Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding on sidewalks

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding on sidewalks

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-22, 12:30 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Yep. Last summer I found myself behind a group ride on a winding two-lane road in an area with a fair amount of traffic. Was behind a group of about 20 to 30 that not only took the lane, but also had riders riding in the oncoming traffic lane when there was oncoming traffic, at times riding 5 abreast and requiring oncoming traffic to move onto the shoulder. I was behind them for at least 15 minutes until I reached my turn off. Passing was not possible. They were not riding 20-25 mph either, more like 10-12 mph.

I was patient, but it was ridiculous.
This sounds absolutely fantastical to me - this sounds less like a bike ride and more like a protest a la Critical Mass. There's a world of difference between this scenario and that of a group rightfully taking the lane to prevent a dangerous squeeze-though attempt by impatient drivers behind them.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-20-22, 12:31 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
If there is a two lane street, that has heavy traffic, and no shoulder, why not ride on the sidewalk?
Likes For rydabent:
Old 04-20-22, 12:36 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9660 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
This sounds absolutely fantastical to me - this sounds less like a bike ride and more like a protest a la Critical Mass. There's a world of difference between this scenario and that of a group rightfully taking the lane to prevent a dangerous squeeze-though attempt by impatient drivers behind them.
I agree. I'm just saying that the courtesy should go both ways.
Old 04-20-22, 12:49 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10541 Post(s)
Liked 12,119 Times in 6,205 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
If there is a two lane street, that has heavy traffic, and no shoulder, why not ride on the sidewalk?
Provided you go at walking speed, don't take up the whole sidewalk, and yield to pedestrians. But the OP described taking to the sidewalk to pass a group of cyclists, which rather suggests going faster than walking pace.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-20-22, 01:06 PM
EviLDORK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse, Canondale Touring 1, Salsa Mukluk, Masi Uno, Trek 850

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Riding on sidewalks is illegal where I live, and I used to be very opposed to bicycling on sidewalks myself until I went through a period of frequently getting hit with trash while waiting in the median riding the legal way. Taking the sidewalk for a freeway overpass on my commute let me avoid waiting for a car to activate a green light for me as well as avoid being a sitting duck for trashy drivers.
Old 04-20-22, 02:04 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2664 Post(s)
Liked 5,876 Times in 3,022 Posts
My wife and I were riding our tandem through Sammamish Washington when a woman in an SUV yelled at us, just before she crossed in front of us, “get on the sidewalk!”. Now since we were doing about 18 MPH and it was next to a shopping area, not a great idea. Besides, I had to yell back, “It’s illegal”. Which it was, at least there.

Old 04-20-22, 02:13 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
My wife and I were riding our tandem through Sammamish Washington when a woman in an SUV yelled at us, just before she crossed in front of us, “get on the sidewalk!”. Now since we were doing about 18 MPH and it was next to a shopping area, not a great idea. Besides, I had to yell back, “It’s illegal”. Which it was, at least there.
I'm not surprised that some drivers don't know the traffic laws.

That's why I have been advocating to include bicycle training as part of driver's education AND when drivers renew their plates and licences, a list of new and updated traffic laws since their last renewal.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 04-20-22, 03:01 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 967 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Looked at another way - here, the law requires cyclists "moving at less than the speed of traffic" to ride as close to the right edge of the road as practicable. If there's one car and 20 cyclists, the cyclists ARE the traffic.
That would be an incorrect way of looking at it. You know that's not what the law means.

Most states allow no more than 2 abreast and only if it's not holding up other traffic.
Old 04-20-22, 03:02 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 786 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Hey guys, how often do you ride on sidewalks? Are there roads that are sketchy enough that you stick to the sidewalk? As a kid I rode on the sidewalks all the time, but now I feel like they are pretty darn dangerous. I don’t feel comfortable on sidewalks but will take it if it seems like the best line (an occasion that comes to mind is when I came across a slower group of cyclists coming to a stop at a stop sign, I went to the right and took the sidewalk for a block.)
You're really good at this stuff! Kudos to you sir, Kudos!

Likes For Camilo:
Old 04-20-22, 03:03 PM
njkayaker

once a group hits a critical size its safer to just be a swarm and take over the road. A car passing 50+ cyclists riding single or double file is not going to have a good time
You have no legal right to ride as a group. If a group reaches a "critical size", there's an option not to ride in a group.
Old 04-20-22, 03:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by njkayaker
That would be an incorrect way of looking at it. You know that's not what the law means.

Most states allow no more than 2 abreast and only if it's not holding up other traffic.
You're not holding up traffic if you're the traffic. Drivers' rights do not supercede cyclists' rights.

Old 04-20-22, 03:09 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
That's why I have been advocating to include bicycle training as part of driver's education AND when drivers renew their plates and licences, a list of new and updated traffic laws since their last renewal.
I learned how to "drive" on a motorcycle and, following that, I thought that all drivers should be subjected to the same education - unless you're a complete moron, your sense of vulnerability leads to greater awareness of conditions, the behavior and patterns of drivers around you, etc, and it think that it helps to anticipate, to think a couple steps ahead, to always have an out, etc. After tens of thousands of miles on a bike, I think that it's a similarly useful, teaching some of the same things but also some empathy, as well. That and, at least in the US, many of our fat asses could use the exercise in addition to the education.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-20-22, 03:13 PM
njkayaker

You're not holding up traffic if you're the traffic.
No. You can certainly impede traffic in a car (which is traffic). Cyclists aren't generally covered by the "impeding traffic" law because they can move to the right to allow other traffic through.

Note that pedestrians are "traffic" too (see how far you'd get strolling in the middle of a 50mph lane).

Drivers' rights do not supercede cyclists' rights.
Cyclists don't generally have the right to ride where ever they like. You are assuming rights they don't have.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...r=1.&article=4.

(a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:
Looked at another way - here, the law requires cyclists "moving at less than the speed of traffic" to ride as close to the right edge of the road as practicable. If there's one car and 20 cyclists, the cyclists ARE the traffic.
No, it's actually "a speed less than the normal speed of traffic".

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-20-22 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-20-22, 03:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Dude. Pedestrians are not vehicles. Bicycles are vehicles. Therefore cyclists are vehicular traffic.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-20-22, 03:47 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2733 Post(s)
Liked 489 Times in 354 Posts
No. You can certainly impede traffic in a car (which is traffic). Cyclists aren't generally covered by the "impeding traffic" law because they can move to the right to allow other traffic through.

Note that pedestrians are "traffic" too (see how far you'd get strolling in the middle of a 50mph lane).

Cyclists don't generally have the right to ride where ever they like. You are assuming rights they don't have.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...r=1.&article=4.

No, it's actually "a speed less than the normal speed of traffic".
it’s very dangerous for a swarm of riders to attempt to double up to let a car pass. The police don’t expect us to, there have been rides doing the same thing for decades.
Old 04-20-22, 03:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18529 Post(s)
Liked 15,889 Times in 7,458 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
For one, there could be literally hundreds of people on the sidewalk.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-20-22, 03:54 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18529 Post(s)
Liked 15,889 Times in 7,458 Posts
What’s next for the OP? A waving thread?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-20-22, 04:21 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
Do whatever you feel is safest for the area that you're riding, don't let other people dictate to you on how to ride and where to ride.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-20-22, 04:49 PM
njkayaker

Dude. Pedestrians are not vehicles. Bicycles are vehicles. Therefore cyclists are vehicular traffic.
??? You had to qualify it as "vehicular traffic" to exclude pedestrians.

Anyway...

https://dictionary.findlaw.com/definition/traffic.html

2 a: the movement (as of vehicles or pedestrians) through an area or along a route
b: the vehicles, pedestrians, ships, or planes moving along a route
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/traffic

Definition of traffic (Entry 1 of 2)

: the vehicles, pedestrians, ships, or planes moving along a route
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/traffic

noun
the movement of vehicles, ships, persons, etc., in an area, along a street, through an air lane, over a water route, etc.:the heavy traffic on Main Street.
the vehicles, persons, etc., moving in an area, along a street, etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic

Traffic comprises pedestrians, vehicles, ridden or herded animals, trains, and other conveyances that use public ways (roads) for travel and transportation.
https://www.definitions.net/definition/traffic

the aggregation of things (pedestrians or vehicles) coming and going in a particular locality during a specified period of time
(Some definitions restrict traffic to vehicles.)

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-20-22 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-20-22, 05:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

You realize that the legal codes have different laws for pedestrians and vehicles, right? That's why pedestrians don't have to, for example, stand in the left turn lane to make a left turn at an intersection, the way vehicles (cars, trucks, bikes, motorcycles, etc.) do.

So jumping back and forth between legal codes and dictionary definitions makes for a meaningless argument.

EDIT: It would also blow a hole in the ass of your "Normal speed of traffic" argument if you say pedestrians are traffic, too, because then what's the normal speed of traffic? An average of foot traffic and vehicular traffic(all vehicles)? You were actually doing reasonably well with that argument till you overshot and threw in pedestrians. Then you wandered off into semantics and got lost.

Last edited by genejockey; 04-20-22 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-20-22, 05:03 PM
njkayaker

it’s very dangerous for a swarm of riders to attempt to double up to let a car pass. The police don’t expect us to, there have been rides doing the same thing for decades.
Being in a "swarm of riders" is a choice. If it's something dangerous to get out of, maybe it's something you should avoid getting into in the first place.
Old 04-20-22, 05:06 PM
njkayaker

You realize that the legal codes have different laws for pedestrians and vehicles, right?
The laws for cyclists and drivers of motor vehicles are sometimes different too.

But this has no bearing on what "traffic" means.

That's why pedestrians don't have to, for example, stand in the left turn lane to make a left turn at an intersection, the way vehicles (cars, trucks, bikes, motorcycles, etc.) do.
Bicycles don't need licenses. I guess that makes them not traffic.

Cars are not allowed to drive on sidewalks (there's no CA state law prohibiting cyclists from using sidewalks). I guess that means cars are not traffic.

https://www.robertjkaiser.com/blog/2...%20to%20county.

And don't ignore the fact that you are wrong here.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-20-22 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-20-22, 05:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

BTW, if "traffic" does refer to vehicular traffic, and on a particular road there tend to be more cyclists than cars (happens all the time on Canada Rd, where Larry and I both ride), then what is the "normal speed of traffic", if MOST vehicles are going 15-25 mph except the motor vehicles which are going 50-70?

Old 04-20-22, 05:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

The laws for cyclists and drivers of motor vehicles are sometimes different too.

But this has no bearing on what "traffic" means.

Bicycles don't need licenses. I guess that makes them not traffic.

And don't ignore the fact that you are wrong here.
Are you enjoying your time out there in the weeds? Because you're making the argument more and more poorly.

Old 04-20-22, 05:14 PM
njkayaker

BTW, if "traffic" does refer to vehicular traffic, and on a particular road there tend to be more cyclists than cars (happens all the time on Canada Rd, where Larry and I both ride), then what is the "normal speed of traffic", if MOST vehicles are going 15-25 mph except the motor vehicles which are going 50-70?
"Normal speed" is ambiguous. That still doesn't mean a cyclist riding at a particular speed necessarily defines what "normal" is (which is what you were claiming).

It would need to be tested in court as to what "a reasonable person" would see it as. It seems likely that the speed limit would have some bearing to what "a reasonable person" would see the normal speed would be in a given/particular situation.

Are you enjoying your time out there in the weeds? Because you're making the argument more and more poorly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.