Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Zwift rides for Clydes

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-16, 08:37 PM
Flatbroke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got the Zwift up and running. The thing made one loop and my rider kept stopping. Why does that happen? It is possible to keep riding for and hour or 2 without having to restart the ride after a loop
Old 02-05-16, 08:47 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatbroke
The cadence on the Inride reads about 10 Rpms lower than the Garmin connected to the 510 but the calories are pretty close to the same. My speed sensors broke so I rely on the the Inride for that but since it focuses on watts it doesn't really matter to me anyway.
Inride cadence is of course, virtual (i.e. a guess) because how else do you estimate cadence when you're just measuring wheel speed. Given that it's actually surprisingly accurate. My speed/cadence sensor broke (this is what I get for buying one for $12) so I was just using the inRide by itself the other day. It works surprisingly well honestly. As TrainerRoad and Zwift (I use the former) are both power based, cadence and speed don't matter too much anyway.
Old 02-05-16, 09:01 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3217 Post(s)
Liked 1,757 Times in 1,060 Posts
Got the Zwift up and running. The thing made one loop and my rider kept stopping. Why does that happen? It is possible to keep riding for and hour or 2 without having to restart the ride after a loop
Of course it is. You're dropping your input signal to Zwift, probably. Affirm your cadence sensor battery has sufficient charge; I get periodic dropouts from low batteries in my sensor, which may be a deliberate notification/low battery warning.
Old 02-05-16, 12:10 PM
Flatbroke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Of course it is. You're dropping your input signal to Zwift, probably. Affirm your cadence sensor battery has sufficient charge; I get periodic dropouts from low batteries in my sensor, which may be a deliberate notification/low battery warning.
ok thanks. The battery is a little over a year old
Old 02-06-16, 03:01 PM
RomansFiveEight

Bikes: Nashbar CR5

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
$7 batteries link

$7 (or so) for enough CR2032 batteries to last you a while. It's what I use and, incidentally, DCRainMaker too. I change batteries every 6 months on everything, all at once, just as a matter of precaution (all sensors / all bikes)

Make sure the ANT+ stick is close by. The inRide is providing power via bluetooth, so it won't be affected by the ANT+ stick. Preferably, use your cadence sensor over inRide. inRide isn't super accurate (for cadence, it is for power) and if it erroneously drops to zero, even if you're feeding power, your rider will stop.

Worth noting that if you weigh more, on Richmond's super steep climbs or even Watopias hilly route; it's possible to not put out enough power to keep moving. I notice if I'm doing a workout module that has some super low recovery interval (like 65 watts or something), on Richmonds steep climbs, sometimes my avatar will just stop altogether; I'm literally not putting out enough power to climb the hill at ANY speed. P.S., if you like the workouts on the inRide app, definitely try the workout module on Zwift. It doesn't have a ton of selection (you can create your own or add more sourced from the internet); but what it does have works well. I really like the sweetspot interval workouts that it offers.
Old 02-19-16, 12:55 AM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what are you using as far as your cadence sensor goes?! the Wahoo one that the Kickr comes with is really better for their bluetooth apps, not Zwift. if you have an older Garmin, anything before the 1000/520 and you have their original cadence sensor that zip ties to your frame, that one works fine with the Kickr. if you have the newer one that uses rubber o-rings to hold the sensor onto your crank arm, that one doesn't work with with the Kickr then you have to install the Wahoo one that comes with the trainer. if your cadence sensor is installed and worked fine on the road, you could have 2 problems,. first, it could be the battery, but those 2032 batteries usually last a long time. second, make sure the ANT+ stick and USB extension cable are within 3 feet of your cadence sensor, cause the ANT+ stick should be no further than 3 feet from your sensors to get the most accurate readings. the only reason your rider should slow down and stop is if you stop pedaling, and you can do multiple laps and hours on Zwift without that happening other than you feeling tired and wanting to stop pedaling and take a short break...
Old 03-12-17, 04:55 PM
Flatbroke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bump for reference as I'm trying to figure it out again
Old 03-12-17, 07:40 PM
Lightchop

Bikes: Trek Domane S 5, Trek 1.1, Trek 8.2 DS

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the idea of a swift Clyde ride/race.

I do lots of races and some rides, and I am always one of the heaviest riders (114 kg) on the race results (zwiftpower).

I'm also not clear if the OP meant slow as opposed to Clyde. I don't equate the two, particularly for flat races.

I believe it would be possible to do this as an official race. There are women-only swift races after all.

And keep the usual cat A, B, C and D. Suppose there would not be as many A riders as usual!

Love the idea.
Old 03-12-17, 08:08 PM
Lightchop

Bikes: Trek Domane S 5, Trek 1.1, Trek 8.2 DS

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should add - hopefully it's clear to the OP and everyone that there are 1.5-2.0 w/kg rides frequently on zwift.

But the idea of a Clyde ride would be great nonetheless.
Old 03-13-17, 10:25 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I saw a clyde ride on Zwift last Thursday. I haven't tried any group activities yet.

For those of you with the KK trainers - the "smart control" models are the ones you really want for zwift, and you can buy the module as an add-on for their smart trainers.

I did the mountain-8 loop last Thursday - took me about an hour and a half, which means I was able to tolerate riding my bike on a trainer for about an hour and 20 min. longer than my pre-zwift self ever could.
Old 03-13-17, 05:02 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I saw a clyde ride on Zwift last Thursday. I haven't tried any group activities yet.

For those of you with the KK trainers - the "smart control" models are the ones you really want for zwift, and you can buy the module as an add-on for their smart trainers.

I did the mountain-8 loop last Thursday - took me about an hour and a half, which means I was able to tolerate riding my bike on a trainer for about an hour and 20 min. longer than my pre-zwift self ever could.
I just got started on Zwift today. I'm using a Tacx Flux that just arrived. So far it's been easy to set up but I haven't attempted to complete a ride yet.

What among the structured training program offered on Zwift are members here on the Clydesdale forum using? I'm considering the Century Training program since endurance is a primary goal with hill climbing a secondary goal.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-13-17 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-13-17, 05:23 PM
Flatbroke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Second day trying to use it and the game freezes at 35-40 min
Old 03-13-17, 07:07 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Mine has never frozen. Generally, "they" say it's data dropouts if that happens, or your wifi network getting flaky.

As for training programs, I haven't tried any yet - I only fired it up for the first time a week ago. I'm still in base building / JRA mode for now. I'll probably find some sort of FTP builder when I get to that stage.

Curiously, I seem to be underwatted in Zwift. I did a comparison chart of my quarq power to the wahoo kickr power and the kickr is consistently light by about 20-40 watts. I did calibrate the thing but it looks like another one is in order.
Old 03-13-17, 07:46 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

I've been using Zwift since it was in pre-release beta, and have never had it freeze up, either. A data transmission dropout should just cause your rider to pull over and unclip, not freeze the game, so I'm thinking it's underspec'd hardware causing Flatbroke's problem. Could be network/internet, but I'd expect poor performance in other activities to make that clear, like inability to stream movies, or poor web browsing performance.

I have not done any of the Zwift workouts, so no feedback on that. I either execute my own workouts (well from my coach, which we do on stationaries in the studio) or just mix it up on Zwift with other riders and make it up as I go along, sprinting here n there, doing easy efforts, or whatever.
Old 03-14-17, 04:02 PM
DoubleTap

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP here, and I'll note that this thread began in January 2016. When I started this thread, I was hoping to organize an occasional Clyde ride (fast or slow) to add more organized events to the calendar and hopefully do it with some folks on this forum. A lot has happened with Zwift since then, including a lot more organized rides. Now, it seems there's plenty of rides 24/7, and I've been participating in those and also doing some of the workouts.

It would still be fun to have a regular organized ride for this forum. My schedule is too irregular to permit me to be a consistent organizer/leader, but I'd participate and help if somebody else wants to organize it.
Old 03-14-17, 04:22 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts

As for training programs, I haven't tried any yet - I only fired it up for the first time a week ago. I'm still in base building / JRA mode for now. I'll probably find some sort of FTP builder when I get to that stage.
For you, just do 2x20's at 300W or 2x12's at 330W. Once a week is enough to get you the needed fitness.

Curiously, I seem to be underwatted in Zwift. I did a comparison chart of my quarq power to the wahoo kickr power and the kickr is consistently light by about 20-40 watts. I did calibrate the thing but it looks like another one is in order.
You need to send me your quarq and I'll test it out to verify it's correct I'll send it back by Mid October... maybe earlier
Old 03-15-17, 12:40 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by IBOHUNT
For you, just do 2x20's at 300W or 2x12's at 330W. Once a week is enough to get you the needed fitness.

You need to send me your quarq and I'll test it out to verify it's correct I'll send it back by Mid October... maybe earlier
I'm not falling for your nonsense this time, Mac!
Old 03-15-17, 12:06 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

I'm not falling for your nonsense this time, Mac!
How bout I write you a (bad) check?
Not like you'll need a power meter to crush those Bali KOMs
Old 03-15-17, 02:29 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by IBOHUNT
How bout I write you a (bad) check?
Not like you'll need a power meter to crush those Bali KOMs
You think that's awesome? YOU should see the KOM I have in Las Vegas. A segment that is 6 seconds, downhill, around a curve.
Old 03-15-17, 02:47 PM
IBOHUNT

You think that's awesome? YOU should see the KOM I have in Las Vegas. A segment that is 6 seconds, downhill, around a curve.
Old 03-15-17, 02:55 PM
IBOHUNT

I got a few in South Carolina.. One runs from Georgetown to Route 544 near Mrytle Beach. It's 27 1/2 miles.
There's others down there... 19.9 miles, 12.2 miles, 9.9 miles, 7.9 miles

None of this short sprinty garbage
Old 03-15-17, 03:02 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by DoubleTap
OP here, and I'll note that this thread began in January 2016. When I started this thread, I was hoping to organize an occasional Clyde ride (fast or slow) to add more organized events to the calendar and hopefully do it with some folks on this forum. A lot has happened with Zwift since then, including a lot more organized rides. Now, it seems there's plenty of rides 24/7, and I've been participating in those and also doing some of the workouts.

It would still be fun to have a regular organized ride for this forum. My schedule is too irregular to permit me to be a consistent organizer/leader, but I'd participate and help if somebody else wants to organize it.
Probably easier just to try and get a bunch of people to join an existing ride. Stick a BF after your name so people know who you are.

I just did a PAC group ride today at 11:30 am, which was entertaining. They said it was a 1.5 W/kg ride... I'm not really sure what w/kg has to do with a flattish ride but who am I to complain. Ended up with an average speed of just slightly over 20 mph, so drafting is real!
Old 03-16-17, 07:21 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I set Zwift to read my sensors (cadence, heart rate, power meter), and it still controls my trainer.

Now Zwift can also pull "power" data from my trainer if I set it up to so that.
Old 03-29-17, 05:13 PM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 108 Posts
I think in the 2 years I have been on zwift I might have seen one other clyde. It would be interesting to see others on there. I end my name with _clyde.
Old 04-01-17, 11:09 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
I think in the 2 years I have been on zwift I might have seen one other clyde. It would be interesting to see others on there. I end my name with _clyde.
How can you see if someone is a clyde?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.