Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Six-year Old Dies on East Bay MUP

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Six-year Old Dies on East Bay MUP

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-18, 05:12 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
The vegetation is always growing. In a few other intersections they have to cut back the growth for visibility. They do it a couple of times a year, I think.
Old 08-05-18, 10:32 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
The vegetation is always growing. In a few other intersections they have to cut back the growth for visibility. They do it a couple of times a year, I think.
Unless I get to it first with pruning shears. The intersection is much better now but even before brush was cleared away. if both the motorist and cyclist were paying attention, it was safe. But if one or the other was not paying close enough attention, the intersection is suddenly dangerous. The driver was a 20 year old woman from Connecticut and may not have been familiar with that crossing.

Accident investigations do not appear to be detailed enough to learn lessons from. This is in complete contrast to accident reports in wilderness areas in New Hampshire, which are conducted by Fish and Game Department. Those accidents are reported in great detail in a publication of the Appalachian Mountain Club "Appalachia". Those reports contain information on the weather conditions at the time, experience of the people in the accident and the equipment they carried and interviews. There is enough information to judge what went wrong and how to prevent a similar outcome to your party of happy hikers.
Old 08-05-18, 01:08 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18464 Post(s)
Liked 4,568 Times in 3,393 Posts
One thing you mentioned was that the intersection was very close to another intersection.

I've seen that theme in other accident reports. If space allows, I think the trail should either:
  • Be moved to join the intersection. Thus, use crosswalks, lights, etc if they are being used.
  • Be moved to lie between intersections, as far away from each one as possible. Thus, a car can travel through the intersection, then get warnings about the bike path.

If there is enough land, moving the path could be accomplished relatively easily and cheaply.

Of course, a good design including sight lines should have been part of the initial design, and should be part of any future new construction.
Old 08-05-18, 04:20 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18464 Post(s)
Liked 4,568 Times in 3,393 Posts
If Google has driven the street more than once, then you may be able to scroll through previous image captures to see evolution through time.
Old 08-07-18, 10:16 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 164 Posts
My wife and I just rode that MUP for the first time last weekend. Nice trail well maintained. At intersections cars would be nice and stop to let cyclists cross. Which creates a problem, cyclist have the stop sign not the cars. So if a car does not stop (which they do not have to) and a cyclist runs their stop sign thinking the car will stop like they normally, bad things might be the result. We also noticed that very few cyclist alerted us that they were passing us.
Old 08-08-18, 07:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18596 Post(s)
Liked 16,096 Times in 7,558 Posts
^^^This^^^ There is a section of a local trail that has several crossings. Bikes have stop signs. Cars stopping for cyclists creates uncertainty and likely a false sense of right-of-way entitlement in the minds of the less experienced.
Old 08-08-18, 08:15 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
yup happens a lot. & each trail is different. it seems like almost every intersection of the Minuteman from Bedford to Arlington the cars stop when they don't have to with a cpl distinct exceptions where the cars only stop if the flashing lights start up. the inconsistency is frustrating & dangerous. having bike trails cross auto roads reminds me of how dangerous fishing boats & their gear is in whale habitat