Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Nastiest Bike Crash Ever

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Nastiest Bike Crash Ever

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-08, 12:40 PM
RoadToad
Flatman

Bikes: Giant TCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashUNC
Abdu's 1991 sprint crash is still the gnarliest I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBtCa...eature=related
oh god...I remember that one...ouch.
Old 07-18-08, 01:15 PM
Bantam

Bikes: Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BananaTugger
We have most of the past stages in our archives: https://www.justin.tv/giac2007/episod...er=most_recent

Some of them were lost when we were briefly shut down last week.
Why were you shut down? It was a shame. I really appreciate the work you have done, watching Eurosport is amazing. Will you be broadcasting other races throughout the year? The Olympics maybe?
Old 07-18-08, 01:17 PM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Carbon bikes asplode all the time. Don't you remember this one from Georgia? It was only a few months ago.

Pro tip: always carry spare tubes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
JD_08TDGstg3_crash2.jpg (51.1 KB, 234 views)
Old 07-18-08, 01:18 PM
Dizzy
Not so fast now.....

Bikes: GT Rage - 1995

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noob question - are helmets mandated in the Tour de France and if so what year did they start that? Some of these crashes, the rider doesn't have a helmet.
Old 07-18-08, 01:21 PM
BananaTugger
CPM M4

Bikes: Light.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bantam
Why were you shut down? It was a shame. I really appreciate the work you have done, watching Eurosport is amazing. Will you be broadcasting other races throughout the year? The Olympics maybe?
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) sent a email to the Justin.tv staff saying they thought they saw one of their matches on a channel that Justin.tv hosted. Justin.tv tweaked out and shut down every channel that has broadcasted a Eurosport feed, as the ECB matches are show on Eurosport Live (although, no one watches ). The email must have been quite timely, as our channel was shut down with just 5KM to go in Stage 10, with over 10,000 people watching. They also deleted some of our archived events, like MotoGP, F1, IAAF Track and Field and the WRC.

All that over what turned out to be a promo that was run on Eurosport over a month ago for an exhibition cricket match that no one was going to pay any attention to anyway. The match itself wasn't broadcasted anywhere, just the promo for it. >.<

Cricket sucks.

As for the Olympics and other cycling event, we will have to see what kind of scratch we can come up with in order to get the bandwidth and servers to host and broadcast these events. We are already stretched pretty thin, which would explain the occasional drop out in the casts you see during a live TdF stream. It's hard to monitor a bunch of servers and connections and moderate up to 10 chat rooms at a time.
Old 07-18-08, 01:36 PM
onion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dizzy
Noob question - are helmets mandated in the Tour de France and if so what year did they start that? Some of these crashes, the rider doesn't have a helmet.
Yes. 2003 I believe.
Old 07-18-08, 01:46 PM
mcoomer
Rat Bastard

Bikes: Cannondale Prophet, Specialized S-Works SL2, Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
MARIO CIPOLLINI CRASH 1994 VUELTA A ESPAÑA, this was nasty because he doesnt even move after the crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Y_KOwa5pA
WOW! That's a faceplant there. Didn't look like he had a helmet on. If not, he's lucky to be alive.
Old 07-18-08, 01:58 PM
prendrefeu
How much does it weigh?

Bikes: Lotus Fixed, Bianchi Virata 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lithuania
here is the flanders crash i was talking about

https://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?t...nel=1351810759
...wait, wasn't that a Saunier-Duval team rider?
Old 07-18-08, 02:01 PM
grahny
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just saw it... DAMN. Nothing beats that guy hitting the road furniture in the spring, forget what race... he looked down for a second and road straight into something that just launched his bike. I'll see if I can find video of it.

EDIT: Ah, the link above, that's it!
Old 07-18-08, 02:16 PM
Bantam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) sent a email to the Justin.tv staff saying they thought they saw one of their matches on a channel that Justin.tv hosted. Justin.tv tweaked out and shut down every channel that has broadcasted a Eurosport feed, as the ECB matches are show on Eurosport Live (although, no one watches ). The email must have been quite timely, as our channel was shut down with just 5KM to go in Stage 10, with over 10,000 people watching. They also deleted some of our archived events, like MotoGP, F1, IAAF Track and Field and the WRC.

All that over what turned out to be a promo that was run on Eurosport over a month ago for an exhibition cricket match that no one was going to pay any attention to anyway. The match itself wasn't broadcasted anywhere, just the promo for it. >.<

Cricket sucks.

As for the Olympics and other cycling event, we will have to see what kind of scratch we can come up with in order to get the bandwidth and servers to host and broadcast these events. We are already stretched pretty thin, which would explain the occasional drop out in the casts you see during a live TdF stream. It's hard to monitor a bunch of servers and connections and moderate up to 10 chat rooms at a time.
I was watching and I was frantically searching for another feed. No versus at the office. I could do without the chat rooms if it makes things easier. Or, is there any other way to access Eurosport broadcasts in the US?
Old 07-18-08, 02:17 PM
scottmorrison99
New! With Self Loathing!

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Xenith T time trial bike, 2013 Jamis Xenith Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy Crap! I just saw it on a replay on Vs. right after I read about it. If that sign had been a foot taller...

Weird Bike Guy Blog
Old 07-18-08, 02:23 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
See, I told you it was the worst bike crash ever. I can't believe the guy wasn't carted off in an ambulance.
Old 07-18-08, 02:26 PM
BananaTugger
CPM M4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was watching and I was frantically searching for another feed. No versus at the office. I could do without the chat rooms if it makes things easier. Or, is there any other way to access Eurosport broadcasts in the US?
https://www.justin.tv/giac2008

This is our other channel. It carries the rest of our Eurosport event coverage: MotoGP, F1, WRC, IAAF, IRC, WTCC, Beach Soccer and Volleyball.
Old 07-18-08, 02:34 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Liked 1,259 Times in 714 Posts
here is the flanders crash i was talking about

https://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?t...nel=1351810759
Geez, even with a guy standing in front of the obstacle waving a yellow flag. Goes to show that when you're tired and suffering, it's easy to lose attention.
Old 07-18-08, 02:43 PM
badfishgood
B(.)(.)BS

Bikes: My bicycles?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there was a crash in one of the spring classics this year where the rider went into a curb straight on at full speed without seeing it. His bike exploded and he flew threw the air.
+1 That was the most dramatic crash of the year.
Old 07-18-08, 02:47 PM
Bantam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.justin.tv/giac2008

This is our other channel. It carries the rest of our Eurosport event coverage: MotoGP, F1, WRC, IAAF, IRC, WTCC, Beach Soccer and Volleyball.
I'll watch MotoGP and WRC, but I'm an enormous Olympics fan, so that's what I'll be looking for shortly.
Old 07-18-08, 02:50 PM
BananaTugger
CPM M4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll watch MotoGP and WRC, but I'm an enormous Olympics fan, so that's what I'll be looking for shortly.
We'll see what we can do.
Old 07-18-08, 02:52 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by prendrefeu
...wait, wasn't that a Saunier-Duval team rider?
Commentator: "Ai yai yai!" [I have no idea what language that was, but apparently that's a universal saying.]
Old 07-18-08, 03:09 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Speaking of motorcycles... this is the closest call I've ever seen in my life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzKfIMbE3aQ
Old 07-18-08, 03:24 PM
alanbikehouston

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Steel bikes have crashed in the Tour de France at speeds of up to 60 mph. Some of those crashes were fatal. Sometimes the fork needed realignment, and sometimes the fork needed replacement. But, many/most of the steel bikes involved in those crashes had only cosmetic damage.

A couple years ago, I was at a bike shop when a guy brought in a steel bike to have to fork realigned. He and eight or ten guys had ended up piled on top of each other. Most of the carbon forks shattered. Some of the carbon frames shattered. But, he only needed a fifteen minute realignment of his steel fork.
Old 07-18-08, 03:34 PM
gregf83 

Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
Steel bikes have crashed in the Tour de France at speeds of up to 60 mph. Some of those crashes were fatal. Sometimes the fork needed realignment, and sometimes the fork needed replacement. But, many/most of the steel bikes involved in those crashes had only cosmetic damage.
So your point is that in the past steel bikes were overdesigned?

Any bike that would come through the crash today unscathed would have to have been massively overdesigned. Kind of pointless to use a bike that is stronger (and heavier) than necessary while racing.
Old 07-18-08, 04:07 PM
Miguelangel

Bikes: Lemond Tourmalet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it was best the bike broke... it sort of saved him from the shock he would have taken if the bicycle did not...something has to break.. better off the bike than the rider..
Old 07-18-08, 04:25 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 6,873 Times in 3,576 Posts
Originally Posted by Creakyknees
Carbon bikes asplode all the time.

It was overdue.
Old 07-18-08, 04:34 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
I just watched a guy at the back of the Tour de France ride into a road sign, part of that ridiculous road furniture (in the middle of the road) the peloton is forced to negotiate all the time on French roads in the Tour. He SEVERED his Specialized road bike frame in friggin HALF. He walked away, apparently OK. See if you can catch that on TV. Man, that was amazing.
Maybe they should fit them (the medians, road signs, roundy-rounds, etc) with some kind of a noise making beacon for the race, like a clanging bell or buzzer so the riders can hear that they're coming up on.

Kinda like a light house / foghorn for bike races.
Old 07-18-08, 05:14 PM
yogi13

Bikes: '06 Specialized Allez Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
I don't ever recall seeing a CF bicycle frame severed in half. This bike looked like a folding bicycle unassembled after this crash. You kind of have to see it to believe it.
I've seen the immediate aftermath of a crash where a guy's new cannondale carbon bike (systemsix? not sure of the designations on C-dale) had the top tube and down tube severed. He swerved off a path that runs along an inlet and hit a post and wire fence. He was scraped up a bit, the bike was toast. Wish I had had a camera along to get a picture.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.