Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Goood thoughts for Neil_B.......

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Goood thoughts for Neil_B.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-12, 08:40 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Heal well, Neil. Don't push a high gear for awhile.
Old 03-10-12, 10:10 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
Knees sure hurt for a body part that small. Been there with the nerve damage, it just sucks.
Hope it resolves and that your recovery goes well.
Old 03-11-12, 01:28 AM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
hang in there Neil. I know my day is coming but I haven't told the doctor that my knees are getting weaker.
Old 03-11-12, 02:39 AM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Best wishes for a full recovery. Take the PT seriously and with a smile, and emerge at your full potential.
Old 03-11-12, 06:05 PM
Neil_B

"... the weak-limned hour...." Or more precisely 48 hours after surgery.

Old 03-11-12, 06:23 PM
avmech

Bikes: 2003 Trek 5200, 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2018 Trek Domane SL 6

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
They have you on CPMs yet? Wife was on them as soon as she was out of surgery
Old 03-11-12, 06:23 PM
tergal

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NEIL you back , hows the drugs ... i mean legs
Old 03-11-12, 06:36 PM
Neil_B

Surgery took five hours and I lost a lot of blood, more than anticipated. The hospital has provided first class care. My surgeon has seen me three times since the operation, I've been working with physical therapists, my primary care doctor has been here, and the nursing staff is both caring and, I must admit, HOT. (I'm too old for them, unfortunately.)

I've seen Wfournier and his wife twice; they just dropped off my laptop so I could update my friends here. They also prayed with me. People from my church are coming this week.

I'm on a full schedule of medicines, most usual for this sort of surgery: Coumadin, a blood thinner to combat clotting; Celebrex, for pain releif; a stool softener, to help me get back into a regular routine (surgery and the drugs are terribly constipating), Percoset as needed, replacing morphine when I was on an IV; and Lyrica, which is usually perscribed for Restless Leg Syndrome but is used after bilateral knee replacements to help reduce 'night kicking.'

As mentioned upthread, I have some probable nerve damage from moving the right leg straight. This wasn't entirely unexpected. My surgeon, who does knee replacements all the time, says that while this happens now and again my right leg was as "bad as I've seen". The nerves were not cut, so the damage is from stretching. I'm told with a few months of treatment I'll be back to normal, whatever "normal" is. At the moment I have muscle and motor numbness in both feet, and in particular the right. When I get transferred to a rehab hospital in a couple of days we are going to work on getting me to walk and stand properly. At the moment I can't do either. I don't know how long I'll be in rehab, or how long until I get back on a bike. Its going to be one day at a time. In the meantime I have the resources of Phoenixville Hospital, my doctors, the medical staff, my friends here and elsewhere, my family, and my church. It hit me when Wfournier prayed with me this evening.....What a friend I have in Jesus....Sorry I have to stop writing now... I can't stop crying at my good fortune......

Old 03-11-12, 06:43 PM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by avmech
They have you on CPMs yet? Wife was on them as soon as she was out of surgery
Yes, and they are boring.

Old 03-11-12, 06:56 PM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by contango
Probably cycling home from the hospital
If it were another type of surgery I could do that. Phoenixville Hospital is about a dozen miles from my home. I did once ride to a doctor's appointment, his office being only a couple of minutes from the hospital.

https://www.phoenixvillehospital.com/...bout%20Us.aspx

Old 03-11-12, 06:58 PM
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever gets you through, just keep going.

My wife is a therapist, and wants you to know the ones who make progress are the ones that put in the effort.

Keep hammering on it.
Old 03-11-12, 07:16 PM
Neil_B

Big enemy is blood clots. Coumadin is there to prevent it. Hospital staff is monitoring my legs closely for any indication of clotting.

Old 03-11-12, 07:45 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome news Neil!! We're all cheering you on!
Old 03-11-12, 09:22 PM
Hill-Pumper

Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear that you are doing well as can be expected Neil. We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayer as you progress on!
Old 03-11-12, 10:55 PM
Ken_onabike

Bikes: Trek FX7.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great news that you are doing OK and that friends are there and helping out. Also great to see you're no longer "off grid". I'm sure those physical therapy folks will have you up and about in no time.
Old 03-12-12, 02:52 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Neil_B
If it were another type of surgery I could do that. Phoenixville Hospital is about a dozen miles from my home. I did once ride to a doctor's appointment, his office being only a couple of minutes from the hospital.

https://www.phoenixvillehospital.com/...bout%20Us.aspx
Even with the surgery you've had there's that part of me that half expects to suddenly see a picture of you on a bike somewhere

Do keep us posted, it seems there's a lot of us in here rooting for you.
Old 03-12-12, 04:35 AM
Rowan

Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Good to read that you are on the road to recovery after an extended wait for this surgery. I have a feeling that your biggest challenge is going to be how to learn to walk straight and upright because your back and other muscles have been so used to compensating for the defects in your knees.
Old 03-12-12, 09:40 AM
rec3036

Bikes: Trek 4300 Disc 21 inch frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great to hear you are doing reasonably well! keep positive and good things will happen!
Old 03-12-12, 10:04 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Looks like you got your legs shaved, you roadie you.

Or were they already shaved.
Old 03-12-12, 10:08 AM
magohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speedy recovery Neil - at first glance of the pic, I thought you were wearing Shimano cycling shoes
Old 03-12-12, 10:25 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by magohn
Speedy recovery Neil - at first glance of the pic, I thought you were wearing Shimano cycling shoes
Nah, those are electric devices that squeeze the foot moving blood around.

Old 03-12-12, 10:40 AM
mrdelprete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Neil,
Long time reader of your posts. Glad to hear you are doing well. Speady recovery to you!

Matt Del Prete
Old 03-12-12, 12:01 PM
Rona

Bikes: Pre-Grant Peterson Bridgestone Mixte, Gazelle Champion Mondial Semirace Mixte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to hear you made it through the surgery.

The good thing about such things is that 4 or 5 years from now you won't remember most of the suffering. You'll be healed up and kickin' it, and it will all be behind you.

Just keep looking towards the goal!
Old 03-12-12, 03:08 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Neil was transferred to Physical Rehab today. Progress!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 03-12-12, 03:28 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
They gave you a "stool softener" you say.

In Canada, a stool is a small seat.
I was having difficulty with constipation and butt pain when riding double centuries. The Doctor gave me a stool softener that I rubbed on my bicycle seat. It didn't do any good.

Sorry, That's the best joke I can come up with this early in the week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.