to it--like people are too used to driving in the U.S.--so much so that it's not exciting any more.
Old 02-03-15, 12:01 AM
tjspiel

Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
Maybe because they are too used to it--like people are too used to driving in the U.S.--so much so that it's not exciting any more.
I'm sure that is exactly it. They've been doing it their whole lives and it's just part of the daily routine like brushing your teeth.

They don't ride fast. They don't push themselves. The bikes aren't particularly responsive. It's just another nondescript 15 minutes (or whatever) out of their day. And while there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, there's a certain contingent in the commuting forum that holds that out as something we should aspire to. While part of me understands, another part is thinking: "why?" I think I like my commute way better.

But then I'm a person who prefers a sporty car over something more "practical". The only difference is that even in a sporty car there are limits on how fast you can drive. On a bike there are times you need to ride slower for safety reasons, but other times the only limit is what I'm physically able to do.

Last edited by tjspiel; 02-03-15 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-03-15, 12:17 AM
EvilWeasel

Bikes: Trekalized 7.Sequoia Elite+

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure that is exactly it. They've been doing it their whole lives and it's just part of the daily routine.

They don't ride fast. They don't push themselves. The bikes aren't particularly responsive.
Don't mistake me riding to work, hung over and grumpy at 16 mph on the truckster hybrid for a dui case. The carbon tt bike is at home waiting on the week end. I assure you, this grungy, bored commuter will show you what's up, when i go full Sunday morning cycle ******.
Old 02-03-15, 12:25 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Liked 219 Times in 132 Posts
Bicycles have always been a means of transport in my city. Kids and rare sportsmen used it for other things than those. I grew up like that. However, I LOVE ridin bicycles. So every commute (well, almost) is fun for me. Joyride. When it's nice and hot, I ride motorcycle as well, which is also great, but I prefer bicycle. However, I never saw myself as a "cyclist". Here it is like walking. People who walk don't call themselves "walkers" ("Walkers, run!!!" ). People who drive to work don't consider themselfes to be some special "drivers", or car enthusiasts.

Due to hipster culture coming, now there are lots of people getting into all the "I'm a cyclist" thing... I know some who take a bicycle to a critical mass event, then never ride it until the next critical mass. But they are cyclists. There are also people who came to my (pretty cycling) city and took up cycling. Many of them ride a lot, but get all excited about it. Man, they are "cyclists!" now. Both these groups (hipsters and newly discovered cyclists) are all about spreading the word, "look how many bicycles, isn't it great?!", while I'm (perhaps old and grumpy) all about: "ARRRRr! Now even bicycle lanes will have traffic jams!"
Old 02-03-15, 12:43 AM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw my first fellow commuter today. I've seen them closer to the middle of downtown but never locally. Was too surprised to notice him doing anything annoying, and was moving too fast to do anything other than give him the nod.
Old 02-03-15, 01:05 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,599 Times in 1,079 Posts
Personally, I'm insanely jealous of infrastructure they have in Denmark and the Netherlands. Yet I see pictures of them on their bikes and they look like the people in cars do in this country, - not a lot of smiles or grimaces.
Are those pictures of DK/NL bike commuters in contrast to the pictures of U.S. bike commuters who with few exceptions appear to be invisible?

Where are the pictures of grinning/giggling, excited, happy-go-lucky U.S. bike commuters?
Old 02-03-15, 01:13 AM
EvilWeasel

Bikes: Trekalized 7.Sequoia Elite+

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Are those pictures of DK/NL bike commuters in contrast to the pictures of U.S. bike commuters who with few exceptions appear to be invisible?

Where are the pictures of grinning/giggling, excited, happy-go-lucky U.S. bike commuters?
I was happy and smiling for the picture, but the camera car cut me off so i punched him in the face at the next traffic light.
Old 02-03-15, 07:01 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Liked 2,764 Times in 1,283 Posts
Back to being annoyed...I was accused of riding to work without a light. One of my Co-workers was upset that he almost hit, he thought, me. Not! I saw the guy a few days later and yes, no lights. Plus he's driving down roads with no street lights.