Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Another batch of Einsteins and their pets!!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Another batch of Einsteins and their pets!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 08:03 PM
Agave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out of control dogs are out numbered by stupid a-hole cyclists 100 to 1.

Last edited by Agave; 07-01-11 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-01-11, 09:22 PM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Old 07-01-11, 09:51 PM
larwyn

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I call him Bruno the Wonder Dog, because he is always wondering about something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bruno_BuckyBall1.jpg (91.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-02-11, 04:34 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Liked 1,357 Times in 790 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
As to my coined term "dogger," someone put a derogatory context to it. It was not meant that way. I used it simply to describe a walker and a dog combined in one uint - ergo "dogger." Not pejorative at all, simply descriptive.
And, I thought you were talking about the L.A. Doggers.
Old 07-02-11, 07:50 AM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Agave
I'm guessing the methodology used to collect your survey data has a bias.
Old 07-02-11, 08:14 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
And, I thought you were talking about the L.A. Doggers.
Naw, we are not bankrupt yet.
Old 07-02-11, 09:49 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Naw, we are not bankrupt yet.
I'm still rooting for the 1954 Giants and Willie.
Old 07-02-11, 04:15 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Liked 2,137 Times in 1,128 Posts
Originally Posted by Agave
Definition of stupid a-hole cyclist by nice friendly dog owner: cyclist riding on my road
Old 07-02-11, 07:42 PM
bkaapcke

Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
I once "let" a dog chase me by adjusting my speed so that he could just barely keep up. About five miles later he gave it up and I went on with my ride. Don't know what ever became of that dog. bk
Old 07-02-11, 08:13 PM
trek330

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I'm still rooting for the 1954 Giants and Willie.
I was named after Donald Meuller!
Old 07-02-11, 09:35 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by trek330
I was named after Donald Meuller!
I remember him well. Excellent hitter.
Old 07-02-11, 10:38 PM
davehbuffalo

Bikes: A Homer Hilsen and a bunch of pretty much worthless crap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by larwyn

To brag about kicking a dog is equivalent to a motorist bragging about running a bicyclist off the road.
Yes, because motorists are legitimately concerned I'm going to bite them.
Old 07-03-11, 08:43 AM
avmech

Bikes: 2003 Trek 5200, 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2018 Trek Domane SL 6

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
We have a doberman. When in our yard (1.15 acre, fenced in) she does not have a leash. When off property, she is always on leash. We do not use those retractable leashes, but a leather leash about 5 feet long. Yesterday, I am finishing my ride, wife is walking the dog off property. I saw them a short distance before coming up on them. Did not stop or slow down, however I waved to my wife. The dog barely looked at me, kept on walking. She does not bark or try to chase other dogs, people, cyclists, cars, etc when off property (when crossing others on the same sidewalk, the leash becomes a short leash). On property, she will bark at anything passing on the road, but that is it, she does not run after them. Funny part is that when on a walk, if we pass another yard with a dog that is running the fence and barking, all she does is stop on the grass, looks at them, pees, and walks off..................
Old 07-03-11, 09:46 AM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by avmech
We have a doberman. When in our yard (1.15 acre, fenced in) she does not have a leash. When off property, she is always on leash. We do not use those retractable leashes, but a leather leash about 5 feet long. Yesterday, I am finishing my ride, wife is walking the dog off property. I saw them a short distance before coming up on them. Did not stop or slow down, however I waved to my wife. The dog barely looked at me, kept on walking. She does not bark or try to chase other dogs, people, cyclists, cars, etc when off property (when crossing others on the same sidewalk, the leash becomes a short leash). On property, she will bark at anything passing on the road, but that is it, she does not run after them. Funny part is that when on a walk, if we pass another yard with a dog that is running the fence and barking, all she does is stop on the grass, looks at them, pees, and walks off..................
I can't tell you the number of times I've wished for the freedom of being a dog!
Old 07-03-11, 10:29 AM
Ali_Pine

Location: Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper

Bikes: Montague - Paratrooper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dogs like to win....

You chase them, they get away, they win.

You run from the dog, they chase and catch you, they win.

I've had dogs. They were always with the dope on a rope.
Old 07-03-11, 10:57 AM
missjean

Bikes: A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Years ago we had a big, dumb, friendly female german shepherd mix that would check out other dogs that might be walking down our street, but never seemed to show interest in people walking down the street.
One day I was working in the garden and the dog was hanging around with me when suddenly she took off running, giving a couple of short, mean sounding barks. I turned and saw she was heading right at a jogger. I shouted out NO! and took off after her. She stopped about 10 ft from the jogger, who was frightened out of wits. I apologized up & down to the guy, and felt like a heel.
I really never thought she would chase someone.
Old 07-04-11, 11:18 AM
GoGranny

Bikes: Giant Boulder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess we are really lucky here. On all my rides, the dog owners are attentive, hear my bell, and quickly confine and hold their dogs. I guess we bicyclers have trained them well. Oh, I also always say "Thank you" or something similar to the dog owner, and they smile.

As my grandmother used to say, a little sugar goes a long way

Last edited by GoGranny; 07-04-11 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Meant to use reply with quote
Old 07-04-11, 01:40 PM
billmc40

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Liked 152 Times in 55 Posts
We have a dog that chases us down a 2 lane county highway we ride. Owners just watch. I let the wife get a half a block or so ahead of me, I give him a good kick in the nads when i catch up. Sfter about 4 times of this he quit. Owner was pissed. On the oposite end of town a big old lab loves to run with us, I always end up taking him home. I own three dogs and love all animals. I think it is the owners fault not the animals.
BillMc
Old 07-04-11, 02:52 PM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You love all animals yet you kick the dog "in the nads"? WTF do you do if you hate something?
Old 07-05-11, 09:37 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by billmc40
..................... I think it is the owners fault not the animals.
BillMc
It's always the owners' fault. And, the dogs often pay for their stupidity.
Old 07-05-11, 08:23 PM
mafenwi

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
If you can foresee hurting the dog, you should develop a plan that precludes the possibility. Maybe you shouldn't be taking corners so fast. We get on car drivers all the time on this forum for saying they never saw the bike when the reality is they were driving too fast for conditions. On MUPs, bikes are the cars. Take it easy out there.
I didn't realize that I had to provide full details of the MUP in order to avoid unwanted advice. The MUP is divided like a road even with little yellow lines just like the road. Do I need to tell you that I am well within the cautionary limits? And on my side of the lane? Thanks for jumping to the wrong conclusion though...
Old 07-05-11, 08:38 PM
billmc40

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Liked 152 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by XR2
You love all animals yet you kick the dog "in the nads"? WTF do you do if you hate something?
I figure a little kick in the nads is better then pepper spray or a BB gun as some bikers do.
BillMc
Old 07-09-11, 04:48 AM
bruce19

Had an interesting encounter with a dog and owner. Last week a Pit mix that lives at a farm on a usual route chased me and my gf down the street. I've ridden this route for three yrs. and this was the first time I'd seen the dog. A few days ago I was riding solo past the same farm when the dog came out at me. This time it was in front of me and I had no place to go. So, I stopped and contemplated reaching for the pepper spray I carry. But, as I watched the dog come toward me I was sure it wasn't in attack mode. Then I heard the owner yelling, "Bad dog. Come back here." The owner was a young woman who came running from the yard. The dog turned around and went back to her. She then began apologizing profusely saying things like, "I'm so sorry. Did she bite your tires?" I was thinking, "Tires? That's the least of my worries." But, I just said, "No." She continued to apologize saying the dog chased after bicycle tires. (So, this has happened before then?) When she finally stopped apologizing and took a breath, I said, " I have two dogs myself. I love dogs. What really worries me is that your dog will run out in the street to chase a bicycle one of these days and get hit by a car. That would break my heart." I then went on to tell her that we had an Invisible Fence set up at our house and we no longer worry about our dogs running into the street. She thanked me for being so understanding and I didn't have to tell her that if her dog bit me I'd beat the hell out of it and possible her. I actually try to be reasonable before going into "f*ck You" mode. And, she was quite sincere in here apology. This was the same day I later crashed my Masi so I haven't been back on it yet and don't know if she's actually done anything to protect her dog from itself. I hope she has. I did my best.
Old 07-09-11, 05:14 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by teachme
Carry a gun or mace to protect yourself,
I'd love to carry a mace; never runs out of ammo, and it's far more satisfying than shooting an attacking animal, but Texas has all those dumb club prohibitions.

It's crazy; I'm licensed to drop a .44 in my bag, and wouldn't even need the license to have my shotgun slung over my shoulder, but there's not even a license available for carrying a mace, ASP or PR-24.
Old 07-09-11, 05:22 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by larwyn
As a dog owner all I have to say on the subject is incredibly stupid.
FIFY.

If you can't control your dog, it's going to get hurt. If your solution to the victim defending themselves from your uncontrolled animal is to attack them yourself, you're going to get hurt too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.