Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Summer Bike Helmet

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Summer Bike Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-24, 03:17 PM
50PlusCycling

Liked 1,066 Times in 523 Posts
I’ve been using a POC Ventral Air helmet for a few months. It’s very cool, and so light that it feels like you aren’t even wearing a helmet. It’s available in a large number of colors.
Old 05-31-24, 05:34 PM
Mtracer

Liked 433 Times in 272 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeDeason
Not a fan of Mips, safety aside, definitely going to sweat more and not as good a feel against my shaved head.
You might want to try wearing a thin skull cap for more comfort. I wear one year around (though larger ones to cover ears in the winter. It functions like a sweat band, but I was finding the combination sweat band and helmet making my hair develop weird cowlicks. So, the skull cap holds my hair down neatly without bunching it up in weird ways.

Anyway, with a shaved head, I think you might find it much more comfortable.

As for white vs black. No question all things being equal a black surface will absorb more radiated heat than a white one. But often there is not much difference due to the glossiness of the surface. Shinny black may reflect more heat than dull or dirty white. In the case of helmets, you have an inch or so of insulation between the outer surface and your head. So, even if the outer surface temperatures where different to any large degree, its not likely to make much difference inside the helmet.

Throw in all the ventilation and the air movement, and I doubt the color matters at all.
Old 05-31-24, 06:42 PM
MikeDeason

Liked 139 Times in 97 Posts
Might have to, MIPS is brutal against clean shaven head.

And chemicals in sunscreen will likely destroy the foam and also possibly degrade the plastic. My steering wheel “leather” got destroyed from sunscreen left on my hands. Didn’t notice until too late.
Old 06-01-24, 04:33 AM
MikeDeason

ordered this. Lots on Amazon to chose from and hard to know which.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0B42Q37VZ/...9kZXRhaWw&th=1
Old 06-01-24, 04:51 AM
bboy314

Liked 1,542 Times in 746 Posts
Your helmet has padding between MIPS and scalp, no? Also I think removing the MIPS will render the helmet ineffective since it’s built into the design. Probably makes more sense to just remove the helmet.
Old 06-01-24, 05:49 AM
MikeDeason

Going to try a skull cap in the MIPS helmet first

Mips helmet v non Mips.

Old 06-01-24, 06:31 AM
Mtracer

Liked 433 Times in 272 Posts
ordered this. Lots on Amazon to chose from and hard to know which.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0B42Q37VZ/...9kZXRhaWw&th=1
Here's an Amazon link to the ones I'm currently using for warm weather riding:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You may also want a light color for summer riding if the gaps in the helmet allow the sunlight to reach parts of your scalp. It may on me, but I have hair which provides insulation so it's not something I notice.

The ones you linked look to cover you ears, so maybe better for cold weather. But you also may want something a bit thicker and perhaps a cool weather cap that is smaller would work. Or maybe it would work for you to fold up the lower edge to keep it off your ears. Thoiugh for me, I know that makes things too bulky for my sunglasses to fit comfortably.

As you said,there are many options. Fortunately they are inexpensive so you can try several without spending much. Once you find what works, get a few extra and you'll be set for years.
Old 06-01-24, 07:09 AM
Koyote

Liked 11,843 Times in 5,059 Posts
Going to try a skull cap in the MIPS helmet first

Looks like you chose a pretty poor MIPS helmet with little padding. That's a problem with your choice, not with MIPS helmets in general.
Old 06-01-24, 07:13 AM
MikeDeason

I feel that extra layer of plastic traps heat and I sweat more. My head is wet when pulling off helmet where it never was with non mips.

but yea. I went for a cheap Specialized as an experiment to see if I wanted to drop big $$$ on a Mips

it got very good reviews
Old 06-01-24, 07:21 AM
PeteHski

Liked 5,878 Times in 3,628 Posts
I feel that extra layer of plastic traps heat and I sweat more. My head is wet when pulling off helmet where it never was with non mips.

but yea. I went for a cheap Specialized as an experiment to see if I wanted to drop big $$$ on a Mips

it got very good reviews
There are MIPS helmets with class leading ventilation eg Lazer G1 Genesis MIPS as used by several World Tour teams. MIPS integration is better in some helmets than others. I sweat like a pig and the Lazer G1 is fine. Tested on 4500m climbing days in 40degC summer heat. Black one too 😂
Old 06-01-24, 07:24 AM
Koyote

Liked 11,843 Times in 5,059 Posts
I'm just gonna say this: you often seem to have very little experience and info, and yet you still reach these broad conclusions...conclusions which are often wrong. Try to learn more and opine less.

Go to a store and look at more MIPS helmets, and you will see that many of them (shoot, perhaps most) DO NOT have that hard plastic shell inside.

Again, the problem(s) with your helmet are not universally attributable to MIPS design requirements. You just bought a cheap helmet.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-01-24, 07:34 AM
bboy314

Liked 1,542 Times in 746 Posts
So you bought a cheap helmet to see what an expensive helmet might feel like?
Likes For bboy314:
Old 06-01-24, 08:02 AM
MikeDeason

Mainly to check out Mips and affect of white at a stoplight or standing bike line. Helmet won’t go to waste. Gets good safety review and wifey has lots of hair so that exposed plastic layer won’t be a bother. Also may work fine with a skull cap.