Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

My girlfriend's dad intentionally 'tapped' a cyclist

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

My girlfriend's dad intentionally 'tapped' a cyclist

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 02:43 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang1
I like post 14 and 16.

But you cant blame your gf for her dad's actions. Show her a few stories of cyclists being injured/killed on the road, I think she'll come round to understanding what the 'big deal' is.
Two cases that come to mind are how the "good doctor" out in LA is looking at serious jail time for swooping in front of cyclists and hitting the brakes. Find pictures of the guy who almost lost his nose. The other one is the incident down in Miami with Chris and the driver I won't name. And how Chris was minding his own business in the bike lane when he was hit from behind by an immature individual who at 0800 had a BAC of .122 and was killed.
Old 03-31-10, 03:26 PM
sanitycheck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not the daughter's fault if her father is a prick. Now, if she really sees nothing wrong with what he did, that is her fault, but she's still one step removed from the initial incident...and the fact that she knew you would be mad at her father suggests that she does know he did something wrong.

Avoiding the dad isn't something you can keep doing forever, so I would talk to him. Make sure you're in a frame of mind where you won't get angry or defensive, even if he does. Find out as much as he's willing to tell you about what happened. Tell him -- calmly -- why what he did is much more serious than he probably imagines (especially if the cyclist was moving when he "tapped" them with his car.) Explain to him why cyclists are right to ride in the lane much of the time, since he probably believes the cyclist was doing something wrong just by being there.

If he actually willing to consider the possibility that what he did was wrong, then give him the benefit of the doubt, invite him for a ride, and hope that you really have helped to change a bad guy's attitude before they hurt someone. If not...well, personally, I would tell him two things: "I respect you a lot less now," and "If you ever do hurt a cyclist, I will be there in court to testify that it's part of an ongoing pattern of behavior." If he offers enough specific details, and if they're egregious enough, then the third statement would be "Consider yourself reported to the police and the DMV."

Then it's up to his daughter to decide what to do. Possibly she'll team up with you and help him see the light. Possibly she'll side with him and dump you. If so, that's her choice; the initial act wasn't her fault, but if she's mature enough to handle an adult relationship, then she's mature enough to step back and see when someone is wrong, even if she loves them.

And if you tell her now how you plan to handle the issue with her father, maybe the two of you can come up with a much better plan that the one I've outlined. She knows her dad better than either of us, after all. As long as she's actually trying to help you get through to the guy, rather than to make excuses for him, then she's the best ally you could have here.

Last edited by sanitycheck; 03-31-10 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-31-10, 06:33 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
your girlfriend is an idiot.

She also tell you about being her dad's girlfriend? It wouldn't surprise me.
fify.
Old 03-31-10, 06:45 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xray1978
I would make up a story at the Easter table and say "Yeah I was on my bike today and some low-life mother Fu#$%^ prick tapped me on my bike, if I would have had a gun I would have put a cap in his ass for using a deadly weapon against me." What do you think DAD? Then just wait and see where it goes. Be sure to have fun with it.
This is it.
Old 03-31-10, 06:56 PM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There's a lot of fantasy going on here. Work it out guys.
Old 03-31-10, 07:05 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gji555
It was definitely his car hitting a person on a bike and not a hand out the window. She did not know, or choose to offer, much else for details. (Perhaps overwhelmed by my reaction.) So I don't know what direction he came from. I did not think to ask about the speed as my initial reaction would be that any speed would be dangerous. However, I suppose that 'rolling onto his wheel' while dangerous and illegal, (and likely resulting in a cleated bumper), would be different than trading paint on a high speed turn.
If you still want to consort with her, you better give up cycling. You are going to be judged by the company you keep and your cyclist friends aren't going to take kindly to your girlfriend since she is apparently ignorant of the dangers such people face and counts herself in with those who think running cyclists down is funny and just.
Old 04-01-10, 01:47 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
major problem for the OP:

fathers of girl friends are traditionally a man the boy wants to impress. additionally, the father is an intimidating authority figure. without his blessing there can be no play.

so there's a disconnect of sorts because the boy needs to deal with these feelings. without the right plan, or approach, the boy will avoid the man. this will not be good for his relationship with the girl. I wonder why the girl told the boy. is she testing him? chics suck.

advice? go on the weekend and get laid. about the old man ... always be in the moment

Last edited by rumrunn6; 04-01-10 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-01-10, 03:00 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
As others have asked, how important is your relationship with this girl? Is she someone that you see marrying somewhere down the road? If so what was her demeanor when you this? Did she seem to be genuinely upset by it, or did like her father think that it was funny.

Also as others have said she has gotten some of her humor from her parents, even if she may not like what her father did, on some sub-conscious level because of her being her father's daughter she might have thought it was funny. Hopefully she didn't but you never know.

I would as others have suggested first take her aside and talk to her and explain how dangerous what her father did is, and how it could have been you or her other there on the street that he had just "tapped."

After talking with her and seeing if she is on your side vs. her fathers approach him again as others have said in as non-threatening a manner as possible and let him know how dangerous what he did is/was. Let him know that if there were witnesses to it that the police could very well be looking at him, as if I am not mistaken isn't what he did basically a hit and run? You said that he "tapped/hit" him with his car and then left, right?

If after having it explained to him why what he did is/was wrong consider going to the local police station with the description of his car, his plate number, his name, address, and phone number and turn him in. If the victim has filed a report there's a good chance that it's gone "cold" by now do to a lack of evidence. Your turning him in could be the break that they need to bring formal charges against him.

Even if the police aren't actively looking for him a report can help establish a pattern of behavior for the future.
Old 04-01-10, 03:29 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
If so what was her demeanor when you this?
???
Old 04-01-10, 04:43 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by sggoodri
Here's the most constructive approach for your relationship:

Guide the conversation by asking her questions that make her think about your feelings and express them back to you. Ask her how she thinks you feel when you hear someone intentionally hit someone with their car and thought it was funny. Ask her what her own thoughts on the issue are. Ask her why she thinks her opinions about cycling safety and road sharing matter to you. Ask her how she feels about her father passing you with his car on the roadway. Ask her if she thinks there is anything constructive that could be said to her father about it or if she thinks he poses a danger to anyone.

Note that you're not telling her what she should think; you are using a Socratic approach that leads her to thoughtful conclusions on her own. Hopefully.

This process will reveal whether or not she has the degree of empathy for you that you require for your relationship. If you determine that she does, then you know where you stand with her and you can decide together how to deal with her father, or you may decide to not do anything.

If you get her into cycling, her father may develop some sensitivity on his own.
As difficult as it can be, I like this approach a lot. It will either have a constructive result with her and create some enlightenment, will totally tick her off (stop messing with my head!), or reveal her true feelings to you (yes, if it had been a gun and he missed, no harm done, right?).

I'd think twice about "making a video." There are sooooo many ways that can backfire on you in the future.

It would be good to know the circumstances of the "tapping" a little better.

If you're acquainted with a cop or maybe a lawyer, have a hypothetical discussion about what to do with your knowledge.
Old 04-01-10, 04:46 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker
Maybe you are over-reacting. Maybe dad tapped the cyclist in the same manner one would tap their girlfriend. He didn't get hurt. He didn't even fall over. How do you know the cyclist wasn't "asking for it"? Is there anything wrong with love?
Sounds like bike ****.
Old 04-01-10, 05:57 AM
iforgotmename

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
she wants to break up with you - that's why she told you

you want to break up with her - that's why you backed out of the trip

seems so simple from this side of the internet
Brilliant!
Old 04-01-10, 06:48 AM
MTBLover
But on the road more

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe '07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
she wants to break up with you - that's why she told you

you want to break up with her - that's why you backed out of the trip

seems so simple from this side of the internet
I have to say- that's exactly what I though on reading the post. Forget the revenge, etc. Just man up and face your real feelings (and hers) here.
Old 04-01-10, 07:39 AM
thdave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd dump her.

Not for the father--that's something that can probably be worked out. Can't imagine he's assaults people regularly.

But unless she wanted to change her father and was on your side, which she clearly isn't, why would she tell you about this? That's the issue, since it's such a stupid thing to bring up. Doesn't help anyone and for her to laugh about it shows immaturity. I don't see much joy in dating a catty, immature woman.
Old 04-01-10, 08:03 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2433 Post(s)
Liked 4,448 Times in 2,108 Posts
Is this thread not a massive April Fools troll that warmed up a few days early?

-Colonel Klink

Old 04-01-10, 08:08 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6814 Post(s)
Liked 5,529 Times in 3,257 Posts
What a stew!

Lot's of good stuff about needing more info especially why and when.

I enraged some redneck putz years ago by claiming a right hand lane at a stoplight. He tells me out of his pick up truck window I belong on the side walk not the middle of the road. I tell him to mind his own business. He states that "That's some attitude you've got there" and I tell him I got it on sale at K-mart and if he wants one they had a couple left. Putz gets out of his truck (this is at a stoplight right before the entrance to a military airfield where I was going to ride the perimeter) and starts to come at me as the light turns. I sprint away and he actually chases me across the street leaving his truck blocking the middle lane of traffic.

My inclination would be to advise the OP just to walk away from any idea of a long term relationship with this girl as I would hate to have to look at that SOB over a holiday dinner table. When you're 26 YO there are lots and lots of other opportunities as I remember.
Old 04-01-10, 08:16 AM
sanitycheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
I sprint away and he actually chases me across the street leaving his truck blocking the middle lane of traffic.
Now all you needed was a comrade/alert bystander to take the keys from his ignition, and your work here would be done.
Old 04-01-10, 09:00 AM
sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sanitycheck
Now all you needed was a comrade/alert bystander to take the keys from his ignition, and your work here would be done.
Would've been hilarious if someone stole the truck with such an easy opportunity.
Old 04-01-10, 09:03 AM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm entering text, just to see how this ends up. heehee
Old 04-01-10, 03:34 PM
gji555

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First of all, thanks for all the replies from the serious, semi-serious to hilarious.

Secondly, I thought I'd post an update on our Come-to-Jesus discussion and plans for moving forward.

We had a chat yesterday because both of us were on edge after the discussion described in the original post. I sincerely tried to find out about HER opinion regardless of her dad's. Despite my efforts to be open, she said I was trying to make her feel bad, which I promise you is not the case. I asked direct questions, because I needed direct answers. I think my problem was the timing. It was too late to feel out an answer because it was already so obvious that I strongly disagree with her dad so she was uncomfortable saying anything being nervous I was going to get upset again. I can understand that.

Her description of funny and defense of her dad, is that eventually, later on in life, after the dust clears and you recall the story, there may be laughs but no it is not funny or ok to hit a cyclist. I'm not so sure I agree with that. I shake my head at the hassle of dealing with a non-injury car vs. car fender bender I had at the mall a couple years ago, (other driver's insurance paid for it) but its not neccessarily funny. I've never laughed at that scenario.

She couldn't see the similarity of me tapping her car with mine.
T
urns out the incident with her dad was over 5 years ago, which brings us back to the paragraph above about how she thinks it would be funny later on in life. Again, no injury but I still don't think its funny. I think we can and should laugh at our own mistakes when no one gets hurt and you learn something from it. This was not a mistake. No one learned anything. This mistake kills and doing it on purpose is unacceptable. She said she can't defend the intentional part. But then again, how could anyone? The vague description of the incident goes something like "he was in the road and the dad couldn't get around." I'm guessing if there was some huge error or jerk move by the cyclist, that would have been the first defense. If you can't remember why it happended, theres a good chance her dad was just being a run of the mill D-bag.

So, with all that said, I value our relationship but it is on edge. I'm not going to end it for something her dad did 5 years ago but I will certainly have a heightened awareness for indication that these things are ok. I have agreed to go on the weekend trip to the beach and have decided that I will not be an instigator and will not bring up the incident. (Even though I'll probably be thinking of it the whole time and once we're face to face it will be a struggle.) I am, however, bringing my bike, and plan on getting two good rides in Sat and Sun morning. This was something I was planning on doing in the first place. I'm going to enjoy riding in a new area as planned. Cycling will obviously come up in discussions because I'll be spending a good amount of time doing that on my own, without them. I'm not going to stop doing the things I like to avoid confrontation. If they bring up funny incidents because I'm riding about hitting people, I'll be prepared to defend myself and drive home solo wondering if they can fit everyone's bags into daddy's car. That's just something I don't want to be around. I don't expect everyone to share my hobby but people with general disdain for what I do at the end of the day are just not a good fit.

I'm trying to be fair because I am very far from a perfect person myself. My responses have felt mostly right. Sorry for the rambling post, just wanted to address the questions. I hope to give an update Monday w/ or w/o video footage.
Old 04-01-10, 03:43 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2433 Post(s)
Liked 4,448 Times in 2,108 Posts
Originally Posted by gji555
Despite my efforts to be open, she said I was trying to make her feel bad, which I promise you is not the case.
She is pulling one of these on you:

-Kurt

Old 04-01-10, 03:49 PM
deep_sky

Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not about the fact that the incident was 5 years ago, its about how she can't grasp that pointing a loaded gun at someone and threatening to pull the trigger isn't funny, which is what her dad was doing when he clipped that cyclist intentionally. That kind of stupid tends to spread around, and make people overall be unable to understand anything outside their narrow viewpoint. She sounds to me like she is not long term material, especially since she seems to think that threatening cyclists with bodily harm is a funny ha-ha or harmless at worst.
Old 04-01-10, 03:58 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
???
Sorry, the words didn't make it from my mind to my fingers to the keyboard. It should have read:

"If so what was her demeanor when she told you this?"
Old 04-01-10, 04:14 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 53 Posts
Karo syrup in the gas tank ought to do the trick.
Old 04-01-10, 05:16 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
hey be careful riding somewhere new!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.