Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Caught on cam: Bicycle crushed by tanker truck

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Caught on cam: Bicycle crushed by tanker truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-18, 11:24 AM
Kontact

Liked 1,842 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
[MENTION=225388]Kontact[/MENTION]
When I was in Asia, those tankers in the city was much smaller. Here in the that video, it's huge and Tandem!
So you're okay having three times as many trucks on the road burning at least twice the fuel to make deliveries? How's the air quality in most of Asia?

Last edited by Kontact; 07-10-18 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-10-18, 11:32 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,612 Times in 2,360 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
ps. NOBODY here has articulated what a person on a bicycle should do while getting right hooked by a combination vehicle.
um, run away! run away! ?
Old 07-10-18, 12:23 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,571 Times in 3,395 Posts
ps. NOBODY here has articulated what a person on a bicycle should do while getting right hooked by a combination vehicle.
Each situation would be different.

DON'T RIDE UP TO THE SIDE OF THE TRUCK, AND STOP.

If one can stop,say 10 feet back from the intersection/driveway, and quite far to the right, then one should be OK. Perhaps hop the bike onto the sidewalk.

In some cases, one can turn with the vehicle. It may be easier than stopping, and then one doesn't stop cold next to it. In this case, with the poor clearance of the driveway, that might not have been possible.

As [MENTION=134410]rumrunn6[/MENTION] mentions, if you do arrive too close, then pull away as quick as possible. Jump off, run, whatever.

Most of my encounters with trucks are with me in the left turn lane, and the truck trying to make a left turn towards me. When I see the truck coming, I'll naturally pull as far right out of the way as possible, and watch that it doesn't swing close.

In some senses, a cyclist should be more mobile than a vehicle, and thus should be able to extract oneself out of a bad situation.
Old 07-10-18, 01:23 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
A cyclist on the road has the same rights and responsibility any other vehicles. The worst thing you can do is to start making up your own set of rules. When you follow the laws you're predictable and that makes cycling safer for all of us.

In these reviews, hindsight is always 20/20. Although every person operating a vehicle on the road should ride/drive defensively, there's no way you can know or be prepared for every possible situation every driver around you might take. When I stop, I always put myself in a position with a safety/escape route in mind, until a car/truck or bus takes and fills that position (sometimes illegally).

At that point, I have on occasion found myself surround by semis or buses and trapped wondering which one of them won't see me, or worse simply ignore the right-of-way laws and proceed ahead with the intent to intimidate me off the road entirely.

What do you do when you're trapped between two 40ft vehicles closing in on you? You can't always just step out of the way. My point is its a dynamic process, and so there's no one action that always works.

The women in the video reacted to an unpredictable situation and did what she needed to do to stay alive and uninjured. That's the single most important rule to any ride.
Old 07-10-18, 04:02 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by tungsten
The other thing to consider that there's been a huge PR campaign in this city promoting bike lanes as a panacea for safe cycling for several years. Imo inexperienced cyclists may be uncritically placing their trust in them, without considering the differences between a bike lane separated with physical barriers as opposed to one merely painted on the roadway.
I've spent 35 hours over the last seven weekdays operating a transit bus on that street and in that time I've seen exactly five (5) cyclists.
As noted above the city's on a bike lane building spree, this because the sitting mayor/council majority promoting these things are getting thrown out in the fall.
I don't know why they even put a bike lane on that road except that's it's one of the few really wide north/south routes that could accommodate a bike lane like that.

Last edited by tungsten; 07-10-18 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-10-18, 04:47 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Liked 1,666 Times in 841 Posts
Originally Posted by Steeljag

Same question to the truck driver ?
How would knowing that help the cyclist? I am of the opinion we should focus most of our energy on that which we can control. We can only control our own actions, not the actions of others.
Old 07-10-18, 04:53 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Nah, people on bikes are many, operators with CDL are few.

Totally makes sense to concentrate educational efforts on the many unlicensed amateurs and not the few licensed professionals.

That’s what we do with restaurants, right? The burden is on the many people eating, not on the few people cooking.

-mr. bill
I articulated earlier why I thought it was ill advised for the bicyclist to go blasting into that danger zone with the trucker telegraphing a right turn prior to signaling. Then once she realized the truck was turning she should have quickly dismounted and pulled the bike away from the turn path. She was way late in doing so. She doesn't seem to have much for street smarts.
Old 07-10-18, 05:07 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I articulated earlier why I thought it was ill advised for the bicyclist to go blasting into that danger zone with the trucker telegraphing a right turn prior to signaling. Then once she realized the truck was turning she should have quickly dismounted and pulled the bike away from the turn path. She was way late in doing so. She doesn't seem to have much for street smarts.
How do you know she didn't react as quickly as she could to the truck turning in front of her?
Old 07-10-18, 05:07 PM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
What should she have done? Why, dropped into her 53 x 11, sprinted and passed that truck like it was standing still.

I had stuff like this happen to me a lot during the first few years I was riding. I made the usual rookie mistakes around big rigs, like not knowing how far they need to stop. I seem to remember having this same thing happen a couple times where I just turned along with the truck, slowed down and let it pass, then continued on my way, probably mad as hell. What else are you gonna do. I think I'm a lot more careful around trucks these days and expect these kind of moves, especially in town.

In the video, it seems like she comes up on the truck really quickly, but it takes her forever to pass it, I'm not sure why that is. But the different angle helps quite a bit.
Old 07-10-18, 05:15 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Kontact
How do you know she didn't react as quickly as she could to the truck turning in front of her?
Maybe she did move as quickly as she could, but it obviously wasn't quick enough. She was really slow in processing the threat and her subsequent reaction. I can say without hesitation that had I been dumb enough to place myself in that situation. I would not have been so sluggish to react to the threat. Neither me nor my bike would have been hit.
Old 07-10-18, 05:25 PM
88Tempo

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
To be fair to the bicyclist there are a lot of people that don't realize just how much room a big rig needs to make a turn.
Old 07-10-18, 05:25 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Obviously, right hook is always a potential danger. I think her mistake (but not unreasonable) was assuming the trailers would track behind the tractor, but actually they came to the inside of the turn. OTOH, in this day of cameras/sensors everywhere I 'm not sure "blindspot" cuts it as an excuse for trucks.

scott s.
Old 07-10-18, 05:30 PM
Steeljag

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv Pro I

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
“Telegraphing a turn prior to signaling” ?? The video appears to show the truck goof passes her so he should have seen her ! There appears to be several feet of stripped roadway and then the bike path ! The truck goof then makes a careless / wreckless turn crossing a lane of traffic ?? Your good with that ? That is NO so called “ Professional” driver.....that’s a careless / wreckless goof !

How about this...if you can’t see what’s in the lane next to you, STOP and look before making your turn ! Anyone could have been on that corner ! I have no idea of the police outcome of this but I would assume the truck driver was issued a citation(s) and the cyclist got a new bike !

I assume we we will continue to disagree on this, and that’s OK.......let’s ALL just be careful / safe out there !

Old 07-10-18, 06:05 PM
Kontact

Maybe she did move as quickly as she could, but it obviously wasn't quick enough. She was really slow in processing the threat and her subsequent reaction. I can say without hesitation that had I been dumb enough to place myself in that situation. I would not have been so sluggish to react to the threat. Neither me nor my bike would have been hit.
I think she didn't realize the back end would turn on a different line than the front end. I don't know if that is dumb on her part, slow witted, or if it was simply a possibility outside of her experience.
Old 07-10-18, 06:40 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I thought I covered that also, with my "number one rule". She's not there in the first place following my rule, but finding herself in that situation she needed to get out of the way in a hurry - which she didn't. She stopped and lingered in the worst place, almost too long.
Old 07-10-18, 08:27 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
So you're okay having three times as many trucks on the road burning at least twice the fuel to make deliveries? How's the air quality in most of Asia?
Have you seen the size of Asian's vehicles? They don't consume has much gas as the big gas guzzler that we have here in America (and I include Canada here).
Old 07-10-18, 09:04 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by SylvainG
Have you seen the size of Asian's vehicles? They don't consume has much gas as the big gas guzzler that we have here in America (and I include Canada here).
Because they aren't hauling as much. Do you think small planes and small trains would haul stuff more efficiently than large ones?
Old 07-10-18, 09:20 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Because they aren't hauling as much. Do you think small planes and small trains would haul stuff more efficiently than large ones?
What? Over here, most pickup trucks beds are empty, SUV are simply oversized cars (with many being FWD!) and minivan with just one or two occupants. Nothing to do with hauling more stuff.
Old 07-10-18, 09:54 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by SylvainG
What? Over here, most pickup trucks beds are empty, SUV are simply oversized cars (with many being FWD!) and minivan with just one or two occupants. Nothing to do with hauling more stuff.
We were discussing delivery vehicles, like the articulated tanker truck in the OP. You're talking about passenger vehicles.
Old 07-10-18, 10:21 PM
gregf83 

Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
OTOH, in this day of cameras/sensors everywhere I 'm not sure "blindspot" cuts it as an excuse for trucks..
This. My Honda van has a camera on the side exactly for this purpose. Large trucks like this have no excuse for having a blind spot or turning into cyclists. 100% the driver's fault. They shouldn't allow trucks like that if they're not properly equipped. At the very least they could use some more turn signals on the truck and it's various pieces. I could only see turn signals on the back.
Old 07-10-18, 10:35 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Liked 198 Times in 121 Posts
Common sense is the key.
Doesn't matter if you have the right to the road or not. If you are on a bike and crashes with a car who get hurt is you, the biker.

For example, if you are biking on the opposite shoulder and a car is coming out of a driveway and turning into the traffic,
the driver will be paying attention to the cars coming from the left and move forward if it is safe.
Checking on the right side (cars won't come from that side) is briefly only - if you drive a car you know what I am talking.
Even on traffic light with pedestrian light, I see cars advancing when is green for the pedestrian.

You have the right, but if you get injured what is the point? In OP case the bike is gone.
Using common sense, anticipating and avoiding these situations will take a minute more to get from A to B safely.

When first moved to US, was surprised that people just cross the road sometimes without looking the cars and not even stopping
to be seen by the driver, because there is a pedestrian crossing painted on the road. You have the right, but if driver didn't see you,
who gets hurt is not the driver.
Old 07-10-18, 10:41 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
This. My Honda van has a camera on the side exactly for this purpose. Large trucks like this have no excuse for having a blind spot or turning into cyclists. 100% the driver's fault. They shouldn't allow trucks like that if they're not properly equipped. At the very least they could use some more turn signals on the truck and it's various pieces. I could only see turn signals on the back.
Sorry pal, this happened in B.C. Canada. The "wild west" where the r@pe of land and people continues unabated.
I think she didn't realize the back end would turn on a different line than the front end. I don't know if that is dumb on her part, slow witted, or if it was simply a possibility outside of her experience.
As I said above "off-track" is a concept unimaginable to most of the general public. Possibly even to the driver of that rig. lol...
Old 07-11-18, 12:08 AM
gregf83 

Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by tungsten
Sorry pal, this happened in B.C. Canada. The "wild west" where the r@pe of land and people continues unabated.
? No idea what you’re taliking about or what the Wild West has to do with safe driving.
Old 07-11-18, 01:01 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by phtomita
Common sense is the key.
Doesn't matter if you have the right to the road or not. If you are on a bike and crashes with a car who get hurt is you, the biker.

For example, if you are biking on the opposite shoulder and a car is coming out of a driveway and turning into the traffic,
the driver will be paying attention to the cars coming from the left and move forward if it is safe.
Checking on the right side (cars won't come from that side) is briefly only - if you drive a car you know what I am talking.
Even on traffic light with pedestrian light, I see cars advancing when is green for the pedestrian.

You have the right, but if you get injured what is the point? In OP case the bike is gone.
Using common sense, anticipating and avoiding these situations will take a minute more to get from A to B safely.

When first moved to US, was surprised that people just cross the road sometimes without looking the cars and not even stopping
to be seen by the driver, because there is a pedestrian crossing painted on the road. You have the right, but if driver didn't see you,
who gets hurt is not the driver.
Is that what you're going to use in your defense in the case of an accident and you end up in court? Do you think all of the aformetioned "the cyclist" shoulda, coulda, woulda done this or that will get him let off? Good luck to anyone using that mantra in convincing a judge on your idea of common sense rather than the law.
Old 07-11-18, 01:25 AM
Kontact

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Is that what you're going to use in your defense in the case of an accident and you end up in court? Do you think all of the aformetioned "the cyclist" shoulda, coulda, woulda done this or that will get him let off? Good luck to anyone using that mantra in convincing a judge on your idea of common sense rather than the law.
What does his suggestions about how cyclists should act have to do with going to court?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.