Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-16, 12:04 PM
Yep
no cat contains

Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by dmotoguy
Current status: just tested at 275w threshold, weight at 86kg. Have been doing more vo2 on the trainer (trainer road) and raced 3 crits this week. Just set a new 1 minute record at 500w, on my third day in a row of racing..was just trying to hang with light guys up a punchy climb.

3 weeks out from my goal crit, Boise Twilight.. want to win the 4/5 and then get my 3 upgrade.

Is there a TSB planning tool out there?
I want to plan my next few weeks so I hit a specific CTL/ATL/TSB right before.
A buddy of mine is working on this Tacit Training right now. The premise is that you can enter in your goal events and then on a daily basis the app will suggest workout load. It's free and it's beta. I think he would tell you that it's still fairly raw, but it's a nice simple idea that doesn't exist in other apps.
Old 06-26-16, 01:33 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
There's also spreadsheets out there free to download, or make your own. I enter projected data a few weeks ahead to help with planning load, but I don't really follow a plan.
Old 06-26-16, 01:33 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

3 circles, from left to right. Ex breaks my back. I have twins. I return to work.

There is a glimmer of hope there at the end.
Old 06-26-16, 02:36 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Liked 3,881 Times in 2,028 Posts
Kicked down 5 hrs today, probably the last time that I put in such a big ride till mid Sept or so.

Up next: food!

later: more food, and Game of Thrones.
Old 06-26-16, 02:37 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by Ygduf

3 circles, from left to right. Ex breaks my back. I have twins. I return to work.

There is a glimmer of hope there at the end.
Fudgy what software is that again? Is that Cycling Analytics? If so, what is the monthly fee?
Old 06-26-16, 02:52 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Fudgy what software is that again? Is that Cycling Analytics? If so, what is the monthly fee?
yes, cheap, like $6/month?
Old 06-26-16, 02:55 PM
topflightpro

Liked 693 Times in 439 Posts
My shoulder isn't quite healed yet. It's still a bit swollen and still aches a good bit.

I went out for the local hammer ride yesterday. My legs felt great, but I pulled off the ride early because my wife doesn't want me doing too much until my shoulder fully heals. It was quite frustrating to not continue the ride.
Old 06-26-16, 03:48 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Flat tire, ride home, buy new tire, go back out, do 2x15 fartlek things, psyche self up for third set annnnd all of a sudden can barely breathe. First time I think I've had a real exercise induced asthma attack. I was diagnosed with it 15 years ago but I've never had it actually happen so I don't have an inhaler.

Laid on side of the road for a bit but it seemed to make it worse so i sucked it up and coasted to the lodge at the bottom. Pay attention to them air quality warnings...
Old 06-26-16, 03:54 PM
rankin116

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
My shoulder isn't quite healed yet. It's still a bit swollen and still aches a good bit.

I went out for the local hammer ride yesterday. My legs felt great, but I pulled off the ride early because my wife doesn't want me doing too much until my shoulder fully heals. It was quite frustrating to not continue the ride.
Heading in the right direction though! I like where her head's at too, don't wear yourself out before crossroads!

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Flat tire, ride home, buy new tire, go back out, do 2x15 fartlek things, psyche self up for third set annnnd all of a sudden can barely breathe. First time I think I've had a real exercise induced asthma attack. I was diagnosed with it 15 years ago but I've never had it actually happen so I don't have an inhaler.

Laid on side of the road for a bit but it seemed to make it worse so i sucked it up and coasted to the lodge at the bottom. Pay attention to them air quality warnings...
That's scary **** man, I have it too. I've only had one day like that though, and I usually carry the inhaler now. It's worse for me in the winter/drier air.

Last edited by rankin116; 06-26-16 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-26-16, 04:00 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

It was totally unexpected haha. All of a sudden it felt like I couldn't fully exhale and could barely inhale. Getting indoors with some AC seemed to help, but I am definitely done for the day.
Old 06-26-16, 04:16 PM
rankin116

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took a week long sorta vacation. Got a couple rides in during, one good solid ride with the old crew. Came back to NC on Friday and did 3:15, 58 solo miles yesterday, 3:20, 72 miles today following some fast dudes around. Powertap batteries died today so it's an estimate but around 450 TSS for the weekend. Stick a fork in me, I'm cooked.
Old 06-26-16, 04:27 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
need to get into the habit of kicking myself into productivity, and not just become a sack of potatos after a ride.
Old 06-26-16, 04:44 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

scary stuff KP.
Old 06-26-16, 04:49 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Liked 638 Times in 340 Posts
Rode 23 miles on Martha's Vineyard yesterday with my wife. Avg power like 75w lol
Old 06-26-16, 05:27 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely scary stuff TKP. This time of year I carry my inhaler with me.
Old 06-26-16, 06:35 PM
grolby

Liked 92 Times in 63 Posts

Yikes. Glad you're okay.

PMC (well, the CA equivalent) says I'm fresh as a daisy after racing three days of the Longsjo crits, with a TSB of 8. But it's a lie, I'm blasted.

I'm also putting out lower numbers than I was in March. My bout of illness and fatigue in April/May really screwed me. Pretty much missed four week of build, and since then I've been racing most weekends. I think it's time for a little break. Road season is mostly done for me, anyway. Only real goal left is Hilltowns.
Old 06-26-16, 06:37 PM
grolby

Liked 92 Times in 63 Posts
Used my inhaler before Greenfield, got palpitations during the race. I can hardly decide if the thing really helps me or not. I have episodes only rarely, and they're not attacks so much as difficulty breathing deep due to a tight belly.
Old 06-26-16, 06:39 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It was totally unexpected haha. All of a sudden it felt like I couldn't fully exhale and could barely inhale. Getting indoors with some AC seemed to help, but I am definitely done for the day.
you mentioned air quality. was that one of the contributors of the episode? what will you do now, carry an inhaler?
Old 06-26-16, 07:11 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Originally Posted by spectastic
you mentioned air quality. was that one of the contributors of the episode? what will you do now, carry an inhaler?
In the past on especially hot days with air quality warnings I'd sometimes get a little tickle/pressure in my chest on longer (4-5hr) rides, so this fits that pattern, just taken up a bunch of notches. It's never prevented me from finishing a ride and I've dealt with it afterward by hopping in the shower and huffing steam. It's never been more than "this is a thing that happens when it is a toxic summer day and it makes sense because it sucks outside."

This was much, much worse than usual though, it started with the same symptoms which is why I ignored it during my second set. It could be related to doing intervals 3 hours in, but they weren't particularly crazy, just over unders. The only thing that makes sense is the air quality alert along with it being 90+ out, that seems to be what this has in common with the more minor past occurrences.

It'd probably be dumb not to see a doctor, so I'll likely go to one. I'd rather not need an inhaler, but given the choice between inhaler and feeling like I'm going to pass out while I coast down a mountain, I'll take the inhaler.

Mostly it's just annoying that I missed out on 70-80 extra tss today.
Old 06-26-16, 07:23 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Or, maybe I should ride in the morning instead of leaving at noon to do intervals when it's 90+ and there are air quality warnings. This seems more like I didn't read the human body instruction manual and then got all annoyed when the pieces didn't fit together correctly.
Old 06-26-16, 11:53 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Yeah, this may be something that you just have to work around.
Old 06-27-16, 02:13 AM
phil_k

Bikes: N/A

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So just did a Jedermann "race" in Germany (glorified grand fondo)... The field was huge, 500+, and it was (near the front) the fastest ride I have ever seen. The guys who finished at the front were in organized teams, with matching bikes and a team bus. I got dropped from that group long before the finish. Still finished with a faster average speed than any race I did in the DC area (at three times the distance). I think I saw the first group did 27 mph for 73 miles on a not-flat course. And none of those guys have a racing license.

So while I call it a glorified grand fondo, I've never seen anything like it. I also don't know if they're all this fast. A couple seasons of this and I'd be able to go back and sleepwalk my way through the races I did back home. Makes for some good training. Anyone else do these?
Old 06-27-16, 08:01 AM
furiousferret

Liked 471 Times in 251 Posts

If you ever get a bad attack with no inhaler the best thing to do is to relax and breathe in and out of your nose as slowly as you can. It helps balance the co2 and will relax the lungs and may alleviate the attack. It doesn't work fast, but it does work.

Glad you're okay.
Old 06-27-16, 08:59 AM
cb3

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac sl4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well went out to a ironman 70.3 as part of relay. Just really wanted to drill the TT bike since i missed the state TTs. Man did it hurt. Went like 2:23 for the 56 miles, so i was pretty happy despite dropping my only bottle twice within the first .5 miles due to a steep climb and some bumpy timing mats. Some good climbs and some strong-ish winds on the back 15-20 miles. Started in the very back of the field due to wave starts - probably yelled "left" 300-400 times. Man, there are some scary bike handling skills in tri-land.

Woke up this morning and my entire body hurts.. guess that's what i get for riding the TT bike like 4 times in total this year. Also, my 1 water bottle and 2 gels the entire ride followed by several beers did not help but the beers were so good!
Old 06-27-16, 10:32 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Midseason break is drawing to a close. 3 weeks off of racing, not really training in a super structured way, but doing a couple of fast group rides and trying to get one Z4 and one Z5 solo day in each week. Today was a satisfyingly solid Z5 day, thanks to getting a decent night's sleep last night thanks to this being the first Monday the kids are out of school. A few good form sprints at the end too.

CTL/ATL are higher than when I last raced and I'm looking forward to racing again. Planning to do Rockleigh this week, and the Cielo stage race next weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.