Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-17, 11:53 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
@tetonrider

Me and or some close friends have some interest in those parts. I will PM you over the next 24 about interest / lack thereof.

I am going to admit that the DSLR is sooooo tempting. I used to do a bit of photography, haven't for a while, now have debated getting back into it....
sure thing. no particular rush.

lots of great cameras out there these days, and mirrorless systems are interesting, but for me i still appreciate the contours of a DSLR--and this one is built for life. the action shots i've taken with it are amazing. (also winds up being super good with a fast/low-light lens like a 50/1.8 for capturing kids or events in dark places/no flash.)

the only reason i'm selling is i replaced it with another DSLR (1DXii).

in some ways i miss the 1.3 crop factor of the 1D4.
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I've thought about it, but I've done some paid photo work in the past, and it can be a grind. I would def do it just for the hobby aspect, though. I still have the 1st gen 5d and it holds up well
yeah.... would not recommend it as a way to make money. i mean, you MIGHT make money, but if it's for fun it will most certainly be better.

i've made money from photography, but it's never been my primary thing. kind of would like to shoot racing, though i never have except for some shots, say, at an NRC crit where i raced earlier in the day and watched the pros.

the 5d was (is?) a great camera. i moved on from it only because it wasn't fast enough...for me. the 1d bodies are also better (again, for me) as they are weather-sealed. that's relevant here in the winter. it is heavier than the 5d series.
Old 07-08-17, 11:02 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Liked 3,480 Times in 1,823 Posts
Volunteered this morning at the track from 6-9, helping paint. Going to volunteer at TNR too next week, doing reg. and lap cards. I figure since I'm too lazy to re-do my tubular job on the track wheels I may as well stay involved somehow .

Just being up close and personal with the track like that made me want to race, so maybe I'll get to the tire job sooner now.
Old 07-10-17, 10:57 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Liked 374 Times in 256 Posts
Speaking of Water coolers...
I think USAC needs to allow feeds in crits. (edit: it is allowed 3D6 - with referee permission) This weekend 80 min in 95 degrees and there was a 18mph hill that would have worked great for that.

Precedent:
2017 National crits U23 and Pro both had feeds.
Pros started at ~8:30PM, it was "cool" high 80s and they had a reduced time due to reduced light. But they still had a feed.
Victorville Crit June 2016 was a flat crit - 113 degees F where feeds were allowed.

Another sport that has no rules/laws for feeds or water breaks is soccer, although players may get water at any time. Rio Olympics had water breaks.

Last edited by Doge; 07-10-17 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-10-17, 10:58 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Psssh no way that's crazy
Old 07-10-17, 11:38 AM
mattm
**** that

Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Speaking of Water coolers...
I think USAC needs to allow feeds in crits. This weekend 80 min in 95 degrees and there was a 18mph hill that would have worked great for that.

Precedent:
2017 National crits U23 and Pro both had feeds.
Pros started at ~8:30PM, it was "cool" high 80s and they had a reduced time due to reduced light. But they still had a feed.
Victorville Crit June 2016 was a flat crit - 113 degees F where feeds were allowed.

Another sport that has no rules/laws for feeds or water breaks is soccer, although players may get water at any time. Rio Olympics had water breaks.
No.

Last thing crits need is a bunch of bottles littering the ground..

Two bottles should be enough for any crit, right?

my race videos
Old 07-10-17, 11:49 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
2 bottles will last 80 minutes in 95 degrees. They'll get nasty warm, but it's enough water.

An 18 mph hill in a crit means 700-800+ watts. Tough to grab a bottle while doing that. And if you miss it goes careening down the hill.

Also tough to grab a bottle at 28 mph though. I'd rather carry 2 bottles than risk losing my hydration into the peloton at that speed.

I guess if you are on the back of the pack, but who wants to be there? Back of the break might work (as in elite natz) but if I'm in the break I'm too redlined to grab a bottle!
Old 07-10-17, 11:57 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by mattm
No.

Last thing crits need is a bunch of bottles littering the ground..

Two bottles should be enough for any crit, right?
Two bottles are not enough. Esp in high those from other locations/climates. Victorville last year 5~6 bottles were used (108-113F) per rider. More for pouring over heads.
Daniel drank two bottles and lost >5 lbs in 80 min Sunday.

Bottles need to be kept out of the way, not banned. In Kermesses you can feed any time and any where. Riders and feeders learn to get out of the way.

Here is a clip of the U23 feed. IMO it should have been from the other side, as right here it was in-line with the group. But Nats had it and Pro Nats had it. It was not as hot there as some of these SoCal races.
Old 07-10-17, 12:06 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Absurd. Wear an ice sock if you need to. If you need to grab a feed in an 80 minute event you're straight up doing it wrong.
Old 07-10-17, 01:01 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
the sprinklers were going at one of our crits a couple years back and we'd ride through the spray each lap. It was ~100f and it felt awesome.

No one needs to drink more than 2 full bottles in a crit. My sweat-rate is absurd, like ~6lbs/hour. Your gut can only absorb so much and 40oz will leave me ~3lbs dehydrated after 1 hour. That's nothing.
Old 07-10-17, 01:08 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They do put pockets on jerseys. Tossing the extra bottle when you grab the one from your jersey is much much much much safer and smarter.
Old 07-10-17, 01:12 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Daniel should try being fat. When I sweat my adipose tissue just deflates, like a camel.
Old 07-10-17, 01:17 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
Daniel should try being fat. When I sweat my adipose tissue just deflates, like a camel.

Demain, on roule!
Old 07-10-17, 02:09 PM
mattm
**** that

Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Absurd. Wear an ice sock if you need to. If you need to grab a feed in an 80 minute event you're straight up doing it wrong.
This. It might be tough on someone coming from a cooler climate, but you gotta acclimate! Just like with altitude.

my race videos
Old 07-10-17, 02:49 PM
topflightpro

Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
I remember being in a crit a couple years ago that was only 50 min, and it was so hot, my ice sock melted at the finish line. About 5 min. in, three guys attacked, and we all just let them ride away, happy to know that someone still had it in them to race. The rest of us just road around the course until the race was over. No one had any real interest in putting in effort that day.
Old 07-10-17, 03:04 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Ygduf
the sprinklers were going at one of our crits a couple years back and we'd ride through the spray each lap. It was ~100f and it felt awesome.

No one needs to drink more than 2 full bottles in a crit. My sweat-rate is absurd, like ~6lbs/hour. Your gut can only absorb so much and 40oz will leave me ~3lbs dehydrated after 1 hour. That's nothing.
Its not just drinking. It can be for cooling when there are no sprinklers. Water on body will reduce water sweating. Ice socks, water for head etc.

Rule 3D6 allows feeding if the referee says so.
If the mild 85 degree evening national pro race needed a feed, hard to say near 100 degree 1:00 race didn't.

June 2016 Victorville 108F-113F feed on flats. Everyone showed up with two bottles, everyone (that finished) took several more.

Rule 3D6 allows feeding if the referee says so.
If the mild 85 degree evening national pro race needed a feed, hard to say near 100 degree 1:00 race didn't.
Old 07-10-17, 03:14 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is asking you to relinquish the ability to expand your current argument over a couple pages. What do you support doing if the temp drops below 68 F in California races?

Think of the children, doge. THINK OF THE CHILDREN.
Old 07-10-17, 03:18 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

I will be formally petitioning NYSBRA and NEBRA requesting firetrucks be placed in the race caravans providing a light cooling mist on days hotter than 80º
Old 07-10-17, 03:45 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So ... if the official decides on the day to allow crit feeds, does that mean it's neutral feed? Team feed? Friend feed? What if I'm a rider that drove there solo and have no support? Seems a bit unfair when racing against a team that brings a support troop.
Old 07-10-17, 04:52 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by hack
So ... if the official decides on the day to allow crit feeds, does that mean it's neutral feed? Team feed? Friend feed? What if I'm a rider that drove there solo and have no support? Seems a bit unfair when racing against a team that brings a support troop.
I don't know. I would think they could clarify it. If over 90F and over 60min then..., if over 100F and over 45min then... if over 110F whatever. 110F plus crits happen, 100F plus happen more, esp adding the feels-like index.

The big deal is they did it at Nationals, for pros, which was much more mild than yesterday, and had no minors. So whatever the policy was for that, should be applied to lower levels - IMO. A policy dealing with heat/environmental things (including lightning, thunder etc.) needs to be part of any national authority (so cycling, football, soccer....). And especially when minors are involved. I don't think there is one.

The Chief Referee at collegiate nationals is now (July 5th) the new USAC Technical Director. He was also the CR in Rio Olympics where many sports were deviating from rules to deal with the heat. I'm fine letting them figure it out, but right now...it is not figured out.
Old 07-10-17, 05:07 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by hack
Adding.
It is an anything goes feed.
If you don't have support - someone else will feed you.
Or another rider can feed you.

The penalty for an Irregular Feed is a warning or relegation in C, D and E races. So we are not talking the level of folding a number here.
Old 07-10-17, 07:45 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to let the above CA joke make it seem like I disagree with you in spirit. This really has a feel of someone standing on the sidelines looking for a problem to fix instead of solving an issue on the ground that needs dealt with though.

I lived in very close proximity to the Wisconsin state RR course for a number of years. Without fail every year conditions were 30 mph winds, temps in the high 90's, and high humidity that made racing a potentially dangerous endeavor. If someone needed a bottle you gave it to them and everyone needed at least one bottle every lap. Which happened on the finishing climb or false flat near the line with absolutely no issue. If the situation on the ground is endangering junior riders you have every right to step up and ask for a humane decision that will be carried out to everyone's benefit.

As I stated above, carrying a third/fourth bottle in back jersey pockets is always going to be a better option safety wise in a top tier U23 or collegiate crit when conditions are hard.
Old 07-10-17, 09:06 PM
Doge

You might as well just get rid of feeds altogether. It is a USAC rule associated with criteriums, not a UCI one. It is an old rule and it isn't even followed err - the Chief Referee exercises their option to allow a feed, at the top event in the country.

If the USAC mission is to achieve sustained international racing success while fostering a shared commitment to safety, integrity, and the joy of cycling, then allowing what cyclist are allowed in most road races in most of the world - esp in extreme heat, seems a reasonable step.

I'm pretty sure most our cyclists can learn to deal with water bottles and feeds like the rest of the world. Think of it as training.

Last edited by Doge; 07-10-17 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-10-17, 09:25 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I started a on 4x10 schedule at work today. 10 hour days feel really long, but with the amount of time I'll be spending in meetings this week, it should be bearable. I get Fridays off which is super nice now with the riding and will be even better in the winter with the skiing.

Commuting by bike into work tomorrow so I can go straight from there to a group ride afterwards then head home after the group ride by bike.
Old 07-10-17, 09:32 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doge, I'm done giving your politicizing of non-issues any attention. Best of luck convincing anyone short yourself of this convoluted reasoning.
Old 07-10-17, 09:50 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by miyata man
Doge, I'm done giving your politicizing of non-issues any attention. Best of luck convincing anyone short yourself of this convoluted reasoning.
I post things here for discussion. I certainly don't politicize them, there is no campaign. When I have a real issue I e-mail or call the person directly. Maybe, I'll talk to, call or ask someone else about it first. But BF is for fun and discussion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.