Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you have to drive to ride?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you have to drive to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-10, 09:26 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Im lucky that I can just go out my front door. I live right next to a bike trail...plus im pretty much out in the country.
Old 03-04-10, 09:43 AM
kleinboogie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in the city and the main roads are scary. So, I drive 10 mins to my favorite lake loop.
Old 03-04-10, 09:50 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
99% of my rides start at the house. Last summer I did a lot of riding with others that take the car to a long way away to start a ride. It was fun but, I got sick of starting a ride with a car pretty fast.
Old 03-04-10, 10:08 AM
bmxsykes

Bikes: 2010 GIANT TCR SL 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those that drive to ride, I hope that the bike ride is longer than the car ride. I used to drive to a 20 mile club ride and was in the car a bit over what the ride took. I now ride to and from the ride. I add only an hour more to the day but increased my milege to 60.
Old 03-04-10, 10:19 AM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
mountain biking really isn't much of an option unless you have big unfarmed countryside like a national park.
...what? there's mtb trails everywhere. just some are better than others.
Old 03-04-10, 10:19 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I have a mtn bike, and have done some short mtn bike rides right from my doorstep. I'll probably start doing more of that as the daylight hours get shorter.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out how to fit road cycling into my day.
I am lucky to have nice country roads right out my door. Takes me about 15 minutes to ride the MTB to miles and miles of trails in the mountains. But where I ride I often take my road bike down some nasty gravel roads. Are you saying you have gravel roads where you live and cannot road ride?
Old 03-04-10, 10:36 AM
spoke50
Miles over Matter

Bikes: trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope... but the little 18% for a quarter mile back to the house will kick your ass!
Old 03-04-10, 10:47 AM
saratoga

Bikes: ?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Riding by myself, no I'll ride from the house. There's about a two mile stretch of two lane high traffic road that I have to ride on, but after that it's all country roads with little traffic.

There are some group rides on the weekends that require driving to however. The Sat ride is 42 miles round trip and usually takes 1h50min if I drive the 15 miles out to it. Nice to do if I'm in a hurry... get a good hard ride in and I'm home by 0930. If I have more time, I can ride from home, leaving around 0615 to meet the group on the road by 0700ish. Complete the ride with the group and head home... works out to be about 65+ miles and takes right at 3 hours.

My preferred Sunday group ride is about 30 miles N in a hilly part of the next county north of where I live. It's not practical to ride out to that from where I live to make it up there for an 0800 start, so load up the truck and off I go.
Old 03-04-10, 11:03 AM
invwnut
I don't even own a cat...

Bikes: 2008 LG sonix 6.4, 2002 KHS Flite 500, 1999 Big Sur Gary Fisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do both. I live in Indianapolis where I do ride on city streets for my local training ride but I can take the MUT and go about 10mi north and be out in a rural area. For me it depends on where I feel like riding. I usually drive to my team rides but this year I will be trying other training rides to vary my training. I work 30mi south so there is a country training ride nearby.
Old 03-04-10, 11:21 AM
mrvile
The bus, Gus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't. I live in the middle of the city so there are a lot of bike trails and MUPs within a couple miles from my house. However, I do live smack on the middle of a huge hill, and the College Hill part of Providence is, well, pretty hilly, so last couple miles back to my house always provides a nice ass kicking. I always need to keep a couple gallons left in the tank for the ride back home.
Old 03-04-10, 11:22 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 47 Posts
I ride.

I ride to work... 17 miles each way.

I ride to the meeting point for my club's group rides... 8 miles from home.

I've ridden to other rides and meetups when possible.

I think there have been three times I've driven the bike to a ride- The Turkey Roll in Denton (50 miles away), a bike show in Dallas (50 miles away), and to downtown Fort Worth once (10 miles away, but only because I was shoe-horning a group ride into an already packed schedule). I try to ride to wherever I'm going whenever I can. The bike rides on the back of a car if a ride is a long ways away (and I do very few charity rides as a result), or to be dropped off at the shop.

I live on the edge of Fort Worth and most of my rides are toward the city center. I actually got bored because EVERY ride started out with the same few miles because I only knew one practical route to get into town. I've discovered another route, though, and developed several variations on the two exits from my neighborhood.

We are beginning to think of moving to another house and one cirterion in our selection will be either getting closer into town, or closer to the main MUP that goes into town. Or both.

But I very rarely drive to ride.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 03-04-10, 11:28 AM
alpha_bravo
Mr. Sparkle

Bikes: 08 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Too much traffic right on a very busy street outside my door. Unfortunately I have to load my bike in the vehicle and drive about 2 miles to an abandoned ranch road to get most of my training in. Long rides require me to drive a bit further and park at a local high school.
Old 03-04-10, 11:31 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Well over 8k of miles from my doorstep last year.
Old 03-04-10, 11:55 AM
tardman91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can ride around my neighborhood if I wanted to, but usually I'll throw the bike on the back of my truck and drive to the Suncoast Trail (~10 mi.) or Starkey Wilderness Park (~3mi.).
Old 03-04-10, 12:05 PM
liquefied

Bikes: 1989 Team Miyata, 1989 Miyata 1400, 1989 Miyata 1400, 1986 Miyata 610, 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a car.

SF is a great city to ride in though. Plus I have Marin and Sonoma counties within riding distance.
Old 03-04-10, 12:26 PM
graphs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't drive, so I never drive to ride. Though it would be nice sometimes to not have to battle traffic for 20km+ to get to some open roads.
Old 03-04-10, 12:34 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by mrvile
I don't. I live in the middle of the city so there are a lot of bike trails and MUPs within a couple miles from my house. However, I do live smack on the middle of a huge hill, and the College Hill part of Providence is, well, pretty hilly, so last couple miles back to my house always provides a nice ass kicking. I always need to keep a couple gallons left in the tank for the ride back home.
When I mentioned that most of my trips are "into the city", they are almost all "down to the river" as well. So the end of every ride is an uphill climb. Not severe, but some routes back to my neighborhood have some significant rolling hills (they are actually ridges that run across neighborhoods, so it's difficult to miss them). Like I said, not severe, but when you're tired at the end of a ride... yuck.

My workplace, incidentally, is about as far from the river (on the other side) as my house is. The typical elevation profile looks like the mouth on a smiley face. So EVERY commute consists of several miles of generally downhill easy stuff followed by several miles of steady climbing. Literally..... uphill, both ways.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 03-04-10, 12:55 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Ride from the house.

If you have an SUV or pickup where you can just put the bike in and go, with no disassembly, wouldn't be any problem to drive and ride.

If you're far off a road, I'd look at a mountain bike.
Old 03-04-10, 01:14 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
90% of my rides are from my driveway or office, including my next one. I do drive occasionally when I need to get some hill work in.
Old 03-04-10, 02:40 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by CCrew
I can, but I live in Upper Bubbaville and I'm likely to get run over by a pickup truck. I bike commute however, and since my work is 74 miles from my house I load the bike on the car and drive 50 and ride 24 each way... daily.

-Roger
This is what I'm thinking of doing, but I need to find out if there's a place I can store my bicycle when I get there.
Old 03-04-10, 02:43 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yaniel

If i wreck on the way, I FEEL safer in my car with 8 airbags, a seat belt and a ton of metal around me. Can I still be killed? yes. Do I feel safer? yes. Am I safer? who knows. I just can't stand when people criticize others for not trusting the roads in their city, specially when they live in a town nowhere near the situation here. The nearest rural road is a 30 minute car ride at 70 mph away. I have to drive with my hand on the horn here, and always be on the defensive to protect myself from all the unlicensed, uninsured, motorists here that forget that driving in the USA isn't a free for all.

as for making a poor choice in where I picked my home, I've been in this house since I was born, and won't be leaving it for a few more years. Until then I'll happily drive to the start of my ride regardless of how much respect some chump in Nebraska has for me.
I disagreed with you calling it suicide (you presented it as a choice between driving and dying). I see that you've backed down from that and now say that you're not comfortable with it. I stated that I have no problem with that. (See how, "I don't think it's a good idea" and "you'll die" are different?)

I didn't realize you were a minor. That does present a difficulty. I'm sorry that your parents have chosen such a poor location to live. I really am. It's nice to live in a place where you can get out of the city, and where the city isn't filled with idiots who hate each other.
Old 03-04-10, 02:47 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by jfmckenna
I am lucky to have nice country roads right out my door. Takes me about 15 minutes to ride the MTB to miles and miles of trails in the mountains. But where I ride I often take my road bike down some nasty gravel roads. Are you saying you have gravel roads where you live and cannot road ride?
Dirt/mud track then gravel .... then finally several km away paved roads.
Old 03-04-10, 02:50 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

So for those of you who drive to your rides, do you go to work, come home, change, drive to a starting point, and then ride in the evenings? Or do you ride from where you work?
Old 03-04-10, 02:50 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I ride.

I ride to work... 17 miles each way.

I ride to the meeting point for my club's group rides... 8 miles from home.

I've ridden to other rides and meetups when possible.

I think there have been three times I've driven the bike to a ride- The Turkey Roll in Denton (50 miles away), a bike show in Dallas (50 miles away), and to downtown Fort Worth once (10 miles away, but only because I was shoe-horning a group ride into an already packed schedule). I try to ride to wherever I'm going whenever I can. The bike rides on the back of a car if a ride is a long ways away (and I do very few charity rides as a result), or to be dropped off at the shop.

I live on the edge of Fort Worth and most of my rides are toward the city center. I actually got bored because EVERY ride started out with the same few miles because I only knew one practical route to get into town. I've discovered another route, though, and developed several variations on the two exits from my neighborhood.

We are beginning to think of moving to another house and one cirterion in our selection will be either getting closer into town, or closer to the main MUP that goes into town. Or both.

But I very rarely drive to ride.

I'm curious why you ride into town to ride. I don't live in your area (hence the curiosity) but I usually ride out of town. Riding in town seems stressful and slow (and I don't live in a city with all that much traffic, we think congestion is falling below 20 around here).

Is it the trails? Or do you mostly commute rather than ride for leisure?
Old 03-04-10, 02:54 PM
stripes

Bikes: 2004 Cinelli Supercorsa, 2005 Tommasini track, 1983 Specialized Expedition, 1991 Fuso Cyclocross, 1991 Masi Team 3V, 1989 Serotta, De Rosa Neo Primato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out the door - I don't own a car so all of my traveling is on the bike, commuting, running errands, and just plain old riding around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.