Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today? 2011 Edition.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today? 2011 Edition.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 03:24 PM
dcb23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EKW in DC
Gotta pick up some brake pads on the way home. Current sets are just about dead.
I think I need some too, my pads have been on this bike since 1998.

Originally Posted by EKW in DC
Winds 25, gusting to 35. Fortunately it was as much a crosswind as it was a headwind most of the way, but still less than desirable. Besides the wind, it was a really nice ride in. Temps mid-30s, bright and sunny.

Just heard on the local NPR station that wind gusts up to 50 mph are possible during the day. Could be one heck of a ride home!
Ride in this morning was tough, just about got stopped dead in my tracks out on the Mall. One massive gust came and I fought it all the way past Washington Monument then down to Lincoln. I was barely moving.

Now if the winds stay the same I am in for a nice push home
Old 02-08-11, 04:59 PM
Catgrrl70

Bikes: noyb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's sunny. Sunglasses necessary sunny. I may even ride home with *no jacket* on this afternoon. Provided it doesn't start raining w/in the next hour.
Old 02-08-11, 07:24 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Liked 45 Times in 34 Posts
Bike to work this morning was 40F and raining.
Commute home was about 30F and windy, took some photos:

Snowmountains by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

Snowmountains2 by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 02-08-11, 09:22 PM
dcb23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amazing pic 1nterceptor, wow!

As expected, I got a huge push home.

Taking a day off to go skiing tomorrow, see you all Thursday.
Old 02-08-11, 10:46 PM
jdgesus 
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow indeed!

next step is recumbent.

my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2
Old 02-08-11, 10:47 PM
jdgesus 
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my commute:

"CARS........ WHYYYYYY?!?!"

next step is recumbent.

my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2
Old 02-09-11, 05:43 AM
fletchh

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just plain cold at 15 F ( -9 C). Siince there was not much melting yesterday, there was almost no black ice this morning, and most of the snow has retreated up the curb into the grassy areas. This morning was 20 degrees F colder than yesterday, and it is trully amazing what a difference a day makes. More of the same tomorrow, but after that, it will move up into the 50s F ( low teens C) by Sunday. It will be nice to see those temps again.
Old 02-09-11, 07:23 AM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
19f Not a bad morning, some headwind. Why is it I have headwind both ways almost everyday, it actually doesn't seem to matter which direction im riding I have head wind**********?
Old 02-09-11, 07:29 AM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Was warm today, about 42F, I didn't even have to cover my face! Warm front is coming through and temps will be up in the 50's and 60's once the rain goes through.

I just picked up a ThirdEye eyeglass mirror, and it's taking some getting used to. Also picked up a rigid fork for my MTB to raise the handlebars and eliminate squishy stoplight sprints, will have to put that on this weekend, or maybe tomorrow night.
Old 02-09-11, 07:54 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
-28C but I decided to ride anyway since I already missed 1 of my 3 commutes for this week on Monday. Swapped out the clipless for platforms and wore my heavier boots and electric socks. I didn't turn the electric socks on and my feet got cold toward the end of the ride. I didn't want to bother stopping and fiddling with the batteries and snaps, which can be tricky enough to do while inside. Regular pedals don't work very well with my boots and I could never find a comfortable position. I have clips for the pedals but the boots are too big to fit in them.

The rest of me was toasty warm. 4 upper body and 3 lower body layers. I still haven't needed to add an upper body wind shell, but keep it in a pannier just in case. In addition to my stretch balaclava I also wore my beanie which may have been a bit much.

I think this may be the last of the extreme cold, starting tomorrow the forecast is for temperatures just below 0C.
Old 02-09-11, 09:28 AM
daijoubu2k8

Bikes: Velosport Appalache 15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride in, barely above freezing. No surprises this morning. The police had wrapped up the search around Burnaby Lake and were all cleaned up and gone by this morning.
Old 02-09-11, 09:29 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor

Snowmountains by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

Snowmountains2 by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

Whoah. That's ALOT of snow.
Old 02-09-11, 09:35 AM
fsc

Bikes: only have one at the moment :( But at least its a CrossCheck so its multipurpose and STEEL.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
somewheres around -10F this morning, but I slept WAY late so I didnt ride.

My commute to my second job last night was nice. Sunny and warm. But was made interesting when I almost got clipped by the mirror on an 18 wheeler who then almost right hooked me at speed turning onto the interstate here. Why do some people just feel the need to be a D****EBAG?

Last edited by fsc; 02-09-11 at 09:36 AM. Reason: apparently D.Bag gets edited out...
Old 02-09-11, 09:36 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

chilly. 12F with a steady breeze. Everything was fine after I got warmed up. There were a few patches of black ice, but the Nokians had plenty of grip.
Old 02-09-11, 09:37 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Temps in the low 20sF/minus single digits C this AM. Mercifully yesterday's wind is no longer, so the cold didn't feel too bad. Yesterday afternoon's commute with temps just above freezing felt colder than this morning's ride. Still looking fwd to a warmup after the next few days.

Starting to get a little annoyed with the LBS I ordered my LHT frame from. The order was placed two weeks ago, at which point I was told it should take about a week for everything to come in. Contacted them yesterday and was told to give them through the end of the week. Hope they don't jerk me around too long. I've been dreaming of the new bike for almost two years! I suggest they not F with me. :-\
Old 02-09-11, 09:40 AM
LAG-bolt

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway Hybrid (2010)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The commute home last night was great ... 45F and sunny. This morning was a little frosty in spots, 32F, calm and clear.
Old 02-09-11, 09:54 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Wow

In NYC the snow is mostly gone from the main roads. It was warm for the last couple of days, in upper 40s. Last night it freakishly dropped to tens. 16F this morning
Old 02-09-11, 11:56 AM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was 18 degrees with a 35 mph north wind and sleeting hard when I left for work this morning, so I drove.

I rode to work Monday and Yesterday, and yesterday morning I had the first close call with a vehicle that I've had in quite a while.

I was westbound on Altamesa Blvd, a divided with 6 lanes street. I was in the right lane with no vehicle in sight in any direction except for the pickup coming up behind me. When he got really close to me without moving over to the center lane, I moved right up against the curb.

Just about the time his bumper got even with my back wheel, with him just to the left of me, he saw me and did a big lurch back and forth from being startled. How could he not see the safety triangle on the back of my bike or the Bike Planet Superflash on the back of my helmet just at eye level for him?

He was shook up enough that he turned right on the next neighborhood street, pulled over, and stopped. That was also my turn and I gave him a few choice comments about his driving skills as I passed him. The look on his face made me think he may have been drunk. Sheesh.
Old 02-10-11, 05:51 AM
fletchh

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold and breezy with wind chill 17 F ( -9 C). I was not expecting ground covering this morning. The secondary roads were fine, but the side streets were snow covered ice, so I kept the speed down. It freshened up the old stuff, but I can't say that I care.
Old 02-10-11, 07:05 AM
mjw16

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like another week (or two) off of the bike for me (I can feel my legs turning to jello already). In my seemingly endless saga of flats, mechanical problems, and plain old bad luck, my rr. wheel broke on Monday's ride in. After having just crossed the 14th Street bridge, my rr. tire blew out. I was frustrated but, resigned, I've set a record for flats since April and this wasn't unexpected. So, after changing the tube in relative darkness, I noticed that a 6" part of the rim's braking surface had peeled away from the rest of the rim. Since there was no sense in trying to top off the tube or attempting to ride-the tube would push through and pop again-I started pushing the bike the rest of the way in. Well, it was about a 20 minute walk in to work where I inspected the rim-no chance of fixing it and limping home in the afternoon. So, my bike has been sitting in my office as I figure out what to do, I don't have a back up. After mulling it over for a while I've decided on two things: 1) I'm going to try to get the wheel warrantied as it's less than a year old and, obviously, defective and, 2) will no longer use the Shimano XT/Mavic Open Pro combination that has proven so unreliable and frustrating these last few years. My last 2 rr. hubs have needed constant service and continue to grind and develop play-even after an axle replacement and total re-build of one. In addition, my last set of Open Pro's creeked relentlessly and this one had a catostrophic failure after roughly 8 months of relatively light use. So, I plunked down a deposit on a custom set of wheels that should be ready by next Friday. They are pricey at $772 but, should be much more reliable with better service/support should anything go wrong (I'm told to anticipate that Mavic will continue to be SOB's and deny a replacement of my current rim, we'll see). In conjunction with a local wheel builder, we spec'd out a set of White Industry M15's and Velocity Chukkers with Sapim nipples and DT Swiss spokes in a 36 hole config. I was advised that the White's are comparable to Chris Kings and that the Velocitys are much more rugged than the Open Pro's. In addition, they're more servicable and the Titanium free hub won't develop the grooves and looseness of a steel-bodied one. My wife wasn't happy with the cost, especially since I just bought the last pair so recently, but realizes that the bike has been my main transportation (nearly exclusively) for almost 10 years and, in the long run, I'm still saving a fortune over driving/parking/Metro expenses. Hopefully I'll be back on the bike soon to continue my daily ride and participate in the lunch time rides that a few of us just started at work, we'll see if there's a significant increase in reliability.
Old 02-10-11, 07:25 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Wimped out and drove today after some snow showers started right after I got up. The local forecasters had called for 1-2" of snow overnight but the roads were clear and nothing coming down when I got up at 5:45 am. However, as soon as I started getting ready for my commute, the snow started. That did it for me because the drivers get absolutely nuts around here when it snows, and my legs needed a day of rest anyway. It ended up snowing about 1" by the time I got to work.
Old 02-10-11, 07:41 AM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
17f Nice ride in, the new back wheel rode perfect, it is a little odd to hear a free wheel
Old 02-10-11, 07:57 AM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Yesterday, was 58F and I got soaked the whole way home. I managed to drop my third-eye mirror, so I had to circle around in the rain and traffic to retrieve it.

Today was 34F and very windy, so I crawled in at 9MPH. At least the weather's cleared up. Planning on pulling the bike down for maintenance and swapping the fork tonight, so I might drive tomorrow if I can't get it back together in time.
Old 02-10-11, 09:15 AM
canyoneagle

Was up most of the night attending to a sick dog. Slept in as much as I could and drove today =(
Old 02-10-11, 09:15 AM
fsc

Bikes: only have one at the moment :( But at least its a CrossCheck so its multipurpose and STEEL.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
17F and a gorgeous morning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.