Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I Can’t Stop Buying Vintage Schwinn Road Bikes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I Can’t Stop Buying Vintage Schwinn Road Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-23, 01:04 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4551 Post(s)
Liked 6,510 Times in 3,735 Posts
All/most/many of these are fantastic upper middle range models, great deals, punch well above their weight class.

It seems it was a bit of a "whack a mole" marketing as there were so many models and most were good.

You really can't go wrong with any of them, find one in your size and color you like at a good price and make it so.

Trying to parse minutia on these can be futile.
Likes For merziac:
Old 08-01-23, 02:06 PM
gstein

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Mine's a 1989. I wonder if yours might be as well. What's the number on the headbadge?
You nailed it, mine’s a 1989 as well. Apparently I’m too busy to look at stamp on headbadge!

I realize different light, different cameras and whatnot can alter the color of the bike in pictures. That said, the color sure looks to have a stark difference between the two years. For what it’s worth, I really like the frame color on my Circuit. Looks elegant and classy. In fact I was going to build a custom bike with a custom paint job with a color that was very similar. Might have to go a different route with the custom color now that I have the Circuit.
Old 08-01-23, 02:10 PM
gstein

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Let us know how it rides once you get some saddle time in. I'm sure I'm not the only one really curious on the differences in ride qualities between all the lightweight late-80s Schwinns. Honestly there are so many models I tend to get confused...Premis, Prelude, Circuit, Super Sport, Prologue, Peloton, etc. What is the hierarchy? I've tried to go back to the catalogs, but some catalogs have some models, yet not others. Its always fun to instead, put down the catalogs and just see how the things ride.

Looking forward to your ride report, and I'm also interested to see how the larger frame size changes the ride.
Once I source a period correct stem and handlebar I’ll let you know how the ride is compared to the Premis, SS and Tempo. Hopefully the frame isn’t too large.

Took the Premis out today for a 20+ mile ride. I find I enjoy riding it more than the Sport or Tempo (which both ride nice). Premis is just more responsive, which surprises me since I believe the Tempo was more expensive and seen as slightly higher on the food chain.
Old 08-01-23, 04:31 PM
gstein

I did some more research on the frame color of the 1988 vs 1989 Circuit. He’s what I found per the Scwhinn catalogs:

1988 Circuit - “Colors: Bright Red, Protective Clear Coat”

1989 Circuit - “Colors: Candy Red, Protective Clear Coat”

IMO both look great, but prefer the 1989 color.

1988 catalog

1989 catalog
Likes For gstein:
Old 08-03-23, 09:53 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2367 Post(s)
Liked 1,759 Times in 1,197 Posts
OK, yes, "candy red" does describe my '89 well. And agreed, I prefer the depth/richness of that red over the "Radio Flyer" red of 1988. 'Course, that bright red looks pretty sharp on my old Kona Lava Dome MTB.
Old 08-07-23, 09:13 PM
justcynn

Bikes: Lots of Schwinns

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by gstein
I still own the Schwinn Sierra mountain bike I bought when I was in high school (over 30 years ago!). Other than that MTB, I’ve never owned another Schwinn in my life, until now. Over the last month I have bought 4 Schwinn road bikes: a 1988 Premis, a 1987 Super Sport, a 1987 Tempo and a 1986 Tempo.

I have no idea why I all of a sudden have the vintage Schwinn bug. All of them were acquired for a low price, and I guess I felt the need to restore them to some degree…hate seeing bikes that have been neglected.

The Premis is 100% original, including the saddle and tires. The only consumable that may not be original could be the bar wrap.

The Super Sport has the original Shimano 600 groupset. Original saddle as well. Need to rewrap the bars white to match the original look of the bike.

1986 Tempo has 105 groupset. Since the saddle was in bad shape I decided to wrap it with custom leather and then matched the bar tape as well.

1987 Tempo has the 105 groupset with replacement saddle.

At this pint my only hope is people stop posting vintage Scwhinns in my area! I’m going to run out of room! LOL.

1986 Tempo

1987 Super Sport

1988 Premis

1987 Tempo

Fantastic collection. I have the '87 Tempo, Super Sport and had the Premis but moved it. I have a soft spot for relatively inexpensive high quality Schwinn's and drive great distances at times for top condition additions. My favorite overall ride is still the 1980 Voyageur in Chrome but the '87 is the year I am collecting the most. I have my eye on a Circuit. I will report back with pics if it works out and I find the time to go pick it up. Getting the Circuit would complete most of my higher end wants and complete a collection of (2) Paramounts, a Peloton, Super Sport, Tempo, a Prelude, several Voyageurs, a LeTour Luxe, and what started it all- a lowly World.

Congrats on the start to a great Schwinn Collection!
and nice work getting them road ready

Last edited by justcynn; 08-07-23 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-07-23, 09:19 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 417 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3853 Post(s)
Liked 3,439 Times in 2,237 Posts
-----

there must be a twelve step programme for this particular form of OCD...

Step Nr. 1 -

neither read nor accept any input from @gugie

-----
Old 08-07-23, 09:26 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1303 Post(s)
Quoted: 4706 Post(s)
Liked 5,870 Times in 2,309 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

there must be a twelve step programme for this particular form of OCD...

Step Nr. 1 -

neither read nor accept any input from @gugie
-----
What, this old thing?
Old 08-08-23, 11:17 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 1,039 Times in 675 Posts
I Can't Stop Buying Vintage Schwinn Road Bikes

I still own the Schwinn Sierra mountain bike I bought when I was in high school (over 30 years ago!). Other than that MTB, I’ve never owned another Schwinn in my life, until now. Over the last month I have bought 4 Schwinn road bikes: a 1988 Premis, a 1987 Super Sport, a 1987 Tempo and a 1986 Tempo.

I have no idea why I all of a sudden have the vintage Schwinn bug. All of them were acquired for a low price, and I guess I felt the need to restore them to some degree…hate seeing bikes that have been neglected.

The Premis is 100% original, including the saddle and tires. The only consumable that may not be original could be the bar wrap.

The Super Sport has the original Shimano 600 groupset. Original saddle as well. Need to rewrap the bars white to match the original look of the bike.

1986 Tempo has 105 groupset. Since the saddle was in bad shape I decided to wrap it with custom leather and then matched the bar tape as well.

1987 Tempo has the 105 groupset with replacement saddle.

At this pint my only hope is people stop posting vintage Scwhinns in my area! I’m going to run out of room! LOL.

Yea, I know. The quality to selling price ratio makes vintage Schwinn's a relative bargain often times. It is probably helped by Schwinn's bankruptcy and the current Pacific owned Schwinn's being sold in department stores. Ignaz Schwinn must be having spasms in his grave.

I have a Schwinn Traveler that rides and feels an awful lot of my, dare I say it ........... Serotta Club Special. Now before you comment, please keep in mind that Ben Serotta came up with the Club Special as an kind of all around sporty bike, not a criterium racer. So it was a little more comfortable than some of the Italian race bikes, and that was a full ten or more years ahead of Schwinn. With the availability of good quality double butted tubing Schwinn was able to offer a frame that was similar to a custom builder ten year ago.
Old 08-08-23, 04:21 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 2,610 Times in 1,087 Posts
You guys are killing me with posting those bikes…all three are awesome!

Thought this forum would talk me off the Scwhinn-buying ledge but instead it’s just pushing me over it. LOL
If you had visited more often over the years, you would know that this group is all about enabling. You will get about 100 responses of "go for it" for every one "no, don't it." We love spending other people's money for them.
Old 08-11-23, 11:07 AM
gstein

I’m getting close to finding all the parts to complete the Circuit. The Schwinn catalog says the 1989 Circuit came with a San Marco Rolls saddle.

Does anyone have a picture of the back/rear of the saddle? Would it have looked like this?

Old 08-11-23, 01:07 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked 3,500 Times in 1,226 Posts
Yes.
Old 08-12-23, 08:54 AM
gstein

Quick question…

So I can purchase a San Marco Rolls to match the original saddle or can re-wrap a vintage saddle I already have with black leather.

Do you think it is worth the extra cost to have the Circuit as close to original as possible with Rolls saddle or is there some “forgiveness” (meaning the value is essentially the same) when it comes to non-original saddles (similar to other consumables)?
Old 08-12-23, 09:14 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 2,707 Times in 1,261 Posts
Saddle and bar wrap is always a personal choice. Would look nice with a turbo on there. If your point is to keep it original then go that way. Worth is what you determine and someone else agrees to.
Old 08-12-23, 09:41 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 457 Posts
I have an '88 Premis in my rotation of bikes. Surprisingly nice ride for the original price.

Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 08-12-23, 09:52 AM
gstein

Originally Posted by curbtender
Saddle and bar wrap is always a personal choice. Would look nice with a turbo on there.
Well as luck would have it, the extra saddle I was going to wrap in black leather is a Turbo. It has several cracks from drying out too much, so I may just go that route and rewrap and use that saddle.
Old 08-15-23, 06:18 PM
gstein

Making progress. Found a Cinelli 110 stem and 64-42 handlebar. Ordered some new tires and decided for now to use the old Turbo saddle. Once the bar tape arrives and is installed I will go through and adjust everything. Can’t wait to take it for a spin and compare it to the other Schwinns.

Likes For gstein:
Old 08-16-23, 09:29 AM
pushrod

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Love that first blue one
Old 08-19-23, 04:12 PM
gstein

Bike is all done. Took a quick 5 mile test ride…wanted to ride farther but it is 105 degrees here today in Kansas City.

Bike rides so smooth, quiet and the Sante shifting is precise. Alot of fun to ride and can’t wait for a better day to take it on a longer ride. Will need to adjust the seat position and stem as my hands had a little more pressure on the hoods than I am use to. Of course part of that is due to knowingly riding a bike that is too big for me. Doesn’t matter I plan to keep it and enjoy it.

One final picture of completed bike along with the new lineup of road bikes.

Old 08-20-23, 12:45 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 2,035 Times in 991 Posts
YES.

Also, guess who wants their long-sold '85 Peloton back?
Old 08-20-23, 12:47 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 2,035 Times in 991 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
I have an '88 Premis in my rotation of bikes. Surprisingly nice ride for the original price.

This color combo and the Captain America red/white/blue Preludes from the same period are my favorite fun color Schwinns. I've come across a few in my size, but all have been a good bit rougher than I'd like. Someday...
Old 08-20-23, 07:36 AM
gstein

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
This color combo and the Captain America red/white/blue Preludes from the same period are my favorite fun color Schwinns. I've come across a few in my size, but all have been a good bit rougher than I'd like. Someday...
I already own a Premis but I am quite confident if I find one in my size with that paint scheme I’m taking it home. Something about that frame that says “Buy Me!”.
Likes For gstein:
Old 08-21-23, 06:50 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 654 Posts
The way you titled the thread, I thought you had a lot of them.

I'm the same way with 1970's Raleighs. I got started before you apparently, but you may be on your way to catching up. There may not be a cure for our disease, but it's not like we're hoarding derelict cars.
Old 08-21-23, 09:06 AM
sperry0202

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
These are so cool, love the natural brown grips/seats.
Old 08-21-23, 06:11 PM
joelzieve
Joel Zieve

Bikes: Trek: Fuel EX8 & Domane 4.5 Disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I can understand the addiction - I've only refurbished one, but it was so fun to work on and turned out great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.