Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-23, 06:48 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
I graduated from high school in 1981. That's longer than some here have been alive and I'm one of the younger ones here!
Sad.
Born in '82, so...
Old 01-06-23, 06:54 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I mean, you're kvetching about binning some chargers and cables, but in the context of upgrading and then binning electronics that prolly shouldn't need to upgraded and binned. I think that the planned obsolescence of devices is much more problematic than minor casualties caused by moving towards more stuff to being interchangeable.
It is, but we're also literally talking about unnecessarily wiping out a bunch of chargers and cables that were fine and didn't need to be changed. So yeah I'm going to kvetch about other things being planned into obsolescence.

However, by settling onto the "old" connectors, I'm preserving the parts I have for another three years.

And I will not cease being annoyed by this, no.
Old 01-06-23, 07:04 PM
Mojo31
-------

Liked 6,706 Times in 3,642 Posts
I ran into a rather annoying thing today. Went to lunch in a place in Dallas with the wife and son. Got the bill and noticed a $2.37 credit card fee on a $65 tab (3.5%).

I had heard of places doing that, but it’s the first time that I’ve noticed it on a bill.

I have seen “health care” fees on restaurant tabs in Austin. That’s annoying as well.

Thoughts?
Old 01-06-23, 07:08 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I mean, you're kvetching about binning some chargers and cables, but in the context of upgrading and then binning electronics that prolly shouldn't need to upgraded and binned. I think that the planned obsolescence of devices is much more problematic than minor casualties caused by moving towards more stuff to being interchangeable.
Its all about faster charging. And sometimes wireless charging.
Old 01-06-23, 07:24 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,462 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
... wiping out a bunch of chargers and cables that were fine and didn't need to be changed.
For you. For others, every move to or from an Apple device (or any other manufacturer that eschews industry standards in favor of proprietary connections) means additional waste. And let's just call it what it was: just one more way to nudge people away from switching to a different ecosystem on their next phone/tablet/laptop purchase.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-06-23, 07:38 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 2,064 Times in 1,444 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I ran into a rather annoying thing today. Went to lunch in a place in Dallas with the wife and son. Got the bill and noticed a $2.37 credit card fee on a $65 tab (3.5%).

I had heard of places doing that, but it’s the first time that I’ve noticed it on a bill.

I have seen “health care” fees on restaurant tabs in Austin. That’s annoying as well.

Thoughts?
I don't think the management goal is for more people to start paying in cash, so essentially a new fee.
Old 01-06-23, 07:43 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,536 Times in 4,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I don't think the management goal is for more people to start paying in cash, so essentially a new fee.
They may prefer cash, if they are paying kitchen staff under the table or happen to be running a money laundering operation out of the place

I bet they got a sweet PPP grant.
Old 01-06-23, 07:52 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
They may prefer cash, if they are paying kitchen staff under the table or happen to be running a money laundering operation out of the place
I suppose that's possible if it's on the smaller side.
Old 01-06-23, 07:53 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Liked 3,440 Times in 1,973 Posts

Thoughts?
about a month ago I saw it for the first time. I think it was a 3% fee on credit AND debit cards. Total BS. Might have to start paying with quarters and dimes. Remember, the consumer has power to go on strike. About 10 years ago I stopped going to a national restaurant chain after a bad experience. 2 of them in my area went belly up. I had nothing to do with their demise but it felt good. Real good in the neighborhood.
Old 01-06-23, 07:54 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 13,203 Times in 6,777 Posts

Thoughts?
I imagine it's hard to find staff willing to work for low wages and no benefits with 3.5% unemployment, and then there's also the big increase food costs, so perhaps they keep their menu prices looking not as bad by adding fees you can see rather than simply rolling all the costs into the prices.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-06-23, 08:00 PM
Mojo31
-------

The one we went to is part of a chain of Bread Winners Cafe and Bakery restaurants. The other that I know of is a very high end steak place in Ft. Worth and Houston ($300-400+ for dinner for two).

I agree it’s a way to increase gross revenues and profitability. I’d rather see them raise the price of a burger from $17 to $18. That would sit better in my mind.
Old 01-06-23, 08:04 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by genejockey
I imagine it's hard to find staff willing to work for low wages and no benefits with 3.5% unemployment, and then there's also the big increase food costs, so perhaps they keep their menu prices looking not as bad by adding fees you can see rather than simply rolling all the costs into the prices.
Well, this time it kind of backfired on them. I first deducted the charge from the bill, and then tipped 15% on the remainder rather than my usual 20%+. I’m sure others don’t even pay attention, and tip on the total.
Old 01-06-23, 08:05 PM
Mojo31
-------

Ha, not if they have a cash payroll! PPP loan apps required you to document your payroll thru 941 filings and other means.
Old 01-06-23, 08:10 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,462 Times in 4,673 Posts

Thoughts?
When we had a store in Brooklyn, which was about 15 years ago, agreements with credit card networks, Visa, MC, etc, prohibited vendors from passing processing fees on to the customers. I guess that's changed?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-06-23, 08:18 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

about a month ago I saw it for the first time. I think it was a 3% fee on credit AND debit cards. Total BS. Might have to start paying with quarters and dimes.

Remember, the consumer has power to go on strike. About 10 years ago I stopped going to a national restaurant chain after a bad experience. 2 of them in my area went belly up. I had nothing to do with their demise but it felt good. Real good in the neighborhood.
You showed them!
Old 01-06-23, 08:19 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Also, who (besides my dad) uses a debit card?
Old 01-06-23, 08:23 PM
Mojo31
-------

Me. Everywhere, including our lunch today. Yes, the fee was added for both cc and dc transactions.

We had some wedding vendors that would take debit, but not credit cards (for some unknown reason), and some that required a check or cash.
Old 01-06-23, 08:30 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

People who don't have good enough credit for a credit card. Most hourly workers. Are you a 1%er?
Old 01-06-23, 08:39 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Me. Everywhere, including our lunch today.
Why?
People who don't have good enough credit for a credit card. Most hourly workers. Are you a 1%er?
"Most" hourly workers can't get a credit card? wut

I got one when I was in college and had almost no income.

Obviously credit card debt is very bad for some people. But if you autopay your balance every month, the 2% back seems like an easy win to me.
Old 01-06-23, 08:53 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Why?

Obviously credit card debt is very bad for some people. But if you autopay your balance every month, the 2% back seems like an easy win to me.
People make mistakes with managing their money. Living paycheck is quite common. Not everyone has a lawn mowing empire like you.
Old 01-06-23, 08:57 PM
Mojo31
-------

Why?

Mainly budgeting. We load a set amount into our checking account monthly, and that is used for groceries, dining out, entertainment, and other routine household stuff. When we run faste, we slow down. Helps us avoid unpleasant surprises.

We also have a 2% rebate credit card that is used for a lot of recurring payments and larger items. I also have a business card for frequent flier points.

We have our system and it works for us. The 2% we might lose by using the debit card is immaterial.
Old 01-06-23, 09:27 PM
big john

Liked 10,164 Times in 4,938 Posts

I got one when I was in college and had almost no income..
I couldn't get one until I was 37? ish. GM was promoting the GM Mastercard and they wouldn't give me one even though I worked at a GM dealer. I bought a new truck when I worked there and I had to get a co-signer. After that they're standing in line to try and lend me money

Mrs John still doesn't have one. Well, she has a debit card that works as a credit card and she had trouble getting that because of bankruptcy during her divorce.
Old 01-06-23, 09:56 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,536 Times in 4,548 Posts
Yeah I have a couple, and use one for the occasional trip to WinCo.

Generally I put stuff on a CC, gotta get that 3-5% cash back!
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 01-06-23, 10:34 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Liked 4,937 Times in 2,647 Posts
People with bank accounts.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 01-06-23, 10:40 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Liked 1,506 Times in 762 Posts
i use my debit card sometimes, although typically in the form of apple pay. it's one less step really, but no perks, so i use credit cards for larger purchases. i believe it costs the retailer a little less than a credit card, although i'm not sure since they go through the visa/mc networks, right?

what i do not have or use is checks, so if funds are to come directly out of my checking account, it's via electronic transfer or the debit "card."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.